Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Castle Garenbrig enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Forest.
, : Gain six . Spend that mana only to cast creature spells or activate abilities of creatures.
kamarupa on speedy Ghalta
2 months ago
One thing about having a lot of mana dorks is that you tend to run out of spells pretty quickly. I think it might be worth it to drop 2xCommune with Dinosaurs and add in 2xHarmonize. Or drop Commune with Dinosaurs altogether in favor of 2xHarmonize and 2xForerunner of the Empire. You never need a dinosaur on T1, and barely one T2, so the 1MV cost of Commune isn't really helping, per se. I'll also throw out Time of Need as a possible tutor for a few of your threats at a lower cost, but you might want to reconsider your creatures to add in a 3rd Legendary to make such a spell 'worth it.'
You need some kind of interaction with your opponent, as wallisface already said. In order to make room for non-creature/non-land spells, you have to cut either creatures or lands. Given some of the high MVs of spells here, I think it's safe to say, you can't afford to cut any lands, so you'll need to cut some creatures. I suggest dropping 1x of each of your elves. 6 is still quite a lot and 3 of each makes their removal less effective for opponents. I'd also cut 2x each of Otepec Huntmaster and Raptor Hatchling. I realize you need dinos for Drover of the Mighty to get buff, and obv Ghalta's discount, but I think you'll be just fine with those numbers and it opens up 6 slots for some utility spells. 28 creatures is still quite a lot. Additionally, having non-creature / non-land spells makes it a lot easy to swap spells with your sideboard.
Beast Within is pretty useful as it hits pretty much everything, but of course, comes with a downside. And of course, I'm 100% with wallisface on Lightning Bolt and Primal Might.
Some sideboard spells I really like: Return to Nature - sometimes getting rid of artifacts, enchantments, and graveyards is crucial.
Elixir of Immortality - just say no to mill
Ratchet Bomb - just say no to tokens.
Lands: Scavenger Grounds could be useful in some matchups.
Castle Garenbrig seems relevant
Field of Ruin is nice against tron and more
Boseiju, Who Endures is really nice.
1xYavimaya, Cradle of Growth might allow for one less forest and one more mountain.
Balaam__ on Rocks Mono green stompy
5 months ago
I’d up the land count just a bit to 20-21. 19 is cutting it very close to guarantee those land drops. If it’s within budget, take a look at Castle Garenbrig as well.
Profet93 on Kura Tron Beatdown
5 months ago
Ancient Tomb/Castle Garenbrig/Eldrazi Temple/Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - Ramp
Boseiju, Who Endures - Removal
Cavern of Souls - Anti blue for commander or Eldrazi
Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth - Utility, make eye of ugin + nonbasics tap for green
Yavimaya Hollow - Protection
Fetchlands - For recursion effects
Kozilek, the Great Distortion - Draw, interaction. Overall solid card with built in evasion to boot.
Scapeshift - Land tutor, finds field and make all the zombie tokens simultaneously. Even better with ancient greenwarden to double triggers
Harmonize - Decent draw spell, worth looking into
Finale of Devastation - Tutor, recursion and wincon all in 1
Green Sun's Zenith - Similar to above
multimedia on Elven Kingdom
5 months ago
Hey, well done so far for your first green deck.
Some changes to consider, to further reduce price, up power level and reduce mana curve:
- Sol Ring --> Emerald Medallion
- 1x more Forest --> Castle Garenbrig
- Staff of Domination --> Rishkar's Expertise
- Elvish Guidance --> Growing Rites of Itlimoc
- Regal Force --> Vanquisher's Banner
- Heritage Druid --> Kodama's Reach
- Elvish Mystic --> Cultivate
- Fyndhorn Elves --> Rampant Growth
- Arbor Elf --> Harrow
- Joraga Treespeaker --> Llanowar Loamspeaker
- Eternal Witness --> Bala Ged Recovery
- Pyre of Heroes --> Genesis Wave
- Fauna Shaman --> Overrun
- Summoner's Pact --> Overwhelming Stampede
- Fierce Empath --> Siege Behemoth
- Quirion Ranger --> Llanowar Visionary
Emerald Medallion is the worst expensive price card here. All the Medallions are way overpriced for what they do because they aren't getting reprinted. Castle Garenbrig is not worth $5, you don't need it's small amount of ramp when you can get more ramp from Elves. With Elves, Elvish Guidance is $1 alternative for Cradle, bonus interaction with Arbor Elf.
Staff of Domination can keep power level high without breaking the bank. It's a combo piece with key mana Elves to make infinite green mana to then draw into a wincon. Regal Force and Eternal Witness are creatures who have same effects of noncreature cards, but since they're creatures they can be tutored for.
