Artifact Creature — Sphinx
When Sphinx Summoner enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact creature card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||maR2307 , DudeMan1031 , Va1mar , LoneCrusader399 , ShishkyBob , golgarigirl , BlueMageBrandon , Swamy , NostalgicAce , the.beanpole , gildan_bladeborn|
Sphinx Summoner Discussion
3 weeks ago
Change Log 01/05/17
Added colored artifacts for the Dimir artifact archetype. Thought it would be a good idea to include some Dimir/X artifacts as well for some added variance.
- Executioner's Capsule (artifact removal)
- Scepter of Fugue (cross archetype artifact. could work in punisher?)
- Sharuum the Hegemon (Gives us a reason to splash white)
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept (good blocker, does stuff when it connects)
- Noxious Gearhulk (bomb)
- Sphinx Sovereign (decent top end, gives orzhov drain a payoff for splashing blue)
- Sphinx Summoner (value fliers. can't say no)
- Tidehollow Strix (this card is probably too shitty... BUT it's a nice rattlesnake in Dimir, which is good in multiplayer, and it's an artifact. Thoughts?)
- Cranial Plating (duh)
- Bident of Thassa (messes with opponents' combat and is an artifact. seems like other decks might want this, which is why i like it)
- Courier's Capsule (it's possible that this card just sucks, but I wanted to cast a wide net)
- Etherium Astrolabe (need sac outlets for Spine etc.)
- Etherium Sculptor (cost reduction)
- Ethersworn Adjudicator (good beater, another reason to splash white)
- Filigree Sages (this actually seems kinda bad now that I think of it. what do you think?)
- Inkwell Leviathan (duh)
- Mask of Riddles (maybe this sucks, but it's a good way to sneak in some damage and get cards while being an artifact)
- Master of Etherium (duh)
- Master Transmuter (duh)
- Sharding Sphinx (good top end)
- Skill Borrower (possible terrible, but could be fun. We need to see if there are enough activated abilities in the archetype to justify this)
- Thopter Foundry (need sac outlets, card is just value. we will not include the combo I don't think)
- Bastion Inventor (seems decent, but maybe a bit underpowered in multiplayer)
- Herald of Anguish (duh)
- Reverse Engineer (draw that rewards artifact decks. maybe too specific? probably better for the cube to just put some other draw in this slot)
- Sly Requisitioner (good way to get value from your sacced artifacts. also lines up nicely against the grave pact deck)
- Whir of Invention (duh)
- Wurmcoil Engine (duh)
- Spine of Ish Sah (duh)
- Solemn Simulacrum (duh)
- Scrap Trawler (duh)
- Treasure Keeper (duh)
- Filigree Familiar (duh)
- Epochrasite (i'm not super sold on this, but I like recurrable creatures in multiplayer, so this seems nice)
- Lodestone Golem (possibly too annoying)
- Scarecrone (duh)
- Foundry Inspector (duh)
- Palladium Myr (duh)
- Trading Post (duh)
- Myr Retriever (duh)
- Ichor Wellspring (duh)
- Mycosynth Wellspring (duh)
- Pristine Talisman (duh)
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (not sure actually whether this is the right tez for this archetype. both of the ones from kaladesh seem spicy. what do you think?)
OVERALL THOUGHTS: I'm a bit worried that this archetype as it is now builds itself too easily. I would prefer to have more cross-pollination among archetypes and less "this card is only good in the artifact deck". There is a risk that having both goblins (which are basically junk cards if no one is in the archetype) and artifacts (many of which are only good in the Dimir archetype) dilute the cube too much, making the less archetype-driven decks worse off due to fewer playables. What do you think?
1 month ago
I used to run Unwinding Clock and it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I usually don't attack with my creatures and only few of my artifacts (accept for mana rocks) tap, so I took it out. As I said before I never attack so Feldon of the Third Path is pointless, especially because I usually can bring back creatures from the graveyard if I need them. Magister Sphinx on the other hand is a great card, but it puts me in a situation where I have to pick the player, and it draws too much hate. Conjurer's Closet would work well with Breya though, but CMC is waaay to high. Sphinx Summoner is just too expensive tutor. I also used to run Spine of Ish Sah, but it always ended up as a first card to discard. Thanks for your insight!
Goblin Welder is the only Goblin I run, so Krenko, Mob Boss wouldn't be a bomb in this deck. Purphoros, God of the Forge deals so much more damage when I simply blink my creatures. Eldrazi Monument got too high CMC. Thanks!
1 month ago
Unwinding Clock and Shimmer Myr work well together. Feldon of the Third Path helps bring back artifact creatures for a turn. Cheat out a Magister Sphinx to make their life 10 and Conjurer's Closet to trigger your enter the battlefield effects again. Sphinx Summoner is great search. Spine of Ish Sah combos well with Panharmonicon and Goblin Welder. It's best to find ways to cheat out artifacts.
2 months ago
Why don't go Full Combo mode here? Grand Architect is a great engine, but also allows for some other synergies with Heartless Summoning, like the Myr Retriever Combo + Altar of the Brood. Could use Trinket Mage to find the Altar, and Muddle the Mixture to find the other pieces of your preference.
The other Upside is the Alternate Wincons and resiliency of the 4 Myr Superion Strategy. Very few decks can recover from a Wurmcoil Engine turn 3 followed by a Metamorph.. Glint-Nest Crane is Also Amazing here without a doubt. i would Suggest:
4 months ago
zeusbad yeah I already thought about including her too since i already run Trinket Mage but I just can't decide on something to cut for her.
Imo it should definetely be a creature that I'd be exchanging her with, I don't hvae a lot to choose from this section though.
Sphinx Summoner and Ethersworn Adjudicator are already on their way out and I consider cutting Deadeye Navigator for Blightsteel Colossus and Riddlesmith for Phyrexian Metamorph and I need the rest of the creatures for combos except for Brago, King Eternal, Trinket Mage, Baleful Strix and Scarecrone. With Deadeye gone, Brago will become my new value egnine so I don't want to cut him. So we have Baleful Strix and Scarecrone which I can better abuse than the Trophy Mage and at last Trinket Mage.
I don't know, what'd you exchange him with?
4 months ago
What do you men exactly,zeusbad?
In case you mean Sphinx Summoner, I removed it because I don't feel like it's useful enough because excepr for maybe Pili-Pala none of it's targets are essential to my strategy. I don't see where I removed another tutor.
5 months ago
I must say that I love this deck. I'm trying to build something similar now. I have to ask You for some cards exclusion. Could You please explain why are You not including this cards in the deck:
- Swords to Plowshares
- All other black removals
And this combos:
Mycosynth Lattice + VandalblastDarksteel Forge + Mycosynth Lattice + Nevinyrral's DiskMetalworker + Staff of Domination + 3 artifacts in hand: Infinite mana, life, creature tap/untaps and draw your deck.
Thank You for help!
5 months ago
Magister Sphinx blinking this would suck for your opponents
Sphinx Summoner blink makes it work several times
Eldrazi Displacer one of Breya's infinite combo pieces.
Phyrexian Metamorph can blink him to copy any ETB critter effect you want
Myr Battlesphere self explanatory
I will think of more.