Creature — Elephant
When Terastodon enters the battlefield, you may destroy up to three target noncreature permanents. For each permanent put into a graveyard this way, its controller puts a 3/3 green Elephant creature token onto the battlefield.
|Have (2)||Mortiferus_Rosa , pskinn01|
|Want (5)||gedeonQC , Chuggiexxx , MTGJ51 , illsv , blakejohn|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Premium Deck Series: Graveborn (GRV)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Terastodon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.07%
RG (Gruul): 0.96%
1 week ago
Nice meren deck. This is mine that I have been using since meren has came out as a card. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/graveyard-queen-meren-of-clan-nel-toth/ If you have any questions on why I use or dont use a card let me know, I am always happy to help other meren players out.
Having a Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip and Reanimate is nice for backup reanimation cards. Meren does typically get targeted so you want your 99 to be really tight and well. Then Meren is just the nice gravy engine that takes the deck from 100% to 1000%. So having similar effects of Meren is nice.
Sac outlets are very important for meren cause you want your exp counters to be as high as possible. It also synergizes well with merens ability. Phyrexian Altar and Ashnod's Altar are nice ones to use cause they can generate mana. Carrion Feeder is a good one drop sac outlet that can sac itself. Protip: you mainly want creatures that can sac themselves and others vs just others. The exception to the rule is creatures with really strong abilities like Razaketh, the Foulblooded. Diabolic Intent is very nice because it is a tutor and a sac ability combined together.
Because meren ability revolves around bringing the dead back to life, you want creatures that can either kill themselves, have strong etb triggers, or like to die so you abuse meren ability and get a lot of value. Plaguecrafter, Fleshbag Marauder, and Merciless Executioner are some creatures that a really solid etb trigger. I recommend at least running Plaguecrafter. Terastodon has a very nice etb trigger, it also synergizes well with natural order. Getting a turn 3 or turn 4 terastodon and targeting 3 lands is a nice way to get somebody to scoop. Mindslicer is a wonderful creature in meren decks, you sac it get an exp counter, make everybody top deck, and you fill up your graveyard. Everybody is suffering except you.
You are playing black and green so you have access to some really strong tutors. Pattern of Rebirth is a really good one because it just grabs any creature. Woodland Bellower is nice because it puts the tutor creature onto the battlefield, Fierce Empath is a nice tutor to grab any of your big creatures. Whats nice is both these cards synergize with each other so you can cast woodland bellower, tutor fierce empath and then grab another big creature Or do the inverse and you can do fierce empath to grab woodland so then woodland can get you a useful small creature. What is also nice is both of these are creature cards so you can abuse them with meren ability and keep tutoring cards each turn.
Some straight upgrades. Instead of Wall of Roots use Devoted Druid. Same mana cost but you can use devoted druid ability more then once per turn, plus when it dies you get an exp counter. Instead of Nyx Weaver use Altar of Dementia, same mana cost but easier to cast cause colorless, its a sac outlet so it synergizes with the deck better. It also has a higher roof which means you can mill yourself much more then 2 per turn. Also its ability if flexible and you have the option to mill other people but that isnt as strong as just milling yourself. Instead of Glowspore Shaman try Entomb or Buried Alive, it allows you to search your deck and pick what card you want to put in your graveyard. What is also nice is entomb is at instant speed.
I hope this helps a lot.
1 month ago
Maybe cut avenger because you're only running new cradle and any other way to abuse tokens? I know you mentioned in the group chat you want to win through overrun, but with a non-token, timmy, based commander, you should just win through beating face.
Why is Arcane lighthosue in the deck, what do you need to target of your opponents?
Cut Rhonas's Monument for another land, Yavimaya Hollow , a forest, or any other good utility land such as Miren, the Moaning Well . Maybe Deserted Temple to untap new cradle and nykthos? You had land issues (although I havent played against you enough to know) and monument isn't impactful enough.
Cut steel helkite for Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , other ulamog, or World Breaker . Both are cast triggers (as you so how crucial that was against blue), worldbreaker is recurable and colorless (for those rare, relevant moments). I understand helkite's appeal but I feel having to connect and pay mana on top of having to wait a turn assuming no haste, assuming you even have enough mana afterwards.
While this is a harder cut, it depends on the meta I suppose, cut Spearbreaker Behemoth for Boundless Realms / Traverse the Outlands . Behemoth is nice, but exile, sac and bounce effects are all prevalent in the meta.
