|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
, Sacrifice Scourglass: Destroy all permanents except for artifacts and lands. Play this ability only during your upkeep.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||Supremespeed , , angesoir , AlucardZain , Razulghul , kaboomeow , Fairseas , PreZchoICE1 , firemind12 , ZombieFood|
|Want (18)||kvfd1719 , IrishCross88 , ShadyPear , bbtancakes , Jelatinator , kovellen , Gypsyhatten , GrumpItGreg , nobody1248 , loganbowers , Georgez96 , Mousemke , xander025 , Loading_Error , orzhov_moskalski , ray3003 , Clawsun73 , metljoe|
1 month ago
The transition to modern, the font of many interesting new decks. I'm gonna talk some ideas, feel free to ignore them all or take whatever is interesting.
In terms of creatures, you have access to a wealth of interesting 'artifacts matter' creatures, from Ardent Recruit and Court Homunculus, Flayer Husk to Galvanic Blast and Dispatch, Salvage Scout and Slag Fiend, Thraben Inspector and Lupine Prototype. There is a lot of options, and its all good for different things. Rummage around and see what looks fun- something like Scourglass vehicles has real potential.
The issue with getting access to all that fun new stuff is that everyone packs artifact hate in their sideboard. Fracturing Gust or Shattering Spree or Ancient Grudge is everywhere. This is largely due to affinity, a very low to the ground (almost all 0 and 1 drop) artifact deck running Cranial Plating, Arcbound Ravager and Steel Overseer, as well as the proliferation of Myr Retriever combo decks.
I'd give some thought to 1 drops and Springleaf Drum, but not get too set on it. (affinity makes use of its big brother, Mox Opal too). You're already looking to tap your creatures and ramp, so it looks strong, but remember that affinity is already doing this thing and doing it well, and everyone is prepared.
Running closer to a midrange strategy with a white disruption package (I'm not sure I can convince you to splash black for Tidehollow Sculler Lingering Souls and Duress variants, but with aether hub and access to all of modern's fixing, its well within reach), you can look at using cards like Nevermore, Path to Exile/Chained to the Rocks, Ghostly Prison and the like to put up barriers to other people's strategy a lot better than in standard. This means that your ability to crew your vehicles should remain more intact. The big thing is making those big artifacts still be useful when your opponent casts a lot of removal.
I expect your deck to survive the regular playsets of Path to Exile or Fatal Push due to its composition, but I'd love to see a little more card advantage and card-blanking woven in there, especially when it can help crew. Who knows, perhaps Vendilion Clique vehicles will be meta soon. I certainly have no idea what will be viable in modern next year.
2 months ago
2 months ago
DrkNinja: Those are some amazing recommendations. I do want to know which cards you feel are the best to cut for some of these as I'm new to voltron. I ran a bunch of control creatures to kind of help maintain a board state in my meta which is usually 1v1 or 3 player. I own everything you mentioned bar Replenish, Scourglass, Leonin Abunas, and Spirit Loop.
2 months ago
You almost have all the forms of Nahiri!
Also I think in a voltron deck you should have fewer quantity of creatures and more quality creatures. For instance run 8 REALLY good creatures that can be voltron'd or help you voltron vs. 20 creatures that are good in white but not specifically voltron.
Here are a few cards I play in my voltron deck Samurai From The Past! that I think will be of some service too you:
- Spectra Ward: Great card, does a LOT
- Armored Ascension: You only play plains, why not?
- Gift of Immortality: If you are trying to get commander damage across this is a great, otherwise its decent
- Spirit Loop: This may read like lifelink, but it is not lifelink, so you would be able to gain double the life if a creature with lifelink and spirit loop deals damage.
- Remember the Fallen: Solid recursion
- Open the Vaults: Great to bring your stuff back and isn't as expensive as Replenish
- Open the Armory: Great tutor for enchantment or equipment without the pricetag of Enlightened Tutor
- Ajani Steadfast: His +1 is great for Voltron, his -2 is meh, and his ult is great.
- Dispatch: Another path for this deck
- Vedalken Orrery: You always want to be able to play cards at instant speed, as it gives you more control of what happens to the board, specifically your board.
- Scourglass: this deals with problems and keeps all your equipment around to reequip
- Loxodon Warhammer: One of the best non-sword voltron pieces
- Argentum Armor: With the likes of Caged Sun and Extraplanar Lens, you have plenty of mana and you can just go in with a big dude and blow up people's stuff
- Basilisk Collar: Don't underestimate this card, it's so good.
- Magus of the Tabernacle: This is in my Konda Voltron deck (Samurai From The Past! Check it out please!), and it puts a huge strain on go wide strategies and makes players very carefully assess what they want to do in their turn. Either they pay the to keep their 5 creatures or they play a spell, while you are just going to pay the for whatever creature you have Voltron'd
- Leonin Abunas: Great to help deal with people picking apart your assembled voltron creature
- Leonin Shikari: Again instant speed is always a big deal, combat tricks and what not.
3 months ago
Point taken :). I do like the idea of including Gift of Immortality. How well/consistently does the deck ramp mana? What do you think about a Weathered Wayfarer to help tutor out a land like Rogue's Passage?
Torpor Orb seems like a good include since artifacts generally tend to stick around longer than creatures.
4 months ago
Heart of KiranDecent coz u have a bit of planeswalkersPeacewalker ColossusReally decent coz it gets rid of crew basicallyFleetwheel Cruiser pretty decentGearshift AceIts okConqueror's Galleon FlipFlips into a decent card drawFairgrounds WardenGood RemovalMaster TrinketeerCreates tokens to pilotDwarven BlastminerGets rid of those pesky non-basics Dwarven Miner Does the SameJor Kadeen, the PrevailerPumps all ur shitChief of the FoundryGood budget pumpMine LayerGood old land destruction goodness!Metalwork ColossusEasy to get out, reks faceGuardian IdolCan be a creature and taps for manaScourglassGood one sided board wipeThunder TotemCreature and ManaAura of SilenceStops the group from playing dem noice artifactsMishra's FactoryTurns into creature to crew ur freakin vehiclesMask of MemoryGood Card Draw!
6 months ago
So after checking out this list and the "I am Machine" deck, I've kind of started working on my own less budget list Cheating Artifacts that revolves around making Master Transmuter both indestructible and hexproof and cheating out Blightsteel Colossus or Filigree Angel or Platinum Emperion and Platinum Angel.
Unwinding Clock unwinding clock is a great card, but I think that if I'm not playing multiplayer I'll likely tap Master Transmuter at the end of my opponent's turn and then again on my turn. If I were to keep it in I'd likely keep a 1x since its a 4CMC card, you could use that spot for something like Treasure Mage or Scarecrone.
I suggested Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas because his scry power is amazing and he has the chance to be a secondary wincon, but if you prefer the seeker, he's not bad either.
Glad to be able to shoot ideas back and forth!
7 months ago
4xMana Leak, 3x Smother, 3xPorcelain Legionnaire (which is ofen played as a 2-drop), 1x Agony Warp This is 11 cards dedicated to surviving the early game. On top of that there are the Detention Spheres and the Scourglass, which can potentially be dropped on turn 3.