|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Rare|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Rare|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Rare|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Rare|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Rare|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Rare|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Rare|
|Revised Foreign Black Border (3EDFBB)||Rare|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Rare|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Rare|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Rare|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Rare|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of each player's draw step, if Howling Mine is untapped, that player draws an additional card.
Howling Mine Discussion
1 week ago
I my opinion, what you can do here is cut things that only gives value to you for things that gives value to every player (or at least some other players): There are some examples:
That is the way you can add the cards that I mentioned, because you have a lot of things that don't help opponents. .
The only temur commanders that I think that can lead a group hug deck are Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix + Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist . Ludevic has the "don't hit me and you will have a card" effect that goes perfectly with Group Hug philosophy, and Kydele can be a good ramp card with all the Howling Mine effects.
1 week ago
If I'm in mono white or boros I have no problem running Howling Mine
1 week ago
I definitely wanna pick up 2x more Hinterland Harbor and maybe look into the cycling lands from amonket/fast lands... currently this is the best I have but Im looking to improve the mana base with about anything short of Misty Rainforest in price... Magosi, the Waterveil is an attempt to squeeze in a VERY situational Savor the Moment / Time Warp into the mana base... im not exactly sold on it however if I have open mana/fogs in hand to negate the opponents extra turn sometimes it can end up being a game winning/win more maneuver later....sometimes...but is more often to my determinant with the opponent playing Field of Ruin soon after I give them an extra turn and i just end up giving them a free turn... It just needs to go.
I really love Howling Mine in theory but letting the opponent pick up there deck usually just ensures them coming up with an answer to beat me.... I agree Narset, Parter of Veils might be a much better choice. Im a little bit torn on Explore ... its super powerful but definitly performs better when Im running 24+ lands perhaps I could consider running higher CMC to get better value from it with things like you said like Riftwing Cloudskate ? but otherwise if I have a lower cmc curve as well as a lower mana count it should probably just be a cantrip like Opt .
I do have a few Eternal Witness laying around so maybe with the addition of at least 4 more fogs and 2-3 E.W. I'll have a lot more resilience... but Cryptic Command / Snapcaster Mage /fetches are gonna be just wishful thinking for this deck... dont have any/not willing to buy at this time... some day though... ive spent so much money over the years on cheeky "budget" cards that I could have totally have had a full playset of snappy/command by now :/
nice catch with Spell Queller in the Spirits game...an oversight on my part that has to be addressed... ive ran Raking Canopy in the SB in previous decklists and it worked out pretty good but im not so sure here....thanks a lot for the input! Im gonna keep tinkering with the list!
2 weeks ago
- Fetchlands can help mana fix as well as thin the deck a little bit (It only gives you a like 1 or two percentage points so do that last).
- Fast lands and check lands are amazing I would have at least 4 in total between the two. Magosi, the Waterveil doesnt seem like an amazing card to me. You give someone one an extra turn which lets them draw more threats while you don't draw anything. I don't even see UWx Control style decks running it. I would run different lands, maybe some man lands if you want to go that route.
- Howling Mine is only good if you have a way to tap it, so you can break the symmetry. Look at this way, you are looking for 12-N fogs, they are looking for any threat in there deck. Temple bell isn't great for the same reason. They only way to use those cards are with ways to break the symmetry. Narset, Parter of Veils is a better card in general.
- Explore is great ramp when you are running more lands. If you want card draw run Opt .
- Fog Bank is also an amazing creature, being it flys. If you arent playing against bolt affects.
- Sleep can be pretty damaging and it lets you hold onto fogs longer.
- Cryptic Command is wayyyy better than whelming wave. Its always a two for 1. Venser, Shaper Savant is also good. Riftwing Cloudskate is also nice due to the fact you cant stall enough turns. Repeal is also good It can bounce anything, plus draw a card.
- Gigadrowse is an interesting card. I dont fault anyone for taking it. I personally dont like it as much. I think the cards i listed above just do a better job.
- If you use the blue filtering cards like opt, you wont need as many Kioras being you be able to find them easier, plus itll free up more deck space for other cards.
- I can see why you want no ETBs now. The Immortal Sun although higher CMC would shut them down hard as well. Id still probably run T. Orb though. Just throwing that out there.
- Eternal Witness and Snapcaster Mage mages are tempting for you to run being you can recast fogs which makes your deck more powerful. Just having creatures can be ok, because they get you value and can trade which means you dont have to use a fog, and can remove a creature slowing the game. Which are all great things, you can baord them out when you want T. orb.
- For spirits if they are playing a competive list you should just lose. I dont know how you deal with Spell Queller .
2 weeks ago
I would just like to note, the artwork of a bird deck is very important.
Instead of basics from Dominaria, the Plains from Mirage have birds in the art: Plains
It's a crime to not run Soraya the Falconer . She is of the uttermost bird-kind.
For an actual suggestion, Abolish is an underrated card with much application. But you must further your bird-game. Make haste!
3 weeks ago
You need card draw big time. Consider Infiltration Lens , Farsight Mask , Knollspine Dragon , Wheel of Fate , Reforge the Soul , Geier Reach Sanitarium , Chandra, Flamecaller , Howling Mine , Dragon Mage , Skyline Despot , Mind's Eye , Outpost Siege , Stolen Strategy , and Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip.
It's up to you to decide what's worth adding in. I would say you could use at least 5 of these card draw sources listed above in your deck
3 weeks ago
The above-mentioned Sadistic Hypnotist is also one of the best cards to put in a Nath deck.
Also the new Garruk, Cursed Huntsman fits any creature based deck quite nicely since it gives your creatures permanent trample and +3/+3 if you manage to pull it off. And it's not very hard if you have any sac outlets. Mind Slash and Attrition both work wonders with Nath.
I have my own version of Nath here if you want to take a look. Backstreet Elves
4 weeks ago
This list is really cool! Strong theme and good use of new commander.
See a small proliferate/counter theme. No Karn's Bastion ?
Howling Mine occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%