: Add to your mana pool.
, , Sacrifice Blighted Woodland: Search your library for up to two basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
|Want (2)||Rabu , Waltbo|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Blighted Woodland occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.09%
GU (Simic): 0.53%
RG (Gruul): 1.92%
BRG (Jund): 1.17%
Blighted Woodland Discussion
1 week ago
I thought it was initially a budget build and you wanted any upgrade. Got you. So with budget ideas in mind....
- Eternal Witness - Recursion
- Reclamation Sage - Removal
- Beast Within - Permanent Removal
- Return of the Wildspeaker - Draw
- Decimate - 4x for 1 Removal, very powerful
- Escape to the Wilds - Can be nice, 5 mana is a lot but it reads until the end of your next turn which is useful. Extra land drop can't hurt.
- Ramunap Excavator - To replay lands from the grave
- Thaumatic Compass Flip/Journey's Kite - Extra land drops
- Blighted Woodland - Ramp
- Reliquary Tower - To hold onto extra cards
- Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar - Allows you to return lands back, I'm sure there are other cards such as Mina and Den who can do the same. This is budget and can be a beater. Reach is nice.
- Realms Uncharted - Basically reads get 2 lands
- Harmonize - Stable draw
It sucks to be budget since you lose out on so many good cards, most importantly crucible and life from the loam.
1 week ago
Thanks for checking out the deck and for giving me some the tips! I gladly answer your questions:
- Tendershoot Dryad has been on the maybeboard for a long time, and I agree it would fit the deck perfectly. I really tried to add it, but I couldn’t find a good spot for it in the end :/. I kind of stopped trying after Field of the Dead satisfied my desire to add another token maker :).
- It is true that the deck wants to keep a low profile. However, that’s only until we are ready for a big explosive play! Omnath and baloth both provide that ability for explosiveness that I want with this deck. On average you should be able to get 2 lands out the turn you bring them out, which is already decent value if someone should indeed take it out. But their ceiling is pretty high combined with something like Scapeshift or Traverse the Outlands. So those 2 landfall creatures are not going anywhere :).
- I wrote about why I did not include Elvish Reclaimer in my M20 update. Short answer: it takes 3 turns before you can use the land you want, and that is too slow for what I want with this deck. I don’t think it compares that well with crop rotation, which gives you any land right now, untapped.
- Nissa's Pilgrimage is a bit too taxing for this deck as I only run 9 basics, and I don’t like that it doesn’t fix. In a similar vein, I valued Blighted Woodland over Myriad Landscape in this build, and there are no lands I want to cut for it atm.
- Castle Garenbrig is useful, but not necessary in this build. And unlike most other decks, every landslot here is super contested, so “useful” isn’t good enough to make the cut unfortunately :). Also, I don’t run that many creatures here.
- I don’t think Living Twister is all that good tbh. I agree that a commander deck should also function well without the commander, but that doesn’t mean it should always be able to do what the commander does. This deck has many paths to victory that do not require Mina and Denn.
- I got asked about Tempt with Discovery before. It is a fun card, but I personally don’t like that it is not reliable. Sometimes you might get lucky and get 4 lands, but most of the time I would get only one, ór my opponents do what they shóuld do and search for a strip mine and destroy the one land I actually wanted to get. The point is that there is no way to tell what you will get and I prefer reliability in my tutors.
- I used to run Kessig Wolf Run for a long time, but I removed it to test other lands. I assure you, the deck has plenty of staying power late game ;), but I agree it is a strong card to have access to. Maybe it will find it’s way back someday.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! I’ve been thinking to add a section to the primer to talk about cards that I did not include. Maybe I will start that soon :). I will also have a look at your modified deck list at a later time.
2 weeks ago
Return of the Wildspeaker , Prime Speaker Zegana , Rishkar's Expertise , Rush of Knowledge , Shamanic Revelation , Finale of Revelation , Praetor's Council, Feed , Soul's Majesty , Colossal Majesty , Elemental Bond , Guardian Project are good at drawing cards in this deck.
