|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Angel
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may return target nonland permanent card from your graveyard to your hand. If that land is a Plains, you may return that nonland permanent card to the battlefield instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (33)||EliGjerdingen , failurechild88 , Puzzlemayor , Wolfninja , TrackerD , Dr_Jay , sonnet666 , Nemesis , ThisIsBullshit , DarkMagician , Regulus1010 , Snydog17 , mziter501 , aeonstoremyliver , thetechzombie , KB2187 , ecurps , Lucretian , Wazerwifle , Wolfebladeelite , Sparky41 , gosora , Nightdragon779 , Supremespeed , NobleSlay3r , rockleemyhero , MattN7498 , jhTheMan99 , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , saj0219 , Candyman949 , golgarigirl , Poptartz95|
Emeria Shepherd Discussion
2 days ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
2 days ago
superhuman21 I appreciate the suggestions, but only the Eternity Vessel is a suggestion Id put in. Celestial Mantle is too situational for the deck. Assuming an opponent doesnt have a blocker, then Id maybe put it in. Emphasis on maybe. Emeria Shepherd isnt a knight and too prone to removal. I dont have enough triggered abilities to warrant a Strionic Resonator
I appreciate the upvote and suggestions, but none fit in the deck _()_/
3 days ago
5 days ago
You should probably aim for Tainted Remedy rather than False Cure. It can be tricky leaving the mana open rather than being able to just fire and forget.
Since your deck's aiming for a long, grindy game, you might be interested in cards like Treasury Thrull, Phyrexian Reclamation, Phyrexian Arena, Debtors' Knell, Emeria Shepherd, Blind Obedience and the like.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
I'm adding Runehorn Hellkite instead of Reforge the Soul although I hadn't even come up with a place for it, andEmeria Shepherd and Sin Prodder.Going to sideboard Mass Mutiny, Mob Rule and Arcane Lighthouse.
1 month ago
Extort is a great way to tackle multiple opponents. If I'm right, your main strategy is to use extort AND (s)tax cards to whittle down your opponents' strengths.
The biggest problem I see with your deck is that its average CMC is way too high in order for you to use extort effectively. You will need to make some cuts to make the deck more effective in that area. I would also really find some additional ways to add some ramp to your deck, to make it a little faster. Last but not least, I would lessen the deck's focus on both tax (paying extra mana for stuff) and stax (forcing sacrifices) while also trying to build an extort deck.
Here are my suggestions:
Before suggesting additions, let me first suggest some cuts:
- Abhorrent Overlord: too expensive, bad synergy with rest of the deck
- Ashen Rider; cool creature, nice spot removal, but too damn expensive. Especially when you need your mana each turn to use your extort abilities.
- Darien, King of Kjeldor: too expensive, bad synergy with rest of the deck
- Emeria Shepherd: nice recursion, but too expensive CMC
- razaketh, the foulblooded : this is one of the main reasons that currently makes this deck very ineffective. It's one of two reason (Eldrazi Monument being the other) that you are running so many token generators.
- Dictate of Erebos: this is really not the deck's focus, and not needed if you also use tax cards.
- Debtors' Knell: nice recursion but fucking expensive (CMC-wise); there are cheaper alternatives.
- Grave Betrayal: nice steal card but again, unreal-fucking expensive
- Martyr's Bond: too expensive, there are cheaper alternatives
- Eldrazi Monument: no reason why this should be in here
- Everflowing Chalice: you need ramp but this does not work too well unless you're playing a counter/proliferate deck.
- Godsend: spot removal is nice, you need it, but there are cheaper ways.
- Devout Invocation: nice finisher but this deck can do without such an expensive card.
- Increasing Devotion: you do not need tokens
- Rout: I would replace this with a more interesting wipe (more on that below).
Ok, now that my removal suggestions are out of the way, time for some addition suggestions.
Adding two more lands wouldn't hurt. I would also consider adding Solemn Simulacrum, Burnished Hart or even Weathered Wayfarer. If you feel like spending big, Land Tax might be nice. In terms of ramp artifacts, Mind Stone, Thought Vessel or Commander's Sphere would fit well here.
I'm missing Treasury Thrull. Not just a great extorter, but also nice for recursion purposes.
Norn's Annex is an even better version of Ghostly Prison in my opinion. Especially for you since giving up 4 life to cast this in turn 2-3 is not a problem at all; you're gaining oodles of life anyway. Authority of the Consuls is awesome in this deck too, and so cheap! Since you're so fond of recursion, how about Athreos, God of Passage. His ability synergizes so well with your deck! Finally, Karmic Justice is cheap to cast and is almost as good as Martyr's Bond. And not a (s)tax card perse, but Crawlspace stops any ambitious token player dead in its tracks against you.
In terms of draw, with the amount of life you can gain with this deck, it basically begs for a Necropotence (or maybe an Underworld Connections or Greed). For tutoring, I'd add something like Enlightened Tutor (as enchantments are important to your deck's success). Diabolic Tutor could also be added; even Vampiric Tutor if you feel like throwing money around.
For spot removal, I'd suggest Unmake. For wipes, I'd replace Rout with Fumigate (gain live while wiping; noice :)). Also, Toxic Deluge is simply made for lifegain decks like yours, and it will even get rid of indestructible creatures.
As an afterthought
Well, I hope I did not forget anything and that any of this helped. If not, feel free to curse my name haha. If it did help, I would ask in return if you could peruse a deck of mine and leave your comments and/or likes. Thanks and happy gaming!
1 month ago
eyessky: I considered Resurrection, but with stuff like Emeria Shepherd, Defy Death and Bishop of Rebirth being printed relatively recently I didn't think it was extreme enough to warrant inclusion. Mark Rosewater has said that white can occasionally get reanimation. The others work though!