, Sacrifice Soul Snare: Exile target creature that's attacking you or a planeswalker you control.
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Soul Snare occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Soul Snare Discussion
3 months ago
Actually, your comment made me think that I needed to sit down and reevaluate how much removal, protection, and card draw I have in my deck. So I spent the afternoon making custom categories for it so I could see it all laid out. I just got my deck in the other day and have played it against my husband a couple times. Feels good so far, but I think a couple of the changes you recommended could be good! I think I will definitely switch out Soul Snare . Thank you!
KreaHoch: I was actually just looking at All That Glitters the other day. I made this deck before Throne of Eldraine came out and was going back and forth on whether I wanted to order the cards for this deck or for the Yarok Deck I'm working on first. Anyway, I just ordered it and I'm definitely swapping it in. Thank you!
3 months ago
Ah, yes! Enchantment strategies are far too enjoyable, so an excellent choice in deck! I do have some recommendations for this beauty.
Soul Snare can be a bit restrictive on what it can remove, so Kenrith's Transformation can shut down a commander for some time, and replaces itself. Journey to Nowhere , Banishing Light , and Oblivion Ring can be of aid, as well.
Shielded by Faith will defend crucial creatures and swap onto the commander when it's time.
And Worship keeps you in the game when you shouldn't be.
Kruphix's Insight and Commune with the Gods are terribly efficient draw spells to keep a deck churning. For auras, Sram, Senior Edificer , Umbra Mystic , and Kor Spiritdancer are fantastic, and Open the Armory can fetch some. Nevermore is also great for locking out commanders, or other cards if you'd like.
'Tis everything of note, my liege.
5 months ago
6 months ago
ok, casual format it is then (you can manually change the format in the deck edit pretty much at the top, being tagged in the wrong format also makes the suggestion system not work properly), my questions were more to figure out what I can suggest for upgrades and less actual questions to build as I have U/W control (what I got edition).
For a bit of a power boost both Narset, Parter of Veils and Ashiok, Dream Render dig you over halfway down to recast that same approach, Fact or Fiction will dig you even deeper and most casual groups no one has any clue how to make a good pile. Ponder is a beast of a cantrip compared to Opt in digging for that 2nd sun.
Now if you're in casual and it's multiplayer, Soul Snare can do wonders in keeping people from attacking you. you have the depute, but why not just have the Detention Sphere so you don't board wipe it?
Speaking of board wipes Planar Cleansing will destroy everything and Day of Judgment is 1 mana cheaper, sure you have a kind of chance to bounce a moat back to your hand or gain some life off the other board wipes, but wiping everything or being lower cmc are overal just better.
now more counterspells are rather strong, Spell Pierce and Dispell can directly protect your approach, but just a simple Mana Leak , Dovin's Veto , or Syncopate can greatly aid you in stopping some non creature things you don't want to happen Dismiss can also be rather spicy as it's just the 2 most common choices of Cryptic Command locked together.
7 months ago
MahBoi100 Like Jack the Ripper, let's go by parts:
The first three cards are removal spells, we are not trying to control the board, we are trying to conduct towards a result that benefits us.
I really like the idea of Varchild, you strengthens your opponents while protecting yourself.
Scheming is nice and dangerous at the same time.
Crown didn't create any value for your own.
Mathas attract to much attention.
Flash is CMC 6, that's too heavy, but it's a alternative to Word of Seizing , a card that saw a lot of play in this deck in the past.
You blowed my mind with Master Warcraft , excellent card for the aikido strategy.
Disharmony is like a fog of one creature or a removal spell, since you can get and block another attacking creature with it, both of the effects has better options in magic.
Soul Snare I like the reason behind the use of this card. Nice!
Encircling Fissure you usually don't have creatures to abuse of this, but it's a nice fog, can enter in the place of other.
Treacherous and mindclaw are heavy, cmc 5, and a shot in the dark.
Coveted act likes the monarch itself, a second monarch for 6 manas.
7 months ago
Hi! I'm relatively new to this aikido style of control/pillow fort. I've already learned a bit from everyone's comments already, so thank you guys! :)
I've made a list of cards that I imagine fits the archetype but that I haven't seen in most lists. I would really appreciate if i could get your experienced opinions on them. Thank you all in advance :)
Spectral Grasp - Prevents a creature from attacking you like the Vows do, but unlike the Vows, Spectral Grasp also makes them unable to block your creatures.
Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor - Gives your opponents 1/1s that can't attack you or block,incentivizing them to hit each other with them. When Varchild eventually bites the dust you even get all the survivor tokens that have, well, survived.
