|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2019 (C19)||Rare|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Tempt with Discovery
Tempting offer — Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. Each opponent may search his or her library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. For each opponent who searches a library this way, search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then each player who searched a library this way shuffles it.
|Have (3)||Mortiferus_Rosa , pskinn01 , metalmagic|
|Want (4)||therez0 , GengarGeirson , Scrambles69 , SticeM|
Tempt with Discovery Discussion
6 days ago
Thanks for the input Bighimmy!
So I've gone through the list and my understanding is that you mean proactive interaction/removal. So from the deck list thus far there is:
- Assassin's Trophy
- Beast Within
- Windgrace's Judgement
- Pernicious Deed
- World Shaper
- Acidic Slime
For boardwipes there are:
Now for some of the other options I've gone through in the past I personally don't feel like a few of them are really worth it, and feel free to discuss these since there's always going to be something that I'm missing or haven't really thought about. My thoughts on:
- Chaos Warp : This is an attractive option, it deals with anything and you can even use it on your own permanents to try and spin into something more useful. It means that certain threats don't go to the graveyard (for reanimation or death triggers) and can get lost in the deck. However, from past experience I'm much more a fan of Assassin's Trophy as you can then Bojuka Bog to exile the threat along with the rest of the graveyard. This is a less risky option, and I completely understand why people go to it but I know I'll be kicking myself once a Chaos Warp turns a threat into a bigger threat.
- Gaze of Granite : Pernicious Deed just does everything that Gaze of Granite does that much better with the only exception being planeswalkers. You don't have to sink all your mana into the casting (so if it gets countered it's not a complete loss) and furthermore you can use Pernicious Deed at instant speed, which is a massive way to interact with non-creature permanent-based strategies (such as enchantments and artifacts).
- Go for the Throat / Doom Blade / Dismember / Abrupt Decay : I'm not a massive fan of conditional removal in commander because my rule of thumb is that the broadest answer is the best answer the vast majority of cases.
- Putrefy : for the longest time I played this in the deck before Ravnica Allegiances rolled around and Bedevil took its place. The ability to interact with planeswalkers is fantastic, but the key thing I think is that the inability to regenerate clause from Putrefy isn't of massive concern for this deck for a couple of reasons. Firstly regeneration isn't particularly common, and when it is you're dealing with Asceticism in which case you're not Putrefying anything. Otherwise you have access to Damnation which doesn't allow regeneration and Toxic Deluge which also doesn't allow regeneration.
- Force of Vigor : I started playing this in my Ayula, Queen Among Bears commander deck and in mono green it is the best answer to a lot of early game and late game threats. Current this deck has 42 green cards so there's no shortage of fodder to play this for free on your opponent's turn, but I'm unsure as to what this supercedes in the deck currently.
- Casualties of War : as a budget option this is fine but the sorcery speed makes this lacklustre.
- Noxious Revival : This was on the radar for a while when I was concerned about getting Glacial Chasm destroyed and then getting exiled, however there is not really a reliable way to recur this effect, and it is not particularly powerful (though has some utility due to being able to play it at instant speed for nothing). My other concern was that it requires an additional step to get it into hand, so if you draw it for turn, you would need a way to draw an additional card to then get whatever you need from the graveyard to your hand. As a redundant effect for Eternal Witness I understand, however I think it is too much of a corner case and I would be more of a fan of Regrowth -like as you will have access massive amounts of excess mana from Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers . I imagine something like this will come along some time in the near future, it's only a matter of time.
- Red Elemental Blast / Pyroblast / Guttural Response : I find that this angle of interaction is far too narrow to really be applicable unless you know there is a very high chance of versing counterspells in your local meta. This is why I find that Boseiju, Who Shelters All is a better solution to this problem, primarily because it can be searched off abilities and deals with the majority of effects while being difficult to interact with itself. Now the way your opponents can get around this is effects like Venser, Shaper Savant , Narset's Reversal or any other Unsubstantiate -type abilities. I learned to simply accept this as a weakness of the deck given the colours. The archetype is rather weak to its inability to interact with the stack, but I think there are more unconventional ways around this, such as Contamination to punish their mana base or by waiting until your counter-laden opponents are tapped out from trying to deal with each other. I think that this is a fair trade off for this deck being difficult to interact with.
The main weakness of this deck I believe is its inability to deal with mill and combo effectively, vulnerability to bounce effects on the stack like Venser, Shaper Savant and counterspells. I've found that these weaknesses can be reduced with a couple of strategies:
- Playing some political cards Pir's Whim + Tempt with Discovery + Rites of Flourishing to try and ameliorate the board (and not draw the ire of anyone who might have a counter available),
- Building up a solid land base from both a deckbuilding and play perspective to support a late-game comeback due to the lack of cards that effectively interact with land-base strategies, and
- The ability to play around counterspells and interaction, such as Boseiju, Who Shelters All and reliance on using abilities rather than just spells.