Triumph of the Hordes, Overrun, Overwhelming Stampede, Ezuri, Siege Behemoth, Forerunners, Thunderfoot, all of these to overrun your Elves is overkill. Consider cutting some of these for more tutors? Pyre of Heroes, Fauna Shaman, Summoner's Pact, Chord, Harbinger can all get Ezuri. Choose one of Forerunners, Thunderfoot or Behemoth? Fierce Empath, Fauna, Pact, Chord can get it.
Good luck with your deck.
Tur on Hidden Power - Crop Rotation
5 months ago
Hello everyone! This will be a trial forum post for a "Commander - Hidden Power" series. My goal is to show relatively inexpensive cards which are often overlooked by commander players in semi-competitive and casual play. (This post is not designed for competitive play.) If you enjoy the topic, please provide positive feedback and I will consider creating similar posts.
The powerful card I plan on discussing here is Crop Rotation.
This card under five dollars and is one of the most powerful mono-green tutors. Period. Yes, I'm counting all mono-green tutors. This includes: Worldly Tutor, Finale of Devastation, Green Sun's Zenith, Survival of the Fittest, Chord of Calling, Natural Order, Tooth and Nail, Sylvan Tutor, Time of Need, Scapeshift, Hour of Promise, Tempt with Discovery, Reshape the Earth, Boundless Realms, Traverse the Outlands, Rampant Growth, Harrow, Cultivate, Harvest Season, Explosive Vegetation, etc.
It's one color, one mana, instant, searches for any land, you can sacrifice a tapped land, and puts the land onto the battlefield untapped (unless otherwise specified).
Although, Crop Rotation is often overlooked by players because of the very expensive cards it can search and not being "flashy" enough. Yes, Crop Rotation is ideal with any of the following cards: Gaea's Cradle, Mishra's Workshop, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Serra's Sanctum, Bazaar of Baghdad, and Diamond Valley. However, suppose we don't have a one thousand dollar mana base and cannot play the land cards above. Is Crop Rotation worthless? No. It is still one of the best mono-green tutors. There are so many utility and theme lands which are excellent targets. Ramp lands and color-fixing are also viable options. Here are a few categorized ideas:
- Command Beacon / Sanctum of Eternity
- Reliquary Tower
- Scavenger Grounds / Bojuka Bog (B)
- Field of the Dead
- Rogue's Passage / Access Tunnel / Shizo, Death's Storehouse (B)
- War Room / Bonders' Enclave / Castle Locthwain (B)
- Emeria, The Sky Ruin (W) / Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (R)
- Mystic Sanctuary (U) / Witch's Cottage (B)
- Hall of the Bandit Lord / Flamekin Village (R) / Hanweir Battlements Meld (R) / Slayers' Stronghold (WR)
- Hall of Heliod's Generosity (W) / Academy Ruins (U) / Volrath's Stronghold (B)
- Strip Mine / Wasteland / Dust Bowl / Ghost Quarter
- Maze of Ith / Mystifying Maze / Labyrinth of Skophos / Kor Haven (W) / Glacial Chasm
- High Market / Miren, the Moaning Well / Phyrexian Tower (B)
- Witch's Clinic / Vault of the Archangel (WB)
- Homeward Path
- Cavern of Souls / Boseiju, Who Shelters All
- Thespian's Stage / Vesuva
- Winding Canyons / Emergence Zone / Alchemist's Refuge (UG)
- Mikokoro, Center of the Sea / Geier Reach Sanitarium
- Castle Ardenvale (W) / Kher Keep (R)
- Castle Vantress (U) / Memorial to Genius (U) / Cephalid Coliseum (U)
- Inventors' Fair
- Karn's Bastion
- Dark Depths
- Urza's Power Plant / Urza's Mine / Urza's Tower
- Sunscorched Desert
- Windbrisk Heights (W)
- Idyllic Grange (W)
- Ghost Town / Oboro, Palace in the Clouds (U)
- Riptide Laboratory (U)
- Minamo, School at Water's Edge (U)
- Tomb Fortress (B)
- Den of the Bugbear (R)
- Goblin Burrows (R)
- Castle Embereth (R)
- Wirewood Lodge (G)
- Castle Garenbrig (G)
- Oran-Rief, the Vastwood (G) / Gavony Township (WG)
- Mosswort Bridge (G)
- Kessig Wolf Run (RG)
- Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion (WR)
- Grim Backwoods (BG)
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Urza's Saga
- Cabal Coffers (B) / Cabal Stronghold (B) / Crypt of Agadeem (B) / Lake of the Dead (B)
- Temple of the False God / Ancient Tomb
- Myriad Landscape
- Blighted Woodland (G) / Krosan Verge (WG)
- Treasure Vault
- Command Tower / Path of Ancestry / Reflecting Pool
- City of Brass / Mana Confluence / Forbidden Orchard
- The World Tree (WUBRG)
- Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
There are many more unlisted cards in each category which could fit your specific deck.
