|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a plague counter on Plague Boiler.
(1)(Black)(Green): Put a plague counter on Plague Boiler or remove a plague counter from it.
When Plague Boiler has three or more plague counters on it, sacrifice it. If you do, destroy all nonland permanents.
Plague Boiler Discussion
3 months ago
I see this same thing happening in alot of molly D decks. You use alot of instants and sorcery when you can use a permanent that does nearly the same thing. Boardwipes you should be running Bane of Progress Pernicious Deed Plague Boiler Tranquil Grove Phyrexian Scriptures Oblivion Stone
These adds (especially the mana ramp) will make the deck run smoother and more consistent.
4 months ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.
11 months ago
Hey here are some suggestions on what to add and remove (there's 14 cards in all suggested to include, and 14 below to remove).
(Add) Siren Stormtamer, Spore Frog, Night Incarnate, Stitcher's Supplier, Living Death, Dimir Signet, Tatyova, Benthic Druid, Grisly Salvage, Mind Stone, Reclamation Sage, Farhaven Elf, The Mending of Dominaria, Viscera Seer, and Noxious Gearhulk.
Tracker's Instincts, Nevermaker, Millikin, Hesitation, Slum Reaper, Deranged Assistant, Demonic Vigor, Yavimaya Granger, Plague Boiler, Fertilid, Warped Landscape, Aether Spellbomb, Perpetual Timepiece, and Progenitor Mimic.
11 months ago
Hi! I'm personally a huge fan of Muldrotha as a commander; so first of all, nice choice! Here are some cuts and additions I'd recommend:
- Archetype of Endurance. This card is very powerful to be sure, but Muldrotha already needs a lot of mana to function, and you don't have very many ways to cheat it into play.
- Butcher of Malakir. Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos are more expensive money-wise, but being cheaper on mana and also more resilient makes them much, much better.
- Deranged Assistant. It looks good at first glance, but it's a 2-mana dork, and you're not playing any of the 1-mana dorks anyways. The single-card mill is a very minor upside.
- Millikin. Same as above.
- Nyx Weaver. It can be very good, but it's just too slow. There are much better ways to mill yourself, and a 6-mana Regrowth is way too much mana.
- Progenitor Mimic. A powerful card to be sure, but this isn't the deck for it.
- Slum Reaper. I think this card is only really worth running in decks that badly need the 3rd Fleshbag Marauder. Shriekmaw is almost always going to be better.
- Aether Spellbomb. Looping it can be fun, but bouncing a creature is a terrible waste, and there are better ways to draw cards with artifacts.
- Perpetual Timepiece. This card was good on Game Knights when they were only using Standard cards, but we have better options.
- Plague Boiler. This card is also cool, but once again, we have better choices.
- Demonic Vigor. Fun with Muldrotha, but there is usually so much exile-based removal in Commander that this card isn't as good as you think.
- Hesitation. Sweet include, but looks a little too cute. Very easy to play around, and also counters your spells.
- Skeletal Grimace. Same as Demonic Vigor.
- Thrull Retainer. Same.
- Grave Pact / Dictate of Erebos
- Living Death
- Dimir Signet
- Siren Stormtamer
- Farhaven Elf
- Wood Elves
- Evolutionary Leap
- Altar of Dementia
- Ashnod's Altar
- Pelakka Wurm
- Kiora, the Crashing Wave
- Viscera Seer
- Carrion Feeder
- Glen Elendra Archmage (pricey, but very powerful)
- Nihil Spellbomb (secretly fantastic here)
- Sultai Charm
- Phyrexian Arena
Hope this helps! Feel free to leave a comment on my profile if you'd like further suggestions for this or any other deck! Good luck!
1 year ago
Hi ZendikariWol, those were a lot of interesting suggestions! Il do my best to give feedback on all of them (this post might get long so sorry in advance xD)
Baloth Null, Greenwarden of Murasa and Noxious Gearhulk are difficult inclusions given the amount of great 6 CMC cards there are. Off the top of my head I can think of Grave Titan and Kokusho, the Evening Star and those didnt make the cut.
