Artifact Creature — Sphinx
When Sphinx Summoner enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact creature card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||maR2307 , LoneCrusader399 , BlueMageBrandon , xXThormentXx , Antiat , DudeMan1031 , rhinoloupe , ShishkyBob , Swamy , golgarigirl , Va1mar , NostalgicAce , Lucretian , the.beanpole , ericalt91 , gildan_bladeborn|
Sphinx Summoner Discussion
1 day ago
Hm. Under the radar suggestions for artifact synergy...I have an Oloro, Ageless Ascetic deck that I've geared toward artifacts (no pun intended) and here's what I've learned from piloting that deck:
Recursion is easily available in Black for any artifact creatures, such as Phyrexian Reclamation, Unburial Rites, etc. Artifacts are also good at recurring themselves, like through Scrap Trawler and Myr Retriever. So I wouldn't worry too much about recursion in Esper colors. Furthermore, you've got insane tutors in your colors, from Sphinx Summoner to Thalia's Lancers to Djeru, With Eyes Open...and since you're in the best flicker colors, you can use Conjurer's Closet, Ghostly Flicker, etc to re-use those abilities and other ETB abilities like Sharuum's or Filigree Angel.
I really love playing Chief Engineer and Inspiring Statuary for hidden little mana advantages. You could also go Thopter "tribal" with Sharding Sphinx, Thopter Spy Network, Efficient Construction, etc. All of that kinda lends itself to an "artifact aristocrat" deck of sorts, but other synergies just depend on how you want to build the deck. However, if you get a list put together, I'd be glad to take a look!
My comments lean away from combo, since that's not my playstyle, but you can also build using the aforementioned infinite combos.
1 month ago
Major overhaul to account for finalized archetypes.
- Dragonlord Ojutai
- Drogskol Reaver
- Goblin Electromancer
- Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker (this makes me sad. If we ever lower the overall power level of the cube then I think this is a contender for a good stuff inclusion in Azorius, but I think its pretty weak right now. Im open to be convinced otherwise!)
- Jori En, Ruin Diver
- Melek, Izzet Paragon
- Murkfiend Liege
- Pride of the Clouds
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept
- Sphinx of the Steel Wind
- Sphinx Summoner
- Stoic Angel (to be replaced with Roon I think?)
- Thunderclap Wyvern
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
- Mask of Riddles
- Thopter Foundry
- Migratory Route
- Archangel of Tithes
- Aven Mindcensor
- Bruna, the Fading Light
- Gisela, the Broken Blade
- Nyx-Fleece Ram (doesnt do enough)
- Precinct Captain (creates tokens on damage, not attack. Not good enough)
- Windborn Muse
- Wingmate Roc
- Call for Unity (there are better pump effects than this)
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite (this might make Boros unplayable. It cant exist in the format, I dont think)
- Arcane Savant
- Baral, Chief of Compliance
- Docent of Perfection Flip
- Ethersworn Adjudicator
- Kefnet the Mindful
- Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
- Sower of Temptation
- Sphinx of Magosi
- Spirit Noble
- Stratus Dancer
- Talrand, Sky Summoner
- Thing in the Ice Flip
- Warden of Evos Isle
- Bident of Thassa
- Etherium Astrolabe
- Notorious Throng
- As Foretold
- Spellweaver Volute
- Baral, Chief of Compliance
- Herald of Anguish
- Liliana's Specter (not sure this does enough, but maybe Im wrong)
- Maddening Imp (this makes me sad, but the cube is too powerful for this card. Maybe in a powered-down version, which we could explore later)
- Morbid Curiosity (the sac deck has enough. This should probably be replaced by Greater Good in any case)
- Executioner's Capsule
- Lethal Vapors (slows the game too much)
- Charmbreaker Devils
- Goblin Dark-Dwellers
- Lord of Shatterskull Pass
- Young Pyromancer
- Mizzix's Mastery
- Vizkopa Guildmage
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
- Ghoulcaller Gisa
- Havengul Lich
- Cemetery Puca (just found this. Thought it could be interesting)
- Vulturous Zombie
- Brago, King Eternal
- Venser, the Sojourner
- Mistmeadow Witch
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
- Waste Not
- Innocent Blood
- Bloodchief Ascension
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Reassembling Skeleton
- Cemetery Reaper
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
- Liliana, Death's Majesty
- Graveborn Muse (good as a phyrexian arena on a stick)
- Geth, Lord of the Vault
- Withered Wretch
- Wight of Precinct Six
- Custodi Lich
- Phyrexian Delver
- Corpse Augur
Note: With Welder and Daretti in the picture, I think its worth reconsidering whether we want Spine of Ish Sah. Its just pure value at that point (still slow to reduce opponents board presence, but you get your artifacts directly to the battlefield)
A few thoughts:
If we want to include Eldrazi Displacer, then I think we have to keep the painlands, and should probably include some other colorless utility lands as well. I would be okay to lose some of the tap for any color lands as well as the artefact lands for this purpose. Its also possible that the Displacer is also just too good, in which case we can add the trilands over the painlands to give Simic Domain a bit more oomph.
Speaking of: Im not familiar with the enablers for Domain, so Im gonna be relying on you a bit to help flesh out the archetype. I look forward to your suggestions!
Anyways, let me know what you think about cuts/additions and I will make the changes. After that, we should probably just switch to cubetutor to get a better idea of where we are with each archetype.
2 months ago
Change Log 01/05/17
Added colored artifacts for the Dimir artifact archetype. Thought it would be a good idea to include some Dimir/X artifacts as well for some added variance.
- Executioner's Capsule (artifact removal)
- Scepter of Fugue (cross archetype artifact. could work in punisher?)
