Creature — Human Wizard
When Spellseeker enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 2 or less, reveal it, put it in your hand, then shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||metalmagic ,|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
1 week ago
Daedalus19876 Hey there! I LOVE your primer; it's well-written and it has inspired me to look at running Araumi as my next commander choice!
Quick preface before going into some questions; I'm a pretty new Commander player (coming from Modern and Pioneer background) and I've been looking at a few decks to make a small "commander stable" over time.
Using this deck as a template (and also your Fresh Fish for Cheap ($250 Budget Araumi) as another reference), I wanted to ask you a few questions about how to tweak/modify this deck in case I wanted to modify for certain rules.
1) No infinite combo(s) rule: Let's say I'm playing in a more casual pod where this rule is instituted. What would you immediately sub out from this decklist and what would be good options to put in that would allow you to play a more relatively "fair (even if it's still graveyard shenanigans!)" game? Bonus points if the sub-in options are sub $20 at max!
2) Tailored budget considerations: For that matter, what would be some good options to sub out the >$20 cards in this list? The most obvious ones that I can tell, from quick pricing, are:
- Gilded Drake , Hullbreacher , and Spellseeker
- Entomb , Mana Drain , and Fierce Guardianship
- Mana Crypt and Phyrexian Arena
- Naturally, the expensive lands (fetches, Volrath's Stronghold , etc.)
3) General theme of "powering down/creating more flair": I'm a huge fan of the 75% deck mentality, and I'd love to be able to modulate the deck to power up or down (mostly down based on this current decklist). Taking out the pricier cards is probably one of the most obvious ways to "power down" the deck, but what would you recommend in terms of other card substitutes (i.e. if I wanted to be able to side out/in certain cards just to add more flavor)? This whole theme is generally tied into the previous two questions, but this is just more picking your brain at this point!
Thanks so much for your work!
4 weeks ago
Hey there! Spellslinging is a super popular theme in commander (assuming that's what you're going for), and I have a few options you might want to look into! On a side note, if you like getting suggestions I recommend marking your deck as "help" under its edit settings so people are more inclined to comment on it. Additionally, you can specify which printing when inputting a card, but for Rowan it would be "1x Rowan, Scholar of Sparks (STX:278)".
Will and Rowan are GREAT, but if you'd like, here are a few instant/sorcery matters commanders in ! Most of these are also great cards just in the deck whether you use them as commanders or not: - Veyran, Voice of Duality - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Niv-Mizzet, Parun (goes infinite with multiple cards such as Ophidian Eye , Tandem Lookout , Curiosity , and more. Especially with something like Laboratory Maniac out) - Melek, Izzet Paragon - Zaffai, Thunder Conductor
Lands/Ramp: Since this would be a spellslinger deck, I'll stay away from too many artifacts, but here are a few ramp cards and good lands to consider!
- Sol Ring
- Arcane Signet
- Sapphire Medallion / Ruby Medallion
- Lotus Petal
- High Tide
- Mind Stone (if you plan on running a lot of card draw)
- Thought Vessel
- Commander's Sphere
- Treasonous Ogre
- Dockside Extortionist
- Irencrag Feat
- Jeska's Will
Extraplanar Lens (if you plan on running a lot of basics)
- Scalding Tarn
- Riverglide Pathway Flip
- Temple of Epiphany
- Sulfur Falls
- Frostboil Snarl
- Training Center
- Command Tower
- Ancient Tomb
- City of Brass / Mana Confluence
- Prismatic Vista
- Shivan Reef
- Cascade Bluffs
- Fiery Islet
- Spirebluff Canal
Some good Instants/Sorceries There's obviously tons upon tons upon tons of these, but here are a few that I enjoy using.
- Swan Song
- Fierce Guardianship
- Cyclonic Rift
- Mystical Tutor
- Temporal Mastery (good with the tutor above)
- Faithless Looting
- Narset's Reversal (lot of infinite combos I believe)
- Deflecting Swat
- Thrill of Possibility
- Rapid Hybridization
Instants/Sorceries Matter: There are also tons of these, but just to name a few:
- Baral, Chief of Compliance
- Young Pyromancer
- Docent of Perfection Flip
- Wee Dragonauts
- Snapcaster Mage
- Sprite Dragon
- Any card with magecraft from strixhaven
I hope this helps! Some suggestions may be out of budget and others may not be, and on the other hand you might have already known about most of these cards, but either way I hope this is of use to you! Be sure to check out some of my decks like Double Trouble EDH ⫸PRIMER⫷, but most of all, good luck on your deck! Have a fantastic day, and happy tapping.
4 weeks ago
This deck is really well built good job
You have several small fry that is good early in the game (ie. Simian spirt guide, Spellseeker , Trinket Mage ) but later in the game might not be so good. Have you considered adding Mystic Reflection so later in the game you can have several Consecrated Sphinx and Jace's Archivist . That would be great because your tokens would also enter as copies of those creatures
BTW thanks for the upvote
4 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Perhaps the added protection of Guardian Augmenter could be swapped out for Beastmaster Ascension ; sure we lose bigger snakes (which could impact our Skullclamp negatively), but we still have Shared Animosity to draw in the big attack numbers should we need it.
2 months ago
Also if you ever get Imperial Recruiter and Spellseeker in here... also add Neoform . The following is the most streamlined way to combo in Animar and only requires 2 counters on Animar: , 4 life, and Imperial Recruiter in hand. Imperial Recruiter looks up Phyrexian Metamorph . Metamorph for 2 life copies Recruiter and looks up Spellseeker . Spellseeker looks up Neoform . Neoform sacs Spellseeker to look up Ancestral Statue . Play Statue bouncing itself until Animar is double your opponents life total then use Statue's final bounce to return Phyrexian Metamorph to hand. Metamorph for 2 life again copies Imperial Recruiter to look up Walking Ballista for the win.
Feel free to check out my list for ideas. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Animar, Gaea's Hemorrhoid
3 months ago
Bloodzy, I should add these into my explanation, haven't done that yet since the rules change. Voidslime and Disallow don't get tutored up by Spellseeker , which is a big deal in my opinion, but they are pretty good cards on their own. You could add a Mystical Tutor or to get them more reliably but that ruins the surprise and blowout potential, but it's still reasonable and the tutor can also be used to get other cards. Sundial of the Infinite , however, does not really do anything on its own and would just be there for permanent removal, which also only works on your turn.
The problem I personally find with this effect is threefold (in decreasing order of importance):
- I run enough removal (that is also reusable because of Roon) to be competitive in the format I play in and we are fast enough that Reflector Mage often achieves the same effect, the game will simply be over by the time they get to use their commander again.
- I prefer advancing my own position over trying to screw with someone else (unless they are about to end the game), because I have a very instant finisher in my combo. Slowing down one opponent (or blowing them out, likely making the spend the rest of the game trying to screw with me) is in my opinion weaker than advancing my own position.
- I play in an established playgroup where we basically play with open decklists. Not that it can't still be effective, but it lacks the blowout because my opponents will likely keep it in mind.
TL;DR: I personally wouldn't play them because I don't think they are optimal in my current playgroup, but I don't dislike Disallow or Voidslime . I don't like Sundial of the Infinite . If you want to run more of these effects I would instead reccomend Trickbind , which can't be countered, or Tale's End , which is also just a 2 mana commander-counter. Like the other two counterspells, they are more flexible than Sundial outside of the combo with Roon, but they are also tutorable with Spellseeker .
P.S. sorry for the delayed reply, I don't check my tappedout regularly.