Cut Omnath, Locus of Mana for Greenwarden of Murasa ? Not sure of what to add for this cut or the following cuts.... Recursion is nice, gives you a benefit to it's death as well (synergy with miren moaning well). Other good options of recursion include Creeping Renaissance , Seasons Past or even Preator's Counsel. Omnath does nothing at all except be a mana sink. Recursion is nice to rebuild after a wipe
Cut Apex Altisaur for Terastodon - All that mana to kill 1-2 creatures? Eh. Granted Terastodon isn't much different. Like I said, these last few cuts are flexible. But I've always had a soft spot for him.
Maybe a Dryad Arbor to synergize with G-Sun?
1 month ago
This is not bad at all. I have a couple of suggestions off the top of my mind though...
First off, I highly recommend using custom tags to sort your cards. To do this, go into the "edit" mode where you can see your card list. It will look something like:
You can then add tags by using #Category after a card. For example:
1xArbor Elf #Ramp
This will assign Arbor Elf to the "Ramp" category. Unsorted cards are assigned to "Other" by default.
I recommend these categories;
- Ramp (Aim for 12-16 of these. A card that costs more than 4 mana is too slow to be reliably called Ramp)
- Draw (At least 12)
- Removal (Around 8, make sure you can deal with other commanders/creatures!!!)
- Sweepers (Boardwipes, Green doesn't really have many it's okay)
- Support (Stuff that isn't obviously powerful but makes certain cards in the deck busted. Examples are your equipment)
- Lands (Obviously. Aim for 34-37. This deck wants 34-36)
The remaining cards can be categorized based on the specific inner-workings of your deck. For example, this deck might have a "Big Bois" category for creatures that are just huge.
Depending on your sorting preferences, it can by okay to tag one creature with multiple tags. For example;
1x Thorn Mammoth #Removal #Big_Boi
Onto my Card Suggestions:
- Soul of the Harvest is nice for card draw and comes with a big smashy body + Trample.
- Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic are fantastic replacements for Leaf Gilder and Druid of the Cowl , assuming you want to go for efficiency.
- Beast Within and Acidic Slime are super helpful for dealing with nonsense of all kinds.
- If you are willing to pay $1.50 a pop for them, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are good additions and could replace Explosive Vegetation and Circuitous Route in a pinch. -Other really nice Ramp includes Rampant Growth , Wild Growth , Fertile Ground and Utopia Sprawl . Ramp is life. - Fierce Empath is cheap and very effective at finding your creature answers. I run it in any deck that likes to use specifically powerful creatures, AKA green ones, lol.
- These ones are a tiny bit janky and unreliable, but Ezuri's Predation , Whirlwind and Monstrous Onslaught are green boardwipes.
- Swiftfoot Boots . Assuming you really like haste and hexproof on a 12/12 trampler, it is worth having another copy of Lightning Greaves by a different name. Also, this card is hilarious: Fleetfeather Sandals
- Apex Altisaur can cause some havoc. Often, getting rid of your opponents' engine pieces is the difference between life and death.
- Surrak, the Hunt Caller is an overlooked Green Haste Boi who could do work in this deck.
- Silklash Spider just because I'm very used to going toe-to-toe with flying decks. Granted, that's just my meta, but Silklash still does work as a defender in the case of no fliers. Heck, you're still happy even if you don't see any fliers - you want a ground game in the first place!
- Yeva, Nature's Herald is CRAZY. She effectively also gives Ghalta haste, which is all kinds of sweet.
- Rogue's Passage . It doesn't even take up a nonland slot!!! Free VALUE!!!!
- Zendikar Resurgent because cards + mana = happiness
Onto the cards I would suggest cutting:
- Elixir of Immortality . Your deck doesn't ever want to be in a game where this utility would be useful. This card simply doesn't do much. You already have Eternal Witness and if you really want a late-game reload, try Creeping Renaissance or Seasons Past .
- Gigantosaurus is alright, but I'm not in love with a 10/10 with no abilities. I know, I know, he makes Ghalta cost only 2, but I still think there are better options. Trust me when I say a creature with some sort of utility is preferable here. Ideas include the aforementioned Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage or a fight creature such as Thorn Mammoth or even another removal creature like Woodfall Primus or Terastodon (sorry, I know these are all really high CMC). Generally, cards that don't have some sort of utility are just not going to save your life when things get ugly.
- New Horizons and Gift of Paradise could be replaced with faster ramp. For the sake of having creatures (for cards like Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer , not to mention Ghalta, Primal Hunger ), it would even be better to run Wood Elves , Springbloom Druid , Yavimaya Dryad , or Farhaven Elf .
- Diamond Mare just isn't relevant. Sorry, but if you are in a position where gaining a small amount of life matters, odds are any other good green card would have done more to prevent you from being in such a bad spot. Your deck wants to be the aggressor, and quite honestly your offense will be so scary that most opponents wouldn't even consider attack out of fear of provoking you and simultaneously tapping their defenders. It isn't uncommon for a Green deck to retain the highest life total for a long time without the need for lifegain.
