Sacrifice a land. Search your library for up to two basic land cards, put them onto the battlefield tapped. then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Roiling Regrowth Discussion
2 weeks ago
My first thought is “How does this deck manage to function on barely 31 Lands and a total of 5.5 Ramp spells and 3 Mana Rocks?!”
Archons are a VERY expensive tribe to run; I would be cramming as mana Land tutors and mana rocks into this deck as I could, along with at least 37 lands.
I tried running an Elf tribal deck with 30 lands and always found myself wanting more lands after the first board wipe, and Elves average 1-4 mana each—I bumped that deck up to 36 and it’s much smoother nowadays. The Archons here average 5.8 mana each.
It’s not fun to sit there wishing you had more mana to play your big, bomb-y creatures while your opponents are doing stuff the whole game. I’ve been there more times than I care to remember.
If you don’t want to add more ramp and mana fixing, the other option is to go more heavily into stax and tax effects to slow down your opponents to give yourself more time to build up to your big spells. You have a couple in the deck already, but there’s tons of options, especially since you’re playing 4c and Archons just happen to be primarily in White and also just so happen to love creating stax effects of their own, AND they DO like Enchantments!
There’s obviously more than this, but I’m on my phone and these are what came to mind.
2 months ago
Other Cards that you could consider cutting
- Ondu Giant => Seedguide Ash this card is one more mana expsive and has to die inorder to get the lands, but could be such a good upside. This dieing with your commander reads ramp 3 draw 3 cards and gain 3 life
- Soratami Mirror-Guard I get what you are doing here, but I feel like there are better payoffs for this
- Timbermaw Larva => Rampaging Brontodon trample is 1,000% better on this card
- Wakeroot Elemental 5 greens for a 5/5? way overcosted
- Wave-Wing Elemental again similar argument to Windrider Eel not that big of an impact
- Wild Wanderer good but could have better options
- Aetherflux Reservoir I know this is good in commander but why? No synergy at all, there has to be a better card slot here
- Elixir of Immortality I used to put this in all of my decks too, but it is counter productive to your stragay with cards like Splendid Reclamation and The Mending of Dominaria
- Wayfarer's Bauble There is better ramp than this in green
- I see why you have Jiang Yanggu but I feel like there is stronger cards than that. I cut the card to tutor Journey for the Elixir for him sorry :(
- There are a bunch of other better than Ranger's Path you could add, I'll show them in the recommendations
- Future Sight and Ominous Seas both seem strange here. I get future sight can draw cards, BUT I feel you should use mana sinks rather than off the top of your library draw
- Ghostly Flicker is on thin ice, like yes you have all the etb creatures but sometimes it is a dead card. meh at best?
Other Cards that you could consider adding
This is where the fun begins and your wallet cries
- You want Nissa, Who Shakes the World great card, it is a mana doubler ramp, and also you just win with the ultimate
- I heard you like ramp try Tireless Provisioner and pick up one for me while you are at it please
- Here is a gaint list of green ramp Harrow , Growth Spiral , Explore , Khalni Heart Expedition , Roiling Regrowth , Grow from the Ashes , Urban Evolution , Migration Path , Natural Connection , Nissa's Renewal , Nylea's Intervention , Spring / Mind , Animist's Awakening , Omen of the Hunt
- Keeping your life total at a high level Kazandu Nectarpot , Grazing Gladehart , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot
- Mana Sinks, you are going to have a lot of mana, might as well do something with it Kamahl's Druidic Vow ummm.... yes? Kefnet the Mindful one of my favorite Gods, that doesn't have a place. I look forward to getting attacked by him Sprout Swarm it is really easy for this card to be "free"
That is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more la
4 months ago
One of the better ways to fix a land base is to lean into green more. Cards like Harrow , Sakura-Tribe Elder , Cultivate , Kodama's Reach , Fertile Ground , Roiling Regrowth , and Khalni Heart Expedition make playing your other colors easier. There’s also cheap rainbow lands like Unclaimed Territory (since most if not all of your creatures have the new creature type Phyrexian). I love the thriving lands from Jumpstart like Thriving Isle , Thriving Heath , Thriving Moor , and Thriving Grove for 4C decks.
4 months ago
Hi and thanks for your suggestions. Narset's Reversal really is a good card I just missed out. Didnt think of these interactions. Also getting rid of 1-2 fatties might be a good idea while including Chord of Calling . What kept me from adding Mystical Tutor and Worldly Tutor is, that i have to shuffle my library and put the card on top. So copying the spell doesnt work unless I can draw a card in between. Even without the copy potential, the cards are good though, so I will consider playing them. When I first saw the Storm-Kiln Artist in the spoiler, I thought WOW good UC for the deck. But after a bit of pondering, I realized, that I will have a 2/2 critter for 4 Mana without any impact, that will mostly die before creating treasures. So I decided not to play it. Roiling Regrowth and Force of Vigor are worth a bit of pondering, that might be true. Yeah and I already added some of the Lands in the paper version.
Thanks for your help, I really appriciate it!
4 months ago
Hey, you're missing one of the best cards with Kalamax and magecraft, Narset's Reversal . Use Kalamax copy of Reversal to send the original Reversal back to your hand and resolve the copies. With Kalamax it becomes a repeatable Fork that can be major disruption for your opponents. Reversal also combos with Twinning Staff to make infinite copies of Reversal.
