Creature — Vampire Soldier
As long as Adanto Vanguard is attacking, it gets +2/+0.
Pay 4 life: Adanto Vanguard gains indestructible until end of turn. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy it.)
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Adanto Vanguard occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.25%
Adanto Vanguard Discussion
1 month ago
Looks fun! Too bad snuggle copter is banned, it'd fit perfect here. I would consider
Pride of Conquerors
, both were horrifically effective during their time in white weenie standard.
Whatever you decide to do, good luck at fnm!
1 month ago
Obviously the mana base could be a little better (shocks, checks, etc) but I understand sometimes budget restrictions get in the way of good mana, however those would dramatically improve the consistency of the deck. Also, since you're gaining so much life, shocks wouldn't be as risky as in other decks (not that they're that bad, but still).
Heroic Intervention is a good card, but you might not need so many in the main board, if any at all. It's a good card if you're already beating your opponent and don't want to lose your advantage, but if you're trying to dig for a good answer it's a bit of a dead card.
I like Pledge of Unity as sort of a budget overrun effect that synergizes really well with your strategy, but again its pretty dead if you don't have any creatures on board. Maybe having just one as a finisher would be better.
I imagine Legion's Landing Flip is there to be able to ramp into Archangel of Thune , which makes sense, however, you might not need 2 of her. She's incredibly powerful, but maybe best as a 1-of. When you draw her, she can win you the game, but if you don't you can still win the game. Does that make sense?
All that being said, maybe mainboard Charming Prince . He's a great card that is low to the ground, helps you dig for what you need, works with your strategy by gaining life and can even give your creatures pseudo-vigilance or trigger their ETB abilities an additional time. He's an amazing utility piece.
And my final recommendation is Adanto Vanguard . Trust me, this card is a lot meaner and more aggressive than it looks.
2 months ago
To me, having Avg.CMC=2.5 you don't need more than 22 lands in the deck. Pulling out 1x Swamp and 1x Plains you could make space for more value plays (e.g. 2x Cruel Celebrant which is fine defense against Tribal-killing board wipes).
3 months ago
Ivanian I do agree that Sram, Senior Edificer may not be the way to go. Probably would rather have more Sixth Sense or just more Adanto Vanguard . Also the lifelink is huge so I'm thinking Gift of Orzhova is the way to go.
6 months ago
6 months ago
Here are some tips:
1) Try to keep deck size down to 60
2) Similar to #1, increase the number of four-ofs to increase consistency between games. (Generally, singles are for decks with tutors/heavy card draw. Your deck has neither so it relies the most on your starting hand). I'd consider cards like Cruel Celebrant , Blood Artist , Cordial Vampire
3) Cards like Call to the Feast shouldn't be 4-ofs because of the mana cost. 4-ofs should be cards that are great both early game and late game, and are part of your core strategy. Remember that high CMC cost cards don't need as many copies. For example, a 5 mana card can only be cast as early as turn 5 (fair decks). Therefore by then you'd have gone through 7+5 (Starting hand+5 draws) cards in your deck to have found it.
6) Increase the number of Champion of Dusk . This is because card draw in black/white is very rare and as a 5-mana cost creature, very good to your mana curve. By the time you amass 5 mana you can cast it, hopefully with quite a few vampires on the field. I'd use 3 of them.
6) Drop Ashes of the Abhorrent , it's not good enough. Enchantments/Artifacts here should buff up your creatures or generate creature tokens. (Creature-focused deck)
7) Remove Cliffhaven Vampire . This is because it's a "win-more" card. Here, it requires you to have a certain board state (aka ability to gain life) for it to be useful. As a general rule, higher mana cost investments should be able to turn around a bad situation (board wipe/etc) or require no boardstate when you cast it (aka "good on its own")
8) Remove Kambal, Consul of Allocation . This is because you don't want your strategy to be dependent on your opponent's (unless this is in your sideboard). What if the opponent is playing a creature deck? It'd be pretty useless.
9) Sanguine Bond 's effect is a little redundant here, we already have enough of this effect on the board
10) I'd consider removing Orzhov Basilica because most of the time you're going to need mana on turn two. I'd hate for your lands to be tapped when they come into play.
6 months ago
Well Colinmjoyce, first off naturally, I've been meaning to replace the Guildgates with the lifegain lands, as those are a straight upgrade, although they are less thematically pleasing. (Let me run and do that real quick. updates deck)
Honestly I am more interested in rotation than M20.
I have been looking through the M20 cards, but, while there are some great new tools, especially for the sideboard, I have not noticed anything pressingly good enough to switch in immediately, the deck is still nicely optimized as is. I have mostly decided to wait until rotation does happen, and then reexamine the deck as a whole. If we do not get Hero's Downfall or something similar in the next set, I don't know if the deck will be viable. It is already jank, but a very effective and finely tuned jank. There are so many planeswalkers right now that losing an instant-speed card that can either answer them or a creature may be too much to recover from. Detection Tower will perhaps be sorely missed as well, but what virtually the entirety of Mono-Blue Tempo rotating, as well as Carnage Tyrant ... it may not be needed. Duress being reprinted was very good. Memorial to War won't really be needed with Search for Azcanta Flip and Legion's Landing Flip rotating out. Dragonskull Summit will be missed, the new scry lands are slower and may make it harder to survive against mono-colored aggro. I have yet to see Lightning Strike reprinted, but that can easily be replaced with some cool new card, or even another Shock , really. The Immortal Sun , although not used often, was always real nice when it resolved and stayed, pretty much locking down the game, so it will be a shame to see it go. Perhaps there will be something suitable in the next set to replace it. Or we can just add Toll of the Invasion , more Angrath's Rampage s, or whatever. Even throwing in a Murder wouldn't hurt. For the moment, I'm good. The deck is still in a good place, and when rotation happens, most of the deck will stay in, from Lava Coil to Drill Bit to Theater of Horrors to Ritual of Soot . (And, especially with Adanto Vanguard rotating out, Moment of Craving can just be replaced with Sorin's Thirst , so even the sideboard is only losing two cards, Fountain of Renewal and The Immortal Sun . Although if Red Aggro goes more midrange after rotation, then I might not replace it with Sorin's Thirst , but rather with some sort of anti-Red card.)
Some good things will come with rotation as well, like Cleansing Nova rotating. Doesn't matter too much, what with Despark and Mortify still being a thing, but at least we will no longer lose Captive Audience , Theater of Horrors , Ill-Gotten Inheritance , and The Immortal Sun all in one go. (Nor will we have an Immortal Sun to lose, either.)
So yeah. M20 didn't really do much for us.
Rotation is likely to help more than hurt, but the exile and lifegain from Vraska's Contempt will be dearly missed.
7 months ago
Ok, so I cracked vampires code on arena. You need Adanto Vanguard , Benalish Marshal , Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord , Skymarcher Aspirant , Vampire of the Dire Moon , and maybe Knight of the Ebon Legion , Godless Shrine