|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Spear of Heliod
Legendary Enchantment Artifact
Creatures you control get +1/+1
1WW, T: Destroy target creature that dealt damage to you this turn.
|Have (5)||JasYper , Pumpkinking913 , Thunderbeard , sonnet666 , metalmagic|
|Want (7)||nichols9112 , NiceKrispyTreat , IggyTheFool , vashaclarens , nClark45 , olivo426 , SpigreQ1129|
Spear of Heliod Discussion
1 week ago
Following up with the previous comment...
2 weeks ago
So I'm trying to make a deck for my friend for his birthday and he likes Greek Mythology, specifically Poseidon, Hades, and Zues in this order. I'm wanting to stay in the Theros block and have 3 deck ideas but I need some advice and criticism because I don't want to make him a weak deck.
Here are what I've made:
The first one is using Heliod because I made this first and forgot there is a god that looks like zues but in MTG Heliod is the "Leader" or Highest ranking or whatever.
The second one is using Keranos and white humans so its 4 colors instead of 3.
The third one is sticking to the block and theme but also sticking to heroic and scry.
I have always been bad about including a safe amount of land in my decks so that is something i really need help with. I also wasn't sure if this was the best way to show the decks or if i should've just copy and pasted each text.
Sorry for the long post. Wasn't sure how to do this.
3 weeks ago
Lets start with your CMC. In order for an aggro deck to be fast, the mana curve for the deck needs to be incredibly low to the ground. With that in mind here are some creatures that are all sub-three CMC:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
- Boros Reckoner
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar
- Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
- Tithe Taker
- Mentor of the Meek
- Ballyrush Banneret
- Haazda Marshal
- Aerial Responder
- Frontline Medic
- Consul's Lieutenant
- Bounty Agent
- Mirror Entity
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip
- Thalia's Lieutenant
- Akroan Hoplite
- Champion of the Parish
- Legion Loyalist
- Metallic Mimic
- Recruiter of the Guard
- Swiftblade Vindicator
- Legion Warboss
You are also gonna need to give your creatures haste, and one of my favorite cards does just that for next to nothing; Mass Hysteria .
Here are a few cards I also think would be really good support, or are staples in this archetype:
- Unbreakable Formation
- Brave the Elements
- Teferi's Protection
- Collective Effort
- Citywide Bust
- Militia's Pride
- Brave the Sands
- Glorious Anthem
- Chance for Glory
- Spear of Heliod
Lastly... I know you said you avoided it intentionally but... I think it was a mistake... You need more ramp. The more ramp you have the faster you can play dudes the faster you can kill someone. So Mana Crypt , Sol Ring , Boros Signet , Chrome Mox , etc. I think you should play at least 5 ramp artifacts to really help you get that overwhelming force, because on T4 you now have to live in fear of WoGs
Ok that's all... he said after posting a page long comment... Sorry. <3 If you need help with cuts anything above 4 cmc should be the first things to go with the exception of Cathar's. get your CMC as close to 2 as you can.
1 month ago
+! My friend!
I won’t lie I’ve neither piloted nor even seen another Darien deck. I also rarely play white so my opinions might be limited but Imma try and throw some helpful suggestions at ya if I can.
Looking through the deck I would say you’re already well on your way to making this thing a real monster. Plenty of what I was originally thinking is already in. Since you’re running Urborg for those shenanigans you might consider Karma . With Urborg out it’ll hurt youre opponents for each land every turn and it’ll make a bunch of dudes for you. Even without it there is almost always someone playing black so it still serves to put some pressure on.
Marshal's Anthem allows for recursion of a key creature when or if its been hated out. The option of multikicking for multiple recursions is also nice.
When I first looked over the list I wanted to say Divine Visitation just because 4/4 angel’s is nicer than 1/1 soldiers lol but part of me wonders if it isn’t a “win more” card here. Unless you’re also willing to slot in Requiem Angel as a means of going infinite with any of your sac outlets.
