|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Speed vs Cunning (DDN)||Rare|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Venser vs. Koth (DDI)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Sphinx of Uthuun
Creature — Sphinx
When Sphinx of Uthuun enters the battlefield, reveal the top five cards of your library. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (49)||VGJustice , ironax , Fleshxandxbone , Ashy , , DudeMan1031 , mziter501 , Halphinian , jstn.mrrtt , bakeraj4 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , LegendDeer , bradyofportdetroit , NOGzFTW , Lindough , Antiat , Kravian , Nemesis , Famicomania , Nebman227 , Snydog17 , joshw335 , frederiklw , thetechzombie , xpsychovampx , richardmv , marcus638 , accioali , Wazerwifle , sonnet666 , Shiromakuro , killstars , lolpatrol , Xunfor6iv3nX , PhotogenicParasympathetic , pskinn01 , rikertchu , Skydra2 , Swamy , DFDGamer , , rakdos24 , metljoe , Fairseas , Epidilius , MattN7498 , golgarigirl , Cunningcrow , NivStormfront|
Sphinx of Uthuun Discussion
6 days ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
3 weeks ago
Apprentice Necromancer, Doomed Necromancer, Molten Primordial, Sepulchral Primordial, Diluvian Primordial, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Telemin Performance, Jace's Mindseeker, Mindclaw Shaman, Consuming Aberration, Geth, Lord of the Vault, Infernal Offering, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Sphinx of Uthuun, Civilized Scholar Flip, Dack Fayden, Sword of Body and Mind, Nemesis of Reason, Phyrexian Metamorph
1 month ago
I'm gonna be honest, I'm thinking I'd like to see an addition in the creature category, in a way that wins with infinite ETB triggers. Laboratory Maniac would allow you to win the game off of your absolutely mental amount of draw effects. Maybe running an O.G. Eldrazi (like Kozilek, Butcher of Truth) for an emergency shuffle effect would be beneficial also, or having Elixir of Immortality.
1 month ago
Top RecsDeadbridge Chant (gets stuff in G-yard, becomes a must destroy)Grisly Salvage (hits early lands, sets up for later)Hermit Druid cuz BSSphinx of Uthuun another fact or fictionJarad's OrdersSearch for Azcanta FlipTaigam, Sidisi's HandTasigur, the Golden Fang
3 months ago
I never really faced your problem, since on my store people tend to play more midrange and aggro decks. There are only a few people playing control, and they usualy focus on holding down aggro strategies. Online i don't have this problem either since i usualy play on xmage on more casual tables.
But if you are having problems getting your commander on the game, i would suggest the following options:
1) Make your deck more independent from your commander. Use things like Conjurer's Closet, Panharmonicon, Eldrazi Displacer. Keeping your deck going even if Brago dies is a good plan B. If you are able to consistently blink things like Cloudblazer, Mulldrifter and Sphinx of Uthuun even without your commander on the field, you will eventualy find the answer you need or a win condition. And you won't feel so bad if brago is being consistently dealt with.
2) Play counters to fight their counters. Well... i imagine you already do that, but ill make some considerations: If you are planning to play brago with mana open, you know you won't be playing him on turn 3-4. Plan your deck accordingly, lowering your curve and maybe playing more instant stuff. Maybe put a vedalken orerry or something like that. If you are planning to protect specifically from counters, no shame on using Dispel, Swan Song, Negate. Most things that will fuck you up are non-creature spells anyway, since you can deal with permanents more easily.
3) One off-game thing thing about is sit right before the control guy on turn order. If you are the last one playing before he does, maybe a threat is played before it comes down to your turn, and you will have green light to play your commander. But remember that this can backfire. If nothing is played, he will for sure counter your commander because otherwise he might waste his mana open (if he has many counters in hand and is playing Baral or something like that). Anyway, the lesson is: try to avoid being the most threatening person on the table. Keep doing fair stuff until you feel the way is clear to go off and lock the game in your favor.
Hope i helped somehow, if i remember something more ill come back and comment. Thanks again for ur suggestions.