|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Rest in Peace
When Rest in Peace enters the battlefield, exile all cards from all graveyards.
If a card or token would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (33)||rebelteddybear , ironax , Terrvex , Wazerwifle , mziter501 , Pyre_Vulpine96 , awalloftext , cklise , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , TheRealPeaches , ShishkyBob , jamesesdad , redlegs_17 , tragic_slip , NOGzFTW , Roadhog , Lindough , ChrisH , Poptartz95 , Kimimaro , switchkill65 , Dr_Jay , Sergal , jrschnoebelen , EnividWodahs , Nemesis , Falte , MrCrazzyc , TehDelta , MTG1814 , Vergil_Redgrail , thetechzombie , ChessRuler|
|Want (7)||RubyStrings , GeminiSpartanX , Bulldawg1310 , gamerhat , Matgic , Mousemke , Vasbear1|
Rest in Peace Discussion
1 day ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
2 days ago
So regarding turn 3 wins...
I would say they are highly unlikely since if your Baral, Chief of Compliance / Goblin Electromancer eats a Lightning Bolt / Fatal Push / Collective Brutality... etc. on turn 2, you will need a minor miracle to win.
As in such case your rituals produce only .
Which means that you would need 1 ritual to Gifts Ungiven.
and 4 more rituals to be able to cast Past in Flames on turn 3.
And if you run only Grapeshot & Empty the Warrens any sensible player will put those in the grave, and let you whatever else you searched up.
(Creature removal is not exactly rare in modern decks - while your deck doesn't have ways to interact with it when you tap out on turn 2 to cast your creatures (no Disrupting Shoal or Pact of Negation)
I would also like to mention that relying on instant/sorcery cards in the grave to combo off is very risky in modern - there are just to many things that hate on the grave.
Plus everyone sideboards grave hate coz dredge.
Scavenging Ooze, Dryad Militant
Grafdigger's Cage, Relic of Progenitus, Tormod's Crypt
And the worst of all Rest in Peace & Leyline of the Void
(+ pesky Leyline of Sanctity - which screams scoop, if Empty the Warrens fails
Please tell me how do you win on turn 3 in such a situation!
P.s.: Storm Entity may help with going off on t3, as it could be the third target for Gifts Ungiven - but it still can't win in itself.
3 days ago
I would tighten up the auras a bit. By far, the best effect is Spirit Mantle, so I would boost those for sure.
Other than that, it really comes down to testing. In the games you win, which cards are good, and which are meh? In the games you lose, what went wrong and what could help?
From first look, I'd want some more absolute answers in the sideboard (e.g. Rest in Peace, Creeping Corrosion, Circle of Protection: Red, etc..)
5 days ago
11/12/17 Update: I decided to make a few adjustments to the list:Mainboard-1 Island-1 Plains-1 Bygone Bishop-3 Unclaimed Territory+ 2 Seachrome Coast+1 Kataki, War's Wage+2 Moorland Haunt+1 Geist of Saint Traft
With a top end of CMC 3 in my curve, 24 lands were probably too many, so I cut down to 23, and I'll see how that plays. Unclaimed Territory seems good still, but not having colored mana to cast Lingering Souls, Fatal Push, or Path to Exile seems a little bit sketchy. If I'm going to run colorless lands, I'd rather that they do something proactive, like Moorland Haunt which can create additional threats or blockers. I picked up a second copy of Geist of Saint Traft, so Bygone Bishop is now out. Finally, I moved a copy of Kataki, War's Wage into the mainboard, both as an additional 2 mana aggressive creature, and to hose any decks utilizing artifacts. This list doesn't have any artifacts, so Kataki seems quite versatile.
As for the sideboard, Relic of Progenitus seems less useful than Rest in Peace, which acts as a permanent piece of graveyard hate that also hoses persist and undying creatures. I was initially worried about the negative synergy with Lingering Souls, but if I need graveyard hate enough to board it in, I'd rather have reliable graveyard hate than the flashback from Lingering Souls. I also dropped Pithing Needle,as, even though it's quite a powerful card, generally my deck wants to be more aggressive and proactive. I added in 3 copies of Duress instead, since I had 3 spots open after moving 1 copy of Kataki, War's Wage to the mainboard. Duress seems versatile by hitting planeswalkers and combo pieces from my opponent's hand. Creatures aren't as much of a concern, since I'm running so many removal spells, so I didn't feel as though Thoughtseize was warranted. Lastly, I replaced the 3 copies of Ceremonious Rejection with an equal number of Disdainful Stroke,which despite costing 1 more mana seems far more reliable and useful in its application. Let me know what you think!
1 week ago
Otherwise, very cool deck. +1
1 week ago
Hi! Love the Faerie idea!
You'd probably be safe cutting:
Rest in Peace(unless your meta is really tricky with the 'yard)
Sigil of the Empty Throne my be considered as a cut. It doesn't work when Zur cheats out enchantments and is higher up on the curve. Still, It's a good card.
Stoneforge Mystic, as good as she is, can probably be cut to focus the deck on faeries. She deserves to be built around.
Nectar Faerie seems kinda weak. You have mostly 1/1 faeries.
Hope this helps! It was difficult; this is a pretty tight list!
P.S. you have the Top but no Land Tax??
1 week ago
Yeah for sure.
I'll stay within budget too.
Wheel of Sun and Moon because
Rest in Peace is expensive for storm decks.
Stony Silence or a couple
Disenchant for affinity.
Ceremonious Rejection for Eldrazi.
Dispel and something like
Sphinx of the Final Word for mirror.
1 week ago
Sweet deck, i think Wrath is more a sideboard card, that would free u the 2 main deck slots. And in the sideboard im missing 2-3 Rest in Peace, i would cut Angels Grace, Holy Day, Blood Baron and Ghostly Prison (I think they still can atack Planeswalkers without paying). Then add the 2 Wraths from the Mainboard and 2 RIP.