: Gain .
, , Sacrifice Blighted Woodland: Search your library for up to two basic land cards, put them onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Blighted Woodland Discussion
1 week ago
Mossfire Valley is a decent budget land and Highland Forest is tutorable. I also like Blighted Woodland , Warped Landscape and Guildless Commons this deck. Don't think you need Reliquary Tower here though.
The proliferate cards like Retreat to Kazandu, Bloom Hulk, Vorinclex, Stumpsquall Hydra, Pridemalkin and Managorger Hydra don't fit so well to Phylath in my opinion. Going wide instead of big will get you better results. All you want in this deck is card draw, interaction, a lot of land ramp and some mass-pump spells. When cutting these cards, I'd also take out Inspiring Call, Soul's Fire, Thud and Fling. Plummet doesn't strike me as good enough. Kazuul's Fury can maybe work because it doubles down as a land. Gruul Locket, Wayfarer's Bauble, Commander's Sphere and maybe even Gruul Signet and Thought Vessel can be cut for more land ramp. I would even disregard single target protection like Swiftfoot Boots. Your commander dying is sometimes even advantageous, because then you can cast it again to get another bunch of tokens, similar to how Prossh, Skyraider of Kher can play.
Here some nonland cards that I'd definitely add either way:
Beanstalk Giant , Predatory Rampage , Nature's Claim , Impact Tremors , Momentous Fall , Overrun , End-Raze Forerunners , Rampaging Baloths , Abrade , Valakut Exploration , Heraldic Banner , Farhaven Elf
I personally like Creeperhulk and Gigantomancer , because they increase creatures' base stats, so Pylath's +1/+1 counters up the target's power even more. Very easy to get a handful of 10/10 plants this way. Vitalizing Wind can also win you the game, but costs a lot of mana upfront. Wort, the Raidmother can come in handy too. If you can afford it, Greater Good does very well in this deck as card advantage engine.
2 months ago
Hey, good start on a budget.
Cards in the maybeboard that are worth adding:
- Whisper, Blood Liturgist
- Altar's Reap
- Costly Plunder
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Fleshbag Marauder
- Apprentice Necromancer
- In Garruk's Wake
- Tainted Wood
- Erebos, Bleak-Hearted
- Smothering Abomination
- Acidic Slime
Some budget cards, $1-$2, most are less than $1, at TCGPlayer to consider adding:
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame : the two Elementals she creates are saced at your end step meaning they will trigger Korvold. Repeatable two Elemental creatures has interaction with Priest of Forgotten Gods and Whisper, Blood Liturgist to activate them on your turn each turn.
- Awakening Zone : Eldrazi Spawn tokens have nice interaction with Korvold since they self-sac to make 1 colorless mana.
- Arasta of the Endless Web : repeatable Spider tokens whenever an opponent casts an instant/sorcery thus can be lots of value in multiplayer Commander. It can even create infinite Spider tokens if an opponent combos by infinite casting.
- Atarka, World Render : creature to reanimate. Korvold is a Dragon and giving him double strike in combination with flying and huge power from counters can outright kill an opponent with Commander damage.
- Sakura-Tribe Elder : can sac itself.
- Caustic Caterpillar : can sac itself.
- Viscera Seer : can sac itself.
- Reassembling Skeleton : can reanimate itself.
- Bloodsoaked Champion : can reanimate itself.
- Village Rites
- Jarad's Orders : tutor for two creatures, one into your hand and the other into your graveyard. Good reanimation enabler or get Reassembling/Champion.
- Poison-Tip Archer : trigger when any other creature dies including opponent's creatures making it good in multiplayer Commander.
More ramp is good with Korvold because it can help to cast him faster and then it can be sac fodder to trigger him.
- Sol Ring : the most expensive price card I will suggest, but it's a staple of Commander.
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Gruul Signet
- Golgari Signet
- Rakdos Signet
- Mind Stone : can sac itself.
- Commander's Sphere : can sac itself.
- Springbloom Druid
Some budget lands to consider adding:
- Exotic Orchard
- Savage Lands
- Path of Ancestry
- Llanowar Wastes
- Cinder Glade
- Smoldering Marsh
- Jund Panorama
- Evolving Wilds
- Terramorphic Expanse
- Myriad Landscape
- Blighted Woodland
- Ghost Quarter
- Ash Barrens
I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
2 months ago
I have not updated my Xenagos since exactly a year ago, so some of these suggestions do not take into account cards that have been released since then such as Jeska(i?)s will and battle mammoth which should find their way into this deck. Now onto my specific suggestions....
