|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- What happens when I cast Synthetic Destiny, but I have less creature cards in my library then I exiled.
- Would command beacon reset the extra mana for a commander?
- Can you get experience no matter where the commander is.
- When Karn, Silver Golem turns a non-creature into a creature, does that creature "enter" the battlefield?
- Does Simic Keyrune trigger Ezuri, Claw Of Progress
Ezuri, Claw of Progress
Legendary Creature — Elf Warrior
Whenever a creature with power 2 or less enters the battlefield under your control, you get an experience counter.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, put X +1/+1 counters on another target creature you control, where X is the number of experience counters you have.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ezuri, Claw of Progress Discussion
1 week ago
Ok I know the title is a little non-specific, but I'm a Johnny/Timmy style of player that likes to use some bigger creatures and big spells to win. I've been looking for a commander that can kinda do that for me. Personally I don't really wanna play animar, mostly because he either evolves into combo, or really invests into the eldrazi titans and Blightsteel. (which gets expensive fast) Considering my budget is up to 150$ for a start.
Some commanders I've been looking into. include
Though Ezuri isn't necessarily, big stuff off the bat I was fiddling with him on cockatrice. His massive downside was that if he was the least bit focused you were pretty much dead in the water. But he made things huge... hence why I at least tested him.
Nylea is green (ramp) and gives everything trample and you can use her ability to boost your creatures in a pinch or for that much more damage.She's a commander that gives the non evasive big guys some stomp, and with ramp can pump one creature (maybe two) To outrageous heights
Mina and Denn pump out mana like it's going out of style, and with the right cards can get a pretty serious engine going. They're also a little more subtle and can give something trample.
I just wanna know if you guys might have some other ideas
I'm looking for a commander for a "Big Creature.dec" that isn't Animar and won't be focused so hard/has serious protection. That can be effective around 150$ an starting budget.
2 weeks ago
Don't you just love Ezuri, Claw of Progress? What I love most about +1/+1 counters, is that you can do more with em than just grow big creatures. If you want to know what I mean, check out my Ezuri deck and let me know what you think.
2 weeks ago
Solid deck, and not a build of Tana I had seen before. You'll get my +1, and another review!
"Even though it really triggers me, I can't eat Nana Tana's GetRekt Stew without compleating the whole bowl!" - Ezuri, Claw of Progress
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
You said you enjoy timmy/johny plays. Can you also give us your favourite colours?
I have found that for starting EDH players going 2 colours is the best (3 if the manabase is within budget), as single is too limited and 4 and above can lead to a lack of focus ending up with a very generic goodstuff.deck that has no personality.
If you don't have any colour preferences then here are my suggestions and a simple reasoning behind them:
Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: simic is in my opinion the strongest colour pair in edh for the strong card draw, the ability to interact with all card types, both on and off the battlefield. Rashmi is a good card advantage engine byherself and can be a great support for any kind of strategy.
Ezuri, Claw of Progress: although he does not provide the amount of value Rashmi does on her own, he takes extreme advantage of small one-use utility creatures turning them into real threats. The ramp is there and so is the protection to play him often and keep him on the field enough to help your board go out of control very fast.
Glissa, the Traitor: golgari is my favourite colour pair but I think it lacks a little behind simic just because you lose the ability to interact with the stack. Still, Glissa is cheap, relevant in combat, has loads of combo potential and can support a plethora of attrition/stax tactics.
Varolz, the Scar-Striped is another interesting general. He is voltrony for sure, but he is also a free sac outlet so the creature combos are very real with him as well. It'a a 2-in-1 pack of sorts but you can choose how to build around him in any number of ways.
4 weeks ago
So I have an Ezuri, Claw of Progress build, myself. You should check it out! I'm gonna give you some ideas, as I may have a few more experience counters than you xD
The suggestions I make are from my list, but I won't mention any cards outside of your budget. Let's get started!
This is alphabetical, not in order of relevance:
- Avenger of Zendikar is a bomb! He usually produces 7 tokens (sometimes more, rarely less). That's 7 Ezuri triggers! A great way to spend some mana.
