|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Sphere of Safety
Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays X for each of those creatures, where X is the number of enchantments you control.
|Have (8)||anonymausguy , mlouden03 , awalloftext , mymanpotsandpans , Kvothe1115 , mentor6 , MrCrazzyc , ironax|
|Want (44)||joshw335 , athix , coadster , Liquicitizen , Flame213 , snoopywashere , Tomasaa , CryAll , mgoodwi5 , Fullmetalmage , Commonomicon , MasterRoach117 , mtgtim , Chabert , itskevinmiller , bryanmochi , SupremeRNB , eleventhend , Korevana , zephyrmoth , dontjudgemyusername , XVicarious , colorfulsnailboy , Xz0mb13x91 , Vukodlak , obitus , kovellen , jkdhfgui , MstrbtnManatee , guimuave , chucklebot , Skydra2 , Schwiggity , Cunningcrow , Animale , jbriedis , Elphane , zomburs , tristanishappy , Dragonsound , THP88 , klokwurk , dtfer , kungfurabbi|
Sphere of Safety Discussion
21 hours ago
Hey! Welcome to the world of deck building!! I hope you enjoy your stay. For a first attempt at deckbuilding I will say this is quite impressive, you have avoided the primary mistake I see a lot which is over saturating on 1-of's. In making my suggestions I am going to assume that you are trying to stick to a budget.
First off, do you have an idea of what format you are going to be playing? Is it just casual? I ask because bar Counterspell this deck is modern legal.
The first major upgrade I can see is replacing the Orbs of Warding with Thunderstaff which is just cheaper and easier to cast on curve, and likely 2 at that cutting a land, in fact I would go down to 23 lands, 30 is going to result in quite a bit of flooding. To make up for the hexproof lost you can play a 1 of Witchbane Orb .
Moving on to creatures (with the cut lands we would have 4 extra slots still) I would cut the Blazing Archon for a Silent Arbiter ; I know the effect is slightly different however the body on Arbiter makes it effective and easier to cast, plus you don't really need to be swinging with multiple Angels a turn in the late game to win. I would also cut the 4 Suture Priest as they don't add too much to the deck, and make some space for enchantments and more prison like creatures, Burrenton Forge-Tender , Eidolon of Rhetoric , and Kami of False Hope all come to mind as options.
The counters I don't see as necessary, sure they are fine but I would prioritize removal over anything, so ideally Path to Exile , but cards like Declaration in Stone , Oblivion Ring , and Journey to Nowhere make solid replacements.
On to the enchantments themselves, I would cut one Privileged Position (thats 5 free slots), two seems a bit much considering it doesn't do a ton. With the blank slots I would up both Ghostly Prison and Sphere of Safety to 4 each as they truly are your best cards. With the 3 remaining slots I would consider a couple of 1-of's as alternate win-cons such as Sigil of the Empty Throne and Starfield of Nyx . With the last slot Runed Halo (which has fallen all the way to $4 from $30) is a card I would consider as it can answer that one big problem you cant stop.
Another consideration you may want to undertake is dropping the blue and instead adding green, Satyr Enchanter would function well here, providing you with an engine for the long game. Another consideration could be Overwhelming Splendor which admittedly is just funny.
The mana base is fine, although it could use an upgrade, for budget reasons I assume fetch lands are out of the equation, however a couple utility lands cannot hurt such as Memorial to Genius , Kabira Crossroads , and 4 Ghost Quarter .
I wish you the best of luck! If you need any help or clarification just tag me in a comment.
1 day ago
4 days ago
Good concept for a deck, but way too few lands; every time I've playtested your deck I've only been able to consistently hit the first two land drops. A control deck like yours might want more lands than average, perhaps 24-27, but if you insist on a below average land amount at least up it to 19 lands. To fit these extra lands in, I recommend cutting Assemble the Legion (too slow), Rest in Peace , or Blind Obedience (too situational, though both of those cards would fit well into your sideboard, as they can completely nerf some decks). If you do cut those, then you should also consider cutting out Sphere of Safety , since you'll have fewer enchantments so it'll be less effective. If you get more slots open, I'd also recommend fitting in an Idyllic Tutor somewhere, as it can help you assemble your Possibility Storm + Curse of Exhaustion combo much more easily. Hope that helps!
1 week ago
Hey, fellow 'Laddie brewer! Stopping by to suggest some ideas to your deck.
It looks like you're mostly trying to go wide with tokens, and occasionally punish with big bois, or all the big bois. I noticed you have several token makers, but not enough big bois to make tokens of, or copy makers themselves. In this scope, allow me to suggest a few cards and possible pieces you could directly replace. These suggestions are rather minor as I don't want to change the scope of the deck entirely, as it should still be yours. :)
- Trading Post in for Whirlermaker : 4 mana and tap to make a dude is too expensive. A better option is to put in good ol' Trading Post as it makes a 0/1 goat for 1 mana and 1 life. Remember that life is a resource too, and at 40 in EDH, 1 life won't make that much of a difference. Besides, Trading Post does it all! Draws a card, recurs artifacts, creates tokens, and gains life. Excellent piece for any artifact deck.