- I think you have a few too many artifacts. Remember that your commander LOVES having creatures on the field, so finding ways to turn your artifact utility into creature utility will go far.
- Staff of Nin is very slow and could be something like Garruk's Packleader instead.
All things considered, you've got a reasonably strong lineup. In a broad sense, I would recommend finding ways to include creatures with utility, since Ghalta appreciates bodies on the board and interaction allows you to curb your opponents' shenanigans as much as possible. Additionally and as I noted, there are fairly budget-friendly ramp options for the deck that are purely faster. Remember to keep a close eye on your Ramp and Draw, as these are the lifeblood of a commander deck, midrange especially.
It is worth mentioning that I never go below 34 lands. 35, and 36 are usually safe, so if you find yourself land-starved just add like 2 Forests and that should help.
Overall, you've done a good job though. Good luck making edits and please feel free to contact me about further changes/advice. I LOVE deckbuilding and Green is one of my colors ;)
1 month ago
Hey man , First off I'd ditch three basic lands for the following:
Sarkhan Unbroken - Great for card draw + mana-fixing and pumping out Dragon Tokens.
Dragonlord Atarka - because he is a total Boss, great for blowing up Walker's and acts as an extra Wincon.
Cyclonic Rift Get a good board state happening and Cyclonic wins games.
You will probably need some more Enchantment/Artifact hate too so you don't get shut down by Stax effects:
Surrak be all about the Creatures winning you the game..I'd add around there more mana dorks cause you gotta ramp for the big guys to hit the table early, drop six Instants and Sorceries. Talking about dudes like Elvish Mystic , Somberwald Sage , Birds of Paradise .
Hope that helped, look forward to playing against the deck bro :D
1 month ago
Ok so you need to cut 6 cards. Offhand as suggestions are:
- Collector Ouphe - with the additions of both Quicksilver Amulet and Vivien's Arkbow , the ouphe becomes more of a detriment to your gameplan.
- Questing Beast - this suggestion is entirely dependent on your meta, As Profet93 suggested on my decklist. If planeswalkers aren't running rampant and turbo fog isn't a thing, you can probably drop this.
- Terastodon - it's an ok card, but it can't kill creatures. So you're trading their utility and giving them more defense allocate an 8 cmc.
- Walking Ballista - this is a fantastic card, but kamahl is already a mana dump and helps the go wide and tall theme of the deck. Ballista is a very mana intensive damage source and is only good in this deck if you have an infinite mana combo. You cant grab it with any of the tutors in the deck because it's not a green creature and it would enter the battlefield with 0 counters anyways, and it doesn't positively affect your devotion which is an important part of the deck. It works counterintuitive to kamahl and at least in my opinion doesn't gel well.
- You can probably drop your land count down to 34, the deck ramps well and since you have Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip, you will eventually net a huge mana producing land in your mid to end game.
Without knowing your meta and how you personally run the deck. I cant make any other suggestions. A lot of the card choices I've made for my build are based on meta or how I want the deck to flow when I play. Hope this helps though!
1 month ago
Aye this is a solid meren deck. here is mine to help ya with some ideas https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/graveyard-queen-meren-of-clan-nel-toth/
So I've been playing meren for almost 5 years now so I got some fun ideas to help ya out. So first i recommend some more sac outlets. Building your exp counters can be very useful and a lot of sac outlets can get you a lot of nice stuff. Viscera Seer and Carrion Feeder are solid 1 drop sac outlets. Evolutionary Leap is a decent 2 drop sac outlet that lets you draw cards. Sadistic Hypnotist is expensive mana wise but is a nice way to hurt your opponents.
some of the best creatures for meren are creatures that want to die. Mindslicer is an amazing one because it puts everybody back except for you. you dont care if your hand gets discarded because you can use them still. Plaguecrafter , Fleshbag Marauder , and Merciless Executioner is really good trio. I like to use only 2 of them. Sidisi, Undead Vizier is a really good one as well because its a reusable tutor. You make it kill itself and just keep bringing it back to just get the best cards in your deck to help ya win.
Solid etb triggers are also really useful. Terastodon is one of my favorite etb because if you fine tune the deck you can bring a terastodon around turn 3 to turn 5 and just make a person concede. its a very brutal etb trigger. Fierce Empath and Woodland Bellower are also really nice because they can tutor for each other or tutor for some of your best creatures.
If ya got any questions about certain suggestions or about why I use certain cards or why I dont use certain cards feel free to ask. I am always down to help fellow meren decks out.