|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Common|
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Common|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Common|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Kiora (DDO)||Common|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Common|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Common|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Secluded Steppe enters the battlefield tapped.
: Gain .
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Secluded Steppe Discussion
1 week ago
I would try dropping the 2x Bloodfell Caves in favor of another each of Scoured Barrens and Wind-Scarred Crag . With 50% of your deck being white, you always want or something else. Also, consider losing a Swamp and a mountain in favor of either 2x Secluded Steppe 1x Polluted Mire and 1x Smoldering Crater , because I also think you need some draw.
I feel like a full playset of Impact Tremors should be in this deck, maybe by going down to 3-of on some of your other enchantments. Either that or Hissing Iguanar ... or replace Bogardan Dragonheart and use them both! Which is what I would do. But I love Impact Tremors too much so....
Apostle's Blessing should be in your sideboard, btw.
I know it's not an enchantment, but also consider squeezing in some Altar's Reap s somewhere, because draw.
3 weeks ago
- -1 Barren Moor +1 Azorius Signet
- -1 Lonely Sandbar +1 Dimir Signet
- -1 Tranquil Thicket +1 Gruul Signet
- -1 Forgotten Cave +1 Simic Signet
- -1 Secluded Steppe +1 Boros Signet
- -1 Azorius Chancery +1 Coalition Relic
- -1 Boros Garrison +1 Thran Dynamo
- -1 Dimir Aqueduct +1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- -1 Golgari Rot Farm +1 Wandering Fumarole
- -1 Gruul Turf +1 Raging Ravine
- -1 Izzet Boilerworks +1 Celestial Colonnade
- -1 Orzhov Basilica +1 Creeping Tar Pit
- -1 Rakdos Carnarium +1 Hissing Quagmire
- -1 Selesnya Sanctuary +1 Pentad Prism
- -1 Simic Growth Chamber +1 Riftwing Cloudskate
- -1 Mantis Rider +1 Duplicant
- -1 Psychatog +1 Thought Erasure
- -1 Drooling Groodion +1 Vraska, Relic Seeker
- -1 Ancestral Mask +1 Inferno Titan
- -1 Twisted Abomination +1 Exhume
- -1 Sengir Vampire +1 Animate Dead
- -1 Ravenous Rats +1 Unburial Rites
- -1 Spirit Mantle +1 Angel of Invention
- -1 Brood Butcher +1 Cloudgoat Ranger
- -1 Elephant Guide +1 Verdurous Gearhulk
- -1 Gladecover Scout +1 Terastodon
1 month ago
So spicy fam, what about the other cycle lands?
2 months ago
3 months ago
I would bet that Counterspell does not get reprinted. Modern has a really healthy and eclectic mix of counterspells being run right now, from Logic Knot to Remand to Mana Leak , etc. Wizards has been committed to the idea that Modern-legal counterspells cost three mana outright, or two mana with some sort of downside for a while, and I do not see that changing anytime soon.
I also do not expect Sinkhole to be reprinted, as it is a bit of a colour-pie violation and Wizards is pretty anti-land destruction right now.
I would expect to see a heavy leaning toward reprints of cards in Commander products. These are cards that fit in with the current understanding of the colour pie and fit in well with the precon level of power.
I do not expect to see many of the truly broken cards from the early stages of Magic--I expect Wizards intends to keep Modern a turn-four format.
I know lots of people want Baleful Strix to be Modern, so I think that is a good bet. I don't think it is so gamebreaking as to disrupt the format.
I think Aggravated Assault might be another good guess, as it was recently reprinted in Explorers of Ixalan.
Toxic Deluge from Commander might be a good option. Wrath effects are already plentiful in Modern, though this one costs a mana less and can get by indestructible.
I think there are a number of lands that will also see reprints, as they would be solid for Draft purposes. We recently had mono-coloured Cycle lands ( Desert of the True ) printed in standard, so I will not be surprised if a future Modern Horizon set has the slightly less-expensive-to-cycle lands of Onslaught ( Secluded Steppe ). Oddysey's Threshold lands, like Cephalid Coliseum could also be reprinted.
As with every new proposed non-Standard set, I'm hoping for Banding to return. I have little expectation that will occur.
3 months ago
Yeah, Shalai is illegal in mono white. Commander uses something called color identity when determining a card's legality, which includes any colored symbol showing up on the card in addition to the card's color. For example, Alesha Who Smiles At Death is a 3 color commander, not 1.
Considering how high your curve is, I'd say you need a lot more lands and ramp spells, probably like another 5 lands and another 8-10 ramp spells. I just tried the Playtest button with the deck as is, and I hit an angel on curve only once out of five times. I'd highly recommend starting your cuts at the top of the curve - kill two birds with one stone. Other cards to consider cutting are ones that don't totally synergize with your game plan. Additionally, you may want to consider changing up your removal to cheaper and more universal effects. Specifically, here's what I would change:
Ramp I'd recommend: Sol Ring , Smothering Tithe , Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx which is also a land, Caged Sun , Sword of the Animist , Oketra's Monument , Burnished Hart , Solemn Simulacrum , Mind Stone , Thought Vessel , Fellwar Stone , Thran Dynamo , Worn Powerstone , Mana Vault / Mana Crypt if you're made of money, Hedron Archive , Everflowing Chalice , Prismatic Lens , Boreas Charger
Removal I'd recommend: Swords to Plowshares , Path to Exile , Return to Dust , Crush Contraband , Disenchant , Darksteel Mutation (excellent for commanders!), Abolish and although not technically removal you should definitely run Mana Tithe .
Cards I'd recommend removing from your deck: Danitha Capshen, Baird, Angelic Chorus, Oketra's Last Mercy, Immolating Glare, Reprisal, Invoke the Divine, Helm of the Host, Angelheart Vial. These ones don't do enough for their mana, are worse versions of other cards, or don't match your game plan. After that start cutting from the top of your angel curve.
I didn't see a budget posted so some of these cards can be pricey, but hopefully that helps!
4 months ago
For card draw in white you can use generic deck thinners to instead improve the quality of draws. Secluded Steppe , Drifting Meadow for example. Gift of Estates or Land Tax , Strata Scythe , Sword of the Animist options. Seer's Sundial , Mentor of the Meek , Tamiyo's Journal , Sea Gate Wreckage , Loreseeker's Stone actually draw stuff.
4 months ago
Both this and the upgraded list are so cool! I was actually just thinking last night that it would be fun to build a 100% reactive deck — everything at instant speed. No kidding, exact thought. And then I just happened to see your decks in the "Top" tab on the T/O homepage. :D
Some other budget lands that might be useful:
- Lonely Sandbar / Secluded Steppe — It's another land when you need it, but card draw when you need that more
- Halimar Depths — This deck runs a lot of card draw, so this effect might be unnecessary, but maybe worth considering for setting up your draws
- Skyline Cascade — Just a utility land to slow down a more worrisome opponent when you don't have any bounce available to you
- Ash Barrens — I actually like this card better than Evolving / Terramorphic , because when you use it's Cycling ability, the net result is the same as the fetches, but you also have the option of playing it as an untapped colorless source if you really just need that one extra mana
Secluded Steppe occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.05%