Multikicker (You may pay an additional any number of times as you cast this spell.)
Creatures you control get +1/+1.
When Marshal's Anthem enters the battlefield, return up to X target creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield, where X is the number of times Marshal's Anthem was kicked.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Marshal's Anthem Discussion
5 days ago
Hey, thanks for the information! I didn't know that Amonkhet was rumored to be Warrior-heavy. I'm gonna hold off of building my own Warrior deck (Unstoppable Warrior Tribal Input Welcome!) in light of this new info. I, too, started with a rough list such as this, and have whittled mine down to what I hope would be a competitive loadout- though obviously different than your own due to color identity of Commander. If you're anything like myself, I'm aggro focused- so Recursion is in the back of my mind, but not at all my focus. I don't care if I'm losing creatures from my horde, I've got more haha (as such, I'd personally not play Phyrexian Reclamation, Palace Siege, Marshal's Anthem (though I do run that one in my anthem Iroas Boros EDH), etc.) I also feel that Take Up Arms is a poor card, way too expensive for what you're getting. Mardu Charm is fine, but Aggro decks like ours need more removal than anything, and there are better 3-drop choices that could be made. Anyway, good luck! Feel free to give me any feedback on any of my decks too, I'm excited to see what the new sets will have now, thanks again!
1 month ago
Thanks for the info. No tutors...that's really rough, it pretty much makes getting through your deck a slog fest. I'd at least consider running one or two tutors that are in your budget - Call the Gatewatch, Diabolic Tutor, Dark Petition (if you are going to just run one, this is the one I'd go with), and Increasing Ambition.
Here comes the book, I hope you're in the mood to read...From what I can see, the deck is mainly trying to win by ticking players down by enough to get them in a range where they can reasonably be hit by an Exsanguinate effect.
Here are some general tips that I can give you:
1.) Add a lot of cards that draw you cards even if they seem minuscule. Since you are not going to run tutors (or run a very limited amount of them) you need ways to get through your deck. My suggestions for some slots would be Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, Underworld Connections, Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, Ob Nixilis Reignited, Bloodgift Demon, Ancient Craving, Ambition's Cost, Read the Bones, Erebos, God of the Dead, and Skullclamp. Karlov of the Ghost Council and your many life gain cards should easily be able to mitigate the losses you take from the aforementioned draw spells.
2.) Get rid of the gimmicky extort creatures. Although at first it seems nice to get incrimental advantage with these from Karlov, but its just not enough to warrant slots in your list. B and W in EDH are colors that have a plethora of extrememly powerful EDH cards and you do not want to waste your slots this easily. Keep powerful cards like Crypt Ghast; Blood Baron of Vizkopa; and the souls sisters, but cards that are extort vanillas are no good.
But how will we win without a critical mass of creatures, you ask...
3.) Simply add cards that generate tokens to the deck! Tokens have so many advantages including blanking your opponent's spot removal, adding benefits to the soul sisters, are great in conjunction with mass pump spells like True Conviction or Dictate of Heliod, protect you and your planeswalkers easily, and are great at holding down the board until you can cast your GIANT Exsanguinate!!! Some examples of great cards to add would be Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Increasing Devotion, Spectral Procession, Conqueror's Pledge, Secure the Wastes, White Sun's Zenith, Hero of Bladehold, Lingering Souls, Midnight Haunting, Luminarch Ascension, Kjeldoran Outpost, Martial Coup, Heliod, God of the Sun, and Thraben Doomsayer.
If you would like to know how I would run Karlov of the Ghost Council with your budget as a comparison, I would be more than happy to help you out by posting an example decklist.
Hope that helps and don't forget your Orzhov Signet!
2 months ago
- Emmara Tandris ("indestructible" tokens, what's not to like?)
- Requiem Angel (note that it doesn't care if the creatures were tokens)
- Growing Ranks (Populate)
- Spirit Bonds (allows you to pay to get an spirit and to sac an spirit and protect a guy)
- Honden of Life's Web (If you decide to use it, get at least Honden of Seeing Winds as well)
- Omnath, Locus of Rage (great creature for K&T since you'll probably get 2 free 5/5 elementals per turn... and if they die you get to damage people)
- Zendikar's Roil (same thing, but 2/2 elementals)
- Rampaging Baloths (same thing, but 3/3 beasts)
- Emeria Angel (same thing, but 1/1 flying birds)
- Retreat to Emeria (same thing, but 1/1 Kor Allies)
- Sporemound (same thing, but 1/1 saprolings)
- Khalni Gem (interesting/cheap ramp tool that allows you to replay some lands)
- Khalni Heart Expedition (another easy ramp for K&T)
- Meloku the Clouded Mirror allows you to tap a land and return it to your hand to get an easy token
- Explore: small ramp and draw card.
