(Black), Discard a creature card: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
|Want (2)||xxxxxxxxxZombiexxxxxxxxx , Sifloki7|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tortured Existence occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Tortured Existence Discussion
1 week ago
Mastermind's Acquisition Is a great card to combo with Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed. You can make a 15 card board and put some cards in to help against certain decks that gives chainer some issues (blue white control--Nevi's Disc, Hero's Downfall and the like, Sword of Sinew and Steel, etc.) it allows you to run 15 extra cards without having them eat up space in your deck.
Thought-Knot Seer is great for some recurring hand hate
Flesh-Eater Imp is also a fun sac outlet and an alternative win con.
Volrath's Stronghold is good for saving some of your cards from graveyard removal and I have been debating Phyrexian Reclamation and or Tortured Existence. Fortunately I have not seen too many EDH decks with a lot of dedicated grave hate.
Disciple of Bolas is also an all star card, he keeps chainer going like you wouldn't believe
3 weeks ago
Price of Fame works well with its surveil ability (you can discard creatures in graveyard and use them with your cmd), plus is an excellent removal.
4 weeks ago
Generally speaking, virtually anything that manipulates the Graveyard(s) synergizes with Konrad..
That being said, I second that Tortured Existence should absolutely be here. Two other cards you should consider are Mesmeric Orb and Morality Shift. The latter of course is better with 1 or 2 OG Eldrazi Titans ($$$) in the 99, while the former is simply amazing anytime Konrad is out..
1 month ago
Quickgoldberg - you could use Malakir Rebirth
Flip as a save spell for Syr Konrad or any other important creature; triggering Syr Konrad twice; or extra land if really needed.
Tortured Existence - great for triggering Syr Konrad twice; discard engine for reanimator/madness decks; and synergies great with Desecrated Tomb and goes infinite with Phyrexian Altar in my deck mentioned above (just Altar is a bit more expensive for low budget decks).
Haunted Crossroads - can trigger Syr Konrad aswell, saving your creatures in graveyard from potentional graveyard hate cards (instant speed for only per creature). Mortuary is also an option, but it requires either some good card-draw or part of some combo (like Bolas's Citadel+any free sacrifice outlet+Mortuary+Gray Merchant of Asphodel // Merchant as an example).
1 month ago
This conversation inspired me and I started building a Tormod & DePietro list. My first instinct was to look for other mechanics that feed well into DePietro, so that may be useful to you.
Retrace is definitely a good fit with this commander's ability. You can play Syphon Life every turn and et the land back. Another good synergy is Tortured Existence, get back any creatures from your graveyard for one mana.
If you are curious, here is the card pool I have assembled so far (not a deck yet!). A Night At The Mausoleum - DePietro & Tormod
1 month ago
Lhurgyof - I would personally keep those cards away from Syr Konrad and use them in deck with K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, Vilis, Broker of Blood, etc... also from the new set: Profane Transfusion (I know this is few months old comment, so you probably know about it already).
nieds - I see you already got a lot of really good cards, I'll just type some of them that I cut out since they're kinda meh in this kind of deck below. Anyway, you can check my Syr Konrad's deck here: For the Void. Im still switching few cards, explaining why I chose every card in the deck description, etc. I decided to go with mix of reanimator+aristocrats with several infinite combos. So I would welcome any feedback aswell and you might get some inspiration right there! :)
Some cards I would cut and why:
1) Loxodon Warhammer - is good in voltron / attack based decks, but here it looks like a random card that can gives you some life back (which black/other artifacts can do just better than lifelink artifact), but for 6 mana its meh. You could replace it with Shadowspear, which is three times mana cheaper and provides you with another utility ability. Or simply Bontu's Monument as another pseudo mana rock that also gives you a bit of life.
2) Sensei's Divining Top - I know SDT is amazing on its own, but I wouldnt personally bother with it, unless you would go for the Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top combo. I would switch it for either Viscera Seer (as another free sac outlet), or my choice for my deck was Shadows of the Past (with any infinite creature generator+sac and Bolas's Citadel, you can just "tutor" and cast whatever you want from top of your deck - think I explained it in my deck's description already or I add it sometime later).