I personally think Spear of Heliod might be worth a slot in here. Not only does it serve as an Anthem but it double’s as a threat for your opponents should Darien not be out. Even if he is the ability to, at instant speed, destroy anything that deals damage to you is nice. Niv-Mizzet, Parun comes to mind since we have one floating around in our meta.
I also really like Jade Monolith instead because it allows you to get Darien triggers even when you’re opponents are trying to avoid you. Angel's Trumpet might also do some work here. Particularly if it’s combined with Throne of the God-Pharaoh unless I am misunderstanding when the triggers would occur.
That’s all I got currently. Keep up the good work buddy! Glad to see another fan of Darien in the Deckwatch.
1 month ago
- Nyxborn Shieldmate for Boros Reckoner both better creatures and reckoner works amazing with lightmines if u decide to add it
- Palace Guard for Archetype of Aggression
- Darksteel Plate for Whispersilk Cloak since your guys are invincible anyways. this also deters them from being targeted.. boardwipes will still work though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork for Tenza, Godo's Maul if up u this on ur commander hes a 10/7 menance with trample, seems like a better piece
- Armory of Iroas - Sunforger costs a few more mana but u have alot of tricks u can pull out of it for free late game
- Staff of Nin for Mind's Eye
- Avacyn's Collar for Spear of Heliod upgrades all ur doods and makes people scared to attack you
- Manalith for Commander's Sphere an upgrade
- Act of Treason for Faithless Looting card draw with flashback seems always good
- Mass Mutiny - Mob Rule seems like an upgrade
- Miraculous Recovery - Settle the Wreckage amazing board wipe, can really put you ahead. if not interested in a board wipe id suggest maybe a single target removal like Chaos Warp . i feel like you need ways to deal with high pressure threats
- Pay No Heed - Deflecting Palm
- Righteousness for Fight to the Death i know these two cards arent related, but how hilarious would it be to cast this when someone else is combating another player, basically can wipe two players boards if timed proper. if u would prefer to keep a combat trick here i would suggest maybe Gods Willing or something that does not require the creature to be blocking
- Smite - Ride Down
- Warleader's Helix - Savage Beating or Ajani Vengeant i feel helix doesnt provide enough value, for removal it is very weak , if u want good removal to replace this instead of a threats i listed, i would consider Oblivion Ring type cards
- Martial Glory - Boros Charm charm is must include, so much value! protect from boardwipes including land destruction! removal or maybe boost ur commander after blocks with a double strike if some1 is already been hit once and hello 21 commander dmg
1 month ago
Thanks for your second comment. I really appreciate how you have helped me past the required one comment.
I'm not a big fan of Intangible Virtue , as most of my tokens already have Vigilance, but I'll still consider it. I'm definitely adding Dictate of Heliod and Spear of Heliod for Coat of Arms and Luminarch Ascension . I'm also taking out some cards that I thought were not very helpful in this deck, which I'll say in an update.
1 month ago
Oh yeah I would say Helm of the Host would be amazing!! You get multiple triggers on the Oketra ability, so if you have three, one creature will get you 3x 4/4 Zombies. Definitely value.
I think if You want to go really hard into the angel theme, then Luminarch Ascension and Coat of Arms are great, but as you're focusing more on Oketra, I think trying to power her ability will be the best way to complement the deck. Spear of Heliod for example can be a great anthem with a secondary ability. Dictate of Heliod is good and at Flash speed. Intangible Virtue would actually work really well, too.
Because the Angel subtheme is secondary to the main "cast creatures, get zombies" thing, you can consider cutting it in order to streamline the deck :) But of course, that's up to you. If you want to do Angels, you could always sub in Lyra Dawnbringer as your Commander. :)
1 month ago
My Odric deck. You might get some ideas from it. Your land base needs a bit of work: Emeria, The Sky Ruin , Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and Rogue's Passage should be auto includes. Spear of Heliod is good for deterring attackers.
Spear of Heliod occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%