Pay No Heed
Prevent all damage a source of your choice would deal this turn.
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Heroes vs. Monsters (DDL)||Common|
|Magic 2014 (M14)|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Pay No Heed Discussion
3 months ago
Looks pretty good! How's it been playing?
I like the inclusion of Blast Zone , and overall, I'm jealous that you managed to find room for 26 lands, which is 2 more than I can could fit in.
If you're facing burn, a sideboard with Riot Control , Pay No Heed , and/or Sanctimony might be worth considering. Nevermore might also be a powerful tool against many threats. It also occurs to me this sort of deck is maybe 50/50 against mill, putting so many cards into the graveyard and drawing/thinning like crazy. So Elixir of Immortality might be worth considering for the SB, too.
4 months ago
First of all, I like the flavor here.
I really like Beast Within in Defender decks, as most Defenders are 0/4 or tougher. It's so useful against pretty much everything.
Colossus of Akros is arguably a better win-con than Stormtide Leviathan, which won't end the game the turn it swings and is more easily removed. The Leviathan does add a lot more flavor though, and it's tutor-able with Grozoth, so I can see why you're running it and I'm not suggesting you make a change there.
You've got a lot of land here and a lot of mana-dorks. I think you can cut 1-2 lands.
Following the mana-base, in my humble opinion, the two weakest creatures currently included: Jaddi Offshoot and Wall of Roots. Because Axebane and Battlement depend on other Defenders to be really powerful, it's good to have as many solid 1-2CMC Defenders as a possible. I like Wall of Tanglecord because it gives you reach, and with Assault Formation, it's effectively a 6/6. Steel Wall is also pretty good - because it's colorless, you will always be able to cast it on T1, and because it's 0/4, it's harder to remove. Wall of Blossoms is decent for 2CMC, and in my opinion, better than Wall of Roots, which only gives you 1 mana per turn, and only lasts a max of 5 turns while also becoming less and less useful as a blocker.
One major problem I encounter with Defender decks is staying in the game against decks that don't rely on creatures for damage. Stuff like burn, mill, infinite combos, etc can be really difficult to deal with. Therefore, something like Pay No Heed or Riot Control would be useful. Unfortunately, there are no non-combat "fogs" in green that I'm aware of. I see that you've included some counterspells, which will definitely help, but won't necessarily keep you in the game against a barrage of burn spells, etc. There are some other notable spells in white that would be very strong, namely Slaughter the Strong , which my play-mates absolutely abhor. Also a slew of decent Defenders like Perimeter Captain and Wall of Omens . While it's pretty risky to run 3 colors in a budget deck, between the Caryatids and Axebanes, it's a little more possible. Seaside Citadel would also be useful in this regard.
Quest for Renewal might be useful, as it will untap all your dorks on opponent's turns, giving you a lot more blocking power.
++ for Fog Bank. Love that critter.
6 months ago
With Weathered Wayfarer , I think it's drawback would keep it from being played due to this deck's ability to get more lands out than the opponent most of the time. I usually use Maze's End 's ability to tutor gates out. But that means four lands getting tapped and Maze's End going back to my hand. I had Gatecreeper Vine in here at one time. Walking Atlas , Kiora, the Crashing Wave , Oracle of Mul Daya , and Golos, Tireless Pilgrim can all help get even more lands out. Reap and Sow is kind of expensive, but can get out a land while setting your opponent back one, or maybe even a 1x Primeval Titan would help by getting two lands out. Amulet of Vigor can negate the drawbacks of a lot of these cards. There are a lot of options.
Reliquary Tower is a good idea. I like Crucible of Worlds but I don't usually have to discard my lands. When I have to discard it's usually artifacts that end up there. (Usually extra copies of Amulet of Vigor or Chromatic Lantern that I don't have mana to use.)
I agree with taking out Chromatic Lantern . I added those cards back when I first made this deck on here and I thought I'd need them as extra mana fixing and to "smooth out" my mana base. They don't work well though. They're terrible to draw after turn 4 or so.
I'm going to leave the Amulet of Vigor s as they are right now. They're great to have one in your opening hand and even late game they can help out. The only drawback is the fact that you only need one and the others will be dead draws. (Unless your opponent is destroying them. Then the extra is very helpful.)