- Zendikar Resurgent effectively doubles your mana pool. You could also go with Dictate of Karametra if you do not care about opponents getting double mana as well, but it could be more dangerous
- Honden of Seeing Winds passive card draw is very neat
- Fecundity is great in a token-based deck.
- Military Intelligence is another good card if you plan to swarm the field
BUFFING YOUR CREATURES
- Thunderfoot Baloth (+2/+2 and trample)
- Assault Formation (turns K&T into an 8/8 creature and allows you to buff your guys)
- Intangible Virtue (only buffs your tokens, but also gives them vigilance)
- Archetype of Courage / Archetype of Imagination / Archetype of Endurance (I do not recommend Archetype of Aggression in a token-based deck)
- True Conviction (oh, so pretty. Double strike and lifelink are brutal)
- Spear of Heliod (doubles as a threat to someone trying to attack you)
- Marshal's Anthem gets you some creatures back and buffs them afterwards
- Skullwinder is a very political card, as well as Dawnbreak Reclaimer
- Reincarnation is a cute and can be quite useful.
- Seasons Past gets you a bunch of cards back in the late game
- Emeria Shepherd plays well with the landfall strategy (I'd recommend switching to a more -based deck for it to become even better)
- Wave of Reckoning that comes with the deck is a nice removal since it won't remove your commander from the table.
- Vandalblast for the Overload cost is simply amazing.
- Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer is kinda bad. He can only bribe 1 creature per turn and if he dies, the bribery token has no effect.
- Orzhov Advokist saves you for a turn, then makes everything worse... :C
- Realm Seekers. Yes, they get quite big quite easily, but not all that useful since they do not have trample/reach/vigilance/anything)
- Sakura-Tribe Elder is better suited for decks that get lots of graveyard recursion (making him reusable).
- Farseek is more expensive than Rampant Growth because it can get you a nonbasic Mountain/Forest/Plains/Island. Since you are not running those, you could stick with just Rampant
- Seeds of Renewal (there are better ways of getting cards back, check my "RECOVERING CARDS" section)
- Shamanic Revelation (check "DRAW ENGINE")
- Sphere of Safety (unless you run 10+ enchantments, I'd say it's not that good)
- Reins of Power (I'd say, go with Illusionist's Gambit or Mirror Match)
- Benefactor's Draught (not all that useful in my opinion. Even though it might give you some cards and put someone in your debt, I don't see much point)
- Arcane Denial (meh. Bad counter. If you really want to use a counter, try something along the lines of a Dissipate or Mana Leak)
- Prismatic Geoscope. At first I really liked this card, but when I realized it enters the battlefield tapped, I felt betrayed hahaha. I'd run a Signet in your prominent colors or a Darksteel Ingot instead.
2 months ago
Some decent duals in these colors: Caves of Koilos, Shambling Vent (If it dies as a creature it can be returned to hand), Command Tower, Orzhov Basilica, Scoured Barrens (sometimes the 1 life tick is relevant), Tainted Field, Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds, Westvale Abbey Flip is particularly nasty, Emeria, The Sky Ruin does work late game, Mistveil Plains can recycle things.
Note: You can only play cards that belong entirely in your commanders' color identity, so only cards that are BW, so it is illegal to play Judge's Familiar.
I have an Ayli, The Eternal Pilgrim EDh deck so I'll be making most of my judgement off of my experience playing it and when I had Athreos on the field.
People don't want to give you broken stuff back, they will pay the 3 life; a best case scenario is to reassure them it's going to come back anyways. Oversold Cemetery, Chainer, Dementia Master, the new Ravos, Soultender, Karmic Guide and Reveillark, Sun Titan, Immortal Servitude, Phyrexian Reclamation, Marshal's Anthem, Whip of Erebos, Dawn of the Dead, Balthor the Defiled, Rise of the Dark Realms, Beacon of Unrest, ect.