- Birthing Pod is good; in my opinion, it is secondary to Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (more on him later)
- Breeding Pool is in your sideboard, but is a little out of your budget. If you're willing to buy it, there is absolutely no reason to leave it out of your deck
- Cyclonic Rift is an auto-include, as you are playing a blue EDH deck
- As brian.olson542 mentioned, Fathom Mage is amazing with Ezuri. It's the best card draw you'll get
- Green Sun's Zenith is amazing if you have enough green creatures to make it relevant. Tutoring is important in Commander, especially with a toolbox build (Ezuri can easily be a very effective toolbox). If you have too many blue/artifact creatures, I would go for other tutors
- Hinterland Harbor is from my favorite cycle of lands. In a 2-color deck, it will usually enter the battlefield _UN_tapped, without having to Shock yourself. Wonderful!
- You would be amazed at just how useful Kiora's Follower is. Got a tapped Simic Growth Chamber, Sol Ring, or Oran-Rief, the Vastwood? No problem :) Of course, it can also untap any creatures you have, as well as tapping an opponent's artifacts/creatures. So much utility in one little creature!
- I am familiar with Lifecrafter's Bestiary (or the Pokedex, as I call it). However, I have not tried it in my Ezuri Claw build. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out!
- Murkfiend Liege is definitely not as good as Seedborn Muse, but it is also 90% cheaper, so that's okay
- Mycoloth is one of the best ways to get more counters! You needn't devour anything as it enters, though you certainly may. Just dump XP into it, and you get some tokens, which gives you more XP, which gives you more tokens, which gives...
- Panharmonicon - yesyesYES!!! This card is bonkers! Creatures that create tokens when they enter the battlefield (i.e.: Avenger of Zendikar) will create twice that amount! But wait - There's more! Those tokens will trigger Ezuri TWICE! For those of you following along at home, that's FOUR TIMES the Ezuri triggers for those tokens. You can't afford to pass that up!
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter really doesn't play with Ezuri, but it is an A+ Simic card.
- PUT IN Sage of Hours!!! He is an infinite combo, and a win condition. If you have 4 XP, play Sage, get another XP, enter combat, place 5 counters on Sage and remove them instantly, take an extra turn. Then do the same thing next turn. Then the next. Then the next. You see where i'm going here? It's infinite turns, my friend. There's no cooler way to win (well... except for Now I Know My ABC's... but that's a different deck)
- I don't usually like taplands, but I make an excuse for Temple of Mystery. The artwork alone keeps it in, and the scrying is noice
- Yavimaya Coast is another solid and inexpensive option for mana
This is kinda alphabetical... but not really. _()_/
- Abundance lets you decide: Do you want a land or not? If you're short lands, get a land. If you're flooded, you can make sure you don't get any more. This is one of the few cards I will suggest that doesn't play with Ezuri, but it will certainly help you get better draws. Bonus: if (for some reason) you were about to be milled to death, this card will save you. If you look at the text, you'll notice that you do not actually draw cards anymore. Thus, when you go to draw from an empty library, nothing will happen. Value!
- Animation Module allows you to get a token whenever you distribute counters. Not super flashy, but an additional Ezuri trigger each turn is nothing to sneeze at.
- Beast Within is some of the best removal you'll get in Simic
- Blighted Agent is Invisible Stalker's Evil Twin. It is almost entirely better than Blight Mamba, and will win you many games.
- Bramblewood Paragon will give all your compleated creatures trample. Bonus: If you play it before Ezuri, your General enters as a 4/4
- Champion of Lambholt makes all your creatures unblockable.
- Chord of Calling is a wonderful tutor! Convoke really makes this baby shine.
- Contagion Engine is removal and the best proliferation you'll get.
- Crystalline Crawler is the best mana producer you'll see for Ezuri
- Cultivator of Blades triggers Ezuri 3 times (10 times with Panharmonicon), and then proceeds to make all your creatures far stronger when she attacks
- Den Protector is a hybrid of Eternal Witness and Champion of Lambholt; it doesn't do either ability as well, but it does do both.
- Defense of the Heart is my favorite Magic card. Look at it. Embrace it. Then tutor for Cultivator of Blades and Avenger of Zendikar :D
- Deranged Hermit gives you 5 quick triggers. You could pay to keep it around, but I usually don't.
- Dryad Arbor is a free Ezuri trigger
- Fauna Shaman lets you chose which creatures you'll be casting.
