(Black), Discard a creature card: Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tortured Existence occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Tortured Existence Discussion
1 week ago
Binding the Old Gods isn't good removal cause it doesn't have the benefit of being instant speed or being a creature you can reanimate. It also takes a whole turn rotation to ramp you one forest that you can't even use that turn.
Moldervine Reclamation is 5 mana for a draw engine which is kinda expensive. Your decks goal doesn't seem to be aristocrats, rather bringing back a bunch of lower power creatures with good effects or are actually thicc. In this case, you don't have good fodder to make this card work.
- Collective Effort is kinda bad all around. it's removal is conditional and slow and you can only pick the +1/+1 option once so it can't make your men big.
- Beast Whisperer same kinda think with moldervine. You are going to cast creatures on occasion, but what you really want is card draw when creatures etb so you can fill your hand after mutating Nethroi. It's decent in the early game, but etb draw is better for you in both the early and late game.
- Wayfarer's Bauble . You are in green and there's better creature ramp that doesn't cost $4.
- Eternal Witness . good recursion outside of nethroi and allows you to get important non-creatures back when recurring.
- Wood Elves . better than binding of the old gods for ramp in almost every way. It's creature based, non basic forest finding and the land doesn't enter tapped.
- Springbloom Druid . like harrow, but on a creature. keep both if you want though.
- Tortured Existence . Even though it's an enchantment, it's cheap and allows you to surprise your opponents with something from you hand and otherwise you can just trade creatures for whatever you need at the time.
- Grim Haruspex . Decent card draw that give you some benefit if your board gets wiped.
1 month ago
Konrad heads one of my favorite Commander decks.
You have most of the usual suspects, but there's a couple old, janky cards that are absolutely AMAZING with Konrad. First is Tortured Existence . Another is Morality Shift (particularly if you add one, or both, of the old Eldrazi Titans)..
1 month ago
Good call on Tortured Existence . I love that card, and I don't know how I didn't think to put it in my Anje build. Just added it. I like your build here. I'm still tweaking mine. I'm going to throw in Brallin, Skyshark Rider Flip as another wincon.
3 months ago
I've never actually seen a full Golgari deck dedicated to Fogging someone to death. Kudos!
Tortured Existence decks often run the combo of Spore Frog and a dredger (most often Golgari Brownscale for the life gain) in order to loop their frogs forever. This could be an interesting direction to take your deck that would take up way less deck space than all your fogs.
You appear to want to win through combat damage. This will not be an effective strategy when you are also blocking out combat on your turn, which will leave stalled out board states. Try something like Evincar's Justice, which can eventually kill your opponent AND often wipe the board, which is usually better than fogging.
You are missing out on the best Fog effect in Pauper: Moment's Peace. Bonus points for interaction with Grisly Salvage. I would replace Clinging Mists or Darkness with that.
3 months ago
Mastermind's Acquisition Is a great card to combo with Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed. You can make a 15 card board and put some cards in to help against certain decks that gives chainer some issues (blue white control--Nevi's Disc, Hero's Downfall and the like, Sword of Sinew and Steel, etc.) it allows you to run 15 extra cards without having them eat up space in your deck.
Thought-Knot Seer is great for some recurring hand hate
Flesh-Eater Imp is also a fun sac outlet and an alternative win con.
Volrath's Stronghold is good for saving some of your cards from graveyard removal and I have been debating Phyrexian Reclamation and or Tortured Existence. Fortunately I have not seen too many EDH decks with a lot of dedicated grave hate.
Disciple of Bolas is also an all star card, he keeps chainer going like you wouldn't believe
3 months ago
Price of Fame works well with its surveil ability (you can discard creatures in graveyard and use them with your cmd), plus is an excellent removal.
4 months ago
Generally speaking, virtually anything that manipulates the Graveyard(s) synergizes with Konrad..
That being said, I second that Tortured Existence should absolutely be here. Two other cards you should consider are Mesmeric Orb and Morality Shift. The latter of course is better with 1 or 2 OG Eldrazi Titans ($$$) in the 99, while the former is simply amazing anytime Konrad is out..
4 months ago
Quickgoldberg - you could use Malakir Rebirth
Flip as a save spell for Syr Konrad or any other important creature; triggering Syr Konrad twice; or extra land if really needed.
Tortured Existence - great for triggering Syr Konrad twice; discard engine for reanimator/madness decks; and synergies great with Desecrated Tomb and goes infinite with Phyrexian Altar in my deck mentioned above (just Altar is a bit more expensive for low budget decks).
Haunted Crossroads - can trigger Syr Konrad aswell, saving your creatures in graveyard from potentional graveyard hate cards (instant speed for only per creature). Mortuary is also an option, but it requires either some good card-draw or part of some combo (like Bolas's Citadel+any free sacrifice outlet+Mortuary+Gray Merchant of Asphodel // Merchant as an example).