: Add to your mana pool.
, : Until end of turn, you may play creature cards as though they had flash.
|Have (2)||, metalmagic|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Winding Canyons occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Winding Canyons Discussion
1 month ago
Lhurgyof - I would personally keep those cards away from Syr Konrad and use them in deck with K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, Vilis, Broker of Blood, etc... also from the new set: Profane Transfusion (I know this is few months old comment, so you probably know about it already).
nieds - I see you already got a lot of really good cards, I'll just type some of them that I cut out since they're kinda meh in this kind of deck below. Anyway, you can check my Syr Konrad's deck here: For the Void. Im still switching few cards, explaining why I chose every card in the deck description, etc. I decided to go with mix of reanimator+aristocrats with several infinite combos. So I would welcome any feedback aswell and you might get some inspiration right there! :)
Some cards I would cut and why:
1) Loxodon Warhammer - is good in voltron / attack based decks, but here it looks like a random card that can gives you some life back (which black/other artifacts can do just better than lifelink artifact), but for 6 mana its meh. You could replace it with Shadowspear, which is three times mana cheaper and provides you with another utility ability. Or simply Bontu's Monument as another pseudo mana rock that also gives you a bit of life.
2) Sensei's Divining Top - I know SDT is amazing on its own, but I wouldnt personally bother with it, unless you would go for the Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top combo. I would switch it for either Viscera Seer (as another free sac outlet), or my choice for my deck was Shadows of the Past (with any infinite creature generator+sac and Bolas's Citadel, you can just "tutor" and cast whatever you want from top of your deck - think I explained it in my deck's description already or I add it sometime later).
3) Painful Quandary - Again, good card, just doesnt fit that well in my opinion. Goes well with Mindcrank and Archfiend of Despair but thats probably about it. I would rather put it in some discard focused deck. Instead of this, card like Morality Shift would be really cool for sure. Or cards like Forever Young / Gravepurge / Death Denied to proc Syr Konrad's ability and recast them with Bolas's Citadel + another card draw sources. Or you could also stick to enchantments liie Mortuary/Haunted Crossroads (parts of my infinite combos).
4) From planeswalkers I would personally keep only Liliana of the Dark Realms (to help with land drops and deck thining) and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools (creates more tokens than Lilianas, decent card-draw and punish opponents for letting you -10 him). Other Lilianas are not bad for sure, just either slow or not that fascinating as they seems to be. Karns are just out of place.
Cards I would put in for sure:
1) Tortured Existence - even on its own, it triggers Syr Konrad's ability twice and only for everytime! As you might already know, I use it with Phyrexian Altar and Desecrated Tomb to make infinite etb/die/sac triggers.
2) Bog Witch - discarding (creature) cards to trigger Syr Konrad's ability; is basically Dark Ritual on a stick which you could use to Reanimate/Animate Dead/Victimize right after. Also is 1/1, so another target for your Skullclamp.
3) Doom Whisperer - big good stuff with ability to filter your deck and put creatures directly from your library into the graveyard.
4) Haunted Crossroads - even on its own, its great way to get your creatures back (on top of library for Bolas's Citadel), next to Phyrexian Reclamation.
5) Emergence Zone - simply to give your spells Flash when you would need them, really nice utility land (similar is Winding Canyons but only for creatures, so eh).
6) Malakir Rebirth Flip - cheap way to "protect" your creature, triggering Syr Konrad's ability or another land if needed.
7) Tainted Strike - absolute game winning beast card with Syr Konrad and either any creature/sac generator, boardwipe with 10+ creatures on board, or discard/mill cards.
8) Diabolic Intent - you got plenty of token generators, so this is just mana-cheap tutor.
9) Feed the Swarm - more ways to deal with enchantments and creatures.
I hope some of this will help and you like some of those cards! :)
2 months ago
2 months ago
Hey I also recently built a Zaxara deck. I'm opting not to run the infinite mana enchantments so my deck differs from yours in power level but I still have a couple suggestions you might like:
Ertai's Meddling not only is it on theme but in a pinch (in a scenario where your opponent could easily pay the mana, or maybe you only have 3 mana leftover after a turn) you can use it as a hard counter even if the suspend counters aren't that high. Any other X spell counter in that scenario would be dead so I think it's a solid include (it's also hilarious to suspend someone's spell for like 10 turns).
On the topic of counterspells, Mana Drain and Plasm Capture are very on theme for gorging a huge amount of mana off someone else to not only offset tempo but also funnel it into an even bigger X-spell/hydra. Drain is pricey for sure so Spell Swindle could be another option as it accomplished the same thing.
Since you're running Protean Hydra I cannot recommend Retribution of the Ancients enough. This card has been an all-star in my deck on its own with by turning all your hydras into removal, but with Protean Hydra specifically it can be used to abuse the second clause of its ability, netting massive amounts of counters alongside the removal. Say for instance you have some leftover mana and an 8/8 Protean Hydra, as long as there is any valid target on the board, right before EoT you can remove all but one counter to hit the creature with -X/-X and then add twice that many back growing the hydra. It's very powerful.
Wilderness Reclamation is a worse Seedborn Muse but does allow you to do one trick that can be pretty powerful. Once the trigger to untap your lands at endstep goes on the stack you can float all your mana, then also use all the mana that just untapped and sink it into a big instant speed X spell which can catch people off-guard. This also works well with flash-enablers like Alchemist's Refuge and/or Winding Canyons which I also recommend.
If you want to check out my list it's here: X Spell Tribal?
Good luck in your games with it!
