|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Common|
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Common|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Common|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity. If you spend this mana to cast your commander, it enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of times it's been cast from the command zone this game.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||ZombieFood , xXThormentXx , plof , Friedrice24 , Famicomania , Unjust_DiabIo , Oskani , ibraJG84 , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , angesoir , Mousemke , bakunet , pskinn01 , , killstars , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Xunfor6iv3nX , Reliva , DarkMagician|
|Want (3)||Ariumlegion , VampSlayer , Ace_Kavu|
Opal Palace Discussion
6 days ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
1 week ago
Since blue and green is great for card draw you might want to consider a Reliquary Tower.
In place I would eliminate the following: 1x Arch of Orazca1x Gleaming Barrier1x Ipnu Rivulet1x Manalith1x Orazca Relic1x Pillar of Origins1x Simic Cluestone1x Skyline Cascade1x Survivors' Encampment1x Woodland Stream(and at least x number or forest and islands to get your land count down).
1 week ago
Opal Palace - does a lot more in buffing Walker of the wastes than another wastes.
also, another amazing land has been printed as a common since then. Cradle of the Accursed :)
how often do you feel you get to 9 mana? Hand of Emrakul is the other big beater you are missing. annhilator in pauper seems good enough, haha.
if you still wanted an additional fatty to equip with evasion, Ruin Processor is the last biggest guy you are missing.
Vorrac Battlehorns is great that it forces your opponent to only ever block with one creature, which greatly accels your commander damage clock. Since it gives trample, you get to do the same strategy on any of your other beaters as a 2nd option.
Here's a big one in my opinion. run more cantrips. you want to be consistently hitting lands drops and getting to your key enchantments. in colorless, this is hard to do. cantrips really help turn through your deck to find those pieces you need to complete your strategy. here's a start: Chromatic Sphere, Chromatic Star, Conjurer's Bauble, Relic of Progenitus, Urza's Bauble, Astrolabe, Ichor Wellspring, Orazca Relic
Things i don't like in here...
Frogmite - a cheap, sometimes free 2/2? i would rather just run another cantrip effect like some i listed above.
Phyrexian Walker - again, i don't like running 0 cost things that do nothing on there own. run a ramp spell in place of it to get to your bigger bombs quicker. a 0/3 is not where you want to be, early or late.
Rusted Slasher - way too vulnerable and will never get a hit in. there are so many better 4 drops you should be playing, or again, replace with a cantrip. I would much rather play a cantrip into an equipment on t4 than this guy
Galvanic Key - neat trick, but i don't see this combat trick come up very often and colorless decks don't "fool" anyone when they leave up mana unless it is 7+ for scour mana.
1 week ago
Definitely don't need 40 lands. If you want to still play safe, you can drop to 38. if you want to be a little risky, I think it can work with 35. A lot of good cards, but just because they are good doesn't mean they belong. Avatar of Woe, Trophy Mage doesn't fit to the whole theme. Myr Retriever, Heartless Summoning don't seem needed. Yes, you are milling yourself too, but none of your artifacts are necessary for they deck to function. Your curve is low too, so there isn't a big need for ramp more than the staple rocks. Then, you need to think about lifespan. Creatures die most, then artifacts, enchantments, lands. Next, How are you going to go about playing the deck. It doesn't seem like you will be attacking a lot, if at all. Raiders' Wake fits, but you already have a lot of cards that do the same thing and then some. you wont be triggering Raid a lot if it all.
Compare the CMC to the effect to figure out what else you'd want to take out.
Back to mana... oh boy. Opal Palace is really only good in Voltron with few exceptions. Path of Ancestry works best in tribal, it's pretty much Crumbling Necropolis in here. I think you can live without Exotic Orchard. I didn't see any theft cards in here that require you pay for the card. Mystifying Maze is a worse version on Maze of Ith especially if used on a card with an ETB. You have way to many lands that come in tapped. This deck can be fast, but tapped lands slow you down a lot more than you realize. They aren't worth it unless they have a crazy effect.
Academy Ruins does what Myr Retriever does. Drownyard Temple comes back from the grave. Mikokoro, Center of the Sea more card draw. Mirrorpool might be nice. Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is a staple combo. Thespian's Stage and Vesuva copy lands; something to keep in mind. Throne of the High City might work if you keep yourself protected. Reflecting Pool is too good not to have
You'll need to find a balance of single card discard and mass discard. Too much mass discard will wiff, but too much single card discard will be too slow.
2 weeks ago
Opal Palace is good for this commander
You need more player interaction too, it seems like you're playing singleplayer EDH. You need to get more targeted removal. Doom Blade, Go for the Throat, Malicious Affliction, Bone Splinters, Putrefy and Anguished Unmaking are all good, but there are probably a few in green and white that I missed. Run Abzan Charm
Read the Bones is an amazing draw card.
Cryptolith Rite is really good when you have a lot of creatures.
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice will win games
Also, look at cards that give you life when creatures enter the battlefield, like Healer of the Pride.
