|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Conspiracy (CNS)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Question about Control and losing the game.
- With Marchesa, the Black Rose work with creature tokens?
- If a player board wipes while Marchesa is in play, can you still return creatures to the battlefield?
- Marchesa, the Black Rose and Undying
- How does Living Death work with Zombie Mikaeus and Marchesa?
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
Dethrone *(Whenever this creature attacks the player with the most life or tied for most life, put a +1/+1 counter on it.) *
Other creatures you control have dethrone.
Whenever a creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it dies, return that card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||CAPTAINxCOOKIES , GoldGhost012 , metlguy , cklise , KingOfGrixis , a_murpheus , Forkbeard , , the.beanpole , Vasbear1 , duff87 , TThors , mziter501 , itheoryz , Kleptozaniac , ShishkyBob , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , brokendwarf|
|Want (13)||pphhaazzee , oryandaw , Ariumlegion , Gypsyhatten , Cartridge , Talonisnthavingit , dmage105 , Loading_Error , CK500 , kovellen , blaze333 , Mudman , kungfurabbi|
Marchesa, the Black Rose Discussion
3 weeks ago
I started to play magic around 6 months ago, edh has been my format for like 4 months now, i used to play Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge before i learned that if she leaves the battlefield, i lose what i exiled. After this i started to use Marchesa, the Black Rose and i consider her to be my first Commander, i really love her, she's amazing. The Blade of the Bloodchief works lovely, so i will keep it. Dack's Duplicate is one of my best shapeshifters, and they sinergize well with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed cus i can copy him, sac for legendary ruling, return by undying copying another thing but they keep the counter. Duskmantle Seer* i use more to control my own life and carddraw, since it only happens on my upkeep i know i'm the first one to take out value of it, also it flies. I usually dislike tutors cus on my mind, if i'm going to play 100 different cards i don't want to just always go infinity, i'm build this to be powerful, cus the competitive aspect makes it more fun, but i don't want to archenemy my friends every single game. After i have this deck done, i'm going to build a competitive version of this, in a scale from The Command Zone,1 to 10, i want this to be a 6 to 8
3 weeks ago
Marchesa, the Black Rose is another solid card to consider--temporary custody is nice, but she's a great way to ensure you have sole custody of your opponents' critters.
4 weeks ago
I used Tenza, Godo's Maul in here for a long time when I first built the deck, and it's a lovely card! I don't really need it anymore because I've got enough swords, but it's a fantastic card for a budget build of a deck like this!
I abhor mass land destruction cards like Armageddon and Cataclysm, at least in decks that don't instantly win when you cast them. For instance, my Marchesa, the Black Rose deck runs Obliterate, Jokulhaups, and Bearer of the Heavens to great success because I'll be the only one left with any permanents, and they're all creatures! In every other deck though, MLD cards are just "win more" cards, and by that I mean that they are only good in a winning position. Blowing up everyone's lands won't help if I don't have a winning board state, so I tend to avoid running them and run cards that turn games around in my favor. Also, things like Cataclysm and Tragic Arrogance tend to be VERY bad for this deck because it's so artifact heavy
4 weeks ago
I’ve even gone as far as carrying a binder of singles around for sale or trade, but it’s a lost cause I think. You can’t teach everyone.
I’m considering group hug...because that’s fun
1 month ago
Just my thoughts on your suggestions.
1) Price of Progress is definitely a great card for this style of deck, but I much rather prefer permanent effects that ping opponents. It seems like a fantastic finisher later in the game however seems like a very dead card early.
2) I had Iroas, God of Victory in my list earlier and I think its great for Markov. It just happened to be one of the cuts I made earlier when building/testing this deck. Dolmen Gate is another lower CMC card that I've also tested and have found to be useful.
3) Honestly due to how low of a curve this deck functions on you really don't need much ramp/fast mana. Of the Moxen you suggested, the only one I would consider running is Mox Diamond, since it can really help with color fixing. Chrome Mox, makes you lose too much tempo by pitching a card that would be far more useful in play than as fodder for ramp (I tested this in earlier iterations of this deck). As for Mox Amber, I really am not a fan of the card; it ends up being way too inconsistent as it relies on you having a legendary permanent out to do anything.
4) Wheel of Fortune is definitely not in my list due to cost reasons. Amazing for this list though.
5) I have tested Yawgmoth's Will in this deck in the past. Good card for the list for sure, I just chose to use it in another deck and since this is one of my more casual decks I didn't feel bad removing it from this deck.
6) You hit the nail on the head about Aether Vial. I'm using 1-drops to get eminence triggers out early to swarm opponents. Aether Vial really goes against what I'm trying to accomplish since it bypasses the eminence triggers.