3 months ago
I’ve had a lot of experience playing Kadena, and I personally think a combo win works better with Kadena’s draw engine and ability to control the board. You can see what I’ve done with my deck here:
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 160 | 23 COMMENTS | 6521 VIEWS | IN 34 FOLDERS
That being said, regardless of the route you take to win, I can’t stress enough how good flash is in this deck. The more consistently we can flash in morphs, the more we’ll be drawing. However you also don’t want too many instances of that effect or one could be a dead draw if you’ve already got the effect in play. This is why I run cards that do slightly different things as well as provide flash.
The ones I run are Leyline of Anticipation and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir as well as flash effects on lands in the form of Alchemist's Refuge and Winding Canyons. Having a repeat effect on lands is fine since you still get mana out of them otherwise. I run Leyline for the possibility of dropping it at the beginning of the game and because it gives everything flash, not just creatures. Teferi only gives creatures flash, but he himself has flash, can be easily tutored for, and stops opponents from playing at instant speed which gives us an edge.
You might also try Vivien, Champion of the Wilds who provides some other utility that might fit well in your combat based build.
4 months ago
Thank you October_The_First! Your username is awesome on it's own and then it being in red font makes me think of the movie Red October which I'll have to watch again now. :)
I hear you on the importance of Flash. I just recently experimented with dropping Savage Summoning, another favorite Flash card, for The Great Aurora. While this deck is light on removal, and The Great Aurora helps there while adding another win condition to combo out on one explosive turn, it may still be a win more card. Let's come back to this voltron vs combo balance.
For me it comes down to the total protection package for Omnath and how often he even sees play on the battlefield. Currently there are 8 protection cards:
- Sword of Feast and Famine
- Heroic Intervention
- Nim Deathmantle
- Soul of New Phyrexia
- Vedalken Orrery
- Yavimaya Hollow
- Winding Canyons
I do consider Flash protection and even ran Yeva for a while because her being an elf also helped Priest of Titania and Allosaurus Shepherd. But sometimes she was a straight dead card because I had better protection online or she didn't help with board wipes. Don't get me wrong. There were times where she was valuable but it felt closer to 1 out of 3 rather than 2 out of 3. I also noticed that I never tutored for her.
Let's go back to the first point. If I'm honest I don't play Omnath with voltron as my primary strategy. I tend to play for combo wins first and let Voltron do incidental damage along the way or rely on it as a backup plan. Some games I find I only play Omnath for draw!
I'm still finding the balance between combo and voltron and will keep Yeva and Vivien in mind and the Maybe board.
Thank you for the input!
4 months ago
Wow what a cool looking Primer. Solid deck, you did an absolutely great job! I'm a big Elf tribal fan, because Elves where my first deck ever.
Cool cards that I personally enjoyed playing:
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate = best green planeswalker atm! Cut Yeva and a Forest for Vivien and one/two of the following lands:
- Emergence Zone / Winding Canyons = instead of some Forests
- Sylvan Messenger / Collected Company / Lead the Stampede = much needed carddraw
- Survival of the Fittest / Birthing Pod / Yisan, the Wanderer Bard = best green Tutor-engines
- Ohran Frostfang / Runic Armasaur = really solid carddraw (/Rishkar's Expertise / Return of the Wildspeaker)
- Bane of Progress / Lignify / Song of the Dryads = very good green removal
- Isolated Watchtower / Terrain Generator / Path of Ancestry = cool lands you should consider instead of forests
- Aether Vial + enough draw can snowball really fast
- Cloudstone Curio = an insane combo piece/enabler, especially with: Aluren or Concordant Crossroads
This deck looks already pretty strong, if you want to play on a cEDH table, you just should do some small adjustments:
- Allosaurus Shepherd / Destiny Spinner = instead of the Herald
- Null Rod + Collector Ouphe!!
- Mana Crypt!!
- Chrome Mox / Mox Diamond
- Gemstone Caverns / Ancient Tomb
- Damping Sphere / Thorn of Amethyst = to stop storm decks and slow down other decks
- Sylvan Scrying = to tutor for Cradle or Cavern
- Carpet of Flowers/Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl
I played elves in almost every format and cool combo from modern was: Cloudstone Curio + Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel = infinite mana or with something like Elvish Visionary or Beast Whisperer you can also draw your entire deck if you want
5 months ago
Hi Azusa lost but Found, I'm Azusa, Lost but woke
Winding Canyons > Emergence zone IMO , plus it's reserved list
Yavimaya Hollow - Protection, plus it's reserved list
Field of the Dead - Add this, now
Sanctum of Ugin - Works nicely to find a big eldrazi without losing tempo. I use it in my build after an All is Dust or Ugin to find my Kozilek for card draw.
Fabled Passage > Evolving wilds
Tireless Tracker - Decent card draw
I notice you run the Slyvan Library/Abundance synergy, how has that been working for you? Same with Thespian Depths synergy.
Elixer of immortality seems weak. If you're using it as Anti-grave hate, why not just add Survival of the Fittest to discard a creature, find Kozilek, discard kozilek, shuffle library and find creature?
Perilous vault is just Eh, Ugin already does the job and All is dust is another good one. I feel a third wipe isn't needed? I know we lack removal in green, but still.
Craterhoof is good in a tokens deck primarily. You say you make tokens, but don't add Avenger of Zendikar or Regal Force? T&N Avenger + Force = Card draw but if you had a haste outlet, then Avenger + Craterhoof = GG. If not the avenger, then the regal force for card draw?
+1 You gave me the idea to possibly run Rishadan Port, I like that
6 months ago
multimedia oh boy I am playing the same deck and I have some suggestions on what to cut and suggestions on what to put in as well
BUT these are just a suggestion