|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs Kiora||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Upticking a planes walker on my endstep
- Does Doubling Season second ability work for Planeswalkers as well?
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion Question
- Balefire attacking Planeswalker
- Can my opponent kill my planeswalker in responce to me using one of its loyalty effects after its cast to prevent me from getting to use it?
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Planeswalker — Elspeth
+1: Put Three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
-3: Destroy all creatures with power 4 or greater.
-7: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have flying."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (33)||ironax , HR19 , tlhunter07 , mcstang1986 , ibraJG84 , CoolBeansBrattah , robbnoble , jhTheMan99 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , perrin515 , warcry02 , REV666 , gosora , Roadhog , ChrisH , Puzzlemayor , saj0219 , Antiat , geazykagar , jparker-sartori21 , KipIsKosher , Gabeph , thetechzombie , Archegos , ShishkyBob , Swamy , DruneGrey , RazortoothMtg , gildan_bladeborn , MorningGlory45 , Forkbeard , Zomgasa , Oloro_Magic|
|Want (7)||Sasuin , Turtlelover73 , philktoken8998 , Nemesis , fireborne1986 , dplerner , sonnet666|
Elspeth, Sun's Champion Discussion
1 day ago
A few non-standard includes here that I think are neat:
- Frontline Medic as another Iraos effect is neat.
- Jazal Goldmane as an alternative (and cheaper!) Pathbreaker Ibex is really cool
- Grave Titan seems pretty spicey for Saskia tokens. Seeing it here, I now wonder why it's run so little.
The mana base here seems extremely greedy. Only 1 mana rock and 36 lands for a 4.2 average CMC just seems a little too inconsistent.
Some possible adds:
- Odric, Master Tactician gives another way to push through damage without losing board presence.
- Brutal Hordechief (which you removed from the precon) may be worth another look for the same reason
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal lets you share some of the powerful keywords like Flying and Deathtouch
- Samut, Voice of Dissent is another haste enabler that can also share a reasonable keyword salad
- Elspeth, Sun's Champion can both produce tokens and provide a mostly one-sided board wipe
- Gahiji, Honored One is both a pump effect and can incentivize your opponents to attack each other
- Heliod, God of the Sun is msotly just going to be a vigilence enabler. I think its 4-mana "make one kind of crappy token" ability is a trap in Saskia (even though I love it in other decks)
- Sire Of Insanity seems worse at doing its job than the Conqueror's Flail that you removed from the stock list. Saskia tends to hold more cards than you'd think.
- Archetype of Aggression is mostly granting trample to things that aren't likely to use it very well. Most of your mass buffs that would make it useful grant trample anyway.
- Lurking Predators with only 29 creatures and no other top manipulation seems pretty ambitious. I get that it can filter away lands, but I can't imagine where you wouldn't rather just draw a threat instead.
- Mystic Barrier really hurts you when you have a wide board and draw mass pump. It's cute, and I fully support running it as a fun card, but it's usually going to hurt you more than help.
- Mardu Strike Leader seems right on the edge of worth it. Seems like a meta call, but it probably wouldn't feel terrible to lose it.
4 days ago
You are definantly on the right track with the Knight Exemplars. I have them in my white knight/soldier deck.
I have Elspeth, Sun's Champion in my deck also. The only problem with her for this deck is that she produces soldiers, but so does your Hero of Bladehold. Elspeth, Knight-Errant is great aswell! maybe trade one suns champion for a knight-errant?
Your Kinsbaile Cavalier is KILLER. For double strike in my deck how ever, i went with True Conviction. Its kinda pricey as far as mana goes but its all creatures get double strike and life link. That encludes the tokens your Hero makes as wellas Elspeths.
The students of warfare are also nice, and interesting. I use them my self aswell.I personally have the old White Knight in my deck, mostly for theme purposes, but hes nice on his own.
Good to have the control cards, they come in handy.
Over all great deck for your first white knight. Probably better than mine.
5 days ago
All three of the cards you mention are great value cards, but that means you would have to drop some value cards. Personally I would drop Hero of Bladehold for one of these pieces, so lets run through them.
Sun Titan would warrant playing Emeria, The Sky Ruin for more recursion and even Alesha, Who Smiles at Death would work then. It is a big threat that can bring back a valuable piece when facing removal. The con is that you play a decent number of big creatures that Sun Titan can't get and Sun Titan is more of a build around card in my opinion though it would work in the deck.
Elspeth, Sun's Champion is soooooo much value. The most powerful thing in magic is choice and she provides tons of that, she sweeps threats, creates tokens, and then buffs for what is likely just a win. Her cons are she will be immediately targeted when coming down and needs a solid field to be sustainable, and she tends to lend herself to more controlling decks as a value engine, but that is exactly what she is, crazy value.
Aurelia, the Warleader is a "I win" card. You will only ever really play it when by doing so you win. She sync's the best of the three cards with the beatdown strategy, and the devotion she provides to Purphoros, God of the Forge and potentially Iroas, God of Victory is insane. An interesting combo with her is with Selfless Spirit (not necessary just kinda cool and I thought you'd like to hear about it even though it isn't necessary for the deck) where you play her and sac the spirit to get two combats with indestructible creatures.
I'd be more than happy to help out with the sideboard but first I need to know what decks are played in your meta, what do you expect to be facing: graveyard, control, agro, burn, combo, etc.
5 days ago
1 week ago
@neosapien sorry for the late reply, but yes, control decks tend to run a higher land count (some even as high as 27) whereas burn decks tend to run fewer (some as few as 16). It all comes down to how high your curve goes. Even though for individual cards the highest cmc in this deck is 6, due to the nature of the deck I want to hold up a counterspell or killspell on their turn after casting my 6 drop. In this example, If I wanted to cast Elspeth, Sun's Champion and hold up enough mana for Cryptic Command on their turn, I'd need 10 mana, which is what I consider to be the 'top' of my curve. In order to get to 10 mana, I need to run a higher land count than a lot of other decks.
1 week ago
Oloro_Magic I also stated "cheap mana costing planeswalker" but regardless the reason I want Elspeth, Knight-Errant over Elspeth, Sun's Champion is their mana cost. By turn 4-5 i really need a walker down most games and although Elspeth, Sun's Champion is incredibly powerful I don't think it belongs in this deck because I don't want to run mana-rocks to counteract her steep cost. Regardless the fact that I can use knight to pump my own creatures whenever I want (as they are all going to be at the same power and toughness without the buff) is valuable so i can chump block some big stuff or gain more life with Shambling Vent
1 week ago
1 week ago
You say in your overview you eliminated the other Elspeth's because to produce tokens it is a minus ability but Elspeth, Sun's Champion's token gen is a plus ability.