Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever a Mountain enters the battlefield under your control, if you control at least five other Mountains, you may have Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
: Add to your mana pool.
|Want (8)||carthadys , Villain85 , Trollzarro , lonestar1 , ChairmanMeows , Memoryk , marflepop , QuantumKami|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Rising: Expeditions (ZNE)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Splendid Reclamation + Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
- Scapeshift + Splendid Reclamation + Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
- Dryad of the Ilysian Grove + Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle Discussion
1 week ago
Command Beacon - For when your commander is too expensive
Ancient Tomb > Temple of False
Arch of Orazca > Darksteel citadel - Darksteel is nice with cleansing fire, but arch provides draw, albeit expensive, is nice when you are inevitably out of gas
Strip Mine - Destroy coffers, cradle, urborg, field, etc...
Valakut Stoneforge - "Utility"
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Not necessary but good to have
Hedron Archive - Ramp when you need it, draw when you don't
Humble Defector - Nice to have but not necessary, politics and card draw. Nice with homeward path should you wish
Ignite the Future - "Draw" and flashback is very powerful
Light Up the Stage - Similar to above, easy to cast with all your burn. Although truth be told, you should really cut down on burn and focus on strengthening your weaknesses rather than incorporating burn with no particular strategy
Mind's Eye - Expensive, not necessary but nice with wheels
Outpost Siege - A little slow similar to above, but often gives you many cards as people don't want to waste removal on it.
Skullclamp - Draw
Solemn Simulacrum - Draw and ramp
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Best chandra - Ramp, draw, removal and wincon all in 1
Sensei's Divining Top - Digging 3 cards deeper is always nice
Wayfarer's Bauble - Ramp
Gauntlet of Power - Helps you achieve kicker
Caged Sun - Read above
Deflecting Swat - Redirect removal, counterspells, targetted draw, etc... way too much utility to ignore
Urza's Incubator - Ramp
Be sure to let me know what you think of each suggestion. There are more tribal cards to consider but since I don't play tribal, they are not on the top of my head. Once we go through these, we can consider other tribal cards as well. Your biggest issues are lack of ramp and card draw. For a dragon deck, it's not bad.
1 week ago
Yours' is a great decklist that I always come back to when looking for guidance in improving my own Windgrace deck. +1 from me.
I have a few questions on some card choices within your list, and I'd like to hear your input on them. In your experience, how consistent has Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle been with Scapeshift, considering the fact that Prismatic Omen isn't in the deck? Has Dryad of the Ilysian Grove on its own been enough to enable Valakut sufficiently?
Also, the new Valakut Exploration has not been adopted in Windgrace lists as widely as I initially expected, at least on this site. What are some of the reasons why you decided against including it, and is it a card that you feel doesn't make the cut for Windgrace lists in general?
2 weeks ago
- Sylvan Library: after reading and rereading Valakut Exploration again and again I am just solidly convinced that in this deck that Valakut Exploration is just better in every way except cost and fixing for mana to play it in early game.
- Avenger of Zendikar: After much thought I just think Scute Swarm just plays a lot better due to it's lower CMC and greater value over time.
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: As a value engine it's underwhelming. It plays to the theme but you're only really upticking Nissa for the +1 on a vulnerable body (planeswalkers usually don't last very long in any multiplayer game).
- Valakut Exploration: Just a better Sylvan Library in this deck, I completely misread this at first thinking that the ability to play was tied to the enchantment being on the battlefield but even if this gets removed you can still play things exiled with it. All around a good card (also sweet art).
- Scute Swarm: The ability to effectively double its number with every landfall is a very enticing prospect. Less explosive than Avenger of Zendikar and you will have to time landfalls to get around summoning sickness (also sweet art).
- Bala Ged Recovery Flip: Graveyard recursion/land, I really want to give this a try as second Eternal Witness that also doubles as a land, not fetchable and can't be tutored with Traverse the Ulvenwald so I don't expect a massive performance bump, but redundancy of such a key effect is always welcome.
- Ancient Tomb: Early game mana, you don't take damage while a Glacial Chasm is out, all in all just a way to get going.
Umming and Erring
- Valakut Awakening Flip: Instant speed hand refresh. Would be much better as a discard effect. Not sure if this is worth it or what it would replace.
- Cragcrown Pathway Flip: When I looked over the land base I just think that since these cards don't have a basic land type, that they're not that good. They're not fetchable and don't add anything new to the deck.
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle: I've wanted to add this back into the deck since Dryad of the Ilysian Grove was printed. It adds the ability to bolt and could be an effective utility land, however there's the issue of figuring out which utility land would be cut to fit it in.
1 month ago
Endless Atlas - Almost as good as tome of legends
Hedron Archive - Ramp when you need it, card draw when you dont
Humble Defector - Politics, not needed but nice to have, especially in more casual builds
Ignite the Future - Works until next turn and flashback makes it even better
Mind's Eye - Repeatable card draw
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Best chandra IMO. Ramp, removal, draw and wincon all in 1
Myriad Landscape - Ramp
Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass - Utility
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Damage
I got a lot of ideas for cuts, lmk if you're interested
1 month ago
ghostfire86 if you are trying to utilize Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle as a win con you may want to shift it over to Omnath, Locus of Rage. You'll need more mountains to consistently activate the burn effect won't you?
1 month ago
I’m actually at a lose atm. I tend to build each deck with a different strategy and try really hard not to reuse ideas....except for Bolas's Citadel synergy and combo...I’ll admit I have that in three decks atm. I love it to much as it works to well for those decks.
With this deck I want the option of a commander damage kill, but I also want to feed into going wide with animated lands and/or tokens. A sub theme I want is a lands finishing kill using Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle. This build list will likely change a lot before I am happy. I’m also considering Omnath, Locus of Rage or Lord Windgrace as my official lands matter commander
1 month ago
Oh I'm overjoyed about some of these new cards. I want to see what Ashaya can do. But Sucte swarm, moraug, ANCIENT GREENWARDEN??? There are some amazing new cards. My Omnath of the Roil deck is very focused on Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle so the new valakut expedition giving card advantage and damage is sweet. I absolutely cant wait for this set and to start testing out how some of these will perform.
1 month ago
I think you'd want the creatures game 1 though. No one wants to waste a spell on a 1cc unless it's all you have. But if you come over the top with some big nasty fliers, they'll sit on those crabs while you sneak that win.
Game 2 I think I'd play a more controlling element and let all those kill spells go to waste in their hand.