Front:Delver of Secrets Flip
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Transform (V17)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Insect
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Insectile Aberration Discussion
1 month ago
Another point on this is that when the card leaves the battlefield it will no longer be a copy. If Clone is a copy of Golden Guardian Flip and it dies after using the fight ability, the triggered ability will trigger to return it, but because it cannot be transformed it will remain in the graveyard on resolution. If Delver of Secrets Flip is a copy of Golden Guardian Flip (perhaps from something like Mirrorweave) and it dies after using the fight ability, the triggered ability will trigger and return it to the battlefield as Insectile Aberration, it will never be the land.
Also, if a double-faced card is a copy of another double-faced card, even if it transforms it will still be considered whatever it was copying, not the other side. If Delver of Secrets Flip is a copy of Thing in the Ice Flip and cast an instant to transform it, it will transform into a Insectile Aberration that's a copy of Thing in the Ice Flip, not Awoken Horror, so it will not trigger to return nonhorror creatures.
3 months ago
You're basically playing U/R Delver. Cut your creatures down to:
Then, switch a few of your spells around:
You also won't need so many lands. The ones you have are also kind of a problem because a lot of them always come into play tapped. Modern tends to have fewer turns than other formats, so you having lands that can never enter play untapped will lose you a lot of games. Any lands that do enter the battlefield tapped need to do something really good to warrant this. Therefore, I'd change:
-4x Swiftwater Cliffs
-4x Izzet Boilerworks
-0-1x Halimar Depths
+4x Wandering Fumarole OR Sulfur Falls OR Steam Vents OR Shivan Reef OR Spirebluff Canal
+1x Desolate Lighthouse
+1-2x Island (depending on if you cut Halimar Depths)
You have more blue cards than red in your deck, so you'll want to play more blue lands than red ones if you can't get a hold on any dual lands.
You may find Turn / Burn to be a bit heavy on the mana requirement. Consider replacing these with low-cost counter cards, such as Dispel, Negate, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, Squelch, Chart a Course, or Remand. If you do cut Turn / Burn for one of these other cards, remember to cut another Mountain or two and replace them with Islands. Otherwise, you'll have too many games where you can't cast anything despite having 90,2183,989 bajillionzillion lands in play.
Lastly, you'll need a sideboard. These are the cards that are useful for your deck, but only against specific kinds of threats. You're allowed to swap cards in and out of your deck between games after the first in a match (tournaments are best 2-out-of-3).
An example sideboard would look like:
2x Mizzium Meddler (for Boggles)
1x Counterflux (stops control and midrange)
1x AEtherize (you'll want these against aggro decks and tokens)
These four just get moved to your sideboard from your main since you only want them in specific situations2x Abrade (vs. Affinity)
3x Ceremonious Rejection (vs. Tron, Affinity, and Eldrazi)
1x Dispel (vs. Burn and control decks)
1x Magma Spray (stops Kitchen Finks and Dredge)
3x Tormod's Crypt/Relic of Progenitus/Grafdigger's Cage (you bring these in against any graveyard bullshit shenanigans)
2x Spell Pierce
(These last three are for beating Control, Combo, and Midrange decks, along with Burn)
From here, you should have a decent deck to take to your local shop to play with, but there's still some things you'll need:
- Serum Visions is beast mode in Delver because it's one of the most consistent ways to flip Delver of Secrets Flip in Modern. They're a 4-of, but fluctuate between $2 and $8, depending on the market. They're pretty cheap right now due to being reprinted in Eternal Masters, but they've definitely been higher. You should be playing these over Peek and if they're within your budget right now, go get them.
- Snapcaster Mage is a card that cranks up the power level of your deck. End of your opponent's turn Lightning Bolt -> Snapcaster Mage -> Lightning Bolt -> untap -> attack has ended a lot of games in Modern.