3 weeks ago
Today I took another look at my land base.Currently I run 13 basic lands (4W, 5B, 4R). This is a lot in any non-green deck.Also there are 3 lands that can be upgraded. Nomad Outpost,Windbrisk Heights and Opal Palace. I have found a few upgrades. I will be adding both filterlands that contain Red, I don't see much value in filtering between white and black, which I often want both. But changing red into these will be a good change. These will both replace one basic land ( Rugged Prairie replaces a Plains and Graven Cairns replaces the fourth mountain)
Path of Ancestry works as a strictly better Nomad Outpost so it will replace the outpost (which will be the last land that enters tapped).
The fifth Swamp will be replaced by Foreboding Ruins
Which leaves the basic count instead at 10 (3W,4B,3R)There is one last upgrade to the mana base I would want to make, which is add the third and final OG Dual Land, Badlands replacing the fourth swamp. Bringing all basic lands to a neat 3/3/3 split.
3 weeks ago
One thing I notice is that you have no duel lands, the only two lands that help with color fixing is your Command Tower and your Opal Palace, unless you've been play testing this and have found the basics to be necessary, I'd imagine getting a few duel lands would be very helpful and it woulds make sure you can actually cast things like your Hour of Revelation and Overflowing Insight
also, If you do plan to play this deck similar to a control deck, it might be good to run at least some non-land permanents so that you can stem some early bleeding in case you don't have the mana for your Child of Alara, things similar to Crawlspace or even Cage of Hands
4 weeks ago
4 Color Merfolk, huh? Well, a lot of the Merfolk from Ixalan come with a +1/+1 counter theme. Fortunately, Black and White also have a lot of strong support cards for +1/+1 counters. I think a way to tie all 4 of your colors into one cohesive deck/theme is to build Merfolk Counters. Since you're new I'll build on some of the stuff that's been mentioned above me and then I'll dive into some separate recommendations after that.
38 lands is a great number to start your deck with.
7-9 Ramp spells, not necessarily mana rocks. Your deck is green (the best ramp color) and land ramp is typically (but not always) better than artifact ramp. The ramp that I'd recommend you start with is:Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Sol Ring, Chromatic Lantern, Explosive Vegetation, Simic Signet, Commander's Sphere
Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, and Explosive Vegetation all offer card advantage by getting two lands for a single card. They also help color fix since your deck is four colors but the land base is primarily basics. I'll touch more on this later when I start recommending creatures, but trying to build this deck without a refined mana base will be difficult. I'd recommend that you eventually look at acquiring shock and fetch lands. It will do wonders for your deck's consistency and open up powerful ramp spells such as Skyshroud Claim as legitimate options.
Chromatic Lantern will do a lot to help in this regard as well. Simic Signet and Commander's Sphere round out the recommendations as cheap options with a focus on blue and green as they will be your primary colors. Pro tip: Never cut Sol Ring, it's one of the best cards ever printed.
LeaPlath nailed it when they said to include as many of the lords as you can. The abundance of lords is the tribe's competitive advantage (the thing that this tribe does better than any of the others). With this all in mentality I'd recommend cutting all of non-Merfolk creatures from your deck. Excluding Ravos, of course. Creatures like Jace's Phantasm and Jelenn Sphinx have a serious cost when you consider that they don't coincide with any of the other synergies in the deck. You can play non-Merfolk creatures but they have to REALLY provide an effect that works well with what the deck's overall strategy is. I'd start with these lords (some are already in your deck):Master of the Pearl Trident, Lord of Atlantis, Merfolk Mistbinder, Merfolk Sovereign, Merrow Reejerey, Deeproot Elite, Metallic Mimic
Multiple Merfolk lords give your team Islandwalk. Aquitect's Will, Spreading Seas, Tidal Warrior give your team a way to get in unblocked. Herald of Secret Streams can be added to this category as well.
Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca does everything you want. He adds counters, draws cards, and provides a way to sneak in damage.
Lullmage Mentor is a great reward for having a lot of Merfolk.
Wanderwine Prophets is the other top end Merfolk here. If you're playing Prophets then you should also play Stonybrook Schoolmaster. These two creatures plus anyway to make them both unblockable (such as Kumena or Islandwalk) leads to infinite turns with unblockable creatures. Attack with both with triggers Schoolmaster, making a token. When Prophets deals combat damage to an opponent, sacrifice the newly made token, to Prophets' trigger. Take an extra turn. Due that over and over until you win.
Seafloor Oracle is a great way to generate card advantage on a Merfolk body.
Okay, that was a lot of creatures and I've not really tapped into Black or White yet. We'll get there in a moment. First I want to recommend 3 of the 4 Kindred cycle cards that are in your colors. Kindred Summons and Kindred Discovery are both great. They help you find more Merfolk to flood the board with which is Plan A. Kindred Dominance is a one-sided board wipe. It will leave you with a massive board advantage. Cyclonic Rift serves a similar purpose.
Okay, so time to revist the point I made earlier when I said that a non-Merfolk creature can be considered as long as it is offering an effect that the deck strongly desires. Winding Constrictor, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Reyhan, Last of the Abzan are all creatures that are worth considering at least, I think.
Gavony Township and Opal Palace are both colorless lands which your deck can't afford too many of at the moment, but I think that they're both worth including especially Gavony Township. They're definitely better than Dread Statuary.
Sorry if that was all a bit/too much. Hopefully this helped, good luck with the deck!