Multikicker (You may pay an additional any number of times as you cast this spell.)
Creatures you control get +1/+1.
When Marshal's Anthem enters the battlefield, return up to X target creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield, where X is the number of times Marshal's Anthem was kicked.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||accioali , xpsychovampx , kobyjoe , Ashy , rockleemyhero , Swamy , Nemesis , pskinn01 , Dr.Jackel , Psycheretic , Tiddilywinkus , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , DruneGrey|
Marshal's Anthem Discussion
1 week ago
hmmm... for mana fixing you have two more options in your colours. The 1st is Cryptolith Rite not only does it fix you, it turns your dudes into mana generators and since they can come back you can wrath earlier and with impunity. The second is Celestial Dawn but that can get complicated sometimes. Still a strong card though!
Marshal's Anthem is a pretty decent reanimator if you are looking for something like it :)
Then you have Faith's Reward, but I think that's not so much for you, since you will be the one doing the blow the world thing... 4 extra mana for a 1 time thing is a little too much in my honest opinion.
2 weeks ago
Ok, this looks intesting. Drana's Emissary costs a little much, and needs to stay on the battlefield to have an effect, not great for winning or stalling.
You basically have two options with B/W allies at the moment- the traditional Hada Freeblade/Kazandu Blademaster/Champion of the Parish beatdown. Its pretty straightforwards, and has gained some traction running Collected Company, you'll find examples on this site listed under modern allies.
What it isn't, is budget.
I'd reccomend an etb/flicker deck, as the cards are cheaper, as the diverse common-rarity options keep the price low.
Expedition Envoy/Ondu Cleric/Jeskai Barricade/Lantern Scout/Cliffside Lookout/Cliffhaven Vampire/Kabira Evangel/Ondu War Cleric/Serene Steward/Bloodbond Vampire/Kalastria Healer/Zulaport Cutthroat as core creatures aiming to stall the game, then close out with flicker effects for a lot of etb/ltb effects.
March from the Tomb/Eerie Interlude/Rally the Anscestors/Ghostway/Momentary Blink/No Rest for the Wicked/Proclamation of Rebirth/Faith's Reward/Whip of Erebos/Flickerform/Graceful Reprieve/Return to the Ranks/Makeshift Mannequin/Marshal's Anthem/Stonecloaker to puch out in turns 5-7 with etb triggers.
Some dredge like Stinkweed Imp/Dakmor Salvage/Nightmare Void, Darkblast or Golgari Thug could help provide card advantage throught the 'yard, but would leave you grave-hate vulnerable. The main battle is going to be surviving through and battling against combo, which will always be a weak matchup- but a good sideboard could hate it out with 15 dedicated cards, or focus on other matchups and accept combo as lost.
All told, nice start and good luck tinkering. Hope this big list isn't too intimidating, almost all the effects are similar for your purpsose- just pick and choose the cheaper ones and test the proportions to make sure your hands look nice and have fun testing!
1 month ago
Lands could use a big update, and it dosen't need to be expensiveall the taplands (guildgates and gain 1 life lands) could be replaced with the tri lands from alara blockArcane Sanctum, Crumbling Necropolis, Jungle Shrine, Savage Lands, Seaside Citadel, and Exotic OrchardReflecting Pool is a better Rupture Spireyou could throw in a couple colorless utility lands and have you filter lands color fix you when needed. maybe add Vault of the Archangel, Reliquary Tower, Temple of the False God, Winding Canyons
Captain's Claws makes ally tokens
Jwari Shapeshifter is the clone you want!
ally's you could addAkoum Battlesinger, Bala Ged Thief, Bojuka Brigand, Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder, Grovetender Druids, Hada Freeblade, Halimar Excavator, Harabaz Druid, Highland Berserker, Kalastria Healer, Kor Entanglers, Makindi Patrol (change for Joraga Bard), Murasa Pyromancer, Oran-Rief Survivalist, Reckless Bushwhacker, Tuktuk Scrapper
also add Harsh Mercy
maybe cut the Overwhelming Stampede
1 month ago
TearsInRain23: I'm glad you've thought out this deck so well! My quick responses to your answers:
1) nods Makes sense. If you ever decide to adjust it, I've gotten great value out of Ashes to Ashes before. It loses the instant-speed, but it always 2-for-1s and the 5 life is rarely relevant since you gain a lot of life here. Or Unmake - unconditional instant-speed removal is one hell of a drug :)
2) Cool, we're agreed. If you want another X-spell to dump mana into (how much mana do you usually generate by the end of a game?) Exsanguinate is the go-to option, hehe.
3) Depending on how slow your deck is, Marshal's Anthem could do work for you. But if Always Watching does work, then it's great. Never really tried the card myself, just thought those anthem effects are usually better with tokens.
4) I played Magister of Worth in a few of my decks, but the table always conspired against me to flip the vote against me. Still, though, if it works in your deck! I have a foil of that card, and it's super pretty, so maybe I should stick it back in a deck and try it again.