Your deck wants to ramp heavily, try adding a balance of early game ramp that costs 2-4 CMC and late game ramp that costs 5+ CMC, some good early ramp options include Farseek , Rampant Growth , Grow from the Ashes , Skyshroud Claim , Circuitous Route , Myriad Landscape , Burgeoning , Blighted Woodland . Good late game ramp options are Traverse the Outlands , Boundless Realms . Since your commander is CMC 4 you want any 1 or 2 CMC ramp to get it out on turn 3 at the latest but after that artifact ramp is much more fragile than land ramp so try to avoid it.
Note that Simic Guildgate is a good addition if you include Circuitous Route.
Fierce Empath can tutor any of your giant creatures.
Lurking Predators can make it really scary for opponents to play any spells.
With enough ramp, X spells can be particularly impactful, Finale of Devastation can search for any creature and it's not hard to get X=10+ to win the game, Genesis Wave is one of the premier green X spells,
Freed from the Real and Pemmin's Aura both create infinite with your commander. It's your choice if you want to include these cards though, they're not for every playgroup and don't fit the theme of your deck.
Here is the gatherer search for sea monsters there are enough of them that you should be able to have all of your sea monsters have some impact on the board, there are also some that might be better than the ones you currently have.
2 weeks ago
Revel in Riches , Pitiless Plunderer and Brass's Bounty are great cards that give you lots of things to sacrifice. So does Pawn of Ulamog . And From Beyond . And Mycoloth . They're all great. If you've got some cash to burn then Dictate of Erebos and Grave Pact will win you games. Butcher of Malakir is a good budget choice that is still great. Springbloom Druid and Harrow are ramp cards that also sacrifice. Terramorphic Expanse , Jund Panorama , and Blighted Woodland are more lands you can sacrifice. I love adding Rogue's Passage to decks where my commander gets really big. If you get that 21 damage in, you can kill someone with commander damage really easily with how big Korvold gets. Smothering Abomination can help you get a lot draw. Font of Fertility is a budget version of Wayfarer's Bauble , but both are still good ramp and sac effects.
2 weeks ago
I think you've got some good ideas in this deck, but I have a few suggestions. And I've also brewed a Korvold deck, you can find that (here)Sac-it-to-me! ~ Korvold EDH if you want some more ideas.
Add more ramp. About 10 ramp spells is a good number to shoot for, but you could make more than 10 work with a commander like Korvold who can draw cards. For this I would suggest Sakura-Tribe Elder and Commander's Sphere and Arcane Signet and Harrow and Curse of Opulence and Dockside Extortionist and Deathsprout and of course there's always Sol Ring .
Add more reusable card draw. You've got a few card draw effects, and Korvold can draw cards on his own, but most of your card draw effects are one-use effects. Again, about 10 is a good number to shot for but you might be able to go lower since your commander will draw you cards. You might want to add Tireless Tracker and Yawgmoth, Thran Physician and Priest of Forgotten Gods and Izoni, Thousand-Eyed and Moldervine Reclamation and Liliana, Dreadhorde General .
Add Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse and Blighted Woodland and if you have them, the expensive fetches. These will fix your mana and draw you a card with Korvold. Really any land with a sacrifice ability is great with Korvold.
Add in more sac boons. Anything that triggers when something is sacrificed or a creature dies, such as Mayhem Devil and Blood Artist and Poison-Tip Archer and Zulaport Cutthroat and Revel in Riches can give you a good way to win the game.
Maybe add in more treasure-generating effects. Treasure is great as ramp and extra great with Korvold because he'll also draw you a card for each treasure you sac. Perhaps Dockside Extortionist and Pitiless Plunderer and again Revel in Riches are some of the best treasure makers.
Hope this helps and good luck against your buddies!
3 weeks ago
Profet93 Lot of interesting suggestions.
