|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Gideon's Reproach deals 4 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
Gideon's Reproach Discussion
2 months ago
Lightmine Field and Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile would argue it’s merely a color pie shift. Also white has characteristically had damage during combat type effects. Gideon's Reproach and etc. Rain of Blades Marrow Shards
2 months ago
Sure. I'd use all of the cards you ordered besides Thalia's Lieutenant , which isn't great here since there aren't enough Humans in your deck to make good use of it and it's more suited for an aggro plan. You should have a playset of Inquisition, Lingering Souls , Martyr of Sands , Squadron Hawk , and 2 Day of Judgment in the main, with the other 2 Days of Judgment in the sideboard (assuming you got a playset of it). Cut 1 Dusk / Dawn , 2 Fumigate , 1 Ironwright's Cleansing , 3 Never / Return , 1 Decommission , 2 Gideon's Reproach , 1 Approach of the Second Sun , 1 Renewed Faith , 1 Restoration Gearsmith , 1 Aerial Responder , 2 Grasp of Darkness , 1 Authority of the Consuls , and 1 Murder to make room.
There are functional replacements for Path that you can use: Condemn and Oust . I'd replace the Fatal Push, Murder, and 2 Grasps of Darkness with a 2/2 split of those until you get Paths since you want as many white cards as possible for Martyr. You might also want to consider getting Thraben Inspector for some card draw, Ranger of Eos to get more Martyrs, and a couple Proclamation of Rebirth .
3 months ago
What types of decks do you usually play against? Knowing that will help people give advice. For some general tips, I would cut all of the "standard" cards that you're playing right now because most all of them are too slow, not powerful enough for modern, or have better versions of the card available: 1 Dusk / Dawn , 2 Fumigate , 1 Ironwright's Cleansing , 2 Never / Return , 1 Decommission , 2 Gideon's Reproach . I would also cut the 4 Authority of the Consuls , but they could be reasonable depending on what you play against. In their place, you should play some of the Modern "Staples" as they'll help increase the competitivity of your deck (look up modern staples if you don't know what I'm talking about). In your colors, Path to Exile is the most important considering the current meta. 1-mana discard spells such as Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize are played in virtually every deck that plays black; they'll give you an edge against control and combo and are still very useful vs aggro and midrange. The downside of those staples is that they cost a lot of money. If that's a trouble for you, I can suggest some other cards that are at least semi-competitive, though again it would help to know what you play against.
If you really like gaining life, take a look at a Martyr Proc deck (example: Martyr Proc). Martyr of Sands can gain you huge amounts of life starting turn 2, and it works quite well with Squadron Hawk . It's easy enough to slot in a few Gideon of the Trials and Brisela/Bruna in place of some other cards, and it gains a heck ton more life than the deck you're playing now does.
Another way you could take the deck is a B Devotion deck to make use of Gray Merchant of Asphodel . That deck has cards like Vampire Nighthawk , Gifted Aetherborn (which you already have), and Gatekeeper of Malakir . It could make casting Gideons and Brisela/Bruna harder though.
3 months ago
Just noticed you already added Dawn of Hope still 11 cuts because I also forgot to add it to the number.
- Book of Rass - direct swap out for Greed since the latter is a better card.
- Gideon's Reproach - direct swap out for Swords to Plowshares since the latter is a better card.
- Counterlash - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, a lot of mana for a counter and a chance at a free card.
- Disperse - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, not even really permanent removal.
- Wing Shards - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, not all important creatures have to attack.
- Seal Away - One of the four 1-for-1 spells you have that I like the least and I am suggesting 4 cuts to bring you down to 7 because that is what I run in mine and find it to be a good number. Specifically, tapped clause is not great.
- Nevinyrral's Disk - without Darksteel Forge and Mycosynth Lattice it just slows the game down. This may offer you a better chance to win, or you may like long games for the sake of long games. I dislike long games enough that I would cut it.
- Severed Strands - you have 13 creatures and can't afford to sacrifice them, especially at sorcery speed, if we are winning via combat.