Maybe some anti - Blood Moon ? That card is bad news for this deck. Chromatic Lantern did help with that, but that's very situational. I just looked at the rulings and Blood Moon does not change their name. It would however, nuke Maze's End . Good thing my only basic lands are Plains .
6 months ago
I think Pay No Heed is pretty good against a lot of burn. I like splitting 4 slots between it and Riot Control, as the lifegain from Riot Control can be pretty useful in long games.
Perhaps Weathered Wayfarer would help tutor up some Gates?
I'm not sure Chromatic Lantern is all the necessary. In 1v1, you only need to cast 1 Fog, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be that hard to get 1x G or W mana producing land down.
6 months ago
I usually see a lot of Fog spells paired with Approach. Riot Control is one of my favorite Fogs because it's one of very few that prevents burn and it gains you life, too. Pay No Heed is another spell to prevent burn. Ethereal Haze and Holy Day are also options.
I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt Growth Spiral at Instant speed is worth the multicolor CMC - Explore would be fine at Sorcery speed. That said I don't think either is particularly good. You'd get more mana-mileage out of Fertile Ground .
I consider Negate one of the best counterspells in the game. You can use removal for everything it doesn't work on. ( Celestial Flare , Blessed Alliance , Beast Within , Generous Gift , Imprisoned in the Moon , Pongify , Ratchet Bomb ) Declaration of Naught might be useful to get your devotion up.
I hope some of this has been helpful!!
9 months ago
- Nyxborn Shieldmate for Boros Reckoner both better creatures and reckoner works amazing with lightmines if u decide to add it
- Palace Guard for Archetype of Aggression
- Darksteel Plate for Whispersilk Cloak since your guys are invincible anyways. this also deters them from being targeted.. boardwipes will still work though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork for Tenza, Godo's Maul if up u this on ur commander hes a 10/7 menance with trample, seems like a better piece
- Armory of Iroas - Sunforger costs a few more mana but u have alot of tricks u can pull out of it for free late game
- Staff of Nin for Mind's Eye
- Avacyn's Collar for Spear of Heliod upgrades all ur doods and makes people scared to attack you
- Manalith for Commander's Sphere an upgrade
- Act of Treason for Faithless Looting card draw with flashback seems always good
- Mass Mutiny - Mob Rule seems like an upgrade
- Miraculous Recovery - Settle the Wreckage amazing board wipe, can really put you ahead. if not interested in a board wipe id suggest maybe a single target removal like Chaos Warp . i feel like you need ways to deal with high pressure threats
- Pay No Heed - Deflecting Palm
- Righteousness for Fight to the Death i know these two cards arent related, but how hilarious would it be to cast this when someone else is combating another player, basically can wipe two players boards if timed proper. if u would prefer to keep a combat trick here i would suggest maybe Gods Willing or something that does not require the creature to be blocking
- Smite - Ride Down
- Warleader's Helix - Savage Beating or Ajani Vengeant i feel helix doesnt provide enough value, for removal it is very weak , if u want good removal to replace this instead of a threats i listed, i would consider Oblivion Ring type cards
- Martial Glory - Boros Charm charm is must include, so much value! protect from boardwipes including land destruction! removal or maybe boost ur commander after blocks with a double strike if some1 is already been hit once and hello 21 commander dmg
10 months ago
Oblivion Ring is incredibly useful. Highly recommend.
This deck is close to Pauper. Might be worth considering going in that direction instead of Modern.
Love Riot Control - I don't know if people realize this, but it's one of very few spells that say "prevent all damage" vs "prevent all combat damage. That makes RC waaaay more useful! And you get to gain life! Wow!! In that same vein of though. you might consider Pay No Heed over Shielded Passage .
I think Oppressive Rays is better than Pacifism . Lower CMC and it disrupts activated abilities. In my experience, people seem to subconciously consider creatures I've enchanted with OR as completely non-functional. 3 is just too high a cost - in most cases people will get more out of 3 mana just playing new spells.
Suture Priest might be worth considering.
You've got a decent number of Enchantments going. Ethereal Armor might be worth considering.
Mentor of the Meek would probably draw you some cards. I hate the cost, but it repeatable.