Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under your control, if you control at least five other Mountains, you may have Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
: Add to your mana pool.
|Have (2)||winterwind10 , metalmagic|
|Want (2)||Rocketfuel , Yrexz|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Splendid Reclamation + Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
- Scapeshift + Splendid Reclamation + Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
- Dryad of the Ilysian Grove + Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.09%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
Latest Decks as Commander
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle Discussion
4 days ago
Thank you for for the suggestions, seshiro_of_the_orochi. Actually, the naming was quite accidental. That is a very odd yet perfect coincidence! O_o
I would love to have a Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle for this deck but, unfortunately, it is a little out of my price range right now. You are definitely right though, it would be a great addition since the deck is already set up to abuse triggers like it.
I thought about Torbran, Thane of Red Fell but since the mountains are colorless, I didn't think it would work. I suppose it would still boost other red damage sources though so it could help in some ways.
4 days ago
I like the concept a lot. I guess your commanders name was composed like this on purpose? (If not: "Brand" is german for a fire that is burning something down, and "Dorf" is a village. This being accidentally seems highly unlikely, that's why I'm asking.).
1 week ago
Great questions! It took me quite some time to understand all the nuances of it as well. Let's answer your questions:
1. Does it work like that? You are almost correct :). To make it work, you would need to be at 7 lands actually. Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle reads "if you control at least 5 other mountains", so you need 5 mountains for it to work on the sixth mountain you play. If you have multiple mountains enter the battlefield with Scapeshift (and with them counted you have 6 or more) then it works as you describe: they all enter at the same time, so they all see each other as they enter and they all trigger. So in combination with Scapeshift, you need to have at least 7 lands. You can sac all 7, get Valakut and 6 lands with the mountain type, and boom: you deal 6x3=18 damage. If you already had Valakut in play you will now want to be at 8 lands: sac all but Valakut, get Vesuva + six mountains. Now you deal 12x3=36 damage as Vesuva will enter as a copy of Valakut. That copy ability happens without the stack, before the valakut triggers are put on the stack (unfortunately Vesuva cannot come into play as a copy of another land you got with Scapeshift).
2. What would I cut? I think Mina and Denn is not required for your build. I run Mina and Denn myself as the commander and I love the card, but I suspect you will not be returning lands to your hand that often in this list (you are not running the broken ones that combo with M&D, which are Gaea's Cradle, Glacial Chasm and Mosswort Bridge). That could be a way to make room for Dryad. For lands I would surely cut Reliquary Tower as it is a nice-to-have card, not a necessary one (I think I only run it in Multani, Maro-Sorcerer where it actually helps me win. For most other decks I think it is overrated. Discarding back to 7 doesn't feel nice, but it will probably never make you lose). You can also experiment with cutting a few basics, but I'm not familiar with the desired basic lands statistics in Omnath builds.
Hope this answers your questions :).
1 week ago
However, I do have some follow-up questions!
Let's say I have at least 6 lands, then play Scapeshift and decide to sac all of my lands and search for Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and 5 mountains. They would all enter simultaneously, correct? That is why the Valakut triggers for all?
I'm pretty much at my budget limit at the moment (my playgroup goes by MTGGoldfish deck value), what would you swap out for Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and Dryad of the Ilysian Grove? If I do these swaps, it would make sense to other the suggested lands as well.. I may have to take something else out in order to make this work.. The question now is.. how janky do I really want to make this? :)
1 week ago
- Valakut alone with your ramp is already a potent board control piece in a landslot. It should not be hard to get to 5 mountains reliably when you have valakut out. Adding Cinder Glade, Sheltered Thicket and Stomping Ground will help to fix your mana and still have a lot of mountains.
- Witch Scapeshift, you can search for Valakut and a bunch of mountains and get triggers for all mountains entering. That interaction alone would justify an include of valakut imo, as it turns scapeshift into a one-sided board wipe when required. But there is way more fun stuff to cover ;).
- You can copy Valakut with Vesuva or Thespian's Stage to enhance the damage (valakut is not legendary).
- If you already had Valakut in play when casting Scapeshift, there is a cool rules interaction with Vesuva. Searching Vesuva + a bunch of mountains with scapeshift means Vesuva enters as a copy of Valakut before the triggers of both valakuts go to the stack, doubling the damage of your scapeshift-board-wipe. Now we are getting into player-KO-territory
- You are already running Fiery Emancipation, which obviously works wonders with valakut.
- You can also consider Dryad of the Ilysian Grove so all your lands trigger your valakuts.
I think this set of cards matches your deck title quite well :). Hope it fits your vision for the deck!
1 week ago
Cloudstone Curio is another way of gaining control of Survivors but it's kind of awkward and only has a handful of other more or less helpful interactions (Dockside Extortionist, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, Ugin, the Ineffable tokens, Outpost Siege I guess)
1 week ago
Mana Geyser can go infinite with reiterate: If you can cast Reiterate with buyback in response to a Mana Geyser that will produce 7 or more mana, you can cast infinite Reiterates to get infinite storm and infinite mana.
Where is your card draw? All I see are 3 wheels and outpost siege. Anvil, burning inquiry don't count IMO because they don't net you cards. I really like this chaos build. I had something similar (although not as compact/good) about a year or so back, but my playgroup hates chaos so they targeted me. So I made mine a semi-competitive build. If you added more card draw in the form of....(there are other ideas, just lmk if ur interested in them)
Endless Atlas - Card draw
Tome of Legends - I have a "good" feeling about this ;)
Ignite the Future - Better in more serious builds, but is still nice
Light Up the Stage - Similar to above, this card is probably better suited to your deck, although I run both since I'm card draw hungry in mono red
Would love to hear your thoughts on my semi-competitive build
3 weeks ago
Hey cool deck! +1
Wasteland is also very good allowing you to continually destroy your opponent's land.