|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Commander's Arsenal (CMA)||Mythic Rare|
|From the Vault: Relics (V10)||Mythic Rare|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||None|
Combos Browse all
Karn, Silver Golem
Legendary Artifact Creature — Golem
Whenever Karn, Silver Golem blocks or becomes blocked, it gets -4/+4 until end of turn.
: Target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (8)||rebelteddybear , MyTotoro , Fairseas , Azdranax , ZombieFood , Riku580 , cklise , Fooo|
|Want (4)||MoJoMiXuP , Turtlelover73 , acbooster , Va1mar|
Karn, Silver Golem Discussion
2 weeks ago
Sculpting Steel, Karn, Silver Golem, Darksteel Forge, Steel Hellkite, Mycosynth Lattice, Hellkite Igniter (or as my friend and I call him "Rocket-powered turbo dragon), and Hellkite Tyrant might help too, I just realized, and Great Furnace as well.
You're not running enough Planeswalkers either. Try Teferi, Temporal Archmage, Saheeli Rai, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, Daretti, Scrap Savant, Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, and Jace, the Mind Sculptor (he's gone down in price tremendously since he was reprinted and allowed back in modern). They're all really great.
3 weeks ago
- Have all the cards above on the field
- activate karn turning hex into a creature
- sac the hex to ironworks floating 2 mana, hex comes back do to renewal
- with the 2 floating mana put a charge counter on the Gemstone Array, remove the counter from array adding a black mana to pool
- cast the hex again triggering the carnival of souls
- use the mana from the carnival of souls to activate karn ability targeting hex
- repeat steps 2-6 with the highest life total to win do to Reckless Fireweaver triggers.
Now use the card Radiate
1 month ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
1 month ago
Tower of the Magistrate seems really...fun. And I can see it potentially having uses when Horobi isn't on the field which is something I try to do.
Candelabra is a wee bit outside my budget as are Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, but Urborg itself might be a good fit if I can find a cheapish one. I have a Thespian's Stage somewhere. I'm not sure where I've put it at the moment, but I like where you're going with it. And at the very least, I can copy someone else's Urborg or Coffers.
Kormus Bell is an amazing card. How have I never seen this before. Obviously it'd work a heck of a lot better with Tomb Urborg, but I still love it. Especially if I have Veilstone Amulet out, else I might regret playing it since I'd have a hard time removing it myself. I used to have Xenic Poltergeist in here and I replaced it with Karn, Silver Golem but I find myself wondering if I should use both. Obviously enchantments are still very difficult unless I also happen to have Liquimetal Coating on the field but I've only managed that once.
Command Beacon I own but it's in another deck. I used to have it in here though and it was really helpful. Perhaps I'll start swapping it back and forth. Because I can assure you Horobi draws a lot of hate. In fact, my deck is in dark grey sleeves but my joke is that Horobi wears a high visibility bright yellow sleeve because he works in a dangerous environment. I think the most I've cast him for was 12 once.
I don't love Living Death because I don't have tons of creatures on the field or in the graveyard generally. I'd be worried my opponents would get a lot more mileage out of it than I would.
Lol, yeah Hex Parasite is really really good here. And, if I would ever remember I can do this, I can actually kill planeswalkers with it. At instant speed. Ah! So good.
My issue with the deck currently is I don't really have a good finisher. I don't have something that just wins the game. Sepulchral Primordial has that potential I guess but it's not really panned out yet. Do you have any suggestions?
1 month ago
Force_of_Willb Thanks for the suggestions! I'm still working on the primer for this deck (And still making tweaks to the mainboard).
Look again, Karn, Silver Golem is definitely in the deck already.
Jhoira's Familiar and The Antiquities War will most likely make it in. I have two full sets of DOM on preorder, so I haven't thoroughly looked into the spoilers to determine what will make the cut for this deck.
I'll have to think about the rest of them and decide what I want to include. I'm not making this deck to be overly competitive or consistent. My playgroup is more casual so I like having a more fun deck that will definitely get silly, but won't oppress all my opponent's every game.
1 month ago
The Antiquities War - Saga complete the story (finisher)
Since you have Mycosynth Lattice, why not Karn, Silver Golem?
2 months ago
I'm not sure what happens in the following situations:
1) I have Karn, Silver Golem, Voltaic Construct, and Tawnos's Coffin on the battlefield. Next, I make the coffin a creature with Karn, use Tawnos's Coffin's ability on some other creature, and while it's resolving I untap the coffin with Voltaic Construct and target another creature with Tawnos's Coffin. I know that after the abilities have been resolved both creatures get exiled, but when Tawnos's Coffin untaps again, will both creatures return to the battlefield, or only the last exiled creature?
2) I use Karn, Silver Golem's ability on an artifact to make it a creature, then exile this artifact creature with Tawnos's Coffin, and thus it ceases to be a creature after it gets exiles by the ability. After the coffin untaps, will the exiled artifact that is no longer a creature return to the battlefield?
2 months ago
However, while playing it I've noticed a combo that I'm not sure how to resolve properly. Say, I have Karn, Silver Golem, Voltaic Construct, and Tawnos's Coffin on the battlefield together with infinite mana. Next, I make the coffin a creature with Karn, use Tawnos's Coffin's ability on a creature and while it's resolving I untap the coffin with Voltaic Construct and target another creature. I know that after the abilities have been resolved both creatures get exiled, but when Tawnos's Coffin untaps again, will both creatures return to the battlefield, or only the last exiled creature?