Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Boseiju, Who Shelters All
Boseiju, Who Shelters All enters the battlefield tapped.
, Pay 2 life: Add . If that mana is spent on an instant or sorcery spell, that spell can't be countered by spells or abilities.
5 months ago
8 months ago
You might want Boseiju, Who Shelters All to make sure your big spells go through.
9 months ago
Hello everyone! This will be a trial forum post for a "Commander - Hidden Power" series. My goal is to show relatively inexpensive cards which are often overlooked by commander players in semi-competitive and casual play. (This post is not designed for competitive play.) If you enjoy the topic, please provide positive feedback and I will consider creating similar posts.
The powerful card I plan on discussing here is Crop Rotation.
This card under five dollars and is one of the most powerful mono-green tutors. Period. Yes, I'm counting all mono-green tutors. This includes: Worldly Tutor, Finale of Devastation, Green Sun's Zenith, Survival of the Fittest, Chord of Calling, Natural Order, Tooth and Nail, Sylvan Tutor, Time of Need, Scapeshift, Hour of Promise, Tempt with Discovery, Reshape the Earth, Boundless Realms, Traverse the Outlands, Rampant Growth, Harrow, Cultivate, Harvest Season, Explosive Vegetation, etc.
It's one color, one mana, instant, searches for any land, you can sacrifice a tapped land, and puts the land onto the battlefield untapped (unless otherwise specified).
Although, Crop Rotation is often overlooked by players because of the very expensive cards it can search and not being "flashy" enough. Yes, Crop Rotation is ideal with any of the following cards: Gaea's Cradle, Mishra's Workshop, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Serra's Sanctum, Bazaar of Baghdad, and Diamond Valley. However, suppose we don't have a one thousand dollar mana base and cannot play the land cards above. Is Crop Rotation worthless? No. It is still one of the best mono-green tutors. There are so many utility and theme lands which are excellent targets. Ramp lands and color-fixing are also viable options. Here are a few categorized ideas:
- Command Beacon / Sanctum of Eternity
- Reliquary Tower
- Scavenger Grounds / Bojuka Bog (B)
- Field of the Dead
- Rogue's Passage / Access Tunnel / Shizo, Death's Storehouse (B)
- War Room / Bonders' Enclave / Castle Locthwain (B)
- Emeria, The Sky Ruin (W) / Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (R)
- Mystic Sanctuary (U) / Witch's Cottage (B)
- Hall of the Bandit Lord / Flamekin Village (R) / Hanweir Battlements Meld (R) / Slayers' Stronghold (WR)
- Hall of Heliod's Generosity (W) / Academy Ruins (U) / Volrath's Stronghold (B)
- Strip Mine / Wasteland / Dust Bowl / Ghost Quarter
- Maze of Ith / Mystifying Maze / Labyrinth of Skophos / Kor Haven (W) / Glacial Chasm
- High Market / Miren, the Moaning Well / Phyrexian Tower (B)
- Witch's Clinic / Vault of the Archangel (WB)
- Homeward Path
- Cavern of Souls / Boseiju, Who Shelters All
- Thespian's Stage / Vesuva
- Winding Canyons / Emergence Zone / Alchemist's Refuge (UG)
- Mikokoro, Center of the Sea / Geier Reach Sanitarium
- Castle Ardenvale (W) / Kher Keep (R)
- Castle Vantress (U) / Memorial to Genius (U) / Cephalid Coliseum (U)
- Inventors' Fair
- Karn's Bastion
- Dark Depths
- Urza's Power Plant / Urza's Mine / Urza's Tower
- Sunscorched Desert
- Windbrisk Heights (W)
- Idyllic Grange (W)
- Ghost Town / Oboro, Palace in the Clouds (U)
- Riptide Laboratory (U)
- Minamo, School at Water's Edge (U)
- Tomb Fortress (B)
- Den of the Bugbear (R)
- Goblin Burrows (R)
- Castle Embereth (R)
- Wirewood Lodge (G)
- Castle Garenbrig (G)
- Oran-Rief, the Vastwood (G) / Gavony Township (WG)
- Mosswort Bridge (G)
- Kessig Wolf Run (RG)
- Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion (WR)
- Grim Backwoods (BG)
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Urza's Saga
- Cabal Coffers (B) / Cabal Stronghold (B) / Crypt of Agadeem (B) / Lake of the Dead (B)
- Temple of the False God / Ancient Tomb
- Myriad Landscape
- Blighted Woodland (G) / Krosan Verge (WG)
- Treasure Vault
- Command Tower / Path of Ancestry / Reflecting Pool
- City of Brass / Mana Confluence / Forbidden Orchard
- The World Tree (WUBRG)
- Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
There are many more unlisted cards in each category which could fit your specific deck.
Some of the cards listed above have some pretty cool synergies with Crop Rotation here are a few:Urza's Saga, you can let the saga get to chapter III, then with the ability on the stack sacrifice it to Crop Rotation to get both the artifact and land. Field of the Dead is ideal in every two or three color commander deck with a sufficient mana base (in fact some of my win conditions are given by Field of the Dead). You can also use Field of the Dead as a combat trick. Scavenger Grounds and Bojuka Bog are fantastic for graveyard combo disruption. Maze of Ith and Glacial Chasm will hurt your lands, but sometimes it is needed to stay alive.
Simply having the ability to greatly effect the board state using a one-mana instant speed spell is impressive: life gain, damage prevention, removing steal effects, getting around blockers, denying counterspells, combo stoppers, unlimited hand size, sacrifice engines, haste, recursion, ramp, creating token blockers. The list goes on-and-on-and-on. If fact, if you're playing 3-4 of the lands listed above you should really consider Crop Rotation in the ninety-nine.
All in all, I'm always surprised the number of deck lists which do not play Crop Rotation. This is a fantastic card and one of the best mono-green tutors. It has so much hidden power. Ask yourself if there is a nonbasic land which you are playing (or would play) that would do well with Crop Rotation.
11 months ago
Secret Salvage absolute janky bulk rare zero turns into this decks hero.
Vanishing Verse surprisingly useful.
Starlit Sanctum might be useful.
Tainted Pact is not good in this deck either haha. My suggestion would be Boseiju, Who Shelters All. Urborg "fixes" it while it offers your game winning spells guaranteed delivery.
11 months ago
Ashnod's Altar and Phyrexian Altar would be great for turning your Commander's ability into a mana source. Adding Pitiless Plunderer is great as well especially with the previous two cards mentioned. They actually infinite combo with Bloodsoaked Champion and either Zulaport Cutthroat or Blood Artist. Mikokoro, Center of the Sea is good in mono black decks imo. Also Peat Bog and Gemstone Caverns would be good additions to the land base as well. Boseiju, Who Shelters All it also very good for protecting stuff.
If you like these choices then I can help out with what to take out! Looks fun though!
1 year ago
I usually like to add Boseiju, Who Shelters All in my decks with big game ender/one-shot spells.
1 year ago
Seedtime could be an option, it's an extra turn you can cast in response/on your turn if an opponent counters your spell. Boseiju, Who Shelters All prevents your extra turn spells from being countered.
1 year ago
Inkmoth yeah, I have been thinking about it for awhile. I've been considering Command Beacon, Cavern of Souls and Boseiju, Who Shelters All because they both bring so much utility, and particularly insurance
I'm probably going to take out Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire because I haven't really been able to get much use out of it. I just really liked how hard it is to counter ✌️