Chord of Calling is very good if you want to play big creatures with Kalamax. For nine mana you can tutor for and cheat two 6 CMC or less creatures onto the battlefield. This interaction is popular with the Kiki + Pestermite combo as a win condition. You would be better off playing a few big creatures and instant Chord that has interaction with Kalamax then eight big creatures which is a lot.
Mystical Tutor is an instant tutor to get any two instant or sorceries. Worldly Tutor can get any two creatures. Solve the Equation can also get any instant or sorcery. Merchant Scroll can get any blue instant. Long-Term Plans can tutor for any two cards and with so much draw with Kalamax Plans has less of a drawback. Noxious Revival and/or Reclaim can recur any two cards.
If wanting to make lots of mana than Storm-Kiln Artist can help. His magecraft is excellent with Kalamax and a Fork which creates infinite treasures for infinite mana. Comet Storm becomes a win condition with infinite treasures. Artist is really good with the strategy of repeatedly casting/copying instants by making treasures which is better than just making mana especially with Narset's Reversal . Creating two treasures just by casting Reversal and then if copying an instant you make more treasures as Reversal copies the spell on the stack. Roiling Regrowth is another Harrow for more basic land ramp.
Good luck with your deck.
4 months ago
Hey, for a first deck this is well done on a budget. Nice Foothills Expedition :)
Ask yourself do you need Elemental tribal with Omnath? My advice will hopefully give you ideas of how you can make upgrades with Omnath by getting away from the tribal theme. Omnath by himself is an Elemental engine, creating Elementals with landfall. Focus more on ramp and landfall for Omnath as your main source of Elementals, not other Elemental creatures.
The cards you cast before Omnath should help you to cast Omnath which will do a lot more for gameplay then casting some Elementals before him. Still play some Elementals such as Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and Bane of Progress , but play these because they're good cards not because they're Elementals. Elementals such as Creeping Trailblazer and Lavakin Brawler aren't good enough even with Elemental synergy.
Cards in the early game you want to cast are ramp.
- Sol Ring
- Lotus Cobra
- Orcish Lumberjack
- Tireless Provisioner : Modern Horizons 2 card, landfall to create treasures.
- Farseek : can search for a Mountain dual land such as Cinder Glade or Highland Forest .
- Llanowar Scout
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Harrow : trigger landfall twice at instant speed.
- Roiling Regrowth : trigger landfall twice at instant speed.
- Springbloom Druid : trigger landfall twice.
- Stone-Seeder Hierophant
Lotus Cobra , Tireless Provisioner and Stone-Seeder Hierophant are important budget cards because of landfall which makes them combo with Perilous Forays + Omnath to repeatedly pay for the sac activation of Forays.
Ramunap Excavator , Mina and Denn, Wildborn and Moraug, Fury of Akoum are good budget support cards who are not Elementals; they're support comes from interactions with lands. Excavator lets you play lands from your graveyard which is excellent with Fetch lands for landfall: Foothills, Passage, Wilds, Expanse, Myriad Landscape , Naya Panorama , Jund Panorama . Excavator makes cards that make you sac a land when you cast them better since you can then play the land you saced from your graveyard. Excavator is also good with Valakut Exploration which is landfall for card advantage or damage to all opponents.
Wildborn lets you play another land on your turn and it also has an ability to bounce a land you control to give Omnath trample. Moraug can be a win condition with landfall giving you extra combat steps to attack with Omnath and 5/5 Elementals. You get an extra combat step after a main phase for each landfall trigger.
If you're interested in these suggestions then I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
Hey, well done so far on a budget. What's Troll 2?
Are you upgrading the Kalamax Commander precon? Or are you building from singles? I ask because I can't tell and there's several good budget cards in the precon to consider adding.
- Arcane Signet
- Chaos Warp : instant remove any permanent.
- Kessig Wolf Run : repeatable source of trample for Kalamax that Crop Rotation can tutor for.
- Exotic Orchard
- Yavimaya Coast
- Shivan Reef
- Cinder Glade
- Izzet Boilerworks
- Simic Growth Chamber
- Gruul Turf
Even if you didn't get the precon all these cards would be upgrades especially the lands.
Some other budget cards to consider:
- Reiterate : Fork for Kalamax with buyback.
- Commander's Insight
- Roiling Regrowth : like Harrow , but basic lands you get ETB tapped.
A more expensive price card to consider is Narset's Reversal . It has great interaction with Kalamax because he makes it a repeatable effect to copy any instant or sorcery an opponent casts. The copy of Reversal that Kalamax makes targets the original Reversal which then sends the original Reversal back to your hand and you resolve a copy of opponent's spell.
Reversal is nice to keep triggering magecraft especially Storm-Kiln Artist since with Kalamax Artist creates two treasures just by casting Reversal and it's returned to your hand. Use those two treasures to then cast Reversal on the next player's turn and repeat each turn an opponent casts an instant or sorcery.
You can do other neat tricks with Narset's Reversal and Kalamax.
- Twinning Staff makes an infinite copy spell combo which equals infinite +1/+1 counters on Kalamax as well as infinite magecraft triggers.
- Can use Reversal on your own sorceries to return Reversal and the sorcery back to your hand to cast again and resolve a copy of the sorcery.
Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
qwrtyp Thanks! Search for Blex I agree would be good. The card itself wouldn't fit into the budget that I was going for. Looking back I probably would change out the Harrow , Roiling Regrowth , amd Khalni Heart Expedition . For a Wood Elves , Farhaven Elf , and a Springbloom Druid to have more creatures to sacrifice and trigger both Grim Haruspex and Midnight Reaper