Survival of the Fittest
, Discard a creature card: Search your library for a creature card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Survival of the Fittest occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Survival of the Fittest Discussion
2 months ago
So, some opinions would be nice. I am thinking of dropping the Survival of the Fittest and putting maybe a Worldly Tutor in there instead? Means I am not pitching creatures to the graveyard then. Whilst the SotF looks really nice etc, think the tutor would be better, and another possible turn 1 play to maybe get that all important piece of the puzzle. Opinions?
3 months ago
Thanks! I had considered Survival of the Fittest, but its a bit expensive, my combo cards aren't creatures, I don't play a lot of creatures, and most of my answers are not creatures. I might add it if I ever get my hands on one or need it or it becomes good with the combo. I really like Slice and Dice because a friend plays prosh, so its good there. I'm not sure about Krosan Tusker but I'll drop a land for it and throw the deck in the playtester. Daedalus19876
3 months ago
I love where you're going with this list, the focus on Transmute is really clever. Have you considered running Survival of the Fittest as another repeatable discard-then-recur option? :D You could potentially also make Krosan Tusker very good, as a repeatable cantripping land-tutor, or Slice and Dice to wipe away mana dorks/tokens (depending on your meta).
3 months ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
4 months ago
Lhurgyof - Thank you very much for the upvote! 'Tis always appreciated.
So, I have experimented with Search for Tomorrow, though I have come to prefer the consistency of Rampant Growth. I cannot always use the mana, so coming in untapped does not bump it up in priority for me. If I were playing a more proactive strategy, this would be more appealing.
Second off, I love Shields of Velis Vel. It was in the original build of the deck, but then I did a reforming of most of my lists to make them less reliant on the commander. Peacekeeper is one of my favourite cards in the game, and it can be found by Recruiter. Lastly, Glory is part of my Survival of the Fittest package, merely for defensive utility.
I shall test Search for Tomorrow. It may be better than I think.
4 months ago
l13199l: It's going in and while the prospect of bringing out Yeva early speeds us up a lot, this does so much more for other decks, making it feel kinda meh for us. On the other hand, being able to respond with our creatures at instant speed much earlier could have its implications as well. We can also feel better about using Yeva as a resource to things like Natural Order, Eldritch Evolution, or Wirewood Symbiote (Survival of the Fittest) cast her easily after.
4 months ago
mlequesne, that is a great suggestion. I have indeed tried Vengevine already. In a deck with under 20 creatures, (many with higher than 2cmc) I found that the return from the graveyard was very hit and miss.
Turn 2 I could sometimes get lucky by playing either Wild Mongrel or Noose Constrictor and discarding vengevine and Basking Rootwalla, but overall it felt lackluster. Survival of the Fittest used to enable survivalvine decks back in the day but that card is banned unfortunately.
Thanks for the upvote! Cheers.
4 months ago
I think you are misunderstanding some of the fundamentals of good deck design.
So basically you do not want random hate cards or situational cards main board. You want a strong game plan and every card should contribute to your game plan. Flexibility is good but cards have to serve multiple purposes in a wide range of common situations. For example a card like Abrade is good because it is both removal for creatures and artifacts, where as Sundering Growth is not good as the populate only happens if your opponent plays artifacts or enchantments.
You also want to never be presenting a 2 for 1. So those auras are pretty lackluster. You say they are for a flyers deck but a deck that is purely fliers isnt a realistic thing to be attacking? Generally the decks are doing something else with their flyers and it is better to attack that angle.
This is not a toolbox. A toolbox needs a solid engine card that lets them see the cards they want at little cost and repeatably. Birthing Pod, Fauna Shaman and Survival of the Fittest are example of toolbox enablers because they let you find the cards you need and if you draw a card that doesnt help you such as your artifact hate creature against a deck with no artifacts, you can turn it into a card that does help you.
The creatures you are playing suggest a more aggressive deck, not toolbox. I would advise cutting Crypt, Fissure, Growth and Fountain and reconsidering your ratios. Cut the top end. Cap at 4 mana. 23-24 lands. Maximize the things your cats do well which is be a bit above curve and rewarding you for playing cats.