|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Rare|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning (DDN)||Rare|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Venser vs. Koth (DDI)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Sphinx of Uthuun
Creature — Sphinx
When Sphinx of Uthuun enters the battlefield, reveal the top five cards of your library. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (59)||VGJustice , ironax , Fleshxandxbone , techneil , Ashy , Fineontheoutside , mziter501 , , Halphinian , jstn.mrrtt , LegendDeer , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , bakeraj4 , Pumpkinking913 , bradyofportdetroit , NOGzFTW , Lindough , Antiat , Kravian , Nemesis , Famicomania , Nebman227 , Snydog17 , joshw335 , frederiklw , thetechzombie , xpsychovampx , richardmv , marcus638 , webdokkeren , accioali , Wazerwifle , Shiromakuro , sonnet666 , killstars , lolpatrol , PhotogenicParasympathetic , rikertchu , Skydra2 , Fairseas , Epidilius , Cunningcrow , NivStormfront , MattN7498 , DFDGamer , XxCataclysmiCxX , beatdown36 , itheoryz , ninjaclevs13 , Kleptozaniac , FALLEN-X-ANGEL , Xunfor6iv3nX , slemulv , philktoken8998 , metljoe , Swamy , BLEATH , , rockleemyhero|
|Want (13)||releasethedogs , RoninH3RO , Viper_3000 , kovellen , jarjar102 , adb_slayer , Gryffix , Verusor , Dantheman18 , Xijko , yerfdog1935 , SamFury , Beagleofevil|
Sphinx of Uthuun Discussion
3 weeks ago
I’m not a fan of the primordials since their value relies on what your opponents have in their graveyards.
If you want to focus on the flicker theme, I strongly suggest Parallax Wave. It has been very effective in my deck. I think a lot of the cards in your maybeboard are exactly what you need in the main deck. I guess you just need to get hold of them and replace some of the weaker cards currently in the list like Djinn of Wishes and Sphinx of Uthuun
3 weeks ago
You can go aggro control. Most of the creatures do hurt (5 power) with effective etb effect/s. Flickering them reuses their etb and give pseudo vigilance.
I will raise a disclaimer that esper tends to run "good stuff" because, well, there are good spells that have little to no alternates.
From the creature list: consider keeping
--removal Angel of Despair
--draw Sphinx of Uthuun
Sepulchral Primordial -> another good one, getting creatures in opponents' gy
Vela the Night-Clad -> could be a win con, when you flicker enough
Sun Titan -> not sure if you have many 3cmc permanents, but usually great to have
maybeboard Boreas Charger
hope this helps.
1 month ago
Im going to make these suggestions under the assumption that price is not an issue.
- Topdeck Manipulation
- Scroll Rack: is the card for this deck. Hand and topdeck manipulation with no equal.
- Sensei's Divining Top: Another fantastic artifact for controlling your draws.
- Soothsaying: Topdeck fixer. Cheap enchantment and a good mana sink. Basically a not as good, but cheaper alternative to Scroll Rack.
- Scroll Rack: is the card for this deck. Hand and topdeck manipulation with no equal.
- Abusing ETB options
- Panharmonicon: Why have one when you can get two? (Double ETB triggers).
- Riverwise Augur: Brainstorm ETB effect.
- Flickerwisp: 3/1 Flier, lets you get another ETB effect from a creature you already played.
- Glimmerpoint Stag: Strictly worse Flickerwisp.
- Conjurer's Closet: Single flicker effect on end step, it is slow and not a top recommendation
- Karmic Guide: Abuse-able graveyard recursion
- Angel of Serenity: Removes 3 cards each ETB and returns to hand instead of battlefield when it leaves.
- Magister Sphinx: Puts target opponent at 10
- Massacre Wurm: Great way to wipe tokens
- Sunblast Angel: Boardwipe ETB
- Pilgrim's Eye: Never miss a land drop ETB
- Mnemonic Wall: Return instants and sorceries from graveyard ETB, also a good wall
- Noxious Gearhulk: Destroys creatures and gains life on ETB
- Cataclysmic Gearhulk: Great way to clear a cluttered board.
- Big Game Hunter/Shriekmaw/Bone Shredder
- Ashen Rider/Angel of Despair
- "Better" spells (ie, better cards that do what cards you have do)
- Teferi's Protection: This card is busted by itself, coupled with your commander's ult and its just unfair.
- Counterbalance: If you have enough topdeck manipulation this can be a powerful card, but i can understand not wanting to run it.
- Homeward Path: Lets you (everyone) get back their creatures but not other non-land permanents
- Saving Grasp
- Supplant Form
- Mystical Tutor/Enlightened Tutor/Vampiric Tutor: One mana tutors that put the card on top of your library. I would definitely run Mystical Tutor at least.
