|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
High Priest of Penance
Creature — Human Cleric
Whenever High Priest of Penance is dealt damage, you may destroy target nonland permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||Mousemke , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , bakeraj4 , redlegs_17 , pskinn01 , ChrisH , Nemesis , mziter501 , philktoken8998 , The_Munchkin , Va1mar , golgarigirl , rakdos24|
High Priest of Penance Discussion
4 weeks ago
Hey TheSpiritombEnthusiast, I really appreciate your input. I've never heard of a lot of those cards! My thoughts:
- Winter Orb - I'd like to run this, but I only have a couple of things in the deck that can tap it. (I do love the fact that the text has been updated to maintain the "tap to turn off" rule that used to apply to all "continuous" artifacts.)
- Torpor Orb - Hooboy, I can see this forcing some decks into "creative" play and causing some frustration. And a two drop! I like...
- Trinisphere - Nice, but same comment as I had for Winter Orb. If I can figure out a reliable way to control it, I could see it fitting nicely.
- Defense Grid - Wow. I guess this probably slows things down a lot but fills the board with permanents over a few turns? Seems powerful for sure.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Now that is a ridiculous card. Must have.
- Karlov of the Ghost Council - I was looking for something to replace High Priest of Penance, and this is absolutely perfect!
- Sphere of Safety - Nice! Not sure if my enchantment subtheme is quite strong enough to run this right now, but I will definitely keep it in mind.
- Test of Endurance - This seems almost too powerful in EDH. But it does provide a reliable win condition, something I think this deck is lacking.
- Celestial Convergence - This one I'm a bit less excited about, but I guess if I learn to work the life gain properly it should work well for me.
- Dream Tides - If I ever get around to putting a side board together, this will be in it.
- Crawlspace - Back in the day I wouldn't have thought much of this card, but that was before you could generate an army of token critters. Nice one.
Again, thanks a lot for your feedback. Do you have any suggestions for cuts? I've monkeyed around with this deck to the point that I'm starting to feel unreasonably attached to everything in it.
1 month ago
As for what to take out, I would start with High Priest of Penance. If there's nothing to make him indestructible, he's just a one-shot, spot removal. That being said, your two clerics that act as Journey to Nowheres should also come out. Once you (or any other player) casts a wrath, your opponent gets back that threat you tried to remove. I would stick with Crib Swap, Forsake the Worldly, and Path to Exile.
1 month ago
Olivia Voldaren could be a good inclusion here. She draws hate away from your commander, she's a threat but not an active threat unless you want her to be, and she can steal creatures.
couple her with a Basilisk Collar and hot diggity. You have some other synergies that could help that too... they get a little comboey but the collar and Darksteel Plate could go on a few of your creatures. An indestructible High Priest of Penance pinged by lady voldaren...?
Then again that may be too aggressive for what this deck is trying to do.
2 months ago
Heymaxon, I like it! First I would be sure to include 4 Orzhov Charm - the card is just too good to not use a play set. You've added some cool additional combos, but at the risk of making yourself extra vulnerable early. I'd take out 1 Elixir of Immortality, 2 Bubbling Cauldron, (you only need two cauldrons if you're using the elixir) and add either High Priest of Penance or Path to Exile. Great Brewing! I like the life drain effects outside of just the newt, and you have a strong finisher with Angelic Accord
2 months ago
Also I see you're running High Priest of Penance, let me tell you that card is bonkers in this deck if you're reanimating and pinging him with a Desert. Destroying permanents every turn is fun especially when its cheap.
Also, I recently came across an infinite combo I don't think any other deck is using. I could see the combo: Goblin Trenches + Mana Echoes + Drownyard Temple doing really well in this deck since most EDH decks can have troubles removing enchantments and the fact you can generate the Goblins at instant speed means you can do so on an opponent's end step right before your turn by-passing the threat of boardwipes.
I hope my suggestions are of some use to you.
3 months ago
Thought of a couple more bears:
Kataki, War's Wage: maybe not the greatest if you're running lots of equipment
4 months ago
My little playgroup used quite a bit of Bestow back in the day. Granted, we were defaulting to casting Boon Satyr and Herald of Torment as creatures, but my friend usually bestowed Nighthowler, often onto a Herald or something like High Priest of Penance. On the other hand that does leave a lot of Bestow creatures... pretty sad still.
4 months ago
In: Dusk / Dawn, Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip, Anointed Procession, High Priest of Penance, Angelic Accord, Luminarch Ascension, Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, Arashin Cleric and Temple Acolyte
Got rid of Test of Endurance and Beacon of Immortality since my current combo tends to make it redundant. Ancestor's Prophet always seemed to disappoint since by the time I could activate him I had either won or lost.Alhammarret's Archive seemed like a win more kind of card in the deck and I was unable to always get value out of it. Devout Chaplain and Reliquary Monk got seldom if any use. Gift of immortality tended to be difficult to set up quickly enough to matter. I am not sure about Austere Command but wanted to test Dawn/Dusk.
I have attempted to increase the decks token generating theme and increase gain life ETB's to hopefully improve pre combo game play. I have also added more spot removal as I face Kalia often.