Crown of Doom - Incentivizes your opponents to attack each other and can't be returned to you.
Mathas, Fiend Seeker - Rewards you and your opponents for killing creatures that don't belong to you.
Flash Conscription - Seems to fit aikido quite nicely if I've come to understand the term correctly. Steals an opponent's creature at instant speed to block, and it even gets a lifelink-effect if you payed white. Does cost 6 mana though...
Master Warcraft - Its uses include making opponents' creatures kill each other, assuring your survival one combat step if an opponent is threatening and letting your creatures slip past clogged up boards for lethal damage.
Disharmony - Steals an attacking creature to let you block with it.
Jabari's Influence - Gain permanent control of a creature that attacked you. Its drawbacks is that it costs 5 and only works on nonblack and nonartifact creatures which limits its uses, in addition to shrinking its power slightly. Still feels pretty on theme.
Encircling Fissure - One sided fog. Can punish an opponent for being overly aggressive with their creatures. Can also help out an opponent in a pinch to make them owe you a favour later on.
Treacherous Urge - Can steal an opponent's creature from their hand and hit them with it. It's also a instant, so you can use it in response to someone attacking you.
Coveted Jewel - Provides you or the one who steals it from you with ramp and cards. Everyone wants in on that good stuff, right? I imagine that this could get tossed around a bit, but maybe 6 mana is a bit much, even if you get 3 of them back right away...
7 months ago
I see the ramp now. The cluestones and outpost don't fit well in my opinion I'd replace them with something like
or remove them completely. I understand
I'd consider adding Path to Exile , something like Soul Snare (idk the good cards), Oblivion Ring , Darkness or Deafening Clarion instead of Rakdos Cluestone , Veinfire Borderpost , Gatekeeper of Malakir (hard to cast with 3 black) or Syphon Mind .
Good ones to add from your maybeboard could be Blood Artist , Adanto Vanguard instead of e.g. Falkenrath Marauders , Gatekeeper of Malakir .
I'd also replace the ETB tapped lands Urborg Volcano , etc. with basic lands, the tapped lands are slow.
9 months ago
I've made a number of recent updates here.
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator - I've got a few other ways to recur enchantments, and she's just way to slow. I've never had her survive until my next turn to actually use her.
- Fountain Watch - I prefer Sterling Grove since I can sac it if I need to stick some auras on an enchantment creature.
- Ashes of the Abhorrent - not really relevant in my meta.
- Vanishing - I absolutely love this card and may end up putting it back in. But flickering ward has been doing way more work for me, and there's been a number of times where leaving up is a pain.
- Paradoxical Outcome - with so many draw engines already the card draw was irrelevant, and I've never actually been in a situation where I was able to use it to save some permanents. Also I have ways to get them back from the graveyard.
- Wilderness Reclamation - I added it when Sigarda's Aid was still in there, but I don't think either really add anything.
- Authority of the Consuls - I've found it to be very minimal benefit
- Dawn's Reflection - While a great EDH ramp card, I already have the exact same function in Market Festival , and it felt like I have enough ramp without it.
- Soul Snare - I kinda liked the idea of the threat on the battlefield for a similar effect to Ghostly Prison , but I think it's just too weak of a card.
- Yavimaya Enchantress - I cut this long ago and I'm not entirely sure why... but she's back in now.
- Enchanted Evening - Haven't had a chance to cast it yet, but I can see this doing some outrageous things here. Makes any permanent, including lands: trigger card draw from enchantresses, buf Yavimaya Enchantress / Ancestral Mask / Tuvasa the Sunlit . It also makes everything protected by Privileged Position .
- Mystic Remora - not gonna lie, I mainly added it because I love the art. But I think it can be a pretty powerful card here depending on the matchup. And the cumulative upkeep is essentially free in EDH.
- Privileged Position - I had this in here already at one point but cut it because of the high CMC. But I think I've got enough ramp at this point to make it well worth having.
- Blind Obedience - Not sure if this is a keeper yet, but there is a Breya combo deck in my local meta.
- Mirari's Wake - Ramp! This card is insane, not sure why I didn't have it in here from the start.
- Omniscience - Not sure if it's a keeper because of the super high CMC, but it does seem like pretty much a game ender as long as there's a card draw engine on the battlefield.
- Earthcraft + Squirrel Nest - I just couldn't help myself, I want infinite squirrels! Earthcraft is also relevant on it's own with all the land enchantments. I may end up cutting Squirrel Nest , as I'm not sure I like infinite combos in EDH, but that's not happening until I have a chance to use!