|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Twenty||Mythic Rare|
|Deckmasters: Garfield vs. Finkel||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Druid
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Fyndhorn Elves Discussion
5 days ago
Hello sir! I would like to offer you some comments on your deck. I've been a long fan of Golgari and Meren is an exquisite commander!
First and foremost, I think the addition of mana dorks (Llanowar Elves, Birds of Paradise, Elves of Deep Shadow, Fyndhorn Elves, Elvish Mystic) will greatly help the consistency and most importantly speed of this deck. Every Meren player wants to have Meren out with creatures around her so she can watch them die. Let's do that by getting him out before turn 4 more consistently AND having an expendable creature next to her when she arrives.
I think the second most important thing for a Meren deck to have would be a good way to tutor for creatures to put into your graveyard. You've got excellent choices with Entomb and Buried Alive (I'm on the fence about Jarad's Orders), but have you considered Hermit Druid? You can tutor for it (if you have to) and it does a marvelous job of filling your graveyard with all kinds of goodness.
I'm concerned that 33 creatures is actually a bit low for this type of deck. I think that you might consider trading honest, good cards like Krosan Grip in for Reclamation Sage. Let's be honest, you don't really need Split Second, and if your opponent is interested in countering your Reclamation Sage, then sure, let them waste a spell on a card you'll get right back, and perhaps directly to the battlefield.
One creature that I was somewhat impressed with was Smothering Abomination. It has incredible synergy with Meren in that the normal act of gaining experience will now net you cards. In addition, it is a once-per-turn sac outlet that guarantees steady progression of your experience counters. I ended up swapping him in and cutting Mindslicer. They're nearly the same card, but Mindslicer actually worked to my detriment in some games. Turns out not everyone dislikes discarding their hand :(
I feel that Scavenging Ooze has low synergy in this deck. If you actually want to exile the creatures from your graveyard, I think this is a misstep. Each thing you put in your graveyard is a resource, and you dont want to remove those for a paltry counter and life point. He is amazing in a 20 point game, but less significant in a 40 point game. Handling your opponents graveyard is not a bad plan, but his slot should really be Sakura-Tribe Elder...why is that not in this deck?
I would trade things like Sylvan Scrying for Primal Surge. It can net you experience while drawing out two lands. This is unless of course there is some land that justifies the need for a purely land tutoring spell. This could be Vampiric Tutor and be more flexible, perhaps.
I, myself, toyed with Hell's Caretaker but I finally succame to the notion that it was too slow of a card due to the need to tap it. I felt like Phyrexian Delver was a more immediate solution to the same problem. You can indeed pull more creatures out of the graveyard with Hell's Caretaker but Phyrexian Delver is just faster and ultimately that's what won me games with Meren.
I really like where your head is at with this list. I feel like the presence of Craterhoof Behemoth begs that you give this deck a more aggressive stance with mana dorks to accelerate your game to the fun! +1
6 days ago
If you are looking to produce black mana instead, you could go with Elves of Deep Shadow
1 week ago
If it's just casual and you're teaching him how to play, I'd suggest starting out with a really basic G/x deck. There's a lot of really low-cost cards that are powerful, but not really good in Legacy, available. Playing something with good mana ramp, strong removal, and value creatures will go far.
I'd suggest something like:
2 weeks ago
Sure, no problem!
Signed foil FNM promo Bloodbraid Elf: $20ish
Foil Fyndhorn Elves: $5
Foil Hymn to Tourach: $5
Foil Russian Loxodon Warhammer: $15ish
Foil FNM promo Lightning Greaves: $18
Foil Sensei's Divining Top: $50
2 weeks ago
Lilbrudder - Had a couple of questions for you.
1) What is your reason for including Shizo, Death's Storehouse in your builid? Are you looking for a "basic" land without it being basic? Any reason you went with Shizo than any of the others? In playtesting I've realized that Sunken Hollow is a completely worthless land to me because I play no basics. Might as well be a guildgate. I was curious as I'm looking for something to replace it. Also has Gemstone Caverns played well? Is it worth playing when your opening hand becomes reduced to 5 because you need to exile a card? I see that you play Darkslick Shores in at least one of your builds. Has the card ever backfired? Is it worth playing most of the time?
2) Deadeye Navigator and Peregrine Drake have become an annoying combo in this particular build of the deck. I never even try to assemble it, let alone drawing it is worthless (so far anyways). I noticed you still play it (with Palinchron) and was wondering why you decided to keep it in your build. Do you even try to assemble it at all? If so what is the reason? I was looking to possibly find some cards to replace those as well. Maybe more creature ramp (in the form of Fyndhorn Elves, Boreal Druid, or Joraga Treespeaker).
3) Possibly adding Mirror-Mad Phantasm back in with Necrotic Ooze, however if Mirror-Mad Phantasm is in the graveyard, and I'm possibly hard casting Necrotic Ooze shouldn't I have the mana to possibly playout my original combos? How often do you use that combo? Do you even try to purposefully assemble it?
4) Bloom Tender has been quite annoying. Rarely do I get to use it beyond adding to my mana pool. Being that it's been somewhat underwhelming it would probably be better to add a one CMC creature to add mana to the mana pool. Any particular reason you decided to keep it?
5) I was debating adding in Concordant Crossroads. Firstly to attack with all of my creatures if the occasion arose for Yawgmoth's Will and Living Death, and secondly to play it turn one or two and have all of my mana ramp creatures to tap and play more things early on. You think that is something worthwhile? I question it because if all of my creatures are return I should have some kind of infinite combo.
6) How has Mana Vault, Chrome Mox, and Lotus Petal played for you? Worthwhile to play even if you need to discard land? Sacrifice it for a one time use? Or mainly just a one time use because you have to pay mana to untap it?
3 weeks ago
Fyndhorn Elves last printing in a block was Iceage. It is not Modern legal.
3 weeks ago
looks like a cool deck.
maybe mountain > looming spires, City of Brass over caldera lake.
running Conduit of Ruin into Kozilek, the Great Distortion could be fun.
also mana dorks are twice as good in this deck - because not only do they produce mana, but they also put +1/+1 counters on Animar. Llanowar Elves | Fyndhorn Elves | Elvish Mystic | Birds of Paradise.
also Wild Pair looks like a fun enchantment