Creature — Human Soldier
Whenever Precinct Captain deals combat damage to a player, put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||bradyofportdetroit , redlegs_17 , Tiddilywinkus , Regulus1010 , PTsmitty , golgarigirl , sonnet666 , jparker-sartori21 , Faceless_Being , Kvothe1115 , Sparky41 , Venser_the_Sojoner , philktoken8998 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , pskinn01 , Dredgar , rakdos24 , mcstang1986 , GoldGhost012 , Oloro_Magic|
Precinct Captain Discussion
1 day ago
2 days ago
First off, nice deck. I would certainly consider dropping Honor of the Pure as it doesn't hit your Bitterblossom faeries or Blood Artist. Glorious Anthem is an exact upgrade, albeit at 1 more cmc. Alternatives I would suggest considering would be Precinct Captain with first strike and token generation he does good work and is a threat, a Mikaeus, the Lunarch to pump the team, a Hanweir Militia Captain Flip for tokens and a huge threat. I really like Return to the Ranks compared to Proclamation of Rebirth as it can target your many 2 drops (also consider a couple mainboard). Brave the Elements, Celestial Flare, Fragmentize and Silence are all sideboard considerations.
2 days ago
Might also want to try Precinct Captain
4 days ago
This advice is for going full Human Tribal, so no soldiers and spirits.
- Minus Emeria Shepherd Card is too expensive, no synergy b/c no ETB effects or payoff cards to reanimate.
- Minus Collective Effort Card is too mediocre in EDH
- Minus Devout Invocation, Although a very cool and flavourful card, it's too expensive, and doesn't have a direct impact on the board without a haste source in play.
- Minus Ajani Unyielding, Strong card, but no synergy wit the deck.
- Minus Bow of Nylea, Card is too underwhelming in EDH
- Minus Gallows at Willow Hill, again, very flavourful, but underwhelming.
- Minus Swiftfoot Boots, usually works better with big creatures that need protection, instead of a lot of small creatures, if you really want to play it, go for Lightning Greaves
- Minus Thought Vessel, you don't really need the ramp if you keep the CMC low, same goes for the hand-size limit, you want to keep casting creatures, not gain a massive hand. Imagine drawing this instead of more humans that commit to the board state.
- Minus Asceticism, you're main concern is board wipes, not target removal, I would suggest playing this in a creature based deck like Mayael the Anima
- Minus Archetype of Courage, too underwhelming in my opinion
- Minus Somberwald Sage, only ramps for big creatures, which is not your focus.
- Minus Decimator of the Provinces, too underwhelming for its cmc
- Minus Elder of Laurels, not a bad card, but only buffs one creature, you want more anthem effects.
- Minus Fiend Hunter, it's a solid card, there are better options
- Minus Geist-Honored Monk, solid card, but no human synergy and no game changer for 5 CMC
- Minus Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Minus Odric, Master Tactician, never been a fan of these.
- Minus Precinct Captain, soldiers, no humans
- Minus Ulvenwald Tracker, meh
- Minus Voice of Resurgence, obviously one of the best cards in Modern, solid in EDH, but not really a human card
- Minus Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, I get the point, but no humans
- Minus Avacyn, Angel of Hope, So good, so expensive
- Minus Mosswort Bridge, not enough value to gain here, so just a slow land card.
- Plus Skullclamp best draw engine for tokens in the game.
- Plus Devout Chaplain, solid tribe removal
- Plus Heron's Grace Champion, excellent combat trick.
- Plus Herald of War, solid tribal support
- Plus Tireless Tracker, great stand-alone with draw-engine
- Plus Grand Abolisher, anti control card
- Plus Thraben Doomsayer, free human tokens,
- Plus Angel of Jubilation, anthem
- Plus Chord of Calling, find your craterhoof on instant speed.
- Plus Eladamri's Call, tutor.
- Plus Green Sun's Zenith, tutor.
- Plus Avacyn's Pilgrim, solid human mana dork
- Plus Overwhelming Stampede wincon
- Plus Door of Destinies anthem
- Plus Akroma's Memorial wincon
- Plus Obelisk of Urd tribal anthem
- Plus Cryptolith Rite Ramp
- Plus Angelic Overseer Solid tribal support
- Plus Marshal's Anthem Recursion + Anthem
- Plus Kodama's Reach additional Cultivate
- Plus Adaptive Automaton tribal support
- Plus Enlightened Tutor
- Plus Gather the Townsfolk, more humans!
1 week ago
Yeah that's true, i am testing it myself and stacks up nicely from the playstesting i've done but all comes down to personal preference and took Precinct Captain out for the time being. I included Thalia's Lieutenant too, it's too good not to pass up. I went down to three Preeminent Captain as it doesn't feel as important and trying to keep the 'Human Solider' theme in there as much as possible.
As for Benalish Commander it's more for very casual builds but if you get it down with Preeminent Captain on turn four it's such a good feeling but i definately like the diversity in Soldier builds because there's many more options than say Knights.
No problem. :)
1 week ago
@Tomslipknot1 My concern with Mimic is that we already have Thalia's Lieutenant which does something similar in the early game, better in the late game, and it's a soldier in hand to slam for free with Preeminent Captain as well as trigger Champion of the Parish more reliably. Precinct Captain is also somewhat similar but the bodies can get buffed.
I've wanted to put Benalish Commander in here but he's a 1/1 on his own and we want our opponent dead before he would ever come off of suspend.
Thanks for the feedback!
1 week ago
Hey, I think you have a lot of the right pieces and that the list is really well-budgeted! If I may, I'd like to offer you a few suggestions.
Mainboard:I'd add 4 Soldier of the Pantheon (solid 1 drop) and 2-3 of either Consul's Lieutenant or Precinct Captain (both good aggressive first strikers that your opponent will have to deal with quickly). My personal experience with these cards has been excellent. I'd cut 1 Brave the Elements (having 2 in hand feels rather bad), your Elite Vanguard (Soldier of the Pantheon is entirely better), your Mardue Woe-Reaper (although this one might be okay, but would prefer more warriors), and your Imposing Sovereigns (overall feels a bit slow, with redundant effects). Obviously I'd look into Path to Exile over Journey to Nowhere, but if you are running Journey to Nowhere due to budget constraints I entirely understand. I'd also look into adding 2-3 Ghost Quarters to have the ability to mess with your opponent's manabase. Helps a lot against Tron and manlands.
Sideboard:As it stands, you currently have no reason to run Sundering Growth over Disenchant. If you are able to though, I'd shoot for Stony Silence over both of them. As for graveyard hate, I'd recommend Rest in Peace. While it doesn't redraw like Relic, it is a constant effect. The only thing that Grafdigger's Cage does better than it is turn off effects like Collected Company. I'd also go with Ranger of Eos over Make a Stand and 1 other card (maybe one of your many pieces of gravehate?). While make a stand looks pretty good at first, it is very impractical to just hold up 3 mana constantly to protect against board wipes. Using Ranger of Eos to recover from a wipe can be an excellent way to get back into the game.
Hope I could help out a bit! If you ever have any questions or need anything else, let me know. Good luck on your brew!