|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Masters Edition III (ME3)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Counter target spell. At the beginning of your next main phase, add an amount of to your mana pool equal to that spell's converted mana cost.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||, ironax , LTmiller , Shiromakuro , CastleSiege , Asyndeton , Harashiohorn , Spinalripper , seajay02|
|Want (60)||zeshon , crusader4321 , Brookzy , prass1 , Brasshatchet , indiefan , isleep2late , XVicarious , cainanunes , TiredTofu , Necrotize , mtgftw2014 , Enivid , Exiled_soul , PookandPie , Moratorius , Dridane , Calin2490 , avrgeboy123 , Rahvin_dom , Achillesftw , aeonstoremyliver , arthurxisde , mtgfortheboyz , buildingadeck , masterosok , ZombieCat , LotusPhi , MagnaAura , villon , Ash3n , gamerhat , kyuuri117 , rainbowofdeath , vishnarg , Donktor_Jcon , MercurioBlue , atomiccloud , wlbreda , chaosumbreon87 , kvfd1719 , firemind12 , ryuzaki32667 , __Tabs , bobafett117 , KingMathoro , XXXSALVATI0NXXX , Wizidross , eleventhend , Orbrunner , kovellen , Guinness530 , theMarc , Forkbeard , itheoryz , GeminiSpartanX , CampbellStev , Hagenizzle , Dimarx , Big-Foot|
Mana Drain Discussion
4 days ago
I guess I'm a little confused on the purpose of what you want this deck to do, in terms of function. Is it sorta Esper goodstuff?
Do you feel you have enough draw and ramp? Your curve is VERY high here (though part of that is due to playing a reanimator deck), and I'm worried you'll run out of cards in the late game. Options like Rhystic Study, Mystic Remora, Phyrexian Arena etc could help you keep your hand full.
Hope this helps a bit!
6 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
6 days ago
Hi, came here from FB.
Hmmm. I don't see the forest for the trees, so to speak: what is the Purpose of this deck? Is it to assemble Basalt Monolith/Rings of Brighthearth combo, and sink the mana into Thrasios? A well-worn path, but not a bad one ;)
In terms of single-card changes: I'd run Mana Confluence over one of your lands (probably Cinder Glade). You're missing Vampiric Tutor, and I'd absolutely run Beast Within before I ran Chaos Warp (unless there's a LOT of indestructible stuff running around in your meta). I'd run Coalition Relic over Commander's Sphere (6-drops on T4 are AWESOME), Toxic Deluge over Damnation, Regrowth over Volcanic Vision, and a Mana Crypt over... most about anything TBH. If you have the money, Mana Drain is a strictly better Counterspell - though I'd probably cut Arcane Denial instead. I'm not confident in hitting the mana cost for Cruel Ultimatum, and I feel that slot could be better used by something else. Finally, I'd look into getting more draw and tutors in the deck, because I feel you'll run out of cards quickly.
Hope this helps!
1 week ago
Apocalypse and Teferi’s protection is a win con, but not a good one. Teferi’s protection is a great card on its own, but Apocalypse is a dead draw most of the time.
You already have Cyclonic Rift to serve as a similar win con. Unlike Apocalypse, Cyclonic Rift does not require additional support to function, and can even be used early in an emergency.
I think the rest of your “must keep” are fine. I am still not entirely sure you have enough support to survive the aggro you are forcing, and I think you are overvaluing Lightmine Field in this deck, but if you think your meta has enough wide, creature-based decks to run it, that is up to you. At the very least, it does weaken creatures so a few multi-blocks by tokens can finish them off.
I think your other cuts are fairly solid. While some of them are very good cards, they all are not the most synergistic in your deck.
The one I am a bit torn on is Toxic Deluge. While this type of wrath could kill your tokens even if indestructible, you are likely to be able to rebuild your creature base faster than your opponents, as your planeswalker token generators will survive. I have not playtested the deck enough, and do not know your meta well enough to know if this is an effective card. If your meta has lots of indestructible creatures floating around, consider this card.
I think you can cut Disallow. Counterspells are not the most useful in multiplayer games, as they tend to be a bit slower and you are using mana for a one-time annoyance to only a single enemy. Cryptic Command gives you options, including a tap option to kill a single player with your tokens, and Mana Drain can let you cast your turn 4 card a turn early - hence why I raise no objection to either.
1 week ago
Storm, the Crow
Legendary Creature - Bird 1/2
Storm the Crow, descending winter unending. Storm, the Crow departing, summer is starting.
On second thoughts, this doesn't fulfill the challenge because it isn't "ok", so I'm going to re-issue the challenge:
Make a Commander that seems okay, than explain why it would get the banhammer as has been happening recently.
1 week ago
I would definitely up the mana base to 35-36 lands, 36 is what usually works best in my opinion.
I've noticed a few Counterspells, and these are some I really love: Render Silent, Insidious Will, Cryptic Command, and Plasm Capture. There's also Mana Drain and OG Counterspell if you are willing to pay.
I've got my own Arcades deck if you want to take a look. One of my best decks I've made, it operates around Aggro-control. Basically you just don't let your opponents play stuff and swing in with some powerful walls.
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 4 | 10 COMMENTS | 233 VIEWS | IN 3 FOLDERS
(My deck can also give you ideas on how you want to construct your mana base)
Good luck building your deck!
2 weeks ago
Hmmm. Cover of Darkness and Mana Drain seem good! Beyond that, more artifacts never hurt...maybe Curse of Opulence? You also don't seem to have many draw effects, so that might be a good place to start (Pirate's Pillage and Pirate's Prize?).
2 weeks ago
I agree with everyone else here, the deck doesn't seem very good. There also doesn't really seem to be a theme/win-con. Scion of the Ur-Dragon is useless, and while Pelakka Wurm was good in standard, it kinda sucks in EDH. You need more cards that make people attack you to take advantage of O-Kagachi (Trove of Temptation is all I can think of off the top of my head).
Board wipes are important in EDH as well. You could go one-sided with In Garruk's Wake or, if counters are a problem, Supreme Verdict. Merciless Eviction is good too, it gets around the pesky indestructible stuff.
Long story short, I agree with DrkNinja. The deck isn't very good and "it's almost like 5 Color Good Stuff without the Good, just stuff".