Another way to force the return of your creatures is to put a nice bounty on their heads by playing things like Wound Reflection, making them pay 6 life per card not returned.
Let's talk board wipes..... You have two. You need about 10-12. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation (if you're feeling rich), Decree of Pain, Black Sun's Zenith, In Garruk's Wake, Mutilate, Planar Cleansing, Oblivion Stone, Nevinyrral's Disk, Reiver Demon, Crypt Rats, Pestilence...... there's loads more, take your pick, at about the 3rd wrath effect and you only targeting one opponent, they will be so low on life they'll just give you everything back.
Now that everyone is just handing you your stuff back instead of letting it go to the grave, lets add some ramp to replay all your zombified creatures. My favorite pieces are Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Sol Ring, Orzhov Signet, Commander's Sphere, and Black Market.
A scary way this deck can run is with weenies, abusing cards like Soul Warden and Soul's Attendant to gain quite a bit of life over the course fo the game, Karlov of the Ghost Council can get dumb, Vizkopa Guildmage that second ability can be activated multiple times, letting your opponents get nuked when you drop a Gray Merchant of Asphodel,Knight of the White Orchid solid ramp, Skirsdag High Priest,Hangarback Walker, ect. Play so many little things it overwhelms your opponent. Return to the Ranks works well with weenies too.
As a closer I'd suggest adding in some taxing cards, stuff that really hurts like Suture Priest, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Polluted Bonds, Exsanguinate and other alike cards. These not only help you close out games, but will probably make everyone super cautious about paying that 3 life to deny you having back something pretty.
2 months ago
I'm just gonna list some ideas to add to the list since I thought of many more!
Coiling Oracle, Faces of the Past, Perplex, Treasure Cruise, Colossal Whale, Intet, the Dreamer, Gyre Sage, Murkfiend Liege, Pelakka Wurm, Phyrexian Ingester, Everflowing Chalice, Skyshroud Claim, Dauntless Escort, Loxodon Hierarch, Yavimaya Elder, Bind, Illusionist's Bracers, Aura of Silence, Journey to Nowhere, Stasis Snare, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer, Render Silent, Counterflux, Indrik Stomphowler, Silklash Spider, Slice in Twain, Marshal's Anthem, True Conviction, Devout Invocation, Condemn, Brainstorm, Dig Through Time, Rewind, Swan Song, Clone, Reef Worm, Blatant Thievery, Ponder, Preordain, Elixir of Immortality, Animate Dead, Bojuka Bog, Disciple of Bolas, Dread Return, Victimize, High Market, Jarad's Orders, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, Puppeteer Clique, Shriekmaw, Merciless Executioner, Spore Frog, Ankle Shanker, Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim, Butcher of the Horde, Sin Collector, Zulaport Cutthroat, Utter End, Mortify, Putrefy, Assemble the Legion, Behind the Scenes
All of the 2 and 3 color charms (besides Boros charm).
And yeah! :) this is a great list!
3 months ago
Hey! I'll leave a link to my Brago deck if you want to check it out:
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 2 | 94 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
I haven't tested a shell like this, but it seems to lack a bit of focus so I have a few suggestions for you to test in the future:
47 lands is waaaaay too much. I run 40 in my mana hungry Omnath Deck and the only time I brought them all out was with a Splendid Reclamation on my last turn after being milled to death lol. I'd run 36 to 38 depending on the average cost and curve you end up with.
Probably you're running that many lands because you don't have any acceleration. I'd run things like Azorius Signet, Azorius Cluestone, Basalt Monolith, Sol Ring, Darksteel Ingot and Thran Dynamo at least, or any other combination of cheaper mana rocks, since you can use them all on your first main phase and blink them with Brago for double the use after combat. That also allows an infinite combo that I'll talk about later.
Brago's true power lies in repeated ETB Triggers. Heliod is the guy for vigilance, Brago's thing jin the long game is the ETB trigger toolbox. Look into cards like Mulldrifter, Sun Titan, Reflector Mage, Man-o'-War, Knight-Captain of Eos, Archaeomancer, Rishadan Brigand, Trinket Mage, Peregrine Drake, Cloud of Faeries and so on.
