As an additional cost to cast Harrow, sacrifice a land.
Search your library for up to two basic land cards, put them onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||gildan_bladeborn , PapaSquatch41|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Harrow occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
multimedia on Aesi
1 week ago
Hey, well done on a budget upgrading a precon for a first Commander deck.
There's some cards in the precon to consider adding:
Meloku the Clouded Mirror : one of the better budget cards with Aesi because it can bounce lands you control. It can be a repeatable source of flying tokens, landfall triggers or best of all draw with Aesi.
Spitting Image : can copy any creature on the battlefield including an opponents creature. Retrace is the reason to include this because by discarding a land you can cast it again from your graveyard and keep doing this as long as you have a land in your hand to discard.
With Murkfiend Liege and Retreat to Coralhelm you can take advantage of Llanowar Scout and Zimone, Quandrix Prodigy who can tap to put a land onto the battlefield. This interaction if you have lands in your hand lets you trigger Aesi on your opponents turns. Can also abuse this interaction with Simic Growth Chamber or Guildless Commons because these lands can bounce themselves back to your hand. Either one lets you trigger Aesi and draw a card on each opponents turn.
Some other cards $1 or less each to consider adding:
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Talisman of Curiosity : another two drop Simic mana rock.
- Harrow : gets two basic lands at instant speed and they ETB untapped.
- Roiling Regrowth
- Brainstorm : staple blue card, draw three for one mana.
- Zephyr Boots : flying evasion for Aesi and repeatable draw.
- Decisive Denial
Some other budget lands $1 or less each to consider:
If interested I offer more advice including cuts to consider. Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
Thermopod might be a decent consideration to go with the sacrifice theme. Yawgmoth, Thran Physician is also a good option though a bit more tough on the budget. You could also add in Animate Dead and Dance of the Dead to add to your reanimator value stuff (if you lean more into that angle then Skirge Familiar becomes a pretty good option as well). You also probably know about these cards but Ashnod's Altar and Phyrexian Altar are always awesome in a sac deck. Additionally, to go with your lands sacrifice theme Harrow is a great option for ramp. Lastly as a little throw in a bit of a pet card for me that goes great in a sacrifice deck is Rankle, Master of Pranks .
I hope my suggestions are helpful! I like where you're going with this list, +1 upvote from me.
3 weeks ago
- sorry wrong link... Evolving Wilds . Also, since your commander scales with lands on the field AND in the graveyard, it opens a lot of different options. Cycle lands like Ash Barrens Tranquil Thicket Slippery Karst and Desert of the Indomitable are all cards that can either be mana or a source of card draw later on. Terramorphic Expanse Prismatic Vista and Fabled Passage are all good ways to further the land in grave count AND synergize really well with your play from the graveyard effects like Ramunap Excavator , letting you get a land from your deck every turn.
And again, since your commander cares about lands in graveyards, Crop Rotation can fetch any needed utility lands/fetching lands. And Springbloom Druid is a Harrow with legs! Roiling Regrowth is a newer card that fetches you lands. And Nissa's Pilgrimage is an all star with the potential to give you 3 lands for 3 mana!
Hope that gives you some ideas!
4 weeks ago
Your topdecking/self-mill(ish) strategy is probably the right move, but just from an outside perspective it seems like Elvish Reclaimer would be useful here.
Other possibilities as I see it:
And then some cycling lands.
Sorry, don't know if any of this is at all helpful. Just liked the idea a lot and my mind went into build mode.
1 month ago
I'm going to go ahead and start on ramp here, you have only a couple pieces of pretty bad ramp.
So I really recommend picking up Llanowar Elves , Elvish Mystic , Elves of Deep Shadow , Fyndhorn Elves , Wild Growth , Rakdos Signet , Golgari Signet and Gruul Signet . Those are all really good because they can come down early, they get you more mana to play Mario and Luigi earlier, they can help you play your bigger cards earlier, and they can be sacrificed to the brothers.
If you want to find room, Cultivate , Harrow , Kodama's Reach , Rampant Growth , and Boundless Realms are all really really good, but not quite as necessary here as they can't be sacrificed to the brothers.
The player with the most mana is often the player in the best position in EDH, so mana ramp is important.
You also want some good interaction, which isn't quite as relevant with the brothers but it's still very important. Rakdos Charm , Terminate , Abrade , Abrupt Decay and Assassin's Trophy (which are a bit pricier), Doom Blade effects such as Cast Down , Ultimate Price , Go for the Throat and Heartless Act , Lightning Bolt , Nature's Claim are all pretty solid ones. The purpose is just to be able to stop someone from killing you, remember not to be aggressive and kill things without reason.