Some of the cards listed above have some pretty cool synergies with Crop Rotation here are a few:Urza's Saga, you can let the saga get to chapter III, then with the ability on the stack sacrifice it to Crop Rotation to get both the artifact and land. Field of the Dead is ideal in every two or three color commander deck with a sufficient mana base (in fact some of my win conditions are given by Field of the Dead). You can also use Field of the Dead as a combat trick. Scavenger Grounds and Bojuka Bog are fantastic for graveyard combo disruption. Maze of Ith and Glacial Chasm will hurt your lands, but sometimes it is needed to stay alive.
Simply having the ability to greatly effect the board state using a one-mana instant speed spell is impressive: life gain, damage prevention, removing steal effects, getting around blockers, denying counterspells, combo stoppers, unlimited hand size, sacrifice engines, haste, recursion, ramp, creating token blockers. The list goes on-and-on-and-on. If fact, if you're playing 3-4 of the lands listed above you should really consider Crop Rotation in the ninety-nine.
All in all, I'm always surprised the number of deck lists which do not play Crop Rotation. This is a fantastic card and one of the best mono-green tutors. It has so much hidden power. Ask yourself if there is a nonbasic land which you are playing (or would play) that would do well with Crop Rotation.
Profet93 on Kura, Secret Tron EDH
5 months ago
IllWarriors +1 A couple of questions/comments....
- I saw your description for the purpose of the colorless mana rocks, both creature and noncreature. Thought vessel is to prevent discard, but given all of your land tutors, isn't it very likely that you can find reliquary tower should you need it? Do you need/want the redundancy? Are you trying not to tutor for reliquary given you want the tron lands? Would you not be better served by adding additional dorks at 1 - 2 CMC? Heart Warden is like a mindstone. If you were to reduce your reliance on artifact ramp given you're playing green, you could add in a Bane of Progress should you wish to mess with all of the opposing artifacts you want inevitably find on the table.
- Regarding tempt with discovery, doesn't your meta just wise up and tutor for LD such as strip mine/wasteland each time you get a tron land, effectively netting you only 1 untapped land and 3 cards in the grave? Or are there other utility lands your opponents can find (Nykthos, coffers, urborg, eye of ugin, etc....) that they find more valuable than destroying your tron lands?
- Burnished Heart - Given you're playing green, why not add in a Skyshroud Claim, Pir's Whim, Harmonize or another ramp/draw spell?
- Skullclamp - Given you will be sacrificing your commander a lot, you have a fair amount of dorks, and the boardwipes that will be seen, I feel skullclamp can be beneficial to you. You can also stack the triggers of your commander and clamp (should you know your topdeck).
- Eternal Witness > Regrowth (can be clamped, blocker, etc...)
- Lurking Predators - How has this played for you? Given your wincon is Eldrazi, are you okay with losing the casting benefit of the Eldrazi in favor for their static + triggered abilities?
- Are you looking for cuts?
- Your land count seems a bit low, especially if you have cards that allow you additional land drops. I understand your commander is a tutor, do you often find yourself missing land drops, particularly in the early game?
- No fetchlands for crucible of worlds?
- Scapeshift - Land tutor! While it may not be needed, it can easily help you assemble tron, find cradle as well as..... Field of the Dead (note it triggers upon ETB for all lands), Castle Garenbrig.
Would love to hear your thoughts on each suggestion, let me know if you are interested in cuts. Solid deck!
Profet93 on Azusa, Just Lost...
5 months ago
Initially you said you want to overwhelm with speed, then you say you want resiliency. One is usually at cost for the other. For me, I've valued resiliency the majority of the time. Given you are playing 3 player (or even 4 for that matter), you should focus on late game rather than trying to be incredibly explosive. Not to say you shouldn't do what green loves to do, ramp, but the way you ramp depends on your goals. I'm going to focus on a resilient deck mindset. That way, you don't get needlessly targeted and are out of the game, it also makes the games as you described.