3) Painful Quandary - Again, good card, just doesnt fit that well in my opinion. Goes well with Mindcrank and Archfiend of Despair but thats probably about it. I would rather put it in some discard focused deck. Instead of this, card like Morality Shift would be really cool for sure. Or cards like Forever Young / Gravepurge / Death Denied to proc Syr Konrad's ability and recast them with Bolas's Citadel + another card draw sources. Or you could also stick to enchantments liie Mortuary/Haunted Crossroads (parts of my infinite combos).
4) From planeswalkers I would personally keep only Liliana of the Dark Realms (to help with land drops and deck thining) and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools (creates more tokens than Lilianas, decent card-draw and punish opponents for letting you -10 him). Other Lilianas are not bad for sure, just either slow or not that fascinating as they seems to be. Karns are just out of place.
Cards I would put in for sure:
1) Tortured Existence - even on its own, it triggers Syr Konrad's ability twice and only for everytime! As you might already know, I use it with Phyrexian Altar and Desecrated Tomb to make infinite etb/die/sac triggers.
2) Bog Witch - discarding (creature) cards to trigger Syr Konrad's ability; is basically Dark Ritual on a stick which you could use to Reanimate/Animate Dead/Victimize right after. Also is 1/1, so another target for your Skullclamp.
3) Doom Whisperer - big good stuff with ability to filter your deck and put creatures directly from your library into the graveyard.
4) Haunted Crossroads - even on its own, its great way to get your creatures back (on top of library for Bolas's Citadel), next to Phyrexian Reclamation.
5) Emergence Zone - simply to give your spells Flash when you would need them, really nice utility land (similar is Winding Canyons but only for creatures, so eh).
6) Malakir Rebirth Flip - cheap way to "protect" your creature, triggering Syr Konrad's ability or another land if needed.
7) Tainted Strike - absolute game winning beast card with Syr Konrad and either any creature/sac generator, boardwipe with 10+ creatures on board, or discard/mill cards.
8) Diabolic Intent - you got plenty of token generators, so this is just mana-cheap tutor.
9) Feed the Swarm - more ways to deal with enchantments and creatures.
I hope some of this will help and you like some of those cards! :)
1 month ago
Some good stuff! :D
First of all, I would probably just cut Gauntlet of Power/Caged Sun - mana doubling is nice, but for that mana and before it pays for itself, you could already cast some threatining spells/creatures. Black itself has already a lot of cards that can ramp pretty fast (+Gauntlet will double the mana of opponent's swamps aswell) and this doesnt really looks like some big token army deck to benefit from the +1/+1 buffs.
I'm personally not a big fan of Unstable Obelisk. Permanent removal in black is nice for sure, but for 7 (10) mana its kinda expensive I would say. And as a mana rock, its not a good one, since it wont give you . You should have already more than enough mana, especially with Crypt Ghast, Nirkana, other cheap mana rocks and a lot of lands (copyign Cabal Coffers ftw), you could just play Feed the Swarm as another enchantment/creature removal.
1) Tormod, the Desecrator - there is just few cards that trigger Tormod, but I would recommend Tortured Existence with Phyrexian Altar so you can make infinite etb/die/sac triggers. With something like Desecrated Tomb, which is just another option instead of Tormod, you can make infinite tokens aswell. I run that combo in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck and it works great.
2) Bolas's Citadel - Citadel is just sooooo good :D You already have Gray Merchant of Asphodel + few free sac outlets (Ashnod's Altar/Woe Strider). If you add Mortuary, you can make infinite etb of Merchant, sac, life-gain and infinite colorless mana. With Phyrexian Altar instead of Ashnod's Altar, Haunted Crossroads is also an option (sac Merchant with Phyrexian altar to pay for Haunted Crossroads cost). Its kinda junky combo, but hey, as long as it works... :D
3) Twilight Prophet - I really like this card, I'll need to somehow make a space for it in my Syr Konrad deck aswell. In combination of the previous engine - Desecrated Tomb + Phyrexian Altar + Tortured Existence and Shadows of the Past, you can "tutor" for anything in your library to get the best value out of Twilight Prophet. Especially if you run aristocrat cards aswell. Also, Shadows of the Past with the engine is 10/10 for the Bolas's Citadel.
4) Pawn of Ulamog - little innocent dude that can go infinite with Nether Traitor and Phyrexian Altar, which would give you another source of inifnite etb/die/sac/mana of any color.
1 month ago
Tortured Existence can easily turn your less impressive discards into discarding Draco over and over and over again. Card's broken in a deck where you're regularly discarding creatures.