5) Yeah, I think my decks are just cursed. I usually play ~37 land and still get screwed almost every game. No idea what that's about...
I'd love your perspective on a few of my decks if you have any time :)
2 months ago
Hey, thanks for the information! I didn't know that Amonkhet was rumored to be Warrior-heavy. I'm gonna hold off of building my own Warrior deck (Unstoppable Warrior Tribal Input Welcome!) in light of this new info. I, too, started with a rough list such as this, and have whittled mine down to what I hope would be a competitive loadout- though obviously different than your own due to color identity of Commander. If you're anything like myself, I'm aggro focused- so Recursion is in the back of my mind, but not at all my focus. I don't care if I'm losing creatures from my horde, I've got more haha (as such, I'd personally not play Phyrexian Reclamation, Palace Siege, Marshal's Anthem (though I do run that one in my anthem Iroas Boros EDH), etc.) I also feel that Take Up Arms is a poor card, way too expensive for what you're getting. Mardu Charm is fine, but Aggro decks like ours need more removal than anything, and there are better 3-drop choices that could be made. Anyway, good luck! Feel free to give me any feedback on any of my decks too, I'm excited to see what the new sets will have now, thanks again!
3 months ago
Thanks for the info. No tutors...that's really rough, it pretty much makes getting through your deck a slog fest. I'd at least consider running one or two tutors that are in your budget - Call the Gatewatch, Diabolic Tutor, Dark Petition (if you are going to just run one, this is the one I'd go with), and Increasing Ambition.
Here comes the book, I hope you're in the mood to read...From what I can see, the deck is mainly trying to win by ticking players down by enough to get them in a range where they can reasonably be hit by an Exsanguinate effect.
Here are some general tips that I can give you:
1.) Add a lot of cards that draw you cards even if they seem minuscule. Since you are not going to run tutors (or run a very limited amount of them) you need ways to get through your deck. My suggestions for some slots would be Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, Underworld Connections, Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, Ob Nixilis Reignited, Bloodgift Demon, Ancient Craving, Ambition's Cost, Read the Bones, Erebos, God of the Dead, and Skullclamp. Karlov of the Ghost Council and your many life gain cards should easily be able to mitigate the losses you take from the aforementioned draw spells.
2.) Get rid of the gimmicky extort creatures. Although at first it seems nice to get incrimental advantage with these from Karlov, but its just not enough to warrant slots in your list. B and W in EDH are colors that have a plethora of extrememly powerful EDH cards and you do not want to waste your slots this easily. Keep powerful cards like Crypt Ghast; Blood Baron of Vizkopa; and the souls sisters, but cards that are extort vanillas are no good.
But how will we win without a critical mass of creatures, you ask...
3.) Simply add cards that generate tokens to the deck! Tokens have so many advantages including blanking your opponent's spot removal, adding benefits to the soul sisters, are great in conjunction with mass pump spells like True Conviction or Dictate of Heliod, protect you and your planeswalkers easily, and are great at holding down the board until you can cast your GIANT Exsanguinate!!! Some examples of great cards to add would be Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Increasing Devotion, Spectral Procession, Conqueror's Pledge, Secure the Wastes, White Sun's Zenith, Hero of Bladehold, Lingering Souls, Midnight Haunting, Luminarch Ascension, Kjeldoran Outpost, Martial Coup, Heliod, God of the Sun, and Thraben Doomsayer.
If you would like to know how I would run Karlov of the Ghost Council with your budget as a comparison, I would be more than happy to help you out by posting an example decklist.
Hope that helps and don't forget your Orzhov Signet!
4 months ago
- Emmara Tandris ("indestructible" tokens, what's not to like?)
- Requiem Angel (note that it doesn't care if the creatures were tokens)
- Growing Ranks (Populate)
- Spirit Bonds (allows you to pay to get an spirit and to sac an spirit and protect a guy)
- Honden of Life's Web (If you decide to use it, get at least Honden of Seeing Winds as well)
- Omnath, Locus of Rage (great creature for K&T since you'll probably get 2 free 5/5 elementals per turn... and if they die you get to damage people)
- Zendikar's Roil (same thing, but 2/2 elementals)
- Rampaging Baloths (same thing, but 3/3 beasts)
- Emeria Angel (same thing, but 1/1 flying birds)
- Retreat to Emeria (same thing, but 1/1 Kor Allies)
- Sporemound (same thing, but 1/1 saprolings)
- Khalni Gem (interesting/cheap ramp tool that allows you to replay some lands)
- Khalni Heart Expedition (another easy ramp for K&T)
- Meloku the Clouded Mirror allows you to tap a land and return it to your hand to get an easy token
- Explore: small ramp and draw card.
- Zendikar Resurgent effectively doubles your mana pool. You could also go with Dictate of Karametra if you do not care about opponents getting double mana as well, but it could be more dangerous
- Honden of Seeing Winds passive card draw is very neat
- Fecundity is great in a token-based deck.
