|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
Surrak Dragonclaw can't be countered.
Creatures you control can't be countered.
Other creatures you control have trample.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||mcstang1986 , Atony1400 , Caldazar , Forkbeard , gildan_bladeborn , Skulldrey , Nemesis , NOGzFTW , thetechzombie , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , GeminiSpartanX , LoneCrusader399 , sonnet666 , Swamy , philktoken8998 , pskinn01|
Surrak Dragonclaw Discussion
14 hours ago
1 week ago
- Hymn of the Wilds (this card sucks in multiplayer. Every deck needs its instants and sorceries)
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast gold cards should fit an archetype or just be good, and this doesnt fit either category
- Ghost Council of Orzhova pretty bad actually
- Figure of Destiny I think your initial impression was right. Lets scrap it
- Magister of Worth white has enough wrath effects
- Tidehollow Strix no comment
- Arlinn Kord Flip I think Xenagos is better based on how the archetypes are shaping up
- Surrak Dragonclaw I think Maelstrom Wanderer fits the archetypes in temur better (spells, gruul beats and whatever simic does)
- Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile discourages attacks, even against other players, which is bad. If we had included Azorius hard control, stax or tax this card would be fine though
- Gustcloak Savior I dont think it does enough
- Herald of the Host Serra Angel isnt good enough for this format
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip pikers arent good enough in this format, and he sucks as a planeswalker I think
- Crescendo of War too slow
- Dusk / Dawn I think that ultimately there wont be a deck that really benefits from this
- Just a general note about white: we have too many pump effects. Lets cut a couple.
- Broodbirth Viper fine if the cube is lower power level, but its quite high now
- Quickling do we have a deck for this card?
- Serendib Efreet this card doesnt match up well against multiple opponents
- Reverse Engineer too narrow
- Should we include a few more morphs so that stratus dancer is less obvious? Maybe Willbender, Thousand Winds and Kheru Spellsnatcher? At least all these cards kick ass in multiplayer.
- Bloodghast only good in one deck, and even then, it requires some setup. I feel Reassembling Skeleton is a better option for the cube.
- Sly Requisitioner too narrow
- Triskaidekaphobia cute but too shitty
- Dark Confidant I realized this card will probably just kill you.
- Phyrexian Metamorph feel kind of stupid for missing this
- Spellskite maybe this sucks, I dunno
- Curse of the Swine
- Kheru Spellsnatcher
- Thousand Winds
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
- Waste Not
- Innocent Blood
- Bloodchief Ascension
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Reassembling Skeleton
I think our next task will be deciding which are the best 50 or so cards in each color from our pool. that should lay the groundwork for deciding which narrow cards (i.e., archetype-specific) cards we should include. Curious to hear your thoughts on cuts/additions!
1 week ago
1 week ago
Wedge/Shard additions based on our discussion yesterday:
- Sphinx of the Steel Wind
- Teneb, the Harvester
- Queen Marchesa
- Narset, Enlightened Master
- Surrak Dragonclaw
- Blade of the Bloodchief
- Mycosynth Wellspring (too narrow I think)
- Ichor Wellspring (same)
- Trading Post (you said you didnt like it. Im fine to cut it.
- Brago, King Eternal
- Swans of Bryn Argoll
- Thistledown Liege
- Fires of Yavimaya
- Blood Baron of Vizkopa
- Treasury Thrull
- Bounty of the Luxa
- Shattergang Brothers
- Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
- Sharuum the Hegemon
- Wall of Omens
- Wall of Essence
- Aerie Mystics
- Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
- Planar Cleansing (maybe Austere Command instead)
- Citadel Siege (doesnt support any particular archetype, not good enough for good stuff)
- Fog Bank
- Guard Gomazoa
- Wall of Frost
- Bastion Inventor (doesnt do enough I dont think, but we can re-evaluate if we take this more in the affinity direction)
- War Tax
- March of the Machines (it doesnt seem like this is what the artefact deck wants to do for now!)
- Courier's Capsule (to me this is just a worse version of Etherium Astrolabe)
- Scepter of Fugue (doesnt really do anything
- Rhonas the Indomitable (Nylea is just better for this archetype I think)
Note: Nothing has been cut yet. Do you agree with them? If not, please let me know which :)
2 weeks ago
I agree with MagicalHacker. I think Surrak Dragonclaw would be a much better commander to kill off Azami. Green and red both have a lof of 'can't be countered' creatures. Consider Great Sable Stag and Mistcutter Hydra, pro blue and it's gonna hit the table. Also gets you Vexing Shusher and Treetop Village.
Don't forget to look at things like Stranglehold and Ugin's Nexus to negate the extra turns. Consider Boseiju, Who Shelters All to force things like Wrath of God or Curse of the Swine to help negate some of his cards. AEther Flash could help kill his creatures. Banefire for direct damage.
I think you have a lot of options if you don't go for a blue vs blue matchup.
2 weeks ago
If I were him, I'd fear Surrak Dragonclaw the most. Get some ramp, and go the beatdown path with creatures with ETBs. Azami can't counter them, and if she bounces them, you get the ETBs again.
Since you know they're playing mono blue, then feel free to play Choke, Boil, Boiling Seas, and more cards like it I found on this cool reference I used when I built a similarly themed deck: All Hate, No Bears (Radha Primer).
Best of luck!
2 weeks ago
I know you like your dragons, but Intet as a commander is TERRIBLE. Here are some better options: Animar, Soul of Elements, Maelstrom Wanderer (not quite as good), and Surrak Dragonclaw. If you must, you could put Intet in your deck itself. Another great card is Urza's Incubator, naming Dragons.
4 weeks ago
Thanks for your opinion Neotrup, I appreciate it. It would seem that I haven't thought of Magus of the Future, but I don't seem to like it that much simply because it cost 3 Blue which is too much to my liking, it's like Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir or Cryptic Command. While for Surrak Dragonclaw, I used to play him, until I had to cut a lot of cards due to some rules that my group decided. I guess I could try running Surrak Dragonclaw again since he does a bit more than Prowling Serpopard. Except for that, would you recommend anything else?