- Sharuum the Hegemon (Gives us a reason to splash white)
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept (good blocker, does stuff when it connects)
- Noxious Gearhulk (bomb)
- Sphinx Sovereign (decent top end, gives orzhov drain a payoff for splashing blue)
- Sphinx Summoner (value fliers. can't say no)
- Tidehollow Strix (this card is probably too shitty... BUT it's a nice rattlesnake in Dimir, which is good in multiplayer, and it's an artifact. Thoughts?)
- Cranial Plating (duh)
- Bident of Thassa (messes with opponents' combat and is an artifact. seems like other decks might want this, which is why i like it)
- Courier's Capsule (it's possible that this card just sucks, but I wanted to cast a wide net)
- Etherium Astrolabe (need sac outlets for Spine etc.)
- Etherium Sculptor (cost reduction)
- Ethersworn Adjudicator (good beater, another reason to splash white)
- Filigree Sages (this actually seems kinda bad now that I think of it. what do you think?)
- Inkwell Leviathan (duh)
- Mask of Riddles (maybe this sucks, but it's a good way to sneak in some damage and get cards while being an artifact)
- Master of Etherium (duh)
- Master Transmuter (duh)
- Sharding Sphinx (good top end)
- Skill Borrower (possible terrible, but could be fun. We need to see if there are enough activated abilities in the archetype to justify this)
- Thopter Foundry (need sac outlets, card is just value. we will not include the combo I don't think)
- Bastion Inventor (seems decent, but maybe a bit underpowered in multiplayer)
- Herald of Anguish (duh)
- Reverse Engineer (draw that rewards artifact decks. maybe too specific? probably better for the cube to just put some other draw in this slot)
- Sly Requisitioner (good way to get value from your sacced artifacts. also lines up nicely against the grave pact deck)
- Whir of Invention (duh)
- Wurmcoil Engine (duh)
- Spine of Ish Sah (duh)
- Solemn Simulacrum (duh)
- Scrap Trawler (duh)
- Treasure Keeper (duh)
- Filigree Familiar (duh)
- Epochrasite (i'm not super sold on this, but I like recurrable creatures in multiplayer, so this seems nice)
- Lodestone Golem (possibly too annoying)
- Scarecrone (duh)
- Foundry Inspector (duh)
- Palladium Myr (duh)
- Trading Post (duh)
- Myr Retriever (duh)
- Ichor Wellspring (duh)
- Mycosynth Wellspring (duh)
- Pristine Talisman (duh)
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (not sure actually whether this is the right tez for this archetype. both of the ones from kaladesh seem spicy. what do you think?)
OVERALL THOUGHTS: I'm a bit worried that this archetype as it is now builds itself too easily. I would prefer to have more cross-pollination among archetypes and less "this card is only good in the artifact deck". There is a risk that having both goblins (which are basically junk cards if no one is in the archetype) and artifacts (many of which are only good in the Dimir archetype) dilute the cube too much, making the less archetype-driven decks worse off due to fewer playables. What do you think?
2 months ago
I used to run Unwinding Clock and it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I usually don't attack with my creatures and only few of my artifacts (accept for mana rocks) tap, so I took it out. As I said before I never attack so Feldon of the Third Path is pointless, especially because I usually can bring back creatures from the graveyard if I need them. Magister Sphinx on the other hand is a great card, but it puts me in a situation where I have to pick the player, and it draws too much hate. Conjurer's Closet would work well with Breya though, but CMC is waaay to high. Sphinx Summoner is just too expensive tutor. I also used to run Spine of Ish Sah, but it always ended up as a first card to discard. Thanks for your insight!
Goblin Welder is the only Goblin I run, so Krenko, Mob Boss wouldn't be a bomb in this deck. Purphoros, God of the Forge deals so much more damage when I simply blink my creatures. Eldrazi Monument got too high CMC. Thanks!
2 months ago
Unwinding Clock and Shimmer Myr work well together. Feldon of the Third Path helps bring back artifact creatures for a turn. Cheat out a Magister Sphinx to make their life 10 and Conjurer's Closet to trigger your enter the battlefield effects again. Sphinx Summoner is great search. Spine of Ish Sah combos well with Panharmonicon and Goblin Welder. It's best to find ways to cheat out artifacts.
4 months ago
Why don't go Full Combo mode here? Grand Architect is a great engine, but also allows for some other synergies with Heartless Summoning, like the Myr Retriever Combo + Altar of the Brood. Could use Trinket Mage to find the Altar, and Muddle the Mixture to find the other pieces of your preference.
The other Upside is the Alternate Wincons and resiliency of the 4 Myr Superion Strategy. Very few decks can recover from a Wurmcoil Engine turn 3 followed by a Metamorph.. Glint-Nest Crane is Also Amazing here without a doubt. i would Suggest:
5 months ago
zeusbad yeah I already thought about including her too since i already run Trinket Mage but I just can't decide on something to cut for her.
Imo it should definetely be a creature that I'd be exchanging her with, I don't hvae a lot to choose from this section though.
Sphinx Summoner and Ethersworn Adjudicator are already on their way out and I consider cutting Deadeye Navigator for Blightsteel Colossus and Riddlesmith for Phyrexian Metamorph and I need the rest of the creatures for combos except for Brago, King Eternal, Trinket Mage, Baleful Strix and Scarecrone. With Deadeye gone, Brago will become my new value egnine so I don't want to cut him. So we have Baleful Strix and Scarecrone which I can better abuse than the Trophy Mage and at last Trinket Mage.
I don't know, what'd you exchange him with?
5 months ago
What do you men exactly,zeusbad?
In case you mean Sphinx Summoner, I removed it because I don't feel like it's useful enough because excepr for maybe Pili-Pala none of it's targets are essential to my strategy. I don't see where I removed another tutor.