Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Planeswalker — Elspeth
+1: Put Three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
-3: Destroy all creatures with power 4 or greater.
-7: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have flying."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Cardhoarder (MTGO) Price||Normal||Foil|
|19.31 TIX||33.8 TIX|
|Have (19)||almerican , Unforgivn_II , Liarz0 , Champloo , mcstang1986 , dhoby87 , thegigibeast , Est19XX , greenkingwashere , Philosophy-in-Blue , kyuuri117 , TrystonSpencer , HalcyonMTG , Fatred , Robbie051 , dbp512 , BlackLusterLotus , YamaArashi , Oldmannopants|
|Want (18)||sonnet666 , Welldasgood , BlueSlime , Kryzis , Stvarosh , TheRedMage , AlwaysHarmony , UpperDeckerTaco , SuperAshura , KiljoyQ , savarkumar , Xunfor6iv3nX , ozzar , Dr.Kourin , mikiizu , blackknight1239 , Prettyfun , greyninja|
Elspeth, Sun's Champion Discussion
5 hours ago
In my opinion, -4 swan song, -4 howl of the horde, -4 taigam's scheming, -2 temporal trespass, -4 riddle of lightning. +4 Magma Jet, +4 Lightning Strike, +4 Jeskai Charm, +1 anger of the gods, +1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion, +1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker, +3 Divination
9 hours ago
Pricey as in thoughtseize and downfall... im assuming haha. Try Banishing Light/Despise/Murderous Cut/Erase(SB)/Glare of Heresy(SB). A few creatures i think would play nice is Wingmate Roc/ and Herald of Torment. If you can manage to get planeswalkers... Elspeth, Sun's Champion/ Sorin, Solemn Visitor/ and Ajani Steadfast. As of now i feel its a little too heavy on the creature side, try some of the removal i mentioned. And of course planeswalkers are game changers. Elsepeth deals with big creatures and of course increases your side of the battlefield. Ajani is just a cool turn 4 creature pumper/ lifegain-er. Sorin is amazing as he creature boosts and gains you life. Wingmate roc is a nice mid game flyer and gains you some life. People argue he is too high of a mana cost for bw but i think he is perfect for it. herald of torment is cool since its turn 3 flyer or turn 5 booster for something like brutal hordchief. This is just my opinion though, i run abzan and have good experience with all the cards i mentioned. Hope the suggestions helped
1 day ago
Rasta_Viking29- As to why i think Esper will be the most viable control shell is simple. Getting access to 3 cards as simple win cons, 2x Silumgar, the Drifting Death and 1x new silumgar maybe, or 1x new Ojutai. It also has access to the best board wipes, ie, 1 Perilous Vault and 3 Crux of Fate. It gets Bile Blight, Hero's Downfall, Drown in Sorrow, and Murderous Cut. It still keeps a good late game with Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, Elspeth, Sun's Champion and the dragons, and still has access to counterspells such as Dissolve and Disdainful Stroke. It gets access to SB cards such as the new radiant purge and old spells like Glare of Heresy and potentially Erase depending on the matchups/meta. It also will have access to Ojutai's command and presumably the command from Silumgar's side. While losing Sultai Charm, Kiora, the Crashing Wave and Garruk, Apex Predator, you gain more control elements. However, it isn't outlandish to say that Everything but red control could work.
1 day ago
I don't think he (Buttergolem) realizes this is an EDH deck? Most owork in 1v1. Kaalia of the Vast doesn't seem to be needed, except maybe, to prevent Avacyn, Angel of Hope from getting countered, still I think that slot could have something better in it. Another planeswalker could be fun: Sorin Markov could be great, because you can put someone at 10 life, although it requires 3 black mana, Sorin, Solemn Visitor seems good too. There's 3 other options with Ajani, I like Ajani Vengeant in this case. Elspeth, Sun's Champion always works and so would Liliana Vess and of course Ugin, the Spirit Dragon. I'm not the biggest fan of planeswalkers myself, because they are all such big targets, but i think they can add a bit of flavor. Anyway, Awesome deck, been playtesting it against my Narset deck and it's an interesting match up.
2 weeks ago
Elspeth, Sun's Champion is also a 6-mana card, though. Is it still balanced to have +2/+2 and global hexproof?
