|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Odric, Lunarch Marshal
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
At the beginning of each combat, creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn if a creature you control has first strike. The same is true for flying, deathtouch, double strike, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, skulk, trample, and vigilance.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (36)||Dr.Jackel , Chandelier , Tiddilywinkus , asinausk , Hootiequack , RedSinR , YossarianLives , voidruby , zachi , Rez09 , Auriel , thetechzombie , KB2187 , darthnuchi , ecurps , Espi14 , GoldGhost012 , VGJustice , mcstang1986 , RPG_FOX , NobleSlay3r , , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , SketchyScribbler , Candyman949 , Mousemke , burnedbread , sonnet666 , saj0219 , pskinn01 , brentkc49 , GeminiSpartanX , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Mortiferus_Rosa , MattN7498 , MagnaAura|
Odric, Lunarch Marshal Discussion
8 hours ago
I used to have an Odric, Lunarch Marshal commander deck and it was aggressive and powerful, but i never got the card draw down. I completely forgot about Well of Lost Dreams. I also never quite got the mana ramp down like it looks like you do. Love the list.
1 day ago
Thanks for the feedback bud, I'm going to respond to some of the cards individually to give a more clear explanation for why I put them in there, and then we can maybe chat more about alternatives to some of the suggested cards. I'm planning on removing the Testing cards because I think it is a misnomer. Those are cards that weren't in a lot of other Sigarda decks, not particularly cards that I wanted the most feedback on. But that's my fault for not clarifying.
- Beastmaster Ascension, Cathars' Crusade, Door of Destinies, and True Conviction are what I would consider the primary win condition cards of the deck. They do generate a lot of heat, but that's why there are four of them. Hopefully during a game I would expect to see two of them. To be honest, I much prefer counters over static effects for two reasons: they stick around when the buff is removed, and static effects turn off things like Mentor of the Meek.
- Bow of Nylea is primarily in the deck because people don't like blocking deathtouch creatures. The activated abilities are insignificant in my opinion. If i have extra mana before my next untap phase I will add a +1/+1 counter to Sigarda, or tuck four cards back in my library if Angel of Glory's Rise is dead. I could definitely see the argument for cutting this card, and you mention better stuff, but do you have any recommendations for a mass combat enabler?
- Descendants' Path and Duskwatch Recruiter Flip are a way of seeing more of my deck. Selensya doesn't have a lot of multiple draw cards, and the ones that do are typically creature specific. The only card I would be genuinely sad to tuck is Angel of Glory's Rise, and both of these cards would either cast her, or put her into my hand. Also keep in mind I have 9 cards that make me shuffle my deck, or tucking things to the bottom of my library doesn't mean I won't see them. Also I don't want Duskwatch Recruiter Flip to flip, his activated ability is significantly more impactful than the generic ramp, in my opinion.
- The main difference between Grand Abolisher and Dosan the Falling Leaf is that Grand Abolisher stops people from doing things on my turn, Dosan the Falling Leaf forces people to play instants at sorcery speed, and doesn't stop activated abilities. I think Dosan either fizzles to things that I want to stop (Karlov of the Ghost Council, Spore Frog, and sacrifice effects), and only really messes with spellslinger type decks.
- I like Eerie Interlude when someone has Nevinyrral's Disk type effects out, but until you know someone has a board wipe, or you're going to combo it with your own board wipe, you're basically holding up three mana all the time. I would love suggestions on a permanent that will do this instead.
- I understand Magus of the Disk and Shaman of Forgotten Ways are removal targets, and that they have to survive a full rotation, but keep in mind that besides a board wipe, they both require two removal interactions because Sigarda, Heron's Grace will be out anytime they are. Magus of the Disk is in here to combo with Odric, Lunarch Marshal, though I admit that combo is a little jank. Shaman of Forgotten Ways is in there to shut down some of the lifegain elements or many of the decks I've seen, and because with the exception of a token deck, I expect to have the most number of creatures out. If you were to cut these two cards, what would you replace with them?
- Oblivion Ring is okay. I intentionally picked him over Fiend Hunter or Banisher Priest because enchantments have the least amount of removal, compared to the other nonland permanent types. If I was in Orzhov I would cut this for Anguished Unmaking or some similar effect.
- Thalia's Lancers: Don't forget Bow of Nylea and Tamiyo's Journal are also tutorable. Though most of the time I would be tutoring for one of the Odrics, or Kamahl, Fist of Krosa late game for the win.
- Werebear to me is the perfect mana dork. If I see him early, he provides me with a lot of ramp. If I see him late, he's a 5/5 human for CMC 2. There are a lot of Human mana dorks, but none of them save Shaman of Forgotten Ways does anything else of use.
Sorry that was longer than expected. About your recommendations:
- Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade: To see for Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, you'd have to draw both of those, or one and Thalia's Lancers. The chance of seeing that happen in a game is somewhere in the ballpark of 10% after seeing 20 cards, so not great. I'm not really sure they have enough value on their own to justify that, I'd rather invest two slots in things that help my already big creatures get damage through.
- Sun Titan: Does not fit the tribal restrictions. Also, I don't really want a recursion sub-theme. There are cards to do it, but in my opinion, if you're going to do recursion, you want an engine of sorts, and that is getting too close to Marchesa. Plus recurring creatures doesn't really have a win condition unless it is an engine. They are valuable sure, but that's why Angel of Glory's Rise is the only recursion card in here.
