|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+2, has intimidate, and is a black Zombie.
Whenever a nontoken creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay 4. If you do, return that card to the battlefield and attach Nim Deathmantle to it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||ironax , bakunet , Fullmetalmage , meowCat1234 , perrin515 , Chandelier , robbnoble , Roadhog , Lindough , xXThormentXx , Antiat , sonnet666 , Spinalripper , mentor6 , cklise|
|Want (6)||ericalt91 , mlouden03 , Turtlelover73 , Pylioz , BlueMageBrandon , Desol4tion|
Nim Deathmantle Discussion
6 days ago
hoardofnotions, this is great feedback! Thanks a lot. You gave me some great ideas here.
I hesitate with cutting World Breaker somehow since I can use it multiple times and not only once. Also it's effect is uncounterable and the boots are simple but good protection.
But as I take a more precise look at Nim Deathmantle, maybe I have a great idea, too: What do you think about cutting Swiftfoot Boots for Nim Deathmantle since it's also kinda able to protect Omnath ('cause I don't really have a mana problem in this deck). That again opens the doors for using Eternal Witness (which I would swap with Nissa, Vital Force) more than once (either with the deathmantle or Cloudstone Curio + elemental tokens) which also allows to use cards like Beast Within multiple times. This would make World Breaker unnecessary and I could swap it with Beast Within or Reclamation Sage (since the sage is tutorable). Good idea or rather too complicated?
Hanweir Battlements' haste effect doesn't sound bad, I will think about it! I will also add Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and Stomping Ground as soon as I acquire them. Same goes for Life from the Loam.
I'm still not sure about Sylvan Scrying though. It's a choice between this and more utility which could make the game slower or Rampant Growth which speeds up the game a bit. And up til now I'm more on the faster side for this one
Last but not least, I'm not a huge fan of the cycle lands. I tried Sheltered Thicket for some time but it just didn't convince me.
1 week ago
I think you could use more card draw. Phyrexian Arena would be a good choice, and so would Arguel's Blood Fast Flip. Greed is another option. I think you could also use some more mass board wipes, and in black you could pull off In Garruk's Wake and Plague Wind, or Kindred Dominance. Those are three board wipes that allow you to keep your board state, which is so great with a token strategy. Nim Deathmantle might be better than Whip of Erebos. I also think that Olivia Voldaren is better than Olivia, Mobilized for War, unless you have some synergistic stuff going on with her.
I think I would pull New Blood. Nice flavor, but I don't think its worth it. Since you're running Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, you should run Filth, too. And if you want a backup to Urborg, Blanket of Night is good. I think I'd dump Rakdos Charm, too. Usually good against token strategies, but you are running a bit of one yourself.
How does Well of Lost Dreams work for you? You have lots of life loss effects going on, so if it works well, then stick with it. If you find yourself tapped out most of the time that you would want to use it, then a more straightforward card draw engine or another mana rock might work out better.
I hope that helps some. I love the vampire tribal theme, so I hope you get it working for you.
1 week ago
Hey! I saw your update and thought I could add my two cents in. I really like the changes except for taking out your removal! I think Beast Within is better than World Breaker 'cause it's cheaper and instant speed.I'm not sure Swiftfoot Boots is nessary either, maybe cut that for Decimate?
Maybe adding Sylvan Scrying could be good?
Adding Stomping Ground, Forgotten Cave, Sheltered Thicket, Tranquil Thicket, Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle could add more utility. The cycling lands help enable titania and if you add life from the loam it's basically card draw that can help set up Splendid Reclamation as well.
Is amulet of vigor good outside your combo with perilous forays? I kinda like adding Nim Deathmantle to go infinte with ashnod's/phyrexian altar and avenger/titania.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Hey there harbingerofduh, thanks for the comment and suggestions!
First of all, very nice deck, I really do enjoy the rock-style choices you've made. There are some similarities with some parts of my own deck, but ultimately we went different directions which is very cool to compare and contrast.
I like the Greater Gargadon suggestion, that is a really nice un-interactable sac outlet for sure. I will consider it, added to the Maybeboard. In regards to Nim Deathmantle, I certainly see some awesome scenarios for it, even in my own metagame where we only allow 5 cycles per turn of a demonstrated infinite loop. I do think it fits better in your deck, trying to grind out the opposition. The card is great, albeit slow, as a value engine, but after some thought on it I don't know if it will be a fit for me.
Fleshbag Marauder and his cousin Merciless Executioner - great cards, which I actually had included in past iterations of the deck, but with so few slots for interaction currently they were tough cuts. I like them as miniature board wipes for sure, there could be a spot for 1 in the future. In that same type of slot would go Shriekmaw, basically creature tutorable removal. It's definitely on my radar as a possible change to make.
1 week ago
If you're looking to add a little more consistency to your ability to go infinite, there are a few options:
- Nim Deathmantle is basically a second copy of Eldrazi Displacer that you can fetch with Fabricate.
- Ashnod's Altar / Krark-Clan Ironworks go infinite with Displacer/Deathmantle and Breya. They don't give you the infinite colored mana to steal the entire board with Memnarch, but the whole combo is fetchable with Saheeli.
- If you're running Pia's Revolution, it may be worth running Thopter Foundry / Sword of the Meek.
- You have the Sharuum + Sculpting Steel / Metamorph combo, but no payoffs. Those cards are an instant win with Blood Artist or Disciple of the Vault.
- Not sure what your budget is, but if you're running Disk/Forge already, you might consider Mycosynth Lattice / Vandalblast.
In terms of possible cuts:
- As weird as it sounds, Deadeye Navigator is a little awkward in Breya. You're 4-color, so the blue in its activation cost ends up being really awkward. It's not bad, but Breya is so packed with broken options that Deadeye ends up not actually being one of the best things you can do with 8 mana (casting cost + first activation).
- Training Grounds is probably worth watching. It seems right on the borderline.
- Hangarback Walker is likely going to end up a little awkward. You have a lot of recursion that puts things directly in to play, which it doesn't work with at all. It's also kind of slow. If you're looking to generate thopters, something like Thopter Spy Network might actually do more work.
- Vedalken Orrery is probably one to watch as well. Playing at instant speed is fun, but given that you're not running any counters or draw spells, it's largely just giving a modest amount of board protection. In most cases, you're probably not flashing in your whole combo, and if you lose a piece, there's tons of graveyard recursion. Might actually be better to just run 1-2 counterspells.