- Military Intelligence is another good card if you plan to swarm the field
BUFFING YOUR CREATURES
- Thunderfoot Baloth (+2/+2 and trample)
- Assault Formation (turns K&T into an 8/8 creature and allows you to buff your guys)
- Intangible Virtue (only buffs your tokens, but also gives them vigilance)
- Archetype of Courage / Archetype of Imagination / Archetype of Endurance (I do not recommend Archetype of Aggression in a token-based deck)
- True Conviction (oh, so pretty. Double strike and lifelink are brutal)
- Spear of Heliod (doubles as a threat to someone trying to attack you)
- Marshal's Anthem gets you some creatures back and buffs them afterwards
- Skullwinder is a very political card, as well as Dawnbreak Reclaimer
- Reincarnation is a cute and can be quite useful.
- Seasons Past gets you a bunch of cards back in the late game
- Emeria Shepherd plays well with the landfall strategy (I'd recommend switching to a more -based deck for it to become even better)
- Wave of Reckoning that comes with the deck is a nice removal since it won't remove your commander from the table.
- Vandalblast for the Overload cost is simply amazing.
- Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer is kinda bad. He can only bribe 1 creature per turn and if he dies, the bribery token has no effect.
- Orzhov Advokist saves you for a turn, then makes everything worse... :C
- Realm Seekers. Yes, they get quite big quite easily, but not all that useful since they do not have trample/reach/vigilance/anything)
- Sakura-Tribe Elder is better suited for decks that get lots of graveyard recursion (making him reusable).
- Farseek is more expensive than Rampant Growth because it can get you a nonbasic Mountain/Forest/Plains/Island. Since you are not running those, you could stick with just Rampant
- Seeds of Renewal (there are better ways of getting cards back, check my "RECOVERING CARDS" section)
- Shamanic Revelation (check "DRAW ENGINE")
- Sphere of Safety (unless you run 10+ enchantments, I'd say it's not that good)
- Reins of Power (I'd say, go with Illusionist's Gambit or Mirror Match)
- Benefactor's Draught (not all that useful in my opinion. Even though it might give you some cards and put someone in your debt, I don't see much point)
- Arcane Denial (meh. Bad counter. If you really want to use a counter, try something along the lines of a Dissipate or Mana Leak)
- Prismatic Geoscope. At first I really liked this card, but when I realized it enters the battlefield tapped, I felt betrayed hahaha. I'd run a Signet in your prominent colors or a Darksteel Ingot instead.
4 months ago
Some decent duals in these colors: Caves of Koilos, Shambling Vent (If it dies as a creature it can be returned to hand), Command Tower, Orzhov Basilica, Scoured Barrens (sometimes the 1 life tick is relevant), Tainted Field, Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds, Westvale Abbey Flip is particularly nasty, Emeria, The Sky Ruin does work late game, Mistveil Plains can recycle things.
Note: You can only play cards that belong entirely in your commanders' color identity, so only cards that are BW, so it is illegal to play Judge's Familiar.
I have an Ayli, The Eternal Pilgrim EDh deck so I'll be making most of my judgement off of my experience playing it and when I had Athreos on the field.
People don't want to give you broken stuff back, they will pay the 3 life; a best case scenario is to reassure them it's going to come back anyways. Oversold Cemetery, Chainer, Dementia Master, the new Ravos, Soultender, Karmic Guide and Reveillark, Sun Titan, Immortal Servitude, Phyrexian Reclamation, Marshal's Anthem, Whip of Erebos, Dawn of the Dead, Balthor the Defiled, Rise of the Dark Realms, Beacon of Unrest, ect.
Another way to force the return of your creatures is to put a nice bounty on their heads by playing things like Wound Reflection, making them pay 6 life per card not returned.
Let's talk board wipes..... You have two. You need about 10-12. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation (if you're feeling rich), Decree of Pain, Black Sun's Zenith, In Garruk's Wake, Mutilate, Planar Cleansing, Oblivion Stone, Nevinyrral's Disk, Reiver Demon, Crypt Rats, Pestilence...... there's loads more, take your pick, at about the 3rd wrath effect and you only targeting one opponent, they will be so low on life they'll just give you everything back.
Now that everyone is just handing you your stuff back instead of letting it go to the grave, lets add some ramp to replay all your zombified creatures. My favorite pieces are Ashnod's Altar, Phyrexian Altar, Sol Ring, Orzhov Signet, Commander's Sphere, and Black Market.
A scary way this deck can run is with weenies, abusing cards like Soul Warden and Soul's Attendant to gain quite a bit of life over the course fo the game, Karlov of the Ghost Council can get dumb, Vizkopa Guildmage that second ability can be activated multiple times, letting your opponents get nuked when you drop a Gray Merchant of Asphodel,Knight of the White Orchid solid ramp, Skirsdag High Priest,Hangarback Walker, ect. Play so many little things it overwhelms your opponent. Return to the Ranks works well with weenies too.
As a closer I'd suggest adding in some taxing cards, stuff that really hurts like Suture Priest, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Polluted Bonds, Exsanguinate and other alike cards. These not only help you close out games, but will probably make everyone super cautious about paying that 3 life to deny you having back something pretty.