- The Fable of Wolf and Owl is the second best story ever told (the first being the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise).
- Fertilid lets you extract your lands from your deck, insuring that you will have mana, but not draw lands when you could be drawing more creatures.
- Hangarback Walker loves getting big, then making cute flying ezuri-triggering babies when it dies.
- Kalonian Hydra doubles the counters on ALL OF YOUR CREATURES!
- Loaming Shaman doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he gets your creatures back, so we keep him around.
- Momir Vig, Simic Visionary is the creature that tutors for creatures. He triggers Ezuri, and also finds the bodies you need.
- Nature's Claim is great because it's only 1 mana. The 4 life is negligible.
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar gives you triggers, as well as counters.
- Parallel Lives because Doubling Season is too expensive.
- Phantom Nantuko is one helluva blocker. I like it better than Fog Bank, personally.
- Pongify - more one-mana removal! you already run one Rapid Hybridization, why not two?
- While we're on removal, there's Reality Shift. It's great beucase if they manifest a non-creature, then they can never cast it. So not only did you remove their Blightsteel Colossus, but you also got their Armageddon (yes, this actually happened to me once; the guy was so ticked).
- Reclamation Sage is removal on ezuri-triggering legs.
- Okay... so I know this is just a little out of your budget, but Sakashima the Impostor simply must go in. It can copy Ezuri, and is the only copy effect that can do so. I want you to imagine, atlasthetitan64, a world with 2 Ezuris. Think about all the triggering! All the COUNTERS! That, my friend, is Phyrexia incarnate. Search your couch for the spare change: Sakashima is well worth it.
- Servant of the Scale is a great one-drop. You can buff him up with no worries. If he dies, you'll just move the counters onto someone else, such as Fathom Mage.
- Simic Manipulator may cause you to lose all your friends, but that ability...
- Spike Feeder gives you more life than you'll know what to do with
- Triskelion is removal. Doesn't trigger Ezuri, but he's a beast. Dump a bunch of counters on him and watch your opponents squirm!
- If you play enough tokens, Triumph of the Hordes can be a good one-turn kill
- Viral Drake is great because of infect, obviously. However, even the proliferation is a welcome addition. It triggers Ezuri, and you'll get more conuters on your creatures, more XP, and more poison counters on your foes!
- Vorel of the Hull Clade doubles the counters on a creature. Great for Triskelion, Blighted Agent, Cultivator of Blades, or Fathom Mage
- Whirler Rogue is akin to Cultivator of Blades. It gets the same bonus from Panharmonicon. It also grants unblockability.
- Wild Beastmaster is not as good as Cultivator of Blades, but it's 2 mana cheaper.
- Wingcrafter is a great one-drop. I'd definitely play it over Cobbled Wings.
- Worldly Tutor wrote the book on creature tutoring. It's a good read!
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, because tutoring + cheaper creatures = a win.
Whew! Well I gave you a lot to think about, there. feel free to ask questions about anything I've suggested; I'd be happy to give you examples from games I've played, etc. Good luck, and happy deck-teching!
1 month ago
The problem with this deck (and its a big one) is that there's no synergy with the commander. Momir Vig, Simic Visionary, other than perhaps his high CMC (converted mana cost), is an incredible commander in that you can tutor (i.e. search your library: think cards like: Diabolic Tutor, Mystical Tutor and etc.) for an infinite win con that allows you to win instantly. An example that works well in budget is Ezuri, Claw of Progress and your Sage of Hours. Get both of them down and some experience counters and enjoy lots of extra turns. Add a Vorel of the Hull Clade and fistful of 1 to 2 mana blue-green creatures to speed things up: when you have 5 experience, you have an infinite win con, where you have literally infinite turns.
There are dozens of such combos, and a bit of research will allow you to combo off at around turn 6 or so.
Another piece of information pertaining to any deck in commander: Put in at least 8 mana ramp spells. These spells include land accelerations, such as Rampant Growth; mana rocks, such as Sky Diamond; and mana dorks, such as Axebane Guardian. These types of spells allow you to play your more expensive spells sooner, and with a commander with a CMC of 5, you'll need around 10.
Thats my humble opinion tho. Don't quote me