Combos Browse all Suggest
- Archangel of Thune + Horizon Chimera + Sphinx's Revelation
- Archangel of Thune + Sphinx's Revelation
- Horizon Chimera + Sphinx's Revelation
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
You gain X life and draw X cards.
2 weeks ago
Okay. So, I think you should really lean into the control/combo shell. This deck could use combos like Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood, with some added redundancy in the forms of Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose and Marauding Blight-Priest, or Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Triskelion to close out the game. In order to accomplish this, I think you should cut a ton of the creatures and really lean into board wipes, control spells, and resource denial.
You could also do cute stuff like Phyrexian Unlife + Solemnity, giving yourself time to wipe the board again or go for the win with Peer into the Abyss. You should also consider taking a look at your mana base.
I'd suggest going for some fetches, checks, and shocks like:
I know I've given you a lot of suggestions. I think if you tried putting a list together with all the cards I named, plus some of the bangers from your current list and you'd have a badass deck! Don't worry about trying to do all that right now, though. See which look most appealing/are in your price range and add those first. A lot of these should be long term goals!
Don't tell Rett I gave you so many suggestions XD
2 months ago
I know that no one has yet responded, but I think that I shall keep Sphinx's Revelation in my decks, mainly because Azor simply requires too much investment to produce any significant benefits.
3 months ago
I have Sphinx's Revelation in several of my EDH decks, because I believe that it is an awesome card that can greatly improve a player's situation in the game, but I am wondering if I should replace it with Azor, the Lawbringer in my decks.
Azor has as triggered ability that is the same as Sphinx's Revelation, and, while the ability can be used only under certain circumstances, it is repeatable, which is very nice, and Azor also has a control ability, in addition to being able to attack and block. My only concern is that Azor is much more expensive and requires a far greater investment of mana to fully gain his benefits, which is certainly something worth considering.
3 months ago
This is coming a couple hours later after thinking a bit more; on the notion of swapping Commander's Sphere for Smothering Tithe - it is no secret I'm not a fan of Smothering Tithe, but with as little mana acceleration as your deck currently runs, I disagree with what the others have posted above. Not only are you getting rid of a mana source, but you are also getting rid of a source of card advantage.
On the topic of card advantage, I'll finally get to what I wanted to discuss earlier. Right now, you only run seven cards that let you draw a card on them. Below are the cards in question and my general opinion on them.
- Kwain, Itinerant Meddler - I don't like this card simply because it gives your opponents card advantage. Okay if you're running a group hug deck, and you appear not to be. Replace with something like Brainstorm.
- Rhystic Study - Excellent card. I advocated for this card in your last thread, and I'm glad to see you add it. The main problem with this card is it's up there on the "kill on sight" cards I spoke about in my first post. You can help protect it with cards like Heroic Intervention.
- Cryptic Command - I am mid on this card. It was great in other formats, but I don't think it translates well to Commander. I'd also advocate for getting rid of it due to it's CMC; you're a three color deck and this has three blue pips. I.e; it's not that easy to cast. Replace it with something like Ponder.
- Sphinx's Revelation - Again, I'm mid on this card. I don't like lifegain strategies in EDH for a myriad of reasons, but you need to pay at least four mana to draw one card. You could go for something like Harmonize, which is also four mana but lets you draw three cards instead.
- Treva's Charm - You don't even really get card advantage from this card as you're essentially paying two cards to draw one card; a net loss of one. I would actually go with something like Eladamri's Call or Growth Spiral. Growth Spiral replaces itself by drawing you a card, while Eladamri's Call allows you to tutor for any creature in your deck, effectively replacing itself.
- Commander's Sphere - I've heard a lot of people not like this card, but I have a soft spot for it. I like it because it can act as mana advantage in the earlier turns, and once you no longer need it you can use it to draw a card. Keep it.
- The Immortal Sun - Six mana to draw a card every turn. Again, this is one of those "kill on sight" cards, and I especially don't like it because of it's CMC. It does do other things, such as acting as an anthem in regards to reducing your spell's CMC and giving your creatures +1/+1. It's alright. If you wanted to, you could go for something like Mind's Eye which does require more investment in the long run, but it can draw you at minimum three cards every turn cycle if you want to go that way. If not, just go for something like Sensei's Divining Top. It's one of the best artifacts ever printed.
Now that I've spoken about your current cards, I'd also try to include more tutors. These range from a wide variety, such as Enlightened Tutor, Worldly Tutor, Traverse the Ulvenwald, Mystical Tutor, Sterling Grove or even something like Land Tax. Any of these will help you speed up your game and lower your CMC. Also, while on the topic of Sterling Grove, I see you run Privileged Position. If you get both out together, no one can target any of your permanents.
3 months ago
Hello Deathkiller374, I love esper and I really love Queza. If you love drawing consider some of these cards:
So many good options esper colors. But these are good budget options. Good luck out there. Feel free to critique my esper decks for more inspiration. :)
7 months ago
alexjustdoit , Arachnogenesis is a cool card, but Settle the Wreckage and Comeuppance serve similar roles and can be tutored from Sunforger. Also I have no way to utilize the spider tokens (such as Craterhoof Behemoth) in the deck. I see in your list you run Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse, so that is a good way to pump the tokens.
Looking at your list a few things come to mind:
It looks like you can win using the combos I have listed or through combat using Insurrection or Arachnogenesis + Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse, but I think you could use another. With enough card draw Laboratory Maniac works well, but Approach of the Second Sun is another good win con.
2) Card Draw
I suggest running more card draw, I noticed you have no group hug style card draw effects besides Selvala, Explorer Returned, and you have no sorcery card draw (such as Sphinx's Revelation). I would suggest adding more card draw, either through enchantments like Sylvan Library or cards like Sphinx's Revelation.
3) Board Wipes
I get wanting your opponents to build up creatures so you can use them with Disrupt Decorum or Insurrection, but I think it is worth including spells like Austere Command, Farewell, Vandalblast, Cyclonic Rift, etc to control the board when you need to.
4) Flash Enablers
I have found that this style of control deck really wants to be able to play on other peoples turns, where you can hold up mana for either removal or countermagic, but play ramp or card draw if your opponents do nothing. Cards to support this include Vedalken Orrery and Leyline of Anticipation. There is also great synergy with the Seedborn Muse you run when using these cards.
Some missing cards that are generically powerful that you could add are:
8 months ago
Chandra Ablaze does not seem very good in this deck, I can't see a time you really want to use her +1 and her -2 is pretty situational for control. Neither is really worth the cost either. Chandra, the Firebrand is alright, but I think that there are better planeswalker options. Chandra, Torch of Defiance is probably the best Chandra, although she's a bit more expensive. Ajani Vengeant is another pretty solid option.
Fire / Ice can replace Lightning Bolt if you find yourself light on card draw. You'll want to replace Drawn from Dreams with instant draw. A couple options are Precognitive Perception, Sphinx's Revelation, Chemister's Insight, or Thassa's Intervention.
Going over the land base, you may be able to go down 1-2 and replace them with draw, your high end is only 4-5 mana. Take out basics for 4 Mystic Monastery, 3 Battlefield Forge, and 2 either Celestial Colonnade or Wandering Fumarole. I'm not completely sure what your colored distribution is, so those numbers may not be optimal.
8 months ago
Very neat concept! I like it; you’re on the right track.
If I were making this deck, I’d probably cut red. It’s nice, but doesn’t do what you want as well as your other colours do.
Really nice deck, hope it goes well! Not sure cutting red’s ideal but it’s the way I’d go I think.