Vehicles seem underwhelming appart from Skysovereign, Consul Flagship, for the ETB trigger I went on about. Marshal's Anthem also does not take advantage from Brago Triggers (You'd rather plus Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, next turn ultimate him, blink it with Brago, plus him again on second main phase, next turn ultimate again and so on, for repeated Anthem effects if you want those)
There is a possible infinite combo win for Brago. The quickest route requires Sol Ring, Strionic Resonator and Altar of the Brood. Use Sol Ring to activate the Resonator on Brago's blink ability, blink them both with the copied ability (which resolves first), when they come into the battlefield, do it again copying the original Brago trigger which is still on the stack, and you can do that infinitely to mill everyone out with Altar of the Brood. If you don't want to mill, that interaction can generate everything from infinite mana, to infinite draw or infinite tokens, so it's just a matter of pick and choose. If you dislike infinite combos, you don't need them or you can play the pieces without going infinite (which is what I do most times), but I strongly recommend Strionic Resonator for extra blinks. And I'd loose the blink effect instants. I've tried them and they don't seem very impactful, since Brago does that well by himself.
Then I'd run either a manifest engine, or a bit of countermagic. Mastery of the Unseen, Lightform and Cloudform give you insane card and board advantage, but will sometimes waste you important instants and sorceries. I prefer countermagic and only run + for the infinite combo. I suggest some like Counterspell, Render Silent, Rewind, Dissolve. Nothing x costed like Clash of Wills and hard counters mostly on 3, 4 mana max, depending on the added value you get from them. How many depend on how you feel you might need them. Personally I run 2, since I have a lot of ways to draw into them or bring them back from the grave.
Try some changes out, bit by bit ;) I've been playing Brago since June and I like it more and more, the more I tweak it. It's really fun and has probably one of the cheapest infinite combos available to it. (Probably on par with + most times)
Feel free if you have some questions. I'm no expert, but I'll be glad if I'm of any help.
3 months ago
Blue has counters and draw, but you would be casting lots of spells yourself. The trick is to let green do the draw for you. Elemental Bond, Life's Legacy, Momentous Fall, Tireless Tracker, Garruk's Packleader, etc.
However, Surrak Dragonclaw gives more value as a commander than Gahiji, Honored One. All Surrak has to do is buff the creatures by 2 to meet Gahiji's standards, but Gahiji has to make them uncounterable, and have trample. A little bit tougher, but not impossible.
4 months ago
Okay, massive overhaul here. I also realized like an idiot that I didn't actually keep track of everything I took out at the time I was doing this so the list will likely have a few holes. To sum up, I focused my deck much harder on making etb and death-based creatures. Several instants, sorceries, and enchantments were removed in exchange for Alesha-recurrable creatures that do ultimately the same thing, as well as just overall upgrades for some of the creatures and enchantments. I'm also in the process of putting a few more allies into the deck to make for some clustered effects triggering all at once off of etb, but I do not have all of them that I need at the moment such as Drana, Liberator of Malakir and I removed Resolute Blademaster in that line to be put back in once I do. This deck now hates flying, but I hopefully have more damage and control of the board overall. Anyway, here's the (to the best of my memory) outs:
Resolute Blademaster Swarm of Bloodflies Skeletal Grimace Skullclamp King Macar, the Gold-Cursed Rescue from the Underworld Charmbreaker Devils Ankle Shanker Knight of the White Orchid Butcher of the Horde Unburial Rites Disciple of Phenax Sin Collector Priest of the Blood Rite Mardu Ascendancy Marshal's Anthem Akoum Refuge Millikin Elder Cathar Graveblade Marauder
And here are the ins:
Plains Tainted Field Pilgrim's Eye Burnished Hart Stingscourger Hanweir Garrison Feldon of the Third Path Anarchist Karmic Guide Goldnight Commander Auramancer Knight-Captain of Eos Mother of Runes Gift of Immortality Rune-Scarred Demon Disciple of Bolas Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip Viscera Seer Archetype of Finality Noosegraf Mob Bala Ged Thief High Priest of Penance Duergar Hedge-Mage
I'll leave the acquireboard to be looked at to avoid making this monster of a post any longer. but they're all substantially useful cards if anyone would like to peruse it to help my transitions move more quickly. As always, suggestions, comments, possible combos are always welcome and greatly appreciated. I'm extremely indecisive with my decks and constantly finding 'better' cards than what I have. Amd I now have a mostly new maybeboard since most of my maybes have been finally added in a grueling but rewarding process of staring at my broken down deck for hours making decisions.