- Scalding Tarn + Steam Vents will fix almost all of your mana problems. You can play off-color fetchlands as long as they're blue and you have Steam Vents (such as Flooded Strand). Not only can you save on your life total by fetching up basic lands, this also opens up the option for a 3rd. color or maindeck Blood Moons. Fetch lands also act as fuel for Grim Lavamancers and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip.
- Speaking of which, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip functions as the 5th. through 8th. copies of Snapcaster Mage. He can also be somewhat of a "budget" option, although he works best when you're playing both cards.
- Sword of Fire and Ice and the other swords in the cycle can go a long way. An Insectile Aberration is nothing to fuck around with. An Insectile Aberration with +2/+2 and protection from 2 different colors will end the game.
- You'll also want Remands (likely 2 or more) at some point, but it's not high on the priority of cards to get. They act like Time Walks when your opponent taps out to play something and misses a land drop. This buys you time to lay down the beats with your small critters.
- Ancestral Vision is also a solid pick. You're looking to stall the game out long enough to kill your opponent with 3/2s and 1/1s, why not refill your hand halfway through the game?
Hope this helps! I'm sure I'm missing something that experienced Delver players can recommend.
3 months ago
The problem with all those cards is that they only work when Aluren is already out. Their contribution without it is very limited or downright nonexistent. This is especially true for noncreature cards in Recruiter lists, since the main tutor only finds creatures, so they have to carry most of the deck's weight. If you're running red, Ghitu Slinger is a good choice; useful against many threats like Insectile Aberration, Dark Confidant, Young Pyromancer and the like (and especially against Magus of the Moon), and with Aluren it's a kill condition.
Genesis Chamber looks interesting, it may have potential against control decks. Could be a nice sideboard card in the right metagame. Sadly I've never tried it.
6 months ago
Skaab Ruinator fails to be good due two factors:
- the opponent exiling the skaab is a real danger
- building a deck to have enough creatures to exile from the grave is too restrictive. (if it would ask for exiling any card, this card would be a staple of modern)
It would not compete with Insectile Aberration Flip, since the delver can be removed a lot easier and is unable to play defense against fatties like Tasigur, the Golden Fang, the titans, death shadow, and the like.
7 months ago
I think the best budget blue deck you can make in Modern is either Delver or Tron.
Tron is trying to assemble the three tron lands Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower, and Urza's Mine (they are about a 1$ a piece). With these three lands on the battlefield you can play big creatures like Kozilek, the Great Distortion and Desolation Twin and Bane of Bala Ged and Cyclonic Rift. In the early game you play counters and tempo cards like Condescend, Repeal, and Expedition Map to find tron lands.
Delver is much more spell centric with Delver of Secrets being the all star which flips into Insectile Aberration Flip. The other creatures are small evasive creatures with Ninja of the Deep Hours, Spellstutter Sprite, Faerie Miscreant, etc... the non creature spells are all tempo related like Vapor Snag, Deprive, Remand, Serum Visions, Opt.
I believe both of these versions can be built for 30$ and be budget competitive with room to grow and acquire more expensive pieces.
7 months ago
I'd just like to report that there isn't a little "flip" thing just above and to the right of Extricator of Sin and Extricator of Flesh such as with Thing in the Ice Flip and Awoken Horror Flip, and I can't find a way to fix it.
7 months ago
Importantly, Heir to the Night Flip is a Delver of Secrets Flip in this scenario, it is not an Insectile Aberration even though it's back face is up and it transformed while being a copy. Interestingly, if you activated Heir of Falkenrath and your opponent responded by casting Cytoshape both targeting and choosing Heir of Falkenrath (so that it became a copy of itself) it would transform (so Heir to the Night Flip was face up) but still be an Heir of Falkenrath.
11 months ago
Talrand, Sky Summoner, Young Pyromancer, Metallurgic Summonings, and Insectile Aberration Flip should help you along quite well, Guttersnipe too. Tezzeret's Gambit and Steady Progress work well to gain experience, Inexorable Tide will give a similar effect.