|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creatures can't attack you unless their controller pays for each creature he or she controls that's attacking you.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
1 hour ago
My personal choice for a go wide deck is a bit off the wall, I would personally I love jank go for Sygg, River Cutthroat you play tons of unblockable creatures and you get sick cipher cards like Stolen Identity and Hands of Binding also sygg really is awesome at providing card advantage for the late game, but be sure to grab some deterrents like No Mercy and Propaganda so your opponents do some of your work for you
19 hours ago
War's Toll's second ability doesn't use the stack, nor does Propaganda. Propaganda adds a restriction to the attack (requiring a mana payment), and War's Toll adds a requirement to the attack (attacking with all creatures, When you attack, you must follow all requirements you are able to without violating any restrictions. If you only attack with one creature, you are violating the War's Toll requirement, but if you were to attack with all three creatures (without paying the mana, because Propaganda cannot make you tap land if you don't want to), you would be violating a restriction, so the attack would be illegal. Because of this, the attack with a single creature is more legal than the attack with all creatures, and thus is an acceptable attack. The reason this destinction is important because if you simply had 3 creatures and none were able to produce mana, you could still attack with just one creature, even if you had six lands. (Although, you would end up tapping all your lands anyways due to War's Toll's first ability, which is a triggered ability.)
1 day ago
1 day ago
I have 3 creatures, 2 of which can tap to add 1 mana to my mana pool.
2 days ago
2 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
3 days ago
I don't think the regular mill subtheme works super well; it's a really convoluted win con for EDH excepting infinite combos, and you don't have many cards that take advantage of the graveyards of other people. I think focusing on the infinite combo aspect harder will give you a more streamlined gameplan for sure, and the alternate win-con should probably be tokens with Oona.
To that end, here are some more great tutors to grab Navigator and your other pieces:
Plunge into Darkness <-- works amazingly with Oona tokens.
There are some better board control cards as well:
Faerie Macabre <-- for graveyard synergies, if those are prevelant
Mind Stone etc.
And some more combos/alt win con ideas:
Scion of Oona can let you swing for the win.
Capsize + infinite mana lets you bounce whatever you choose.
Not that all mill pieces aren't good; Altar of the Brood obviously mills out with infinite bounces, Sword of Body and Mind is just good value, Jace's Mindseeker can be nuts with other go-big decks, etc. But the cards that exist just to mill, like Keening Stone, Mirko Vosk, Szadek, Dimir Guildmage--cutting these for a more streamlined approach will help the deck function smoothly.
Of course, if you love the mill strategy, play what you love! But a better commander for that approach is probably Phenax himself.
3 days ago
Removing the Propaganda and Control Magic would make this deck Modern legal, where I think it would have a better chance of winning rather than trying to play it in vintage/legacy. They could be replaced with more mill cards or good creatures like Jace's Phantasm. You could also swap your Wall of Denials with the phantasms and remove white completely from the deck, making it more consistent (5/5 flyers make better blockers than 0/8 walls since most people don't want to lose their creatures to a blocker). The Arrest could be swapped with a Vapor Snag or something to hold off attackers for a turn. I also think 4 Traumatize is too many, since if you play a few mill spells in the earlier turns, the most you'll hit with a 2nd traumatize is 10 or so, which would make it worse than another 5 mana card like Jace, Memory Adept. Going up to 4 Hedron Crabs is also a good idea, perhaps replacing some of the 5-6 mana spells. Anyway, hope some of that helps. Happy milling!