Berserk - Yes, block Malignus with your 1/1, let's see how that turns out. Also to be used for politics as you can target an opponent's creature (such as their commander) who is attacking another opponent. This would be to replace Temur Battle rage IMO
Deflecting Swat - I'll say it once, I'll say it again. In Xenagos, your biggest issue is removal. You spend 5+ mana per beater in the hopes that they don't save removal. Most of your draw like hunters insight, return of the wildspeaker, momentous fall (although to a lesser extent) is based on the fact that you need a creature to target and if they remove your creature, you are shit out of luck. By adding swat, you can bluff while tapped out, protecting your creature allowing it to most likely survive to your next turn in order to cast one of the above mentioned draw spells. Moreover, this counters counterspells and redirects targeted removal, targeted draw, targeted extra turns, etc.... so much utility in 1 card. This is perhaps the second/third most powerful card in a Xenagos deck IMO
Heroic Intervention - Protection
Greater Good - THE MOST POWERFUL CARD IN ANY XENAGOS DECK. IF YOU DO NOT ADD THIS, THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO DISCUSS. THE SHEER VALUE OF THIS ALONE IS ASTRONOMICAL. Imagine casting a 6/6 beater, Xenagos doubles it to 12, they attempt to remove it, since it was going to die anyways, you sacrifice it to the "greater good" in order to draw 12 and discard 3. This doesn't include the fact that you can berserk your own creature prior to sacrificing it as well
Rancor - Nice to have, not necessary. Makes your 1/1 dorks 6 power with Xenagos, makes your beaters better. Hell, enchant it on an opponent's creature for politics
Sylvan Library - Nice to have, not necessary, but in Xenagos, it pays to have draw that isn't creature reliant.
Green Sun's Zenith - Tutor to the battlefield, yes please! While limited to green, it still is worth it. Getting what you need, when you need it.
Harmonize - Draw not based on creatures is nice to have
Life's Legacy - Similar to momentous fall, although easier to cast on the same turn as a beater. Do note that it suffers from the same issue as momentous fall, sacrificing as an additional cost to cast means be wary of the blue player. I like it, but some don't
Nissa's Pilgrimage - Ramp, more Turn 3 ramp enables a more consistent Turn 4 Xenagos. While we would love a Turn 3 Xenagos, the choice is between consistency or early on advantage, I choose consistency, but to each their own.
Skyshroud Claim - Gets 2 forests (note some cards are both forests and mountains) and brings them in untapped, so it helps with tempo, something Xenagos decks greatly lack. Would add this over nissa's pilgramage, although I like both if you can fit them
Ancient Tomb - Ramp
Bonders' Enclave - Draw
Turntimber, Serpentine Wood - Land when you need it, a potential creature when you don't. I like the flexibility for 3 life
Yavimaya Hollow - Most useful but most expensive, protecting your creature from removal is what this deck needs.
Elder Gargaroth - Will almost always be draw, but I love the utility
Inferno Titan - Removal
I couldn't suggest more than what's allowed by tappedout, but let me know what you think of each suggestion. If you want ideas for cuts, lmk
2 months ago
Hey, well planned out strategies on a budget. Nice Diabolic Intent :)
Consider Priest of Forgotten Gods and more repeatable token sources? If you can fuel Priest then she's over powered in multiplayer Commander and a great way to grow Korvold and draw. Priest makes insane value with Korvold since for no mana, just sacing two creatures, you make all opponents sac a creature and lose 2 life, you draw three cards, make two black mana and give Korvold two +1/+1 counters. Priest wants a robust package of cards that are repeatable token sources.
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame
- Scute Swarm
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
- Awakening Zone
- From Beyond : can tutor for Betrays.
- Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
- Dreadhorde Invasion
- Arasta of the Endless Web
- Tendershoot Dryad
- Wolverine Riders
Chandra's second 0 loyalty ability + Priest is a combo to be able to activate Priest repeatedly on your turn. The Elementals Chandra creates are saced at your end step meaning they will trigger Korvold and they don't have to attack.
You can speed up game play by adding more one and two drops that have interaction with Korvold or can be reliable ramp to cast him quicker.
- Arcane Signet : staple mana rock.
- Sakura-Tribe Elder : ramp, can sac itself.
- Impulsive Pilferer : creates a treasure when saced or dies. Four sacs and four treasures with encore.
- Caustic Caterpillar : removal, can sac itself.
- Viscera Seer : sac outlet, can sac itself.
- Paradise Druid : ramp.
- Farseek : land ramp that can search for a dual land such as Cinder Glade .
- Village Rites : draw.
- Crop Rotation : land tutor.
Another way to speed up game play is the reduce the number of lands that will always ETB tapped such as Gruul Guildgate .
- Command Tower : staple land for multicolored decks.
- Exotic Orchard
- Savage Lands : Jund Tri land.
- Path of Ancestry
- Llanowar Wastes : Golgari Pain land.
- Cinder Glade : Gruul Battle land.
- Smoldering Marsh : Rakdos Battle land.
- Rootbound Crag
- Dragonskull Summit
- Blighted Woodland
- Tainted Wood
On a budget Savage and Ancestry are exceptions, but they can make one color of the three Jund colors, that's worth it.