- Cyclonic Rift for Aether Gale : This is the first big money upgrade I'm suggesting. I understand if you want to maintain a budget, but consider splurging on a CyRift if you see the chance to trade for one or come across some extra dineros. It bounces EVERYTHING except for your big bad bois, so you can swing out and win.
- Chaos Warp : Izzet suffers from the ability to remove enchantments or exiling in general (other than very few spells like Lava Coil or Curse of the Swine , two cards you also may want to consider as removal), so having a card that can hit anything is imperative. Chaos Warp at $2ish does just that. At instant speed! Oh, I'm about to get swung at with an unblockable Blightsteel Colossus ? Nope that noise. They've got Propaganda or Sphere of Safety ? Tuck it away! Thus, your chances to win increase even more. Like your number of tokens.
- Twinflame : Cheap copy maker, and you can make even more copies of more things, but only one is enough for Laddie to create an army. It's a bulk-ish card so it shouldn't hurt the budget.
- Desolation Twin : Another bulk card that makes a token on entry?? Excuse me?? Yup. Gives you a free 10/10 token on arrival that Brudiclad would like to use as a template. No annihilator, though, but an army of 10/10s is NOTHING to laugh at.
- Master of Etherium : A cheap, stronger, yet more vulnerable alternative to Darksteel Juggernaut. For three mana, its P/T is also equal to the number of artifacts you control, but it gets better. Other artifacts you control get +1/+1, meaning that EVERY Master of Etherium buffs the rest, giving you effectively twice as much power as the same number of Darksteel Juggernauts. And the cheap mana cost means you can pay to make a token of it on the same turn, then swing out with 10 tokens with 19/19. That's death. lol
- Flameshadow Conjuring : This card's worth a couple of bucks, but it's an enchantment that makes a token of anything you play for red. One mana. That's it. With Etherium Sculptor out, you would pay full price for a big beater AND a token of it that Lad is going to replicate. This card sees plenty of hate, so be way of when you play. Also, the token goes away at end of turn, so make
- Dance of Many : Old, cheap enchantment (costs UU to play) that makes a copy of ANYTHING on the board. Has a UU maintenance cost at the upkeep, but it doesn't matter if you already made other copies and swung with them all.
I invite you to look at (my build)[http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/brudiclad-the-big-bad-boi-builder/] and compare lists for ideas. Again, I didn't suggest many changes because I don't want to take away from the deck; it should still be yours. Lemme know what you think of these changes!
1 week ago
I don't know a bunch about white, but if your opponent somehow gets through and destroys your Blind Obedience then Authority of the Consuls seems like a nice back up plan. Also, I think expect Ghostly Prison + Sphere of Safety seems like it would make every one of your opponent's combat phases pretty brutal.
2 weeks ago
@ MCJennings , I can see the problem you have with Venser here... I do have the same problem and usually use him as a wincon only --> blinking the Illusions of Grandeur to gift it multiple times. That is unless I can protect him with the Sphere of Safety I have in my list.
Decree of Silence really is an evil card when paired with Solemnity . If this is on the board you usually have won the game... I had it in my own deck for a long time.. until my opponents where so mad about this combo that I needed to switch it out for something else :D
Pendrell Mists also seems to be a rather valuable card if you don't play to many creatures and don't want to have your opponents to have them aswell... I'm fearing only that this card might be provoce a lot of hate on the side of your enemies, making you to a great target. If that is fine for you though... go for it! Let them suffer :D
Null Chamber is a card I thought to put into my own deck from time to time allready... It's just so plitical and you can arrange yourself with another player what cards to be called, denying your opponents multiple ressources. The chamber would be much better than Nevermore in that case >:)
2 weeks ago
@ griffstick , thank you for your suggestions! I think you might be right about the Library of Leng ... The only reason it is in the deck was because of Wild Research , to counteract its discard-effect. In combination with Temple Bell you had a 100% guarantee to get the card you tutored for. This was exspecially nescessary as I had Nexus of Fate as a wincondition in the deck and needed to tutor it up on every turn using the research/temple bell/library combination... As the Nexus isn't in the deck anymore, I think I can cut it from the list. It's sad though, as I kinda like this card :'(
Looking at the Sphere of Safety I kinda disagree with you. This might depend on my meta though, as nearly everyone is playing tokenbased strategies... Being the only person in blue I'm often being targeted by the more aggressive players. Even if the Sphere taxes my opponents only about 3-4 mana for every attacking creature, they are usually looking another way, where they can use their token-army at full advantage. The Sphere also seems to be the only way to protect my Venser, the Sojourner , who becomes very important in the lategame. Last but not least the Sphere goes very well with Enchanted Evening , making it nearly impossible to attack me at all if my opponent doesn't have infinite mana at hand. In short: I really do like the Sphere in the deck! :)
Still you helped me out a lot! Thank you for your time and your angagement :) I am one step further, now there's only one more to take!
2 weeks ago
Sphere of Safety occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.09%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.21%
W/U (Azorius): 0.32%
GW (Selesnya): 0.09%
GWU (Bant): 0.41%
RBW (Mardu): 0.18%
W/U/B (Esper): 0.16%
RUW (Jeskai, America): 0.41%
RGW (Naya): 0.11%