- Blood Tribute - halving a single player's life total is either going to make you an enemy or not do much depending on how late it is in the game. Making enemies isn't something you want to do in pillow fort decks since most people could pay the taxes, just why bother when they can attack someone else and not pay unless they have a reason to focus you down.
- Revival / Revenge - Not a fan of low CMC only reanimate, see above for the rationale on the other half.
- Revitalize - I don't like cards that just gain life, cantriping is not enough to get me to like it.
4 months ago
It is not that much a question about priority, but rather about steps.
Beginning of combat step - effects that trigger on beginning will trigger here Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer . The each player gets priority to do stuff, if all pass proceed to next step.
Declare attackers step. Once in this step declaring attackers it doesn't use stack to make a creature attack. For example you declare Ballista Charger as an attacker and its trigger goes on the stack. While in this phase the opponent can't say wait I'll kill it so it doesn't deal me 1 damage. If he wants to avoid the damage he has to kill it in the previous step. After attackers are declared players get priority, and may case something like Gideon's Reproach to kill a creature. Another important point in your case if your opponent wants to block with Smuggler's Copter he has to crew it in this phase or before it, any crewing after that will render it unable to block.
Declare blockers phase. Again doesn't use the stack. Creatures that are alive in this phase can be assigned as blockers. Once you declare a creature as a blocker for an attacking creature, it is considered blocked for the rest of the combat. The opponent can do something like, I'll kill your creature so my creature suddenly gets unblocked and damages you (if it has trample it can still damage you if blocker is removed), or enables ninjutsu Ninja of the Deep Hours . Also if the opponent crews Smuggler's Copter in this phase it will be once blockers are declared and it will be alive but not assigned as blocker.
So in other words your opponent has to crew Smuggler's Copter in declare attackers phase or before it, but can't assign it as a blocker until the next step. You can freely exile it once priority gets back to you at the end of the crew action.
6 months ago
There are a lot of creatures you can cut but the first thing you may want to consider is artifacts. I know you want to build an instant heavy deck but you may want some artifacts that will give narset a consistent boost once they're equipped. Darksteel Plate . Trailblazer's Boots , Swiftfoot Boots , Helm of the Host , Grappling Hook , Sword of Feast and Famine . You also want a ,to of artifact ramp for your deck. Narset of often seen as a major threat, you want to get her out as fast as possible. Sol Ring , the signets, Commander's Sphere , Darksteel Ingot , MindStone, Gilded Lotus are all great for that.
If you really want to run creatures in narset, I'd stick to about your 10 favorite, just so you have a lower chance of exiling them with her ability. I would keep mirrorwing, zada, dragonlord, etali, jace, thing, sphinx, kiega, exemplars and sage.
Moving onto instants and sorceries, you are going to want some extra combat phases along with double strike and pump affects. Fury of the Horde , Waves of Aggression , Savage Beating , Relentless Assault , World at War , Seize the Day . Id keep your instant count down around 30 cards total, start cutting with things like Gideon's Reproach , that are very situational.
I hope this helps, best of luck with the deck
7 months ago
This is the current deck I'm running because I don't have all the cards that I want for this and i've gone 25/2/0 in MTG Arena so far - I'm thinking of switching this up to UBR but this idea can really just work for any colors you prefer, I just Like the combo with white because of return creatures I need and low cost damage spells for creature removal similar to red but triggers at different times.
It's been 5 years since I've last played and I'm really enjoying this block so far in standard - any help is much appreciated.
As of release for Ravnica Allegiance Day one this is what I currently have for it, I'm just so sick of everything being so creature aggro based I figured i'd put together something to mess with people's heads if they play that way.
10 months ago
I really think a couple of flying creatures would be useful. Resplendent Angel might be good, maybe 3x or 4x. Probably drop 2x Legion's Landing Flip and 1x Settle the Wreckage to make room. I also think you'll need additional land. Probably 1 additional course of each color. Definitely need a Forest as Field of Ruin is a real and dangerous card! Maybe even an Evolving Wilds in case you need it to get yourself a land.
I like the idea! +1 from me!
No data for this card yet.