So after a little more testing, Elvish Reclaimer is an absolute house in being able to effectively Crop Rotation each turn to more reliable tutor out either ramping or utility land. The summoning sickness issue means that again this does not pull this deck back from the brink in the late game, but as an early game drop it provides access to both stocking the graveyard for Lord Windgrace and fixing mana for the later game. I regret my initial skepticism on this addition and think it is a great upgrade for the deck.
I am planning on adding in Korvold, Fae-Cursed King shortly because I think another Gitrog Monster will be welcome here. I think I'll finally have to pull the trigger on cutting Zuran Orb , it's been there since the start...
1 week ago
Easy switch outs to me:
Acidic Slime - you have plenty of destroy enchantment or artifact things.
Verdant Force - meh with what you're doing
Turntimber Sower - also kinda meh
Baloth Woodcrasher - no trample, would be chumped all day long
Seer's Sundial - you should be ramping enough that this is irrelevant to you - green and black are excellent ramping colors save this for the red or colorless deck you're going to build in commander.
Second Harvest - too situational
Deathreap Ritual - seems very situational
Zendikar Incarnate - can grow fast, no trample or other evasion
Scute Mob - dangerously fast growing - no trample or other evasion
Crop Rotation - search for a land card, put on battlefield
Sylvan Scrying - search for a land card, put in hand
Reap and Sow - destroy target land and or search for a land
Tempt with Discovery - search for a land and for as many lands as opponents search for
4 weeks ago
Alright, the jig is up on Tempt with Discovery . People are getting wise to the shenanigans. Since it has just become a 4 CMC Sylvan Scrying in my recent games, I decided to bite the bullet and replace it with Sylvan Scrying and save the mana.
1 month ago
Further suggestions, on the backs of the two creatures I suggested to you I would cut Garruk's Horde and Ruric Thar, the Unbowed both are high CMC and I think you have other creatures you would rather play for those costs and get more bang for your buck.
On the side of Ramping out, let's talk a couple of options. Grand Warlord Radha could serve you well as you're going to want to be swinging a lot with several creatures. Radha would allow you to generate more mana for doing so and allow you to summon in back up during Main Phase 2 to shore up your defenses.
A Chromatic Lantern might seem decadent or too much for a dual colored deck but let's think of it this way, it's a three cmc mana rock that taps for any color AND color fixes all of your lands the moment it hits the field, that's almost always a good deal.
Talisman of Impulse and Farseek are both great options at only 2 CMC a piece which means we are potentially ramping on Turn 1 AND 2 which is huge. On a related note I would cut Tempt with Discovery as not only is it 4 CMC but in my experience, good players will always choose to let it whiff. OR even worse they will go fetch Ghost Quarter or Strip Mine and blow up anything cool you happen to go get for yourself.
Finally on the high CMC side for Ramp there is Caged Sun and Zendikar Resurgent The Sun is normally limited to mono colored decks but you are currently leaning so heavily into green I don't think you'd ever mind extra green mana at your disposal. Resurgent nets you all important card draw as Gruul has a bad habit of going Hellbent in a hurry.
1 month ago
Any of the enchantments that give haste might help. Then Collective Voyage and New Frontiers instead of Tempt with Discovery (do people really add mana to this when they see your deck?) and another single land sorcery.
1 month ago
Astral cornucopia. You have to put a lot of mana in to it and it only gives one colour of mana in a 4 colour deck.
Everflowing Chalice. You won't need all that colourless mana and again requires a lot of mana dumped in to it for value.
The best ramp and colour fixing in my opion are Birds of Paradise , Bloom Tender , Noble Hierarch , Nature's Lore , Skyshroud Claim , Crop Rotation , Tempt with Discovery , Farseek , Smothering Tithe , Fellwar Stone , Mox Amber , Sakura-Tribe Elder , Expedition Map and Arcane Signet once it's released.
1 month ago
I'd like to suggest switching to Reyhan, Last of the Abzan and Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker as your commanders. Those two work more efficiently with +1/+1 counters than Atraxa. You can also abuse Reyhan's ability to move counters with Blade of Selves , Rite of Replication and Doubling Season .
I would also look to add Crop Rotation .
1 month ago
If you're building a eck based around non-basic lands, I hope you're using Golos, Tireless Pilgrim as your commander. As for fetch options, you have:
to name a few. I'm sure there are a few others (as well as all of hte non-specific tutors - i.e. Demonic Tutor ) however this should be the lion's share of them.
Tempt with Discovery occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%