|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Target creature gets +2/+0 and gains vigilance and haste until end of turn.
Slayers' Stronghold Discussion
2 weeks ago
1 month ago
subiskier: Glad you like it! Yeah, getting Kaalia swinging quickly is definitely important, though I'm not really a huge fan of Hanweir Battlements , Slayers' Stronghold , and most other lands that give haste. Effectively paying 2 or 3 mana is a pretty big tax on getting Kaalia out, and I rarely find myself in a situation where I'm really wanting to pay it. I used to run Flamekin Village in the deck, but I swapped it out for Hall of the Bandit Lord which seems to work way better as you're not really paying anything extra other than it entering tapped. As for Fervor , I've actually been looking into slotting in Dragon Tempest (which is almost strictly better in this deck) but I haven't really decided what I'm willing to take out for it yet. Swiftfoot Boots is definitely a good card, and worth running alongside Lightning Greaves , but at a 5 mana investment I'm not too fond of Whispersilk Cloak . Thanks for the comment, and good luck to you too!
loricatuslupus: Thanks! I agree, I love creature decks much more than combos and Kaalia seems like one of the few that is aggressive enough to have a consistent chance at outpacing them. In my personal meta it's rather rare for there to not be any player without a flyer that Kaalia can safe swing at, so I'm not really too concerned about preventing blocking or damage effects with things like Dust Corona and Dolmen Gate . However, I actually have been thinking about adding Reconnaissance to the deck for a while (and probably would've already if I could find a copy locally) due to it's amazing value in both giving Kaalia safe triggers and pseudo-vigilance to all of my creatures. As for Chromatic Lantern , I actually used to run it in the deck (most of the maybe board is cards I ran at one time but later cut) but I just found that it wasn't very helpful. My mana base is stable enough at this point that I very rarely am in need of it's fixing, and at 3 cmc it doesn't really help me ramp Kaalia out. The initial goal of the deck is always have Kaalia swinging on turn 4 at the latest (ideally turn 2 or 3), and 2 cmc rocks like Sphere of the Suns just do a much better job at accomplishing that. Dark Ritual has done pretty well for me, I think. It allows for some pretty explosive early turns in either getting an extra rock out or ramping out Kaalia up to 2 turns earlier. Even late game I can usually find some use for it to stretch out my mana for more valuable turns. While temple lands are arguable some of the better taplands, I personally would not run them if I don't have to as taplands significantly reduce the speed of the deck and are detrimental to my plan of getting Kaalia out as quickly as possible. I used to run Reya Dawnbringer but I found that she was often either stuck without a target, or removed before she could do anything. I cut her in an attempt to shift away from effects like hers where you have to wait a turn to get anything out of them, and towards things that give immediate value upon entering/hitting. Also there's already enough times where I have Animate Dead or Reanimate in my hand with no good targets that I don't really think I'm in need of more recursion right now. Never really been a fan of Adarkar Valkyrie as her ability seems a bit underwhelming to me, especially when you have to wait a turn to use her as well. They're both alright cards, but if I ran them it would be solely for the synergy with a couple of cards like Razaketh, the Foulblooded that you mentioned, and that's not really worth it for me. Thanks for the comment and suggestions, and good luck with your own deck as well!
3 months ago
One thing I really wanted to emphasize was getting Kaalia haste: Fervor , Hanweir Battlements , Slayers' Stronghold etc. I've noticed that she doesn't stay on boards too long so making sure you get in at least one attack to drop a bomb is key. I also run a few protectors like Whispersilk Cloak and Swiftfoot Boots etc to ensure she sticks around but she's a target before the game even starts. Good luck, I know my buddies hate this deck!
5 months ago
If you can find the room, a single Slayers' Stronghold might give you a use for excess mana in the late game.
6 months ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
6 months ago
- I was on the fence about Slayers' Stronghold because I didn't want to run too many colorless utility lands, but I'll throw it in for a few tests to see how it does!
- The thing with sorcery speed board wipes is that with Iroas' ability, I could use spells like Starstorm at instant speed after I declare attackers and all of my creatures would be safe. I threw in Fumigate instead so at least I can gain some life from the destruction at least
- Now this one I really like! I completely forgot Karmic Guide was an angel, and I was thinking I probably need some form of recursion too!
- Thanks for your suggestions! I gotta try it out now and see how it goes with your recommendations :)
6 months ago
Slayers' Stronghold - good boros utility land
Tragic Arrogance - You seem to be lacking a board wipe or two and this one lets you keep your best stuff to keep attacking
Karmic Guide - some recursion and a chump blocker if you don't plan on paying the echo. Also on theme for angels
6 months ago
I see you already include Slayers' Stronghold . However, if you have the budget for it Hall of the Bandit Lord is a great haste enabler. Fervor , Anger , Hammer of Purphoros , and/or Urabrask the Hidden may be useful to include too.
Slayers' Stronghold occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.06%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
RW (Boros): 2.33%