Yawgmoth, Thran Physician
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Protection from Humans ((Remember the acronym debt.) This creature can't be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by anything Human.)
Pay 1 life, Sacrifice another creature: Put a -1/-1 counter up to one target creature and draw a card.
, Discard a card: Proliferate. (Choose any number of permanents and/or players, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
|Have (3)||lorddarkstar , , CampbellStev|
|Want (2)||golgarigirl , Redbeard09|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Yawgmoth, Thran Physician Discussion
4 hours ago
Hey BransBranflakes, I like the list! Thanks for the inspiration.
But the further i read on Tayam, the more bland he becomes with the same infinite combos between Ashnod's Altar and various creatures you noted (and Weaponcraft Enthusiast ). What is your experience on the diversity of Tayam and people who play against it? Is it the same song and dance with this commander every game, or can you win on different matters?
The ability got me with so many ideas.. I mean its nothing like Karador! First I was thinking of going tokens with a sacrifice subtheme. I could use Teysa, Orzhov Scion that can also create white tokens from the black tokens that e.g. Dreadhorde Invasion or Ophiomancer create. It will be an endless loop!.. Or landfall, as Tayam can make some cool land recurring triggers using Evolution Sage , Felidar Retreat and many more landfall critters. He also makes a cool Abzan coloured Enchantress (recurring Animate Dead or Pernicious Deed while drawing cards from Setessan Champion and enchantresses alike and even a Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons subtheme sounds good, where Ammit Eternal , Devoted Druid and Yawgmoth, Thran Physician are great inclusions.
1 day ago
^I've been debating making a Yawgmoth themed deck for a while now. I'm torn between making an non-Phyrexian aristocrats style deck or a full on Phyrexian flavor/theme deck. The full on Phyrexian theme is obvious (and I already have Phyrexian Obliterator thanks to The List reprints) but the aristocrats theme appeals to me more as Yawgmoth, Thran Physician represents Yawgmoth during The Thran novel (IE pre-Phyrexia), which would pair up against this deck, thematically. Still not too sure which path I'd take...
Sadly, playing over webcam doesn't really appeal to me, so seeing this deck play out live isn't really something that's going to happen. However, if anyone reading this does end up playing deck, I'd love to hear/see the results!
5 days ago
I feel your pain. At least there's Yawgmoth, Thran Physician
1 week ago
I do think that Epicurus makes a very valid point here - a lot of the discussion has been around better draw card effects, especially within cEDH. But in cEDH, the vast majority of desk are 2+ colours (with most of the powerhouse decks being 3-5 colours).
In the context of mono-black and especially in the context of mono-black casual EDH, there is definitely a place for Phyrexian Arena . It's worth noting that with mono-coloured commanders, for the more powerful ones they will typically lean either directly into a win condition or will lean into some osrt of repeatable card advantage.
This is part of the reason that Yawgmoth, Thran Physician is such a good black commander as he provides repeatable draw card effects. But while he can fit within the 99, the deck needs to support him unlike Phyrexian Arena which can just be put into any black deck to provide repeatable card advantage.
Previous posts have already discussed the drawbacks of Arena, especially when cEDH is concerned, however I do think that (as commander is a sliding scale of deck competitive-ness) Phyrexian Arena definitely has a place in more casual mono-black decks.
As discussed however, once more colours become more available then better options also become more avilable.
1 week ago
Some Creatures changes I end up adding: Yawgmoth, Thran Physician , Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit , Elenda, the Dusk Rose and Luminarch Aspirant . Also changed Citadel Siege for Felidar Retreat as it can give me tokens to sac and more counters not just 2
Doubts with: Custodi Soulbinders as it can give me a lot of tokens but I have to be set up already with my tokens or wait for oponents to set up their own table. I think I can swap it for something more usefull. Scheming Symmetry maybe I can get Profane Tutor until I have a more solid tutor.
1 week ago
Hey there! I have a few suggestions that may be useful to you.
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit (puts counters on everything that enters)
- Yawgmoth, Thran Physician (he can allow you to get creature dies triggers, put counters on creatures, and even proliferate the counters)
- Anointed Procession (more tokens)
- Carrion Feeder (a sac outlet to get triggers off of Felisa when you want the tokens, and in response puts counters so you can eventually sac it.)
- Elenda, the Dusk Rose (holy crap the synergy puts counters whenever things die which is often for the Felisa triggers, and eventually can die itself to put out an insane amount of tokens from its ability and Felisa's)
- Ob Nixilis, the Fallen (will generate a ton of tokens for when it dies)
- Ashnod's Altar / Phyrexian Altar : Mana generating sac outlets so you can have Felisa triggers and get mana off of them)
- Cordial Vampire (there are quite a few vampires in the deck and this can allow this creature and other vampires benefit off of when your stuff dies which will be often for Felisa triggers, and by benefit I mean put even more counters to continue the process)
- Dragonscale General (you run a ton of creatures and this can take that and put a ton of counters on everything because of it)
- Gleam of Authority (since you'll be putting a ton of counters on things this can make a huge creature and also give other creatures more counters if necessary). High Sentinels of Arashin is sort of similar.
- Light of the Legion (fun card to use, helps put counters and even puts more when you kill it for tokens)
- Luminarch Aspirant (easy and quick way to get some recurring counters every turn)
There might be some more (I was sifting through the gatherer with a few parameters and found the stuff above, maybe you can find some too! If you want to pick up where I left off, I stopped around halfway through page 2 where Luminarch Aspirant is. Anyway though, hope this helps, be sure to check out some of my decks and drop an upvote if you like them, good luck on your deck, and have a great day! Cheers!
3 weeks ago
Here's another spoiler. This is from Modern Horizons 2. With just Yawgmoth, Thran Physician and him out, you get 5 creatures for 6 mana and more with more devotion.
3 weeks ago
This might be a good card from Modern Horizons 2. With just Yawgmoth, Thran Physician and him out, you get 5 creatures for 6 mana.