|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Uncommon|
|Return to Ravnica||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Sphere of Safety
Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays X for each of those creatures, where X is the number of enchantments you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sphere of Safety Discussion
2 hours ago
yes, Marchesa's Decree cost one more but:
It isn't black mana hungry (well, this deck is a four color deck afterall)
It somewhat protects my planeswalkers from token massive army
It doesn't cost me life over time
The story for Codex Shredder is different:
this little artifact can totally hose an end of turn Vampiric Tutor and the like.
The mana rocks are here to help me ramp so I can lockdown the game much faster.
10 hours ago
You probably want to hit edit and change deck type to commander so it doesn't say your deck is illegal. While I am at it, I will pelt you with some of my personal favorite U/W cards I know of. Like Daxos of Meletis. Since your using blue and white together, you have to make use of the blue and white cards as they are generally better than mono-colored cards.
I love Sphere of Safety but your deck needs to be well near 80% enchantments for it to be worth it. Dissipation Field is more up your ally. People wont attack you when they know there creatures get sent right back.
Other than that, your well on your way! With the number of flying creatures you have, its worth noting that Stormtide Leviathan can mean you win the game. So if you add anything, this and Wall of Denial are your two best bets.
If you have any questions, white and blue are my favorite colors so hit me up!
16 hours ago
I'd suggest having only one copy of a certain Planeswalker (i.e. only one Liliana, one Gideon, etc.) in order to avoid the Planeswalker uniqueness rule. Liliana, the Last Hope is great in Standard, and pretty good in Modern, but if you're playing multiplayer EDH she's kinda just meh. Yeah, her ultimate can get out of hand, but speaking as a fellow Superfriends player, you have a pretty big target on your back already, and a Lili ultimate is probably gonna draw the hate of all your friends pretty quickly.
Take out the mana dorks. Noble Hierarch doesn't really make sense to have in the deck since the Exalted trigger is useless. Birds of Paradise can stay, but I'd probably fill it's spot with something like Glistener Elf or Blighted Agent for other win-conditions.
I'd suggest dropping the Signets and going for Chromatic Lantern instead. Fixes all of your mana permanently.
I think having Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor are more relevant than Idyllic Tutor and Enlightened Tutor. I also suggest dropping most of your enchantments, especially Greater Auramancy and Sphere of Safety. You don't really run enough enchantments to warrant both of those cards, unless you were gonna play something like Enchanted Evening, but I feel that takes away from the efficiency of the deck. Instead, I'd add in Parallel Lives, since it doubles up on your Doubling Season effects.
You need to have The Chain Veil
Inspiring Call is kinda meh. Ditch it for something more relevant.
20 hours ago
Questions: why are you running Marchesa's Decree, Codex Shredder, and so many mana rocks? I think your deck would be better with more enchantments to replace those, especially because Sphere of Safety would work better. It's your deck, do what you want, I would just make some different decisions...
1 day ago
Vow of Flight, Vow of Wildness, Vow of Lightning, and Vow of Duty to prevent your own commander from swinging back into your own face while still being an offensive powerhouse. Assault Suit also fulfills this role.
Prismatic Geoscope is a great budget way to massively ramp out in a 5-color list.
Commander's Sphere is great at fixing your mana, and popping it for card draw is always useful lategame.
Tempt with Discovery is a nice group hug card that helps everyone ramp out, but mostly you. The fact that it can grab ANY land, and not just basics, is critical in a 5-color decklist.
2 days ago
I have a W/B Enchantments deck, and currently I run 2x Daxos the Returned in it. Now of course, since Daxos is from Commander 2015, he is not Modern Legal. However, he plays a pivotal role in the deck, as I use the tokens he generates to boost Sphere of Safety.
Basically, can anyone think of a worthy, Modern-legal substitute for this card? I myself cannot think of something, and so I look upon others to assist me. I can't quite find something that fits so perfectly, but unfortunately Commander sets aren't legal in Modern and so I am stuck in a predicament.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
4 days ago
5 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!