2 weeks ago
I like the Whip of Erebos in my deck, or at least the side. it is a game changer in two of our weakest matches. Control, and the mirror/ abzan midrange. Midrange runs threats such as Elspeth, Sun's Champion, while our threats are 1 and 2 drops. We don't have high toughness dudes, like Courser of Kruphix or Sylvan Caryatid. Whip gives us the advantage of using our creatures twice.
in the control matchup, it does the same thing, if we resolve it.
2 weeks ago
Maybe Spirit Beasts or Wolf tokens? Also, if he's "mended," wouldn't that mean he's jusr back to as normal? I'm not sure about his abilities...they almost seem mono-white in both function and flavor.
Whoever said this is weak though...I disagree. It's not broken, but a 4-drop walker who's +1 is to make two tokens with flying, is decent. He can also remove basically anything. And his ult is kind of like Elspeth, Sun's Champion in that it's game-ending if there are creatures on board. That said, I don't really think this flavor is quite suited to Garruk, who would never go white. Ever.
2 weeks ago
I would abandon cards that serve a limited function, like Congregate.
You can find cards that serve a similar function, but also have other applications. Riot Control, Exsanguinate, Death Grasp, and Debt to the Deathless can all gain you as much or more life, but also prevent damage or damage your opponents. They last 3 combo well with Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood as well.
I also feel cards like Crystal Ball, Trepanation Blade, Treasure Cruise, Read the Bones, Sword of Fire and Ice, and Elspeth, Sun's Champion are not doing you any favors. They seem out of place in your deck, or have cards that are much more efficient.
Consider cards replacing them with cards like Rhystic Study, Staff of Nin, or Mind's Eye for card draw, and cards like Beacon of Immortality, Invincible Hymn, and Celestial Mantle to get more use out of your win condition cards.
You also have Banishing Light and Dictate of Heliod that could easily be replaced with cards like Vindicate, Utter End, True Conviction, Sunbond, and Cradle of Vitality. Not to mention you have access to Demonic Tutor, Diabolic Tutor, and Vampiric Tutor.
You also have access to really good creature cards like Angel of Despair, Ashen Rider, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Felidar Sovereign, Grand Abolisher, Kokusho, the Evening Star, Purity, Resolute Archangel, Rhox Faithmender, Serra Ascendant, Serra Avatar, and Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter.
If you focus more on a specific goal, and cut out the cards that don't play into that win condition, you will have better luck finishing games. Rather than weigh each card individually to determine if it is a good card, compare the cards you put in your deck to any other card that could take it's place, and decide if being a "good card" specifically means it is a "good fit".
|Avg. draft pick||2.06|
|Avg. cube pick||1.7|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Kiora||Mythic Rare|
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Akroan Crusader + Hammer of Purphoros
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Jace, Architect of Thought + Kiora, the Crashing Wave
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Master Biomancer
- Brimaz, King of Oreskos + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Eidolon of Countless Battles + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Ephara's Enlightenment
- Archangel of Thune + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Ogre Battledriver
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Indestructibility
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Indestructibility + Planar Cleansing
- Purphoros, God of the Forge + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Akroan Hoplite + Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Phalanx Leader
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Voice of Resurgence
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Xenagos, the Reveler
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Teysa, Orzhov Scion
- Catapult Master + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Ajani Steadfast + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Precinct Captain + Raise the Alarm
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Soul of Theros
- Athreos, God of Passage + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + The Chain Veil
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Garruk, Apex Predator + Nissa, Worldwaker
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Phalanx Leader + Raise the Alarm
- Anax and Cymede + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Mentor of the Meek
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Sorin, Solemn Visitor
- Ajani, Mentor of Heroes + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Courser of Kruphix + Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Hero's Downfall
- Butcher of the Horde + Dictate of Erebos + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Dictate of Erebos + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Butcher of the Horde + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Polukranos, World Eater + Xenagos, the Reveler
- Elspeth, Knight-Errant + Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Riptide Replicator
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Siege Rhino
- Altar of the Brood + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Butcher of the Horde + Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Tymaret, the Murder King
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Sigil Captain
- Cathars' Crusade + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Mirrorweave
- Ajani Steadfast + Elspeth, Sun's Champion + The Chain Veil
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Nissa, Worldwaker + Sorin, Solemn Visitor
- Banishing Light + Elspeth, Sun's Champion
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Harsh Sustenance
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Sorin, Solemn Visitor + Wingmate Roc
- Brimaz, King of Oreskos + Elspeth, Sun's Champion + Goblin Rabblemaster