Captain of the Watch
Creature — Human Soldier
Vigilance (Attacking doesn't cause this creature to tap.)
Other Soldier creatures you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
When Captain of the Watch enters the battlefield, put three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
|Have (2)||sonnet666 , metalmagic|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Kiora (DDO)||Rare|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Rare|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Captain of the Watch occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Captain of the Watch Discussion
1 month ago
Looks like a great deck are you in a budget group I’m guessing?
Assemble the Legion would be a great card to add in the deck since it can quickly get you an army of tokens if left unchecked.
1 month ago
2 months ago
6 months ago
The deck wants to get hit, and yet you play several creatures that block well. Cards with higher toughness than power aren't what this wants I don't think. Cards like Jareth, Leonine Titan that only block well aren't that good. This deck wants opponents to flunge, and you to flunge right back, but way stronger with all your new tokens.
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is better than Gideon, Champion of Justice at doing what the deck wants. At worst, Ally of Zendikar is an anthem in a deck with lots of little soldiers. At worst, Champion of Justice is a 4/4 for 4 that does get big fast, but if he's getting big fast things aren't going well. White Weenie doesn't want blockers, so why would you want your opponent to have creatures? Also, why would you ever plus him more than maybe once? To get the ultimate that does nothing but restart the game? Unlike with Karn, Gideon is almost certainly dead after the ultimate, and it not he's at 1-2 loyalty. With no permanents, he's not getting bigger with that +1, so he's a 1/1 or a 2/2. I just think Champion of Justice thinks about the long game, but White Weenie doesn't want to get to turn 15, they want to have won by then with an absurd amount of soldiers
Cut Rebuff the Wicked for Lightning Greaves . You can never one-for-one a deck with only counterspells. If you're trying to protect Darien, then if the first spell doesn't kill him, the second one will. You do already have Swiftfoot Boots , but a second (better imo) copy doesn't hurt
Also, Anthems. Play more. You've got Elesh Norn and Captain of the Watch , but that's only +3/+3. Go further, add keywords, get Lords, go ham
~ Bad Cards ~
Ghostly Prison - You want to get attacked to make tokens
Baird, Steward of Argive - YOU WANT TO GET ATTACKED TO MAKE TOKENS
10 months ago
Skullblade248 - yeah you kinda pointed out the problem with the deck. it started as soldiers with Field Marshal , Captain of the Watch , Preeminent Captain , etc. but kinda morphed into this human soldier thing that i didn't want to sort out/deal with since i stopped playing mtg
also, if you opt not to buy the 3 Cavern of Souls , this deck is about $50. if you end up buying this deck, have fun with it :) or if you want to create a real soldier tribal deck, let me know and i'll take a look at the decklist
11 months ago
Thanks cireretals - Preeminent Captain is a good card, but at 50 cents I had to choose between that and Captain of the Watch . If I wasn't sticking to a $5 limit I would add more of both, and use the first to play the second.
1 year ago
Alright so this is where things get difficult lol. Right now the deck has some semblance of agro and control but its currently being bogged down by things that don’t contribute anything or enough to warrant their spot. I’m going to suggest a lot of cuts and for each one I’ll offer a decent replacement that will not only make all of our lives miserable but also contribute to making the deck far more resilient and difficult to stop. Creatures to cut
- Aegis of the Gods
- Archangel of Thune
- Archangel of Tithes
- Baird, Steward of Argive
- Basandra, Battle Seraph
- Captain of the Watch
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
- Firemane Angel
- Guardian of the Gateless
- Herald of War
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal
- Pyreheart Wolf
- Seraph of Dawn
- Soul's Attendant
- Tajic, Legion's Edge
Creatures to Add
- Alms Collector
- Aven Mindcensor
- Combat Celebrant
- Containment Priest
- Eidolon of Rhetoric
- Godo, Bandit Warlord
- Magus of the Wheel
- Mother of Runes
- Relic Seeker
- Samurai of the Pale Curtain
- Spirit of the Labyrinth
- Stonehewer Giant
- Sublime Archangel
- Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
- Viashino Heretic
Noncreature Spells to Cut
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir
- Elixir of Immortality
- Hedron Matrix
- Moonsilver Spear
- Power Matrix
- Tablet of the Guilds
- Worn Powerstone
- Celestial Mantle
- Ghostly Prison
- Gleam of Battle
- Holy Mantle
- Ordeal of Heliod
- Revoke Existence
- Safe Passage
Noncreature Spells to Add
- Boros Charm
- Crush Contraband
- Path to Exile
- Swords to Plowshares
- Smothering Tithe
- Aggravated Assault
- Open the Armory
- Reforge the Soul
- Steelshaper's Gift
- Coalition Relic
- Coldsteel Heart
- Fellwar Stone
- Gilded Lotus
- Sword of Feast and Famine
- Sword of the Animist
Now what these additions will do is smooth out your mana curve and make you come out swinging far more quickly in more consistently. The additions include another outlet to go infinite through Sword of Feast and Famine and Aggravated Assault . They also contain multiple ways to tutor up Helm of the Host and win. Combat Celebrant and Godo, Bandit Warlord each go infinite with helm and Godo will tutor for it himself and place it straight onto the battlefield.
We also tighten up your control package with cheap removal and creatures that limit what you’re opponents can do. I can provide more explanations in person if you like.
Remember these are only suggestions lol But if you try them I think you’ll like how much faster the deck pops off.
1 year ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.