I offer more advice, including cuts to consider. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Love your deck idea, but I feel like you could use more ramp in here. The land count isn't bad, but it might be a tad higher, maybe Blighted Woodland and/or Myriad Landscape for some ramp lands? Ramp spells might also be helpful. With your land count, I feel like Cultivate type spells are good here, as would be Circuitous Route type spells that put out 2 lands for 4, as you have a pretty high average CMC it looks like.
How about Fungal Sprouting or Overwhelming Stampede for some synergy with your commander? Stampede with just your commander having been cast could remove a player, and Sprouting can increase your token count a bit, and adds death triggers when they are relevant if you sac a bunch of Kobolds, cast Sprouting, then attack with a big Prosh maybe? You might even play something like Return of the Wildspeaker for draw, that's 9 mana total, which sounds doable with Green maybe.
2 months ago
I think that the landbase could use some upgrades, I'd recommend looking into Command Tower , Path of Ancestry , and maybe some other utility lands. Field of Ruin , Myriad Landscape , Blighted Woodland , Scavenger Grounds , Bojuka Bog , etc. Some cheap sac creatures are always good in these kinds of decks as well, Sakura-Tribe Elder , Viridian Zealot , etc. Lastly, the Seal effects are always good when you can reuse them! Seal of Primordium , Seal of Doom , Seal of Removal . That and they're enchantments, meaning they won't take one of your creature recasts per turn. Hope this helps!
2 months ago
4 mana for even 3 3/3 beast tokens is decent. Your current list already contains Arasta of the Endless Web , and I love that it can help start the loop with Ghost Town if you have the right setup. A couple other token generating spells for surprise factor are Ezuri's Predation , Fresh Meat , and Caller of the Claw .
Dawnglade Regent not necessarily a big finisher, but monarch is another nice way to get card draw and the hexproof for your creatures is nice. Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is also nice, but a bit pricey.
The Tireless Tracker clues stick around so they're just there when you have spare mana that you don't want to go to waste which is again better than the one opportunity per landfall with Seer's Sundial and the tracker can get bigger as you sacrifice the clues. I especially like that the tokens trigger Kodama and if the land you put into play can tap for 2 mana you can sac a clue to draw a card which may draw you more land to put into play from Kodama triggers.
Quirion Ranger can help provide a clutch blocker or that one extra mana you need for some spell. I like that it helps you have more land in hand for landfall triggers off of Kodama. Since Ashaya makes your creatures into forests they can tap for mana so they all become targets for Quirion Ranger to untap.
Kamahl’s Will does seem like a decent fit for this deck as a way to go wide and removal. Territorial Scythecat seems okay similar to the running a Managorger Hydra but takes a bit to build up. Shifting Ceratops it has some versatility, but I'm not sure what you want this for in a landfall deck. Primeval Bounty is currently in your list here on tappedout. Branching Evolution not sure your strategy is putting a lot of counters on stuff, more dropping lots of tokens on the fiel. Fertilid synergizes well with Retreat to Kazandu . Garruk's Uprising again I don't think you're usually putting a lot of big creatures into play to benefit from the trigger. Court of Bounty seems better than Colossal Majesty and has an added benefit. Reclamation Sage is great, and I'm also interested in the new 2-drop Masked Vandal since it exiles stuff, and another budget tutor for these low cost utility creatures is Woodland Bellower .
=== other card options ===
- Shaman of Forgotten Ways can be a nice alternate way to win.
- Ancient Greenwarden it's Crucible of Worlds on a body, doubles landfall triggers, and has reach (I like referring to reach as dunking).
- Bramble Sovereign solid value, decent size body, can be used politically.
- Shared Summons solid budget tutor.
- Scapeshift could be game ending if you're getting the right landfall triggers.
- Regal Behemoth monarch and more mana.
- Mana Reflection MOAR MANA!
- Path of Discovery could help dig more land per Kodama trigger if landfall is generating token creatures.
- Blighted Woodland could be better than or just a nice addition to Myriad Landscape
- Greater Good is usually pretty solid card advantage in green especially if someone is about to deal with your commander or big bad or board wipe.
- Fecundity is great card advantage in go wide strategies if your deck runs a hand-full of sac outlets.
- Eldrazi Monument is fun if you can generate enough tokens or animate enough lands, just imagine a bunch of flying elemental forests that are indestructible beating down your opponents.
- Parallel Lives is much pricier than I remember.
- Evolutionary Leap is always a nice kind of card advantage in token decks, but still nice to sac non-tokens if they're about to die anyways.
- Beastmaster Ascension is a nice buff in wide strategies.
- Apex Altisaur could be a useful thing to get with your Magus to wipe out some creatures.
- Force of Vigor another great option for removal.
- Genesis Wave is always a solid way to spend lots of mana.