: Add to your mana pool.
, Sacrifice Strip Mine: Destroy target land.
|Have (3)||metalmagic , Forkbeard ,|
|Want (5)||nortrophe , AzraelChimera , amitgd , zachi , Virulent11|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Rising: Expeditions (ZNE)||Mythic Rare|
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Mythic Rare|
|From the Vault: Exiled (V09)||Rare|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Uncommon|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Strip Mine Discussion
2 days ago
Awesome stuff here, man. If my Azusa deck was a small child, this would undoubtedly be it's angrier, bigger brother. What I like most is the confidence this build exudes, you're very clearly stating "I am going to ramp, you won't be able to stop me, and then I'm going to cast massive spells." Green is my favorite color in Magic, and this list is Green to a T.
Personally, I'd like to see a little more interaction here, but it's worth noting that I was scarred by Winter Orb and Static Orb early on in my EDH tenure, so I'm usually over-prepared to blow one up. That said, Nature's Claim is (in my humble opinion) one of Green's best spells, and worth consideration here.
- Scute Swarm. We already talked about this little guy, and if you're adamant on the number of lands you run, I'd recommend cutting Seek the Horizon or Thaumatic Compass Flip (otherwise I'd say cut a Forest).
- Allosaurus Shepherd. It makes 90% of your spells uncounterable, and that effect is impactful at nearly any stage of the game. It allows you to play greedily and sink a ton of mana into your spells, which seem important in this build. I'd think about it and consider cutting my above suggestions, or Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip.
- You can't go wrong with Worldly Tutor. Tutors = consistency.
- Scapeshift is a wonderful spell that will make your friends hate you. It's dangerous in my deck, and I think it'd be even more dangerous here given the number of lands you're running. Sacrifice any number of lands, go pull the best lands out of your deck, and make sure one of them is Field of the Dead. Suddenly, you've got an army of zombies, Gaea's Cradle, Strip Mine, Deserted Temple, Eye of Ugin, etc. I think you'd be fine to cut Life from the Loam, as you've already got plenty ability to play lands from the grave.
- Castle Garenbrig is a strictly better Forest in a mono-Green list.
- Dryad Arbor is surprisingly diverse. You can GSZ where X = 0 and go get Dryad Arbor, it taps for mana, it counts towards Gaea's Cradle, and it gets beefed by Finale of Devastation.
- Temple of the False God is actually pretty good in Azusa. I know, I know, it's a grossly overplayed card in our format, but as you already know, Azusa has no problem getting to 5 lands, and from that point on, it's a better Ancient Tomb.
- Petrified Field is neat with Realms Uncharted (if you don't already have the ability to play from the grave) and offers the ability to instant-speed get a land out of your yard. I find it to be pretty versatile.
- Wasteland isn't as good as Strip Mine, but it punishes multi-color decks. If you're like me and play in a tri-color meta, I think you'll find that it treats you well.
Hopefully I provided some decent food for thought. Either way, I think you have a great build here; I'm sure it's a blast to play!
6 days ago
rkjunior, Mox Diamond would be the best choice. Also, I’m actually thinking about adding Strip Mine, finally, since I removed both Armageddon and Ravages of War. I still want some way to remove lands. I personally like Ashaya, Soul of the Wild, but it is a flex card for me and can be replaced with something better down the road. So I feel you’ll be fine without it.
Arzais, I too have a Niv-Mizzet, Parun deck I face regularly. Things I would consider to add to help would be Drannith Magistrate, Shalai, Voice of Plenty, Narset, Parter of Veils, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Teferi, Time Raveler, Teferi, Master of Time, Kenrith's Transformation and Darksteel Mutation. I’ve had huge success in shutting down Niv with such cards in the past. Hopefully you find it helpful.
6 days ago
Starsky2814 - I'd probably go with Mox Diamond if I go that route. I may try to find a spot for Retreat, though. I actually cut Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to put Parcelbeast back in but I still have a flex spot or two. I'm running 1 extra land (really like the Strip Mine and Wasteland synergy)... So many decisions!
6 days ago
Also forgot to mention some utility lands. You're running a on of basics, so you may have some room for lands that feed into korvld's draw ability such as Strip Mine, Wasteland, Ghost Quarter, High Market, and Reliquary Tower. Since you're running three colors you may want to pick your three favorites and add them in.
1 week ago
Command Beacon - For when your commander is too expensive
Ancient Tomb > Temple of False
Arch of Orazca > Darksteel citadel - Darksteel is nice with cleansing fire, but arch provides draw, albeit expensive, is nice when you are inevitably out of gas
Strip Mine - Destroy coffers, cradle, urborg, field, etc...
Valakut Stoneforge - "Utility"
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Not necessary but good to have
Hedron Archive - Ramp when you need it, draw when you don't
Humble Defector - Nice to have but not necessary, politics and card draw. Nice with homeward path should you wish
Ignite the Future - "Draw" and flashback is very powerful
Light Up the Stage - Similar to above, easy to cast with all your burn. Although truth be told, you should really cut down on burn and focus on strengthening your weaknesses rather than incorporating burn with no particular strategy
Mind's Eye - Expensive, not necessary but nice with wheels
Outpost Siege - A little slow similar to above, but often gives you many cards as people don't want to waste removal on it.
Skullclamp - Draw
Solemn Simulacrum - Draw and ramp
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Best chandra - Ramp, draw, removal and wincon all in 1
Sensei's Divining Top - Digging 3 cards deeper is always nice
Wayfarer's Bauble - Ramp
Gauntlet of Power - Helps you achieve kicker
Caged Sun - Read above
Deflecting Swat - Redirect removal, counterspells, targetted draw, etc... way too much utility to ignore
Urza's Incubator - Ramp
Be sure to let me know what you think of each suggestion. There are more tribal cards to consider but since I don't play tribal, they are not on the top of my head. Once we go through these, we can consider other tribal cards as well. Your biggest issues are lack of ramp and card draw. For a dragon deck, it's not bad.
2 weeks ago
Ancient Tomb and Prismatic Vista are great land additions I would consider, and if you need it, possibly Gemstone Caverns or Gemstone Mine. I also personally enjoy Reflecting Pool, which could function better than some tap lands in my opinion. Strip Mine and Wasteland are also quite useful in most situations and can put your opponent a turn behind if necessary. Land Tax is a great ramp card in boros colors and I would certainly consider it, as well as Boros Signet, Talisman of Conviction, and of course Pearl Medallion/Ruby Medallion. In addition to these mana base suggestions, I would consider Teferi's Protection as it is one of the best white cards ever printed. Hope this helps, and enjoy your day! Happy tapping!
3 weeks ago
Sorry for the double comment.