Casualties of War is pretty cool too, I just like the card.
1 month ago
No problem. I enjoy going through the first cycle tab to offer input where I can. I'm used to playing on lower budgets and power levels so I don't usually have much to offer when it comes to long established decks.
Also, on the subject of mana curve, it's worth remembering that the purpose of ramp is to drag the top end back to the left. A bomb most other decks would have to play on turn 6, you plan to play on 5, 4, or even 3 instead. Obviously the more big cards you run, the more ramp will be needed to support them. That's why Gruul dragons also tends to run anywhere from 10 to 20 cards dedicated to acceleration. You have a solid starting package with the set of Servants and the Birds (and Sarkhan actually), but adding a couple more ramp pieces could make it easier to run the critical mass of dragons that Atarka and friends need to shine. It could be untap synergy with Utopia Sprawl and Arbor Elf , landfall with Oracle of Mul Daya (budget: Courser of Kruphix ) and Lotus Cobra , or just more generically good dorks and tutors like Somberwald Sage and Harrow . A turn 1 Bird into Somberwald on 2 potentially lets you cast any creature in the deck as soon as turn 3. If you do want smaller dragons instead, Dragonkin Berserker and Dragon Whisperer can get bodies on the board early and hopefully pay out later. The actual dragon options of Slumbering Dragon and Dragon Hatchling are pretty poor inclusions unless you're trying to go hard with Dragon Tempest .
Here's an article from Wizards' own Gavin Verhey with some tips on dragon ramp strategy. Note that the build in question was made for an old standard meta, so there will be some obvious differences to a modern gameplan.
1 month ago
Hey, good start on a budget.
Cards in the maybeboard that are worth adding:
- Whisper, Blood Liturgist
- Altar's Reap
- Costly Plunder
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Fleshbag Marauder
- Apprentice Necromancer
- In Garruk's Wake
- Tainted Wood
- Erebos, Bleak-Hearted
- Smothering Abomination
- Acidic Slime
Some budget cards, $1-$2, most are less than $1, at TCGPlayer to consider adding:
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame : the two Elementals she creates are saced at your end step meaning they will trigger Korvold. Repeatable two Elemental creatures has interaction with Priest of Forgotten Gods and Whisper, Blood Liturgist to activate them on your turn each turn.
- Awakening Zone : Eldrazi Spawn tokens have nice interaction with Korvold since they self-sac to make 1 colorless mana.
- Arasta of the Endless Web : repeatable Spider tokens whenever an opponent casts an instant/sorcery thus can be lots of value in multiplayer Commander. It can even create infinite Spider tokens if an opponent combos by infinite casting.
- Atarka, World Render : creature to reanimate. Korvold is a Dragon and giving him double strike in combination with flying and huge power from counters can outright kill an opponent with Commander damage.
- Sakura-Tribe Elder : can sac itself.
- Caustic Caterpillar : can sac itself.
- Viscera Seer : can sac itself.
- Reassembling Skeleton : can reanimate itself.
- Bloodsoaked Champion : can reanimate itself.
- Village Rites
- Jarad's Orders : tutor for two creatures, one into your hand and the other into your graveyard. Good reanimation enabler or get Reassembling/Champion.
- Poison-Tip Archer : trigger when any other creature dies including opponent's creatures making it good in multiplayer Commander.
More ramp is good with Korvold because it can help to cast him faster and then it can be sac fodder to trigger him.
- Sol Ring : the most expensive price card I will suggest, but it's a staple of Commander.
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Gruul Signet
- Golgari Signet
- Rakdos Signet
- Mind Stone : can sac itself.
- Commander's Sphere : can sac itself.
- Springbloom Druid
Some budget lands to consider adding:
- Exotic Orchard
- Savage Lands
- Path of Ancestry
- Llanowar Wastes
- Cinder Glade
- Smoldering Marsh
- Jund Panorama
- Evolving Wilds
- Terramorphic Expanse
- Myriad Landscape
- Blighted Woodland
- Ghost Quarter
- Ash Barrens
I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Ah and i forgot Migration Path is an straight upgrade for Explosive Vegetation . Also, Nature's Lore is way faster than Rampant Growth ; if it's not in Budget, what about using Harrow or Explore ? The latter even grants you a card replacement