- Fabricate: Tutors an artifact. Highly recommended should you buy the Scroll Rack or other good artifacts (Not worth it if all you have are mana rocks)
- Chromatic Lantern: Still the best 3 drop mana rock for multicolored decks
- Voidwalk: Another means to get your creatures back after you ult
Cards that I would consider taking out
- Primordial Mist: Clunky and slow and you have pretty much removed all of the other manifest cards it doesnt really fit.
- Jeskai Infiltrator: Another manifest card
- Enigma Sphinx: It is very expensive card for a 5/4 body, even with flying. It has no ETB effect to abuse (since you have to cast to get the cascade effect).
- Sphinx of Jwar Isle: Unnecessary Effect
- Conundrum Sphinx: There are far better and cheaper card draw effects... Loyal Drake for example
- Sphinx of Uthuun: Expensive for a Fact or Fiction
2 months ago
Sorry. That last comment was bad let me try again:
I would remove at first glance:
Azorius Chancery Dimir Aqueduct Forge of Heroes Orzhov Basilica Conundrum Sphinx Geode Golem Jeskai Infiltrator Loyal Subordinate Night Incarnate Ninja of the Deep Hours Phyrexian Delver Silent-Blade Oni Sphinx of Uthuun Varina, Lich Queen Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow Skull Storm AEthermage's Touch
These I chose either for the simple fact they don't go for the plan or are too slow. There are better cards that aren't that expensive.
3 months ago
I know you went budget, but I'd consider:
- Baral, Chief of Compliance for more cheap stuff (I know it's pricy, but maybe when it rotates out).
- Time Stop it's super flavorful and sometimes could mean "take an extra turn after this one"(it's much cheaper than it says).
- Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur is the flashy oh crap where's my hand buddy. He really is.
- Future Sight/Magus of the Future are both pretty interesting.
- Expropriate/Blatant Thievery because they're the steal spells (but where's my money at?).
- Chasm Skulker like wtf, when it drops you drop Rich's mom's cheesecake too.
- Ixidron just maybe, since your creatures are already 2/2, but they'd lose flying :/
- Inkwell Leviathan is a good hard-to-remove beater.
- Sphinx of Uthuun also filters and everything. No need for 2/2 when you got 5/6 fat butt lying around, amirite? Kinda.
- Niblis of Frost/Quiet Contemplation for when Tidespout Tyrant gets exiled.
- Swarm Intelligence because double spell means double fun.
- Sapphire Medallion with the Charlie Brown misprint :P
- Trail of Evidence because it's a damn cool art.
- Gravitational Shift to punch hard and feel less pain. Plus Emrakul doing a barrel roll with a lil' drakeling on the art so it's 100% legit and 100.5% flavour.
I know probably 17,5/4 of the cards of this list are not already in for a reason, but i didn't have un cazzo da fare for 20 minutes, so there you have it, I guess.
3 months ago
You're kinda light on Ramp and card draw. I tend to want something like 6-9 pieces ramp and 4-7 pieces card draw. Kodama's Reach, Cultivate and all on the on color signets I'd recommend for ramp. And Treasure Cruise; Fact or Fiction, and it's cousin Sphinx of Uthuun; and Read the Bones I would consider for card advantage. Maybe something like Regrowth too.
I feel like Rise from the Grave and Rakshasa's Disdain are subpar versions of better cards. Like why not run Counterspell or Logic Knot or Delay or Disallow or... you get the idea. Yawgmoth's Vile Offering could be a spicy edition to this deck over rise. I'll also agree with the comment above and say Diabolic Servitude is great.
Seasons Past could be really really good but it depends on your meta. The deck indicates that you probably want one but if you have a faster meta, probably pass on it.
If it were me, I'd probably cut Grimoire of the Dead (Very slow), Ghoultree (Not really synergistic), Sultai Ascendancy, (It's not a great card advantage engine or graveyard filler), Boneyard Wurm, (Chumped all day long) Altar of the Brood, (My guess would be you'll never win by milling your opponents out), Witchbane Orb, (I doubt it's gonna come up, all that often), and Rise and distain as I mentioned above.
Cool deck. Hopefully any of that was useful.
5 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
5 months ago
Apprentice Necromancer, Doomed Necromancer, Molten Primordial, Sepulchral Primordial, Diluvian Primordial, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Telemin Performance, Jace's Mindseeker, Mindclaw Shaman, Consuming Aberration, Geth, Lord of the Vault, Infernal Offering, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Sphinx of Uthuun, Civilized Scholar Flip, Dack Fayden, Sword of Body and Mind, Nemesis of Reason, Phyrexian Metamorph