Veteran Explorer is definitely worth testing but I think it might be dangerous to provide so much mana for your opponents (this is a somewhat stax build)
Killing Wave seems like it would most of the time be an overly expensive board clear. Wouldnt Torment of Hailfire be better? If possible I would like you to elaborate a little more on your reasoning for this one.
Primal Druid will be tested. Seems pretty solid.
Catacomb Sifter is likelly a future inclusion and its just a metter of figguring out what is going t be replaced.
Savra, Queen of the Golgari - how often is she triggering in your games? Ive been thinking of adding her but Im not sure she would do enough
Lifecrafter's Bestiary is a clear oversight on my part. Ill be adding it soon
Vampiric Rites is a fine inclusion and I wouldnt blame anyone for running it. Like I mentioned above, the sacrifice cost not being zero makes other cards better in my opinion.
Gutter Grime is too slow and easy to stop given that all the tokens die with the enchantment
1 year ago
Like most of your comments, this is about to be a long one.
I run a meren deck myself, equally beatiful as a mix of casual and competitive. Check it out here: Okay, the Whole Death Thing? Minor Setback..
So, here is a list of cards to consider:
Sac Targets: Baloth Null, Eternal Witness, Greenwarden of Murasa and Sepulchral Primordial are all good semi-reanimators. Sacrificing one creature per turn is awful. These guys will keep the late game engine flowing. Yes, their mana cost is a touch hefty but you may not even use the Primordial and the other three are honestly fine if you throw in some ramp. Speaking of, Primal Druid and Viridian Emissary are good, but Veteran Explorer is truly spectacular. Lots of ramp, and you may just get the table on your side. Noxious Gearhulk and Vindictive Lich are both so scary. People don't want to attack into Vindictive Lich and they don't want it dying, so they all leave you basically alone. That's been my experience, anyway.
Now for the outlets. You NEED you a Killing Wave. It may not be recurrable (recursible?), but dear GOD it messes up everyone's day! Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord can be really good, especially with the aforementioned Vindictive Lich. Perilous Forays is just some of the best ramp ever. Plague Boiler is a fun political piece, if you can hold it up. Quagmire Druid is very useful. Stronghold Assassin is great removal, but maybe to spiky for you. Thoughtpicker Witch can PICK apart combo, pun intended. It sounds far fetched, but honestly Vampiric Rites can do a lot of work!
Passive effects that you may wanna get your hands on include Catacomb Sifter, Reaper of the Wilds, and Shadows of the Past, Golgari Germination and Sifter of Skulls, better yet Gutter Grime, Lifecrafter's Bestiary is piles and piles of card advantage. Zulaport Cutthroat is not as bad as it may seem, doing some nice noncombat damage. However you may want to spread out your sacrifices with these effects on board, big turns always attract attention. Also possibly too mean/spiky for you are Butcher of Malakir, Savra, Queen of the Golgari, and Dictate of Erebos. I would make a case for Savra, Queen of the Golgari, however, as the sacrifice effect is optional and it could gain you some nice life.
1 year ago
I have a definite contempt for stax in commander. Leave the spiky trash for legacy.
Targets include Dawntreader Elk, Entomber Exarch, Mesmeric Fiend can be sac'd in response to the etb which resolves in this order: first you sac it, then it leaves the battlefield, then it enters. Essentially exile a card in an opponent's hand. Primal Druid, Reclamation Sage, Thragtusk, and Veteran Explorer.
1 year ago
"weaknesses - card advantage, oblivion stone-like effects"
I haven't played Savra in a while, however Oblivion Stone and stuff like it were excellent for my deck.
Since you're not terribly artifact/enchantment heavy and you use land ramp, you should be able to sack creatures for whatever value you can get and then blowup the board as necessary. Personally the only times I was ever winning was when the board was fairly clean and my only edge was the attrition game with a piece of recursion. My less than ideal board state was usually better than their nonexistent one.
That said Oblivion Stone and Gaze of Granite were always good to have on hand, and Plague Boiler looks like could be fun.
Tranquility was another favorite of mine, however I see there's Back to Nature and even Primeval Light which both look much better.
Plague Boiler occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%