|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Uncommon|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Uncommon|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Uncommon|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Uncommon|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Uncommon|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Uncommon|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Basalt Monolith doesn't untap during your untap step.
: Add to your mana pool.
: Untap Basalt Monolith.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||rikertchu , Dr_Jay , Jpegwun , Vergil_Redgrail , Justinaut , sonnet666 , DarkMagician , LTmiller , ironax , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , golgarigirl , brokendwarf , the.beanpole , Candyman949|
|Want (4)||Jose_Arrogantio , Malachy_ , Willis1994 , pskinn01|
Basalt Monolith Discussion
20 hours ago
Just take out some counterspells and some walls, I recommend getting ride of:- Glacial Wall- Hover Barrier- Inspiration- Argent Sphinx- Cancel- Void Shatter- Rewind- Impulse- Basalt Monolith- Artificer's Epiphany- Careful StudyI would also put in a few more artifacts and take out some of those draw spells, counterspells and walls, because you want to be able to hit Qumulox and Broodstar and reliably make them super cheap.
3 days ago
You might want to fit in some more mana rocks/dorks to better support the paradox engine (and brago with the rocks). Derevi is very good with some of the bigger mana rocks that don't untap, such as Basalt Monolith, Mana Vault, and Grim Monolith. In addition, Fellwar Stone, Talisman of Progress, and Talisman of Unity are some great 2-mana rocks. Noble Hierarch and Birds of Paradise are some strong mana dorks. Some other strong mana dorks include Somberwald Sage and Shaman of Forgotten Ways.
Some creatures that generate tokens on etb might be nice to synergize with Derevi and the flicker theme. Avenger of Zendikar is one of the best, and Geist-Honored Monk, Captain of the Watch, and Hornet Queen are some other strong options. There are some other good options that also have other nice effects. Knight-Captain of Eos can fog for a turn by sacrificing one of his tokens, while Whirler Rogue can make a creature unblockable by tapping down his spawn.
Your tap/untap shenanigan package is on the weaker side at the moment, but there are some nice options for you to consider. Nullmage Shepherd lets you tap your stuff to blow up artifacts/enchantments while synergizing nicely with tokens, and Adarkar Valkyrie protects your stuff and steal your opponent's. Reconnaissance is a great inclusion in any Derevi deck for giving your team pseudo-vigilance, but can also let you use an attacking creature's tap ability infinitely as long as its free. You can use this to generate infinite mana in the combat step with a mana dork, draw your deck with Arcanis, or activate Adarkar Valkyrie on every creature before wiping the board.
1 week ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
1 week ago
Definitely Fire Diamond, Great Furnace and Mirage Mirror. CITP tap artifacts are super slow, and I was just finding anything at that point, so that will be a strict upgrade. Artifact Lands are fine, but have an extra vulnerability to artifact hate, so that's a pretty easy sub.
Mirage Mirror is just a fun card, but it's nothing super special, and if you're opting for Mana Acceleration at this point, then it's probably first to go.
1 week ago
Great work here. Lots of thought put into the list and plenty of review leaves little to improve. Personally I dislike 3CMC mana rocks unless they are combo centric like Basalt Monolith. Do you think Chromatic Lantern could make room for anything better? Coalition Relic I have some reservations about as well but don't think this two color deck can afford not to run it.
2 weeks ago
Oooh positive ones, I like that idea too!
The Low in Sodium
This player is characterized by being both a good sport when winning and when losing. Rarely, if ever, do they get salty. Common quotes:
- "Dang, that card is awesome!"
- "That was such a close match, I can't believe I actually won."
- "I really like your deck, I can definitely tell you put a lot of hard work into building it."
This player starts first with the goal of making sure everyone has fun in the multiplayer games, and knows how to balance the common goal of winning with the perfect level of power for the group. Common quotes of this player:
- "Tap my Homeward Path so that everyone gets their creatures back."
- "I'm not gonna hit you cause you're mana screwed."
- "I wanna see how your Avacyn, Guardian Angel deck plays out, so I'll play Fog to save you."
The Most Interesting Opponent in the World
This player doesn't always play, but when they do, they play such unique homebrews that you are just blown away by the talent they have in building their interesting decks. Some common quotes:
- "I really wanted to play with Lich, so I built this Selenia, Dark Angel deck so that I can play stuff like Repay in Kind and Reverse the Sands."
- "Have you heard of the Mesmeric Orb Basalt Monolith combo?"
- "At your end step, I am going to cast Kaervek's Spite to sacrifice my entire board, triggering Academy Rector to get Barren Glory."
The Deck Doctor
This player has a lot of experience building decks and playing in the format, so when they offer help, you know the deck is going to get much better. Some common quotes:
- "One of the nice things about playing white is that you get quite a few efficient spot removal cards for any type of permanent!"
- "I see you are playing Tooth and Nail, do you have Craterhoof Behemoth in the deck?"
- "If you are having trouble staying out of topdeck mode, here are some cards in your colors that you can use to keep your hand filled."
2 weeks ago
Mesmeric Orb plus Basalt Monolith lets you mill your entire deck instantly, if you so choose. As self-mill combos go, it's way up there considering the combined CMC, colorless mana and non-creature permanents.