7) Falkenrath Aristocrat is a great aggro card, you curve very nicely into it on turn 3/4, it is evasive, has haste and can protect itself; this card is exactly what I'm looking for in this deck for later turns. Vona, Butcher of Magan is a vampire that functions as repeatable removal (my meta calls for a lot of removal) and as a larger body for later turns; I really don't want to be playing 1-drops on turn 5+ and would rather be playing larger threats which is why it's important to curve into these larger vampires. Vampire Nighthawk is def a pet card of mine, but that's not really the reason I run it. It has so many useful keywords on it that make it an extremely valuable threat. I have had all three (Mirror Entity, Adaptive Automaton and Taurean Mauler) in my list before and I think they are all fine cards to run, I've just replaced them with cards that are lower on the curve as I found I had too many cards in the 3CMC slot.
8) Had Lightning Greaves in the list earlier, the mass haste is far more valuable in this deck as it lets you get more damage out earlier. While the protection you get from greaves is nice, I've found running mass protection/recursion spells to be far more useful in this deck since you're almost always trying to protect your board rather than individual creatures. I had Olivia, Mobilized for War in my list also at one point and even though it's a great haste enabler, more often than not I found myself not wanting to discard cards to its effect or not even having cards to discard for its effect.
9) I think Elenda, the Dusk Rose is better suited to an aristocrats style deck as it is more reliable if you have more sacrifice outlets (which my deck doesn't really run much of). I think it's a fantastic card to provide resilience against board wipes assuming you have the pieces to get that big payoff of tokens. I feel the same way about Bloodtracker; I think it's a fantastic card but like Elenda I think it requires too much setup in my list for the payoff I'm expecting it to provide. I've been running Bloodtracker in my Marchesa, the Black Rose deck and have been loving it, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it has far more synergy with the game plan of that deck than my Edgar Markov deck. As for Bloodcrazed Paladin, I'm not a fan of it after trying it out when Ixalan came out. It's a very reactive card, so you tend to hold onto it and unlike Elenda, its payoff is consolidated into one threat (itself) rather than a board of tokens.
1 month ago
mtgftw2014, thanks for the compliment and suggestions! Marchesa, the Black Rose is probably one of my favorite Grixis commanders. Her ability is super unique, and her colors make her a perfect commander for innumerable underhanded tactics.
While I do think that Graft is a neat mechanic, there aren't many cards to choose from that would really benefit the deck. There are four that I can think of that are blue, and they'd either let me untap a creature (Vigean Graftmage), draw a card (Novijen Sages), give someone flying (Helium Squirter), or steal a creature (Cytoplast Manipulator). To be honest, I've been on the fence about Cytoplast Manipulator for some time now. Seems to me like that is the only Graft card that would benefit the deck, as well as fit the theme. I think I may have to find a slot for that one. I can see how Graft could be conditionally useful in some specific boardwipe situations, but I don't see myself running into those situations often. Getting the +1/+1 counters back on my dudes post-resurrection isn't too much of an issue, especially if I have something to ensure the Dethrone trigger like Unspeakable Symbol, Treasonous Ogre, Phyrexian Reclamation, or Greed.
I'm also afraid that Graft doesn't work quite as you'd hoped though. Marchesa, the Black Rose's ability looks for the +1/+1 counter on the creature as it dies. If we remove that last counter, the creature will become a 0/0 and it'll die without returning.
As for Coffin Queen/Hell's Caretaker, I think I'll have to find a place for Coffin Queen in the deck. I prefer the Coffin Queen since she doesn't discriminate between my graveyard and my opponents'. Hell's Caretaker is a little too restrictive with the requirements as well. I'd need only to either flicker or resurrect (via Marchesa, the Black Rose's ability) the stolen creature in order to keep it and use the Coffin Queen's ability again. I like that.
Thanks again for the suggestions! Looks like I have some updates to make!
2 months ago
My EDH cube has a +1/+1 counters theme running through it. Below are a list of the legends I use in it to push the cube in different directions.
It’s obviously supported with on-theme filler and not all the colors are represented here. White and green are probably the best places to get counters, and are slightly underrepresented in this list, but Voltron obviously fits into the +1/+1 counter theme well. Anyway, do what you will with this, and let me know if you have any questions.
2 months ago
Some commander options:
Vorel of the Hull Clade- doubles up on anything there, builds most things pretty fast, especially if you start untapping.
Ghave, Guru of Spores, Ezuri, Claw of Progress- easily go infinite with one or two other cards. Also experience counters stick to the player not the creature so you just have to recast Ezuri and he will be right where you left off at.
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave- usually slow to build up but keeps counters forever.
Marchesa, the Black Rose- doesn't usually stack a bunch of counters but still uses them to usually be something akin to aristocrats. So probably not what you are looking to do but here she is anyways :P
Marath, Will of the Wild- just gets bigger and bigger and bigger. Also very mana hungry...