I was running Beast Whisperer and Harmonize for a while, but in my experience they seem just a tad low impact for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, Beast Whisperer is an awesome card and I run it in other decks, but in Xenagos I'm typically only casting one or two creatures for a few turns unless I'm about to win the game, and every time I've drawn BW it's basically been something I've not wanted to play since I could just play another big threat or use another, more impactful draw effect like Greater Good
I hadn't actually thought of cards like Dread Statuary and Raging Ravine . It seems like an interesting idea to turn a land into a creature after a board wipe and using it to swing or sacrifice it to draw into another big threat. That's a very interesting idea and I'll definitely be looking into it.
Never seen Bolt Bend before, but it looks really sweet. Definitely going to get around to picking one of those up and playing around with it.
I do like the anti-control cards you mentioned, but I feel like they may be straying just a tad too far from the main game plan. I look at my core strategies which are going tall, giving evasion and enhancing combat, and I end up having to be really picky when it comes to adding too many cards that punish control players rather than synergizing with the core strategies. However, those are some very good cards and I'll definitely keep them in mind if I start having major issues with disruption and counter magic.
Once I have a better feel for what the deck's main struggles are in my meta (Since I made a lot of Christmas upgrades and I'm gonna have to play with the deck some more since like 10+ cards are new) I'll be able to give a better idea. Basically anything that stops my creatures from attacking (One of my friends has a Sram deck that once put "This creature can't attack" auras on all of my creatures, and it was tough to get rid of all of them and lower the shields, and stuff like Maze of Ith will always be annoying) is bad, which is why I put in things like Warstorm Surge for some added reach to at least have an optionn to win outside of combat sometimes.
3 weeks ago
Whats up captain? Happy holidays! I disagree with the user above regarding Carnage Tyrant . If you could describe your meta, it would help us with suggestions. It is an assured beater free from counterspell and removal. Hexproof is crucial in xenagos, especially in a meta like mine literred with spot removal.
- Beast Whisperer - With 1/3rd of your deck as creatures, he provides steady as opposed to burst card draw. Both IMO are crucial in a Xenagos deck.
- Harmonize - Decent card, decent ability, fairly priced. Something to consider
- Lifeblood Hydra - Beater, card draw and lifgain all in 1.
- Momentous Fall - Similar to life's legacy but can be used in response to removal
- Voracious Hydra - Beater and removal in 1
- Rancor - Trample
- Bolt Bend - OMFG THIS CARD IS SO F GOOD!!! --> Counters counterspells, redirects removal, and redirect some extra turn spells. All for . Nothing is worse than getting 2 for 1ed when attempting to use a card draw spell on your beater. This helps provide you with insurance that you get to keep your draw! This is the biggest issue with Xenagos
- Nissa's Pilgrimage - Ramp for T3 commander
- Springbloom Druid - Ramp for T3 commander
- Castle Garenbrig - Ramp
- Dread Statuary - Won me a couple games because I was able to have a creature after a board wipe to use for a draw spell.
- Myriad Landscape - Ramp
- Blighted Woodland - Ramp
- Raging Ravine - Manland
- Temple of Abandon - Not necessary but worth noting
Thanks for bringing Skullclamp to my attention, need to consider it.
3 weeks ago
Mhm....Omnomnomnath. The perfect deck to comment on given how hungry I am today.
Life's Legacy - Very easy to cast, just be wary of the blue player
Momentous Fall - Better version of above, use in response to removal.
Return of the Wildspeaker - Use in response to removal
Garruk, Primal Hunter - His - is a Soul's Majesty (which you can also add if you like). I like to usually make a token, then if I have no other creatures next turn, just draw 3 from the token. Very useful.
Rishkar's Expertise - Very powerful, draw a lot of cards, then cast rude awakening for free.
There can be other suggestions but improving the land base and adding more card draw will make the deck much better without compromise. I have ideas for cuts if you like