|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Shapeshifter
( can be paid with either or 2 life)
You may have Phyrexian Metamorph enter the battlefield as a copy of any artifact or creature on the battlefield, except it's an artifact in addition to its other types.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Phyrexian Metamorph Discussion
14 hours ago
I've used my own Gilded Drake to steal back Animar on more than a few occasions. I've also used Phantasmal Image and Phyrexian Metamorph to clone the Drake (or Animar itself if the Drake is no longer around). I don't think I've had to resort to using Man-o'-War to bounce it back to my hand yet, although I've always kept it in mind as an option.
2 days ago
Jhoira's Familiar seems fitting as another version of Foundry Inspector. Also, how about Words of War? You could also try Myr Galvanizer and some clone spells like Phyrexian Metamorph or Phantasmal Image to go infinite with Palladium Myr.
3 days ago
If you are looking for a winning condittion, Torment of Hailfire is also a good alternative, I have a very similar deck "The Scarab and the Forty Thieves" that you can get good ideas. The difference is that I have nothing to feed zombies because I have more control cards and cards that steal from opponents. Praetor's Grasp and Memory Plunder are excellent cards to have alternatives where the dimmer decks are weak like destroying enchantments or artifacts ... (against me they play very enchantments and artifacts of exiling cemeteries) I also really enjoyed your Meteor Golem ... About counters when you play Draining Whelk you will not want anything else ... And you even need a Phyrexian Metamorph or better, Clever Impersonator ... They make a difference ...
Hope to help you how you have helped me!
4 days ago
Also consider some of the better clones like Phantasmal Image, Phyrexian Metamorph, Clever Impersonator, Stunt Double, and Dack's Duplicate. The clones will be good now but great once you also get Great Whale/Palinchron in the deck.
I'd drop some of your less impactful/used morph creatures and colorless Eldrazi like endless one and conduit of ruin to make room and consider replacing Prime Speaker Zegana with Tishana.
5 days ago
I was very close to picking another Mulldrifter, but there are a number of things that would make me possibly not choose it. Mulldrifter's biggest draw is its Evoke cost that turns it into a Divination that Animar can make even cheaper. If we are just talking about a 5 CMC creature that draws two cards like Cloudblazer then I may hesitate, particularly if it requires two colored mana like Cloudblazer does. At 4 CMC I would be more inclined to included it, but once again I would cringe a little if it required two colored mana (which it probably would at that cost). The double colored mana can be a pain to juggle if you are trying to combo out early. However, if the card said something like "When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return another creature you control to its owner's hand. If you do, draw two cards." I would definitely be looking at putting it in the deck, even if it did have a 5 CMC and required two colored mana.
I ended up choosing the Bond Beetle for a couple of reasons. Bond Beetle is extremely economical for Animar, basically counting as two creatures for 1 mana in just one card. While the Beetle is lacking in terms of utility, having it in your opening hand is like starting with an extra card as far as Animar is concerned. The ability to go from 0 counters to 2 counters for just 1 mana is fantastic, because that lets you go straight to only having to pay 1 mana for one of your tutor creatures and leaves you with mana left for whatever you tutor for. Cast Spellshaper and you'll still have a mana for Worldly Tutor. Cast Imperial Recruiter and that one mana you have left is enough to let you go off with the Recruiter + Phyrexian Metamorph + Shrieking Drake combo. Cast Trinket Mage and you will be able to fetch and cast Skullclamp. And all of that is assuming that you missed your land drop for the turn. If you didn't miss a land drop you would also be able to attach the clamp to the Beetle to draw two cards right away.
Bond Beetle can also set Animar up to be able to win on turn 3, which I think is a really important benchmark for Animar given how fast other decks in the format are. Turn 2 Animar + a Mox/Lotus Petal into Bond Beetle will set you up with all the mana and counters you should need to potentially go off the following turn.
So yeah, Bond Beetle is lacking in overall utility and Animar is always hungry for new cantrip creatures, but I would really like at least one more functional reprint of Bond Beetle for the deck to up its chances of faster combo kills.
6 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
1 week ago
You need to update this deck. Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain and Vedalken Archmage give staggering card advantage when you have Paradox Engine. The amount of card draw is even more ridiculous with the Sensei's Divining Top. The Engine also gives you infinite draw with the Top if you throw in one of these cards or combos: -Clock of Omens (Tap the Top multiple times) -Voltaic Key (Tap the Top twice) -Strionic Resonator (cast spell, tap Top, copy Engine's trigger, repeat steps 2 and 3) -Rings of Brighthearth (You know how this will work since you already have Rings) -Vedalken Orrery + Phyrexian Metamorph/Sculpting Steel (As long as you have two Divining Tops, you'll actually be able to get through mana floods no problem.) -Vedalken Orrery + Vedalken Archmage/Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain (put multiple draw effects on the stack by casting spells and tapping the top in response to one another.) The only other thing to mention here is that Crucible of Worlds is completely unfair with the artifact lands + Krark-Clan Ironworks, or ANY land if you have the lattice out. It also lets you abuse that Inventors' Fair you've got, as well as your fetch lands.
2 weeks ago
Bloodchief Ascension Cao Cao, Lord of Wei Greel, Mind Raker Sadistic Hypnotist Syphon Mind Delirium Skeins Dark Deal Hymn to Tourach Liliana Vess Smallpox Unnerve Bottomless Pit Words of Waste Tasigur's Cruelty Conjurer's Closet Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur Nephalia Smuggler Ghostly Flicker Essence Flux Phyrexian Metamorph Sakashima the Impostor Dimir Doppelganger Followed Footsteps Mindslaver In Bolas's Clutches