Good/Bad Fetches - Fabled Passage/Misty Rainforest/Prismatic Vista/Terramorphic Expanse/Verdant Catacombs/Windswept Heath/other fetches that are older and came out more recently that I can't recall. Some are more expensive that others, for you, terramorphic and a few of the cheaper fetches (Listed here and the ones that recently came out, I don't keep up with new sets) should be a great asset to you. Fetches are incredibly important for Azusa. Don't sleep on it
Castle Garenbrig - Ramp
Field of the Dead - RIGHT at the budget mark, VERY powerful. The more nonbasics you get, the more powerful. Think fetchlands triggering this, Acnient Greenwarden doubling the triggers. Azusa + 3 fetches = 6 Zombies! Not needed, but SO powerful, definitely add when you have more nonbasics. This card goes NUTs with effects that brings lots of lands into play like boundless realm/reshape the earth, Scapeshift, etc....
Mirrorpool - Not at all needed, a pet card of mine. Getting another Terrastodon, eteranal witness or just any powerful nonlegendary spell really. I like to copy Greenwarden myself.
Reliquary Tower - When you add much more card draw (which you seriously need), then add this.
Sanctum of Ugin - The way my deck works is that I have various land tutors to search for this or Eye of Ugin. Then I cast a spell like All is dust/akroma's memorial to sac sanctum to find either Kozilek to refill my empty hand. Depends on how many 7+ colorless spells you end up running. I think you should run both Kozilek's for sure. Ulamogs are upgraded removal > Desert Twister. But you don't want too many per your comment, so this land remains to be seen in how effective it is. For your build, I'm inclined to say no, but given it's saved my ass more times than I could count, I wanted to bring it to your attention.
Strip Mine - With crucible of worlds = GG. Although from my understanding, you don't want to do that. Nevertheless, it's still useful for getting rid of opponents Cabal Coffers, Cradle, Nkythos or any other utility land that's giving you an issue. You could also utilize another Land Destruction land which is less oppressive should you wish, I could name a few.
High Market/Miren the Moaning Well - Sac lands prevent theft, exile and trigger death (Greenwarden, Kura, etc...).
Thespian's Stage - Meta dependent, not needed. If they run Urborg + Coffers, you can copy their coffers. I use it to copy my field of the dead (imagine 2x zombies per land + 3 fetches = 12 zombies if I'm doing match correctly, combine that with ancient greenwarden to swarm!). All depends on the lands you end up choosing and your opponents lands. Meta dependent as well. I know some people combine it with Dark Depths for Marit Lage token in more casual playgroups should you be inclined for that synergy. Crucible of worlds makes this repeatable. Just remember that the token itself is legendary.
Garruk, Primal Hunter/Soul's Majesty - Garruk is better for sure as it is a permanent to come into play with Genesis Wave (unsure why you aren't running it, $?) and is more versatile. Not sure of budget at the moment, but he also provides tokens which he can use his 2nd ability to draw from. Ult is largely irrelevant.
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth/Kozilek, the Great Distortion - The primary purpose of these cards is to refill your hand. While there are other cards prior mentioned to refill your hand, card draw is insanely necessary in Azusa. Given distortion is cheaper and better IMO, I would go with distortion. Just ensure you have enough utility lands in the deck (I'd add like 5-15, 10 probably, more depending on your preferences). I understand you want this to be a green deck and don't want to rely on them as a wincon, thats fine. I see you already run Avenger + Craterhoof.
Abundant Harvest, Broken Bond (eh, its okish), Desert Twister, Nature's Lore, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Reshape the Earth, Groundswell , Naturalize (Return to Nature is a strict upgrade, but I would run neither), Primal Bellow, Wrap in Vigor (Heroic Intervention upgrade), Primal Rage, Retreat to Kazandu, Caged Sun (with less basics, its less effective), Opal Palace, Jungle Basin, Darksteel Citadel, Undergrowth Champion , Ulvenwald Oddity , Seedborn Muse (you are not a passive deck), Scythe Leopard Kalonian Twingrove/Dungrove Elder (see caged sun), Brawn , Arboreal Grazer
Obviously it's your deck and depending on your meta, making your deck really good could make it less fun for your opponents. Or they could improve their synergy as well. Azusa is a very powerful commander, Like Tier 3 IMO which is pretty high, especially in a casual meta like yours.
If you have any questions regarding why I recommended a particular cut or suggestion, please let me know. I love to help fellow Azusa players :)
Catpocolypse on Faster Than Tron? Really?
5 months ago
TheOfficialCreator I think that works better, because A. This list doesn't really have a care in the world what its opponent is doing, and B. It works with Castle Garenbrig too
Doesn't hurt that it's one CMC cheaper
|Want (6)||Jhiaxus , Amaterasu312 , cdmarlow11 , AjaxSlumbering , Jerv , Crashington|