Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Black Market Connections
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, choose or of more —
- Sell Contraband — Create a Treasure token. You lose 1 life. (It's a colourless artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any colour.")
- Buy Information — Draw a card. You lose 2 life.
- Hire a Mercenary — Create a 3/2 colorless Shapeshifter creature token with changeling. You lose 3 life. (It has every creature type.)
3 days ago
- Sylan Library can be seen as reorder the top 3 cards + optional pay 4 life for card draw
- Phyrexian Arena can be seen as pay 1 life for card draw
- Black Market Connections can be seen as pay 1/2/3 life for ramp, card draw, ramp+card draw
Your phyrexian tribal deck lacks good ramp or colour fixing (thematic?) in addition to consistent card draw.
The situation in which SL is better than BMC is:
a) I am looking to draw 0 extra cards and reorder the top 3 of my library, and I have no need for ramp/colour fixing
- If we look at these two situations reordering the top 3 of the deck overlaps with Sensei's Divining Top, and this effect isn't great without any synergy at all. If this is valuable to the deck it would make sense to pivot to Herald's Horn to get some free draws but the expected value with only 22 creatures is pretty low. In my version of your list I cut both cards due to the fact we really would rather be spending mana/slots to be drawing bangers than scrying and spinning our wheels.
b) I am looking to pay 8 life to draw 2 cards, and I have no need for ramp/colour fixing
- This deck lacks strong lifegain, we could slot in a Serra Ascendant (would be on theme since atraxa is a fallen angel) but as it stands our health is a valuable resource. How many rounds in a game do we draw 2 extra and pay the 8 life, best case scenario 3 rounds for a total of 6 cards and 24 life. On the other hand with BMC I have never turned down paying 3 life for ramp+1 extra draw. The rate is just so much better, even when comparing to Phyrx arena would I pay 1 extra life for the ability to ramp instead of draw? Yes.
I really like your list and primer but there are some adjustments like SL/SDT that I think could make it more consistent and impactful.
3 days ago
4 days ago
I would suggest we slot in Black Market Connections over Sylvan Library
1 week ago
This deck is very fun to play even in my budget adaptation of it. I have yet to acquire Rhystic Study so I am using Kindred Discovery in its place. The same situation goes for Mana Vault which is replaced with Demon's Horn. Part of this is that I still don't understand the utility of Mana Vault and it is a bit out of my price range. I am also running Black Market Connections (from the Party Time (CLB) precon deck that I also have) and Demon's Horn helps keep my life up along with the other obvious cards like Blood Artist. Luckily I was able to score The Meathook Massacre for $16.00 on Ebay. Anyways, I am loving my budget adaptation of this deck, until I can acquire more of the expensive cards, especially as it is my first EDH precon deck I've customized.
2 weeks ago
Panharmonicon may seem amazing here at first glance, but there are a lot of ETBs it doesn't mesh with: Seascape Aerialist, for instance. There are 6 ETB effect allies it has zero synergy with. That said, I may consider a Teleportation Circle or similar instead of it.. although, it certainly makes for more explosive turns if that's your goal. And even if there are 6 ETBs it doesn't mesh with, there are a few more it does combo nicely with, so.
1 month ago
You shouldn't be playing Outpost Siege. You're in black you can play Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence or Black Market Connections instead. They only cost 3 mana and are better. I also would play By Invitation Only. YOu have much better board clears. Maybe check out Cleansing Nova instead. Anguished Unmaking and Vindicate are great removal spells, you could consider them over Chaos Warp and Utter End.
I dont think that Kindred Charge is that great. It's only good when you have a lot of creatures which means that you're already doing very well. You generally want to avoid effects like that. I would recommend Patriarch's Bidding instead. That's just a great card in the late game, great topdeck, fantastic after a board clear. Just less situational than Kindred Charge. It's also one mana cheaper which doesn't hurt.
1 month ago
1 month ago
unwucht - yes, as well as Black Market Connections. Black Market connections along with Deep Gnome Terramancer have just been added to my paper list (my moxfield list is kept most up to date, just cuz its easier - link at the top of the primer)
This list is mostly for posterity / exposure - but my list on Moxfield always matches my current paper list. This list only occasionally gets updated to reflect my paper list.