- Oketra's Monument: I've never been a super fan of reducing generic mana costs, but only three of the white creatures won't benefit from this. I really wish the tokens were Humans, but to be honest this is a definitely maybe to include. I'm not sure what I would swap this with though, any opinions?
- Hero of Bladehold: Same slight problem with Oketra's Monument, but from my research, I can't find many good Human token generators. I might swap this with Angelic Overseer.
- Marshal's Anthem: Its CMC 4 to cast, and CMC 2*X to bring back. Unless I have Mirari's Wake out, I'm probably only bringing back 1 or 2 creatures, and the +1/+1 isn't really significant enough in my opinion. I'd rather try and fit in Collective Blessing somewhere.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc
Flip: I think this card is really cool, and I think that I wouldn't cast this unless it was going to flip the same turn. Having Gaea's Cradle for CMC 3 can be really powerful, but I don't really know what ramp I would cut. Maybe Karametra, God of Harvests? The only problem I'm seeing with this is that it is mana not , and the overwhelming majority of stuff I want to do is in white.
I would love more draw, but there isn't a lot of good draw sources in Selesnya that I can find. Have you found any that you would recommend? The main reason I have a low CMC is because all of the things I have to draw with cost mana, Like investigating, Mentor of the Meek, Duskwatch Recruiter Flip, etc. So the hope is to be able to funnel the extra mana into those draw sources. I have not really addressed the lands as of yet, but if from playtesting Reliquary Tower is needed, I'll slot it in, but I think Thought Vessel is a waste unless you are drawing an exponential amount of cast from things like Rhystic Study.
I have some cards that I'm interested in getting your opinion on, and some potential swaps that I'd also like you opinion on. I'll redo the Testing category and the maybeboard, then ask you to reconvene later if that's okay?
2 days ago
I've never seen an edh deck like this I got to admit it is a really interesting idea. To bad it didn't have white so then you could use Odric, Lunarch Marshal but I would definitely recommend Crash Through as well as Mina and Denn, Wildborn
2 days ago
I take it this is a take on an Aristocrats deck. If so, you've really got some things to change. Why do you have Odric, Lunarch Marshal, the two paragons, and Nantuko Husk? Instead of these, you could include more Xathrid Necromancer, Ghoulcaller Gisa, and Butcher of Malakir. You could also include cards like Ashnod's Altar, Anointed Procession, and Secure the Wastes. Cut Captain of the Watch, it's not helpful. Chainer's Edict or Fleshbag Marauder could be useful, as is Anowon, the Ruin Sage. Include 4 Butcher of Malakir and more Xathrid Necromancer. More token makers could also be useful. Gravepurge was a good choice. In your sideboard, you're only allowed to have 15 cards, and the monuments/Oketra are useless, and Champion of Stray Souls is bad. You also should improve your manabase with cards like Concealed Courtyard and Forsaken Sanctuary. If you have money for them, you could get Godless Shrine, Marsh Flats or Fetid Heath. Instead of Tragic Slip, just run something like Anguished Unmaking, Fatal Push, or Doom Blade. Also, you need a boardwipe like End Hostilities, Wrath of God, or Settle the Wreckage(best option). For token makers, use Legion's Landing Flip. Another good sac outlet is Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, if you can flip it. Your sideboard needs a little bit of hate for graveyard shenanigans, so a couple copies of Rest in Peace are in order, as well as more recursion like Ravos, Soultender.
2 weeks ago
Ruyen Thanks for checking it out! Odric, Lunarch Marshal is going to get a place here. I'm not totally sold on the Chain Veil combo, but I'm willing to be convinced--I definitely see the value, but do you have any thoughts on what to take out for it?
2 weeks ago
Have you tried Odric, Lunarch Marshal to help spread your commander's keywords? Also Everflowing Chalice + Tezzeret the Seeker + The Chain Veil for infinite loyalty abilities.
3 weeks ago
Onlytruereject i'll take that Concerted Effort, thank you for that. I had no idea it existed until you said something. Looking back at Odric, Lunarch Marshal I can see the obvious similarities, but also the minor differences between the two still make Concerted Effort a viable choice. Odric's indestructibility (When Zetalpa, Primal Dawn is in play) can easily be out maneuvered during a player's main phases...so I don't feel like i'm really missing out on that ability. Again, great suggestion!
3 weeks ago
bushido_man96 While Food Chain is an awesome card, I just don't see it's usefulness. For that dollar amount it has to be a viable combo piece, but at best it's something of a "goodstuff" card in my opinion. What synergies do you see with Food Chain?
Onlytruereject, sorry for taking awhile to send a response. I'm lazy, and at times I just get preoccupied with other things. I have a spare Paradox Engine, but I don't see how it's worthwhile to include as it doesn't untap lands, and I don't quite have enough Mana rocks to justify it's use. I think i'll mosey on over to your deck page and see how you do things. Odric, Lunarch Marshal is pretty neat, but he's not a dinosaur. I want to keep as many dinos as possible in this deck. I know it's going to be slow, and relatively weak (or casual as some might say) but that's okay with me. I really just want it to work well, and be within theme.