|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Lightning Strike deals 3 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.
|Have (20)||ironax , hardhitta71194 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Fiolek , frederiklw , darthnuchi , Totally_A_Spy , ZombieSam , Sprx101 , sombrevivo , Supremespeed , Yawkcorb , corys , nakni , MattN7498 , susureedjango , firemind12 , LeroyJones , FiggyMadison , dividingwithzer0|
|Want (43)||ryaniskool , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , netdragonarchfiend32 , Ariumlegion , analthunder , ElCamino , sius6555 , zjnitta , Black_Honn , flipdipple , shootersam12 , bolke , Killuas , TheSuperDodo , yerfdog1935 , Mtang8264 , XxDreMisterxX , publicvoid , StrawBossMH , 2OfHearts , Approximos , Red_Feathers , Rocks666 , Maytrixx , Gombo , Nissa_Is_Best , kovellen , ElderPartridge , MStrandet , MDN-wolf , skaspels , Hakira , TheGaffer , fescar , UniTheDino , +Highrider03+ , bakedbean , zoiad , Zehro , rawpower2025 , kapoan , Gladjolt , DragoKdb|
Lightning Strike Discussion
on Domri's Raid
2 days ago
That's an interesting take on the deck on this deck! I, personally, would consider moving Domri, Chaos Bringer into mainboard and instead moving Sunder Shaman into sideboard. Also you are lacking protection from fliers, other than the Lightning Strike in the sideboard. Does it feel like this deck is fast enough to outpower Izzet Phoenix or Mono Red with Rekindling Phoenix ? I would probably fit in a couple Crushing Canopy into sideboard and maybe Kraul Harpooner into mainboard. I see the Aggressive Mammoth doing a lot of work by giving the necessary trample, but in matchups vs Esper control or Nexus decks I would rather put Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma which gives every creature trample too! and +1/+1 if they are big and it only costs . If you even have means I would squish in a couple Carnage Tyrant somewhere since he is lower in price right now. Let me know what you think.
3 days ago
3 days ago
Hey, you asked my opinion. One time I read about consistence of decks composition. There is a lot of single copy cards, this make the game very unpredictible for yourself, lack of a solid strategy. My advice is to focus in more 3 and 4 copies of a single card and lass 1 and 2. But is a great selection o of card for a Gruul deck.
- Llanowar Elves , keep 4 of it.
- Dire Fleet Daredevil is a good card, but situational, 2 of then if you want to keep.
- Thorn Lieutenant is a good creature, good effect. But more oriented for a token deck, i would not put in this deck.
- Captain Lannery Storm takeout, have no synergy.
- Deathgorge Scavenger same as above.
- Gruul Spellbreaker best creature Gruul, 4 of them.
- Reclamation Sage and Thrashing Brontodon have the same objective. If I would choose Thrashing Brontodon . But have you see the Cindervines ? Is a good adittion, but I wold keep in the Side. For a enchant/artifact more oriented deck. Well, would use 2 or 3 of them if is that the case.
- Now the 4 cost I would consider to run few of them, would slowdown to much the deck.
- Dagger Caster is a good card, but would take it out.
- Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma you dont have that much of 4 power or more in the deck, would take out or increse the number Goreclaw for 3 and put more 4 power creatures. But I dont think is the case.
- Grand Warlord Radha good, not more them 2. since is legendary,
- Nullhide Ferox Very nice! 2 of Him wold make a great addition.
- Ripjaw Raptor Good for a draw. 2 of them but the other 4 creatures are better.
- Vine Mare is a good creature, against black is a unblockeable tank. But same as above, we have better creatures.
- 5, is a liitle mor harder to put on field. but...
- Charging Monstrosaur I love this guy, I would put 3 of them, if you can. Haste, Trample, maybe 6/6 with riot. Perfect.
- Demanding Dragon lets stay wtih only 3 creatures with 5 cost? Só choose betwew the Mostrosaur ou this little Dragon guy here.
- Ravager Wurm 1 is enogh, a nice surprise if you can cast it.
- Lava Coil Good removal, 3 of them, 3 of Lightning Strike or 3 of Thrash / Threat , they have pretty much the same cost and remove cards. Lava Coil is solid, Lightning Strike is flexible and Thrash / Threat work out with yours creatures power. I would choose one of them. Maybe leave one on side.
- Act of Treason I dont think that is a good card to the deck.
- Fight with Fire Great, 2 is a good number for it. can takeout a lot of threats.
- Response / Resurgence , woith Fight with Fire this is a little unecessary. Have a cheap cost, but is situational. Is a instant, make a little more flexible. If you keep it 3 of them would be nice.
- Rhythm of the Wild Put 3 of it, please xD.
- Domri, Chaos Bringer and Vivien Reid . Choose one and keep 2 of it. I wold go with Domri.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Its good that you are starting with making a deck based off a precon. Some of my best decks are based of Standard Finals Decks. Its one of the best ways to really get going. That doesn't mean, however, that you are always right and that I'm not going to give some advice.
While some cards are used in Standard against some matchups, when you play Modern, you have access to a much larger pool of cards. With this in mind cards like Cast Out and Harsh Mentor aren't really viable in Modern. Path to Exile is better than Cast Out in pretty much everyway, whereas there are better options for hate than Harsh Mentor .
If you are looking for some anti-graveyard cards, I'd suggest Grafdigger's Cage , Leyline of the Void , Relic of Progenitus , Rest in Peace or Nihil Spellbomb . Any of those are better than Crook of Condemnation in their own way.
There are also some cards that just don't seem to fit. Why do you run Celestial Dawn ? Is mana fixing really that much of a problem for this deck? I just don't see it. And how much does Cultivator's Caravan really help? I mean, you just spent 3 mana and at least 3 power on a mana dork who is admittedly a 5/5, but still. I would look at maybe Smuggler's Copter just for the cheaper price and the ability to refill your hand.
All in all, pretty impressive for your first even Mtg deck. +1 from me.
1 week ago
Have you thought about Grasping Scoundrel ? It's basically Daring Buccaneer when attacking. Ruin Raider is a must have in my opinion. Also how has Skewer the Critics been working out for you? I think I'd still prefer Lightning Strike over it because it's an instant.
Also props to you for making budget decks.
1 week ago
Instead of using the Pteramander , I would highly recommend using Goblin Electromancer . It will make your cards cost less so that they can be used more readily. If you are going for budget and are using more expensive versions of better cards, then using Electromancer really helps with casting them during the game. I have used Pteramander many times and every time I use him it is too slow for my liking.
There is also a card I have been liking called Depose / Deploy . It has a nice effect in tapping a creature if you need it, and there is no need to splash another color with the hybrid mana. Plus it draws you a card and gives you 1 tick for your drakes.
If you want to make sure that you have enough tempo in order to last into the late game, you may want to take a look at Murmuring Mystic . He has a nice ability, though he does have a pretty high CMC. I have found that he is a very good sideboard card against token decks.
If you use Goblin Electromancer , you will almost always have a wizard on the field. You want him to be in your starting hand so you can play him turn two, so if you decide to go that route I would take a look at Wizard's Retort and Wizard's Lightning . They both cost significantly less with a wizard on the board, but they also cost less with electromancer in general.
As far as straight up damage goes, you have the obvious Lightning Strike , which would just be the same as a lightning bolt if you have the Electromancer. If you are looking for something more though, you can look at Direct Current . Little harder to cast because of the two red symbols, but it also has Jump-Start, so you can cast it again from the graveyard. Firecannon Blast Is essentially the same, but it has that raid trigger to do 6 damage instead if you attack (which you will be). Fight with Fire also gives you more options, as you can either choose to deal 5 damage to a creature or kick it to deal 10 wherever you want.
As far as drawing cards so that you can get your instants and sorceries into the graveyard and your drakes on the field, one of the best budget ones that I have found is Chemister's Insight . It also has the jump-start ability so you can use it again. Radical Idea is basically a smaller version of that. Warlord's Fury is a low CMC card that will draw you a card and also give all your things first strike. I found it helpful sometimes, but not enough to keep it in my deck. Something like Arrester's Admonition could also be useful with it sending a creature back to its owner's hand, but I have not tested it enough to know if it is super viable.
The version of the drake deck that I play can be found at Draken' My Bacon. I tend to run a more aggro version of the drake deck that focuses on getting the drakes out as soon as possible and casting as many spells as I can. I also have all of the expensive cards vs the non-expensive ones, but I only got that over time. I started out where you are with a budget version.
1 week ago
After looking at this list and working on some tweaks I think this has the potential to be an ok archetype but nothing interesting. Blue makes Rec what it's renown for but I think there still some hope here.
For starters this is hoping your opponent isn't playing counters or post-board hate, which isn't reality. Sadly, enchantment removal and mono-blue just destroy slow builds now and this doesn't exactly have quick pay off like Nexus.
Turn 1 you have nothing. Turn 2 you have 5 cards that do nothing to interact. Turn 3 Casting Gift of Paradise after Treasure Map Flip looks bad to me on the curve. But that does leaves up a possible turn 3 Clarion, which isn't bad but not what this deck can rely on.
Turn 4 Rec may just get countered, bounced, Mortified, etc because no creatures or anything in particular is eating their removal. That's assuming 4 lands we're drawn or Paradise resolved. Route is a great power play but usually this deck doesn't really do much until Route resolves leaving your opponent a turn extra to continue their plan. Paradise into Route is also a bad curve. This is all the best case scenarios assuming you don't draw a gate either on curve, which happened to me frequently.
The good news is the power spells are mean once (if) resolved and hopefully you can play your next turn. Again our Dragon will immediately eat any creature removal and you can pray at least one untap with Rec to maybe want to do a measly 2 damage. Of course, this is generalizing from my experience.
So how to make this competitive from what I've seen. Needs 2CC removal spells. Lightning Strike , Justice Strike , Seal Away , or MB Lava Coil depending on meta. No control deck plays just big spells without early removal for time-tested reasons.
One suggestion I've made was Growth-Chamber Guardian . It made this deck a lot smoother against varied archetypes but left me wanting more.
One possibility would to be just go all in Gates. Likely splash for blue because it's just so powerful. Trim down Rec and add 4th Route and card draw + X spells.
Lightning Strike